• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is America the best at Football (american)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubanb

Banned
So a friend and I were debating about the greatest sport in the history of mankind, the National Football League. I kept talking about how great the NFL was. It holds my interest throughout the whole year. I love baseball too, but nothing compares to football season. I know that football is an American thing (I do not count that abomination known as the Canadian Football League).

I asked my friend if football was an Olympic event, would America always win.

The obvious arguments come from America's failures in some Olympics for basketball and the World Baseball Classic. However, nobody else plays football.

If Football(American) was a worldwide sport and there was worldwide competition, would America be dominate? Could a USA football team run the table on the rest of the world? Or once other countries played real football, they would catch up quickly?

It might take a while, but we would eventually lose our edge, just as we lost our edge in fat people.

That last part, in and of itself, should lead you to worry about our offensive line.

Zhengi

You could probably run a high school football team out there to represent the USA and they would steam roll their way to a gold medal.

If it was an olympic sport, USA would clearly dominate it for at least 5 olympics (even with "best rookies" team), considering it gained a strong popularity in other countries. Then it would become somewhat challenging to the US. Those countries with rugbi or other types of football (like Australia) would probably be the ones to challenge the United States initially.

Pollux

If it was an olympic sport, USA would clearly dominate it for at least 5 olympics (even with "best rookies" team), considering it gained a strong popularity in other countries. Then it would become somewhat challenging to the US. Those countries with rugbi or other types of football (like Australia) would probably be the ones to challenge the United States initially.

Good rugby player doesn't really mean a good football player...

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The rest of the world doesn't give a shit about American football, with the exception of the Super Bowl.

hirokazu

You gotta feel pretty bad at what a failure of a country it is if America wasn't the best at a sport called American Football.

Good rugby player doesn't really mean a good football player...

Eh? I'm talking about physical predisposition and usual training with adolescents. If american football rules gained traction in those countries, they would have a more prepared youth due to the already following to those sports. Still would be just a "challenge" because they would need staff oriented enough to coordinate on par with the US. Most likely US college coaches a B-League coaches would jump in at those jobs though.

cubanb

Banned
My title got changed back to my title "Is America the best at Football (american)?"

Thanks! real discussion!

M.Bluth

Or once other countries played real football, they would catch up quickly?
What's this bullshit?

The rest of the world doesn't give a shit about American football, with the exception of the Super Bowl.

I tried watching the Super Bowl once.. They kept stopping the "ball" and having the players rearrange themselves, over and over again.. What's up with that? >.>

cubanb

Banned
This thread wasn't mean to be inflammatory. I was just wondering if it was a worldwide sport, how that would change the makeup of the sport.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Being serious now, it's nearly impossible to ever know. What if tree climbing was an Olympic sport? Would a country (ex: america) be the best at it? We may never know.

Derrick01

Banned
We would probably steamroll the world like the dream team did. In the future it would depend if football caught on in the rest of the world like it did with basketball. The people in those countries were so in awe of the dream team's athletic and talent domination that they wanted to play basketball.

Pollux

We would probably steamroll the world like the dream team did. In the future it would depend if football caught on in the rest of the world like it did with basketball. The people in these countries were so in awe of the dream team's athletic and talent domination that they wanted to play basketball.
A football game would be even more dominant. The packers or giants against whoever France trots out? HahahahahahahahahahahHahahahahah. Mercy rule by the end of the first quarter.

cubanb

Banned
We would probably steamroll the world like the dream team did. In the future it would depend if football caught on in the rest of the world like it did with basketball. The people in those countries were so in awe of the dream team's athletic and talent domination that they wanted to play basketball.

It happened so quickly that I feel it could happen in football too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
New Zealand, south africa and australia (or any rugby nation) will be a small challenge in the beginning and more serious competition as they get in more practice and experience. Though they would probably laugh at all the armour you'd have to wear first.

Pollux

It happened so quickly that I feel it could happen in football too.
Football is more technical than basketball though. And the game, overall, is very cerebral. It is a very intellectual game and you can't just teach it overnight. It would take longer than basketball.

New Zealand, south africa and australia (or any rugby nation) will be a small challenge in the beginning and more serious competition as they get in more practice and experience. Though they would probably laugh at all the armour you'd have to wear first.
that, and Canada with CFL, would be you closest.

But then again, this question I'd as serious as asking about beer pong as Olympic sport.

Dead Man

Football is more technical than basketball though. And the game, overall, is very cerebral. It is a very intellectual game and you can't just teach it overnight. It would take longer than basketball.

It's not that complicated man. For players anyway. Coaches would be imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom