• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA sues Bridgestone and Jerry Lambert (Kevin Butler actor) over Game On promotion

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well they can never use him again as part of their marketing so I'd be a little upset too.

really? wasn't it just that one Bridgestone Wii promotional commercial? And wasn't it pulled within a matter of days from airing?

How hard would it be to get some writers to 'ret-con' it in a new Kevin Butler campaign?
Hell, it would be funny and perfectly in line with the already tongue-in-cheek style that's been established.

I disagree. I had seen it on a major TV channel multiple times around then.
I hadn't, and if I did I doubt I'd have made the connection to Kevin Butler. This whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth regarding Sony to be honest. Knee jerk reactions are the worst.

Zoe

That's their own damned fault by bringing the ad to people's attention. I'd have probably never even known about it otherwise.

It was all over this forum and other game sites. People made the case for them with all the jokes about Kevin Butler switching teams.

The Kevin Butler ads were detrimental to advertising PlayStation games anyway. It brought awareness back to platform, but the ads for games that featured him became all about Butler, not the game. And I think the later ads basically became a platform for the Kevin Butler character and even the PlayStation branded element weakened in the light of his popularity.

Was it the Resistance 3 ad that featured him riding a horse and talking in his distracting, over-the-top manner? Yeah, not a good idea when trying to sell a game. He was best used as a short term thing an maybe someone you brought back when you needed him (Kevin Butler could have had a good campaign for Vita, no doubt), not something that was stuffed down the throats of viewers like he was.

It's weird to say, but Sony's probably better off without him, provided they can make a solid image for themselves with their new ad firm. This whole deal with the lawsuit has been pretty silly from day one, though, and it's not doing any favors for Sony in the short term to get rid of their most effective ad campaign in years.

It was all over this forum and other game sites. People made the case for them with all the jokes about Kevin Butler switching teams.
I thought I first saw it in this thread... My point is that I highly doubt many people would still be talking about now without the litigation. It would just be another odd thing that happened that few people would give a damn about at this point. Sony just chose to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Top Bottom