• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: How the fuck do they all understand each other?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also I believe that tekken is a commentary that even in a world where everyone can understand each other, violence is still inevitable, showing man's inhumanity towards man.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Maybe someday they'll have contact lenses you can wear that show subtitles in real life.

Dehnus

Am I supposed to believe that every character is able to understand all the different languages? This is my first Tekken since forever ago was it always like that? It kinda took me out of the game a bit, What do you guys think?
They don't? That's why they beat the living tar out of each other.

It's been like this since Tekken 4 (or at least that's where this kind of started). I like that each character speaks their native tongue though it does get a little weird in this game with so many characters talking to each other so much. I feel like the idea that Nina at least understands multiple languages makes sense what with her globetrotting assassin lifestyle, so she's probably picked up at least a basic understanding of multiple languages, but outside of examples like that there is some goofiness here.

Something I loved in Tekken 4 is that before they found a Korean voice actor for Hwoarang he just spoke English. As a result, during a cut scene between Hwoarang and Jin in Tekken 4 Jin spoke to Hwoarang in broken English (though one would think Hwoarang understands Japanese cause didn't he go to the same Japanese school as Jin?). It was Jin's Japanese voice actor speaking real deal broken English and it was fucking rad. What made it even better was that it only happened in that scene. The rest of the cutscenes Jin's in Tekken 4 he spoke Japanese. It kind of bums me out that Tekken 7 didn't try something like that in some cutscenes but I'm sure something like that is a nightmare to make happen. Just use the MGS3 logic and pretend that everyone is actually speaking the same language (that language being Russian).

I actually like that! I can curse Eddy in Portuguese and laugh at Miguel's Spanish

Is Miguel's spanish of south american accent or castillian spanish?

EDIT Just watched a video of Tekken 7. Castillian spanish, they also use a real spanish voice actor (not of the best one, but at least he is a professional). Reminds me to the good work that Nintendo did with Punch-Out!! wii actually using a spanish voice actor for Don Flamenco.

EDIT Although the way he speaks is very stilted and bad, probably the writer being bad and trying to translate from japanese directly to spanish the script.

Shifty

I'll take international voice actors speaking their native tongue over american ones doing bad accents any day.

lupinko

I think Virtua Fighter was doing this before Tekken picked it up. I thought it was a neat detail that each fighter from different parts of the world are speaking their language rather than have every person speaking Japanese.

Every Chinese and Japanese character in VF speaks Japanese (Jean included as well), and all the other characters just speak English.

The only serieses that tried to do this prior was SF Alpha and SF3. But only Tekken does it to this scale. They should be commended for it for really.

Doomshine

I think Virtua Fighter was doing this before Tekken picked it up. I thought it was a neat detail that each fighter from different parts of the world are speaking their language rather than have every person speaking Japanese.

When was this? Last I checked they all speak Japanese or English in VF.

EDIT: beaten

Ash735

G-Corp invented a translation broadcasting global system that automatically translates all languages, even that of animals if they are trying to talk to humans. This came about after Tekken 4 and the attack on the Hon-Maru, which is why characters are now free to speak their native tongue and let the translator do the work. It uses over air broadcasting to affect peoples brains.

Actually I just made that up, but it sounds plausible enough for Tekken

Menitta

There's a scene where Heihachi is speaking Japanese, Nina is speaking English, and Claudio is speaking Italian. Too each other. It's the best/worst.

Am I supposed to believe that every character is able to understand all the different languages? This is my first Tekken since forever ago was it always like that? It kinda took me out of the game a bit, What do you guys think?

Ich verstehe euch doch auch alle. Ich weiß gar nicht was dein Problem ist.

Bis später ihr komischen Oktopus Typen!

Renekton

DerZuhälter;242157271 said:
Ich verstehe euch doch auch alle. Ich weiß gar nicht was dein Problem ist.

Bis später ihr komischen Oktopus Typen!
你到底什么意思,我不是八爪鱼。

Business

Haven't played Tekken since PS1 but if they do this I applaud them.

I find it really off putting in SFV when for example Laura speaks English instead of Brazilian Portuguese.

Top Bottom