• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could change the genre of any game franchise...

NMFried

Would you make Tetris a first-person shooter? How about a Nintendogs MOBA?

All joking aside, what are some franchises whose setting, lore, etc are ripe for games in different genres. Games like Halo Wars and EVE: Valkyrie come to mind.

bluexy

Holy FUCK please make Pokemon into an MMO already. It's so frustrating dealing with a franchise that's so perfectly designed for the kind of social experience the MMO genre provides and instead get gimped by the patented Nintendo diet-multiplayer features.

Renekton

Mass Effect into Star Control 2 (genre), or vice versa

Holy FUCK please make Pokemon into an MMO already. It's so frustrating dealing with a franchise that's so perfectly designed for the kind of social experience the MMO genre provides and instead get gimped by the patented Nintendo diet-multiplayer features.
Subjecting kids to the toxicity of the MMO min-max community sounds pretty scary for a parent.

please no, pokemon as a mmo would be terrible and anyone with extensive knowledge of how pokemon works would agree

Ashtar

Borderlands to a 2d side scroller
4700023_orig.png

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

What is the party dungeon / raid equivalent in pokemon? Wouldn't the entire thing just be pvp? And Gyms aren't dungeons so not those.

Jawmuncher

My answer would be anything Resident Evil.

Resident Evil Fighting Game
Resident Evil Xcom style game
Resident Evil RTS

the franchise can support so much, and I want to see it all.

cwistofu

Dynasty Warriors back to fighting games.

Made by Project Soul.

EDIT: And minus Namco's typical fuckery when it comes to Soulcalibur development.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Take the Souls series summon help mechanic and make that the focus of a game resulting in a type of MMO-lite like Phantasy Star Online.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Deep down I think that is a good idea.

I don't even know if it is, but the Lothric War Banner and Projected Heal miracle they added to the last Dark Souls 3 DLC made me wonder how the game could handle a dedicated support / healer "class", which inserted into the current formula would be bad, but in a PSO type game could be ok.

I'd have loved to play a Halo in the vein of Destiny. Still an FPS so not quite a genre swap, but still. Imagine going from planet to planet fighting covenant, finding​ new pieces or armor and weapons in the form of loot, armor augmentations that grant abilities, appropriating Covenant technology to upgrade weapons and armor, and having RPG like statistics for speed, weapon damage, armor defense, etc. Could even have "magical" abilities similar to how Mass Effect handles its Tech skill tree. Reach or Earth could serve as the Hub world and maybe the Infinity in a sequel. Discovering each of the rings, some shield worlds, the Ark, etc would be neat too. The lore would have already been in place so a competent story could be written. This is assuming that Bungie would have been willing to make it since they've been better with shooting mechanics in their games.
sometimes I wonder if this is the direction they wanted to go with Halo. I remember reading some rumblings of a more open concept Halo back in the day.

One can dream.

Halo into a 3rd person cover shooter like Gears.

Gears into a fps like Halo (OMG imagine how using the Lancer's chainsaw would look?)

Uncharted into an isometric type game (think Bastion)

Horizon Zero Dawn into a metroidvania type.

Alright, bear with me here, because this is nuts.

So you take classic but dead Irrational Games franchise "Freedom Force", a slow-paced top-down tactical arpg featuring original golden-agee and silver-age style superheroes and an fantastic character creator the likes of which probably inspired the likes of City of Heroes and Champions Online

So you take that game

And you make it a co-op, mission-based, arpg brawler with moment-to-moment gameplay in the vein of Infamous.

Otherwise you keep the general cast and story, and the character creation system (with some updates for designing characters visually instead of having to import custom models and skins). You also keep the vertical, highly interactive and destructible environments set in tight sections of the city, no open world.

And absolutely don't update the aesthetics from the obsessively old-school 50s-60s style.

Why? Because I love classic superheroes, love character creators, love co-op games, like more direct gameplay, and generally dislike open worlds. I also loved Freedom Force and its story/cast, realize it will never come back in its classic form, and want more people to experience the campy fun of the franchise.

SephLuis

Bioshock 1 into a horror game.
Bioshock Infinite into Deus Ex

I only like Bioshock 2 for the gameplay and that one can stay a FPS. The others would be better without being FPS.

Killzone -> TPS
Resistance -> TPS with horror elements

Those two exist on PSP.
EDIT: I see your stealth edit.

bluexy

please no, pokemon as a mmo would be terrible and anyone with extensive knowledge of how pokemon works would agree

Ah, man, I'm not trying to make a statement on how the core gameplay would translate into an MMO. That's certainly a puzzle. But I have spent years working in a spectacularly active and passionate Pokemon community and I absolutely feel confident saying that if you put that into a living, breathing MMO world it would flourish spectacularly.

cyber_ninja

Bioshock 1 into a horror game.
Bioshock Infinite into Deus Ex

I only like Bioshock 2 for the gameplay and that one can stay a FPS. The others would be better without being FPS.

Those two exist on PSP.

Both are spin-offs and being held back by hardware limitations. I'd love to see Killzone to take an approach similar to Vanquish, while Resistance would be similar to Gears with atmosphere of Resistance fall of men and crazy weapons Insomniac is famous for.

Should have been 1st post.

Fancolors

Rule of Rose would work so much better if it was an adventure game or a visual novel. It has a stellar atmosphere, but the clunky movement and combat just hurts it.

Paper Mario into an RPG

Why do you hurt me.

Cmon Miyamoto, just us what we want. I wish we had a TTYD2 or something :(

sjay1994

Souls/ Bloodborne into a platinum game.

Or fuck it, From should make a hunting game. I had a lot of fun helping people with bosses when I was grinding sunlight medals.

Atomski

Mass Effect into Star Control 2 (genre), or vice versa

Subjecting kids to the toxicity of the MMO min-max community sounds pretty scary for a parent.
Just sounds a lawsuit in the making.. the game has always been aimed at kids and the social experience of MMOs should really be restricted to adults.

Speely

Banned
Real talk:

Skies of Arcadia into a MMO. The original is one of my favorite games ever, but it was good enough that I don't need a sequel to try to recapture what it did with better visuals.

The setting is amazing, and would be a great backdrop for a MMO. Various pirate bands. Ship combat, complete with players operating different parts of the ship. Territory battles over islands. An expanded elemental system.

Moons as raids. Whatever!

So many things could be done if this setting was social.

Teletraan1

Banned
I would turn Final Fantasy 7 remake into a classic ATB RPG. I think it could be good if not great. Just a feeling though.

RedSwirl

Tomb Raider makes more sense as an adventure game. The pre-reboot ones essentially were adventure games with light combat. Open-world Tomb Raider should have pretty much been Zelda but with Lara Croft.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Top Bottom