• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch ranked competitive matchmaking is the most one sided atrocity EVER.

ohkay

Are you a troll or something? I couldn't make a more idiotic, low-effort post if I wanted to. I'm sorry that Overwatch touched you at some point in your life. The trauma has clearly left you upset and incomprehensible. I apologize if I have added to your suffering.
If you've seen his other posts, you'd know the answer

Are you a troll or something? I couldn't make a more idiotic, low-effort post if I wanted to. I'm sorry that Overwatch touched you at some point in your life. The trauma has clearly left you upset and incomprehensible. I apologize if I have added to your suffering.

im sorry that you arent good at anything and overwatch participation trophies ar eyour sole comfort

im sorry that you arent good at anything and overwatch participation trophies ar eyour sole comfort

Actually, I told myself I wasn't going to give you an actual reply, but then I noticed something.

You've been complaining nonstop about a game since August of last year. Almost an entire year of your life has been spent bitching about a video game. I went from thinking you were a loser to feeling actually legitimately bad for you. Get some help. Go see a therapist or something. Honestly. There is more to life than being salty over a game on the internet. Or trying to make other people salty. Or whatever you are doing. Take a break, man.

Mr_Moogle

It's not just ranked. Even when I'm playing QP I frequently notice that teams aren't properly matched by level. It's extremely frustrating when the oppoisng teams has hundreds if not thousands more hours of experience than yours.

Trickster

It's not just ranked. Even when I'm playing QP I frequently notice that teams aren't properly matched by level. It's extremely frustrating when the oppoisng teams has hundreds if not thousands more hours of experience than yours.

What does hours played have to do with skill? I could have played tens of thousand of matches, but if my aim was terrible I would obviously still get destroyed by the level 20 player who can actually aim

No one plays the objective...unless you have a team/group.

I can't play it solo...It's infuriating.

Just not true at all man. I've seen stream of players who are litterally sub 1k SR, where they still push cart and try to capture points

It's pretty impressive that you made it to GrandMaster in only a few hours after the game had already been out for a several months, props.

im not sure where you are going with this. ive played nearly 15 hours total of overwatch. doesnt take much to be grandmaster in this game

Hahaha what is this thread?

I stopped reading at "because Eichenwalde is a garbage map".

Matchmaking seems fine to me. Low gold on PS4. People play like crap, I'm raging. All good.

cHaotix8

The matchmaking is good enough. My issue comes from players making awful choices or not caring about winning. Defense is running Torb, Sym, Hog? Nah, my Genji gotta do this work. Offense is running Pharah, Mercy, Zarya? It's cool, my Junkrat is sick.

The best advice I could offer if you want to get out of elo hell is learn a character that can change a game on their own. Hog, Soldier and Ana are good bets. Reaper sucks.

Adjust for counters, don't be stubborn. If you aren't getting medals in elims as DPS you should be playing a different role. Use quick play to work on those characters until you can consistently get kills and learn proper positioning.

Don't run certain lineups just because "Meta" (2-2-2).

8byte

Banned
I'm always just stunned when people simply can't have fun *unless* they're winning.

That just sounds like an awful way to exist, lol.

messiaen

There is no way of solving this in a fair way. No game that I know of has succeeded.
Penalize the person who left and nullify the game for those who stayed till the end. Of course have some conditions so people don't abuse this, but I think a solution can be found.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I mentioned in the Overwatch thread, but outside separating Team and Solo. This is the next issue I would touch on. Where I do believe a gradual increase to rank for games played is good. Someone who is 50/50 with 40 games played and someone who is 50/50 at 500 games play probably aren't going to be equal. It won't be enough to magically shoot them from Plat to Diamond, but having the 500 game played person some 100 to 150 SR higher due to experience should offset it.

It would help a bit with some of the fluxing. Where someone goes from 2800 down to 2200, back to 2900, back to 2100, etc.

Penalize the person who left and nullify the game for those who stayed till the end. Of course have some conditions so people don't abuse this, but I think a solution can be found.

As stated, if you are not the issue ever. It should happen on the other team more than you. The system is fine. If it's early on, game cancels out. If it's later, then you can leave after 2 minutes. If the game is 3 minutes in and someone leaves, I think it's just bad luck on your end. Nor should they make it an out for your team. If the game is already lost(Team breaks down). Typically, someone leaving isn't going to stop it.

I wouldn't be against more severe penalties for leavers.

cHaotix8

I'm always just stunned when people simply can't have fun *unless* they're winning.

That just sounds like an awful way to exist, lol.

It's called competitive mode, lol. I don't mind losing a match that was well played. But losing at the character select screen or bad team play/throwers isn't fun at all.

8byte

Banned
It's called competitive mode, lol. I don't mind losing a match that was well played. But losing at the character select screen or bad team play/throwers isn't fun at all.

Sorry. I just don't share that experience. Sure, it's considerably less fun when someone intentionally throws the match...but losing because the team got bested doesn't magically ruin my enjoyment.

Everyone thinks they know the metric by which "skill" should be measured, but it's simply not an easy task. The more complicated you get in measuring "good matches" then the slower matches get made.

This isn't a unique problem to Overwatch, and it's been a "problem" in all shooters. Stop relying on "winning" as your only "fun loop" in team based games, I guess.

Ambient80

im not sure where you are going with this. ive played nearly 15 hours total of overwatch. doesnt take much to be grandmaster in this game

LOL, oh please, show us all your rankings. From all accounts, too, please. 15 hours is barely enough to even be able to join a competitive match.

cHaotix8

Sorry. I just don't share that experience. Sure, it's considerably less fun when someone intentionally throws the match...but losing because the team got bested doesn't magically ruin my enjoyment.

Everyone thinks they know the metric by which "skill" should be measured, but it's simply not an easy task. The more complicated you get in measuring "good matches" then the slower matches get made.

This isn't a unique problem to Overwatch, and it's been a "problem" in all shooters. Stop relying on "winning" as your only "fun loop" in team based games, I guess.

Lol, I literally said I didn't mind losing well played matches, "well played" being defined as orchestrating our team to be beneficial to each other as well as making a conscious effort to achieve our goal in a way that has realistic chance at being successful. But losing a match in a team game when there's no team based strategy involved or teamwork? That's not even playing the game. People picking what they want to pick and just doing whatever isn't teamwork. There's nothing fun about players feeding the enemy one at a time instead of going in together, would you agree with that?

8byte

Banned
Lol, I literally said I didn't mind losing well played matches, "well played" being defined as orchestrating our team to be beneficial to each other as well as making a conscious effort to achieve our goal in a way that has realistic chance at being successful. But losing a match in a team game when there's no team based strategy involved or teamwork? That's not even playing the game. People picking what they want to pick and just doing whatever isn't teamwork. There's nothing fun about players feeding the enemy one at a time instead of going in together, would you agree with that?

Of course I disagree, primarily because I understand it's not a solvable problem.

You're asking for a change in human nature, not the game or the matchmaking.

You simply can't force teamwork, no matter how hard you try to workout a solution for matchmaking. It isn't possible. What, do you punish people who die a lot and boot them from the game?

The solution is: Play with a team of players you know.

That's the only way you'll solve your problem with this or any other game. That's just the reality of the situation. Live with it, or maybe move on to something a bit less real focused, I guess.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Even if it were one-sided your time on average would be evenly divided between the winning and losing sides.

Another thing to consider when looking at reported SR in matches is that you can't fall below certain ranks regardless of how bad you're playing. If you look up those higher level players in the match some/all of them will have a current SR much lower than their high. Plenty of platinums that will be playing at gold level at any given point in time, for example.

cHaotix8

Of course I disagree, primarily because I understand it's not a solvable problem.

You're asking for a change in human nature, not the game or the matchmaking.

You simply can't force teamwork, no matter how hard you try to workout a solution for matchmaking. It isn't possible. What, do you punish people who die a lot and boot them from the game?

The solution is: Play with a team of players you know.

That's the only way you'll solve your problem with this or any other game. That's just the reality of the situation. Live with it, or maybe move on to something a bit less real focused, I guess.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Fortunately, I usually have a team to play with when it's time for comp on my main account.

You can't filter out bad team play in matchmaking, but you can help shed some insight into what bad habits lead to poor match results, which was the initial purpose of my post. If people are struggling to get wins consistently at any level, those things are probably the smallest yet most impactful changes they could make to help improve their situation.

Ambient80

has this person ever shown any proof of grandmaster? i've always seen the constant complaining but nothing else

Not sure, never seen their posts before. But yeah, GM within 15 hours of playing? lol, no. Like I said, I'm not even sure someone just starting the game could hit level 25 within 15 hours of play, never mind actually understanding the intricacies of all of the characters and the comp metas.

This is the thing for me. You win some you lose some, sometimes you get a shitty team, whatever. But like if I'm on attack and somebody picks widowmaker and just sits as far away as they can taking random pot shots, and I'm stuck trying to get someone else to pick either tank or healer cuz I will play either but I can't play both, at some point I just want to get it over with so I can get to a real game. It's just not fun to me unless there's at least a little bit of a sense of cooperation or objective or just at least people having some self-awareness of what they're doing other than picking a character that looks cool and shooting until you die. I'll take the L but I wanna get to a fun game.

Maybe the game could use a 'forfeit' button like Rocket League? But I also understand the player psychology reasons you might not include that. I don't know. It's just really fun when you get at least a marginally competent team and when you don't so often it's disappointing.

cuilan

My only issue with competitive mode is the placement matches. In one season I lose 3 out of 10 placement matches and I'm placed in 2850, now in the latest season I only lose 1 out of 10 placement matches and I'm placed in 2500. Makes no sense.

Not sure, never seen their posts before. But yeah, GM within 15 hours of playing? lol, no. Like I said, I'm not even sure someone just starting the game could hit level 25 within 15 hours of play, never mind actually understanding the intricacies of all of the characters and the comp metas.

I hit level 25 in 13 hours, and I was a bit lax about it. I'm not sure about grandmaster, as some matches can take nearly an hour, but it's definitely possible to get into ranked within 15 hours.

Ambient80

I hit level 25 in 13 hours, and I was a bit lax about it. I'm not sure about grandmaster, as some matches can take nearly an hour, but it's definitely possible to get into ranked within 15 hours.

Yeah, I figured it would be close. Let's be generous and say they got there in ten hours. Five hours to get to GM? Sorry, I wanna see some receipts on that. Pro players on smurf accounts would have a hell of a time doing that, let alone some random player who is brand new to the game.

cHaotix8

My only issue with competitive mode is the placement matches. In one season I lose 3 out of 10 placement matches and I'm placed in 2850, now in the latest season I only lose 1 out of 10 placement matches and I'm placed in 2500. Makes no sense.

From what I've read and experienced, placement matches will put you +/- 100 points of your final rank for the previous season depending on how many games you won or lost. It doesn't start from scratch every season, but uses your hidden MMR to calculate how many points you gain/lose.

LOL, oh please, show us all your rankings. From all accounts, too, please. 15 hours is barely enough to even be able to join a competitive match.

Unless that 15 hours is all comp time... He spent half of that just getting into comp. Only way to hit Master+ that fast is to start placement with a High Plat/Low Diamond group of players that are Master+ quality and rolling a train over everyone you play. And with that amount of total playtime I'm going to argue he was carried more than anything. Dude isn't a Master of anything without a receipt.

Hell, my regular group fell apart the last week due to real life obligations. I tanked 1,000 SR solo queuing because I was impatient waiting for everyone to be back. It has taken 3 straight nights of constant winning to regain that. I still call BS.

Linkark07

Banned

Tell that to me. Lost 3 out of 10, got placed in 1800 something.

My experience with Overwatch ranked was brief, and awful.

It was a while ago, probably 3 months or so.

I joined a game. 2 people on my team left. Guess they disconnected or whatever.

The remaining 3 players of my team left.

It was 1 vs 6.

I stayed for 1 round, fought them for a bit, messed around, but they weren't especially friendly or fun to play against in a 1 vs 6 (they weren't willing to give me a chance, just wanted to spawn trap me etc).

So I left.

After leaving, the game told me I had been punished for leaving a game, and would earn a fraction of the rewards for the next 10 games.

I don't know if this has been fixed now, but it was singlehandedly the worst treatment I have ever felt I have experienced at the hand of a games developer. I was the one that stayed till there till none of my team mates were left, and I received what I considered to be, severe punishment for doing so.

That was the last time I played the game since this uprising co-op thing recently. Which seems alright, but I don't trust Blizzard to manage a ranked system.

HoodWinked

reason this happens is because it uses the current skill rating of the player to determine the match making.

many players will have a diamond rank emblem but their actual rating is in the 2500 rating.

Same. It's mostly based on where you ended up last season more than anything. You're pretty much playing to keep your old rank depending on where you ended. If you were ranked decently high (mid-Diamond+) you can pretty much dive in your placements and not lose any ground.

I went 9-1 in placement this season and gained no ground from where I left off at the end of the previous season. Last season we had a real bad luck streak during placements and I still placed in the exact same spot as this season. After the first two seasons placements just don't mean anything to me anymore. I know where I'm ending up win or lose.

Azzanadra

OP may have a point here, I am but a lowly silver scrub but this is how most of the matches go- one team dominates, captures both points/moves both payloads to the end, while the other team fails to even capture the first/point payload let alone do the other objectives. And for kind of the hill mode one team gets like 3 victories in a row. Its rare to get an actually balanced match that looks like it could go either way, usually one team just dominates and I have been on both the receiving and losing end of this dichotomy.

Ogodei

In Splatoon, when teammates drop and you lose they decrease the amount of points lost proportional to how inbalanced the teams were

Basically. It creates a good incentive because if you are good enough to win in a 3v4 condition, you can get crazy points, but if you lose as you likely will, you aren't punished as bad (although i feel like Nintendo could've done better with rating how you lost points).

I remember one time where the 4th player on my team didn't even load into the match, we got stomped but only lost 1 point over it.

Of course, the flipside was punishing you with an L if you disconnected for any reason, including problems with Nintendo servers.

JHall

Don't listen to Icecold, he's a known troll in the community thread. He comes in there once a month to complain about something.

Haven't read the whole thread, but is there any reason not to penalize people based on how they entered the match? Like if you solo queue and some random on your team quits, you don't get penalized. But if you entered the match in a group with that person, you are penalized.

This is how it should be. If you solo queue and someone leaves you should not lose SR for losing. That leaving guy just screwed 5 other people, it's a crap system where they all need be punished for it.

If a group however, the remaining group members should lose SR, to stop the obvious exploit. If the leaver not in the group, should no SR loss for them.

Top Bottom