• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripenen

OK superstar is any player who has had a national TV ad campaign.

LeBron
Curry
KD
Melo
Griffin
CP3
Love
Lillard
DeAndre Jordan
PG

OK superstar is any player who has had a national TV ad campaign.

LeBron
Curry
KD
Melo
Griffin
CP3
Love
Lillard
DeAndre Jordan
PG

Are you forgetting someone?

sasquatch2.jpeg

Bread

Banned
When people say teams need a superstar to compete I don't think they're talking about a marketable player or a guy like Melo who hasn't played like a superstar for years.

Cornbread78

When people say teams need a superstar to compete I don't think they're talking about a marketable player or a guy like Melo who hasn't played like a superstar for years.

I hear ya, that's why I had him as a ?. He still should be a super, but he took a was of cash in NYC and started retirement early.

It's going to be fun when the other team's coach realizes Thomas can't play defense at all.

Harden also can't play defense and he's likely winning MVP. Kyrie is even worse on defense and some people think he's the best non CP3 PG in the league. When you're that good on offense like IT is, you can get away with not being too hot on defense.

I can't believe we're even having a discussion about IT being a superstar when it was established that Demar DeRozan is one.

Servbot24

Banned
I listen to SAS, Skip and Colin at work and I hate every minute of it, but I keep listening. There is something deeply wrong with me

Superstar should be player who can put most teams on a playoff position. Lebron, Durant, Curry, Harden, Kawhi, Westbrook and Chris Paul. That's kinda it.

Rose was a superstar. Butler is first round playoff fodder.

The one player I'm doubtful is Irving. The Cavs team he led a few years ago was more than enough to secure a playoff spot in the East and he failed miserably.

jamsy

So I can't be the only person not nearly as enamored with Westbrook as the media seems to be. Yeah, the guy is talented in a lot of respects, but holy shit, I've never seen a ball hog like this, perhaps ever. The guy makes Kobe look like John Stockton.

I mean, when you're handling the ball 95% of the time and chucking up 40 shots a game, it's really not that hard to get godly statlines. Watching that fourth quarter where he shot the ball 18 times and the rest of the Thunder just stood there was painful (although it's hard to blame his teammates when they knew they were never going to get the ball). Sure, you can say the rest of his team sucks, but I dunno, he was 8 for 49 from the three point line in the Rockets series for God's sake.

SAS is obnoxious. I just can't listen to him yell all day anymore. It was fun when Skip was there, but Max doesn't have a lot of charisma so it just looks like an angry dude fucking yelling for no reason. Skip to me is a troll. I just don't think he believes a lotta things he says, and his new show esp now is entertaining as hell. I also laugh every time Shannon yells Skeeup. Those two have some of the best chemistry in any show, esp in the last 2-3 months. It looks like they've completely found their groove. Main reason I listen to Colin now is #masources aka Broussard. Even though I don't always agree with him, he seems objective a lot of time and offers good insight on a lot of subjects. I like listening to Skip and Colin (due to his guests) more than mr yells all the time.

Since ESPN fired everybody.. I'm kinda hoping FOX hires Strauss so he & Broussard make a new show together. Even if it's a weekend podcast, I think they'd be good together.

So I can't be the only person not nearly as enamored with Westbrook as the media seems to be. Yeah, the guy is talented in a lot of respects, but holy shit, I've never seen a ball hog like this, perhaps ever. The guy makes Kobe look like John Stockton.

I mean, when you're handling the ball 95% of the time and chucking up 40 shots a game, it's really not that hard to get godly statlines. Watching that fourth quarter where he shot the ball 18 times and the rest of the Thunder just stood there was painful (although it's hard to blame his teammates when they knew they were never going to get the ball). Sure, you can say the rest of his team sucks, but I dunno, he was 8 for 49 from the three point line in the Rockets series for God's sake.
You're not, I just had an argument with a guy who falls under that charm just a few pages ago. WB is a beast but extremely flawed one.

Boogs31

I don't really see Wall as being a significant step over Irving, especially since Irving pushed Cavs to get a ring.

Wall has led multiple teams to the playoffs as their best player. Kyrie as a team's best player could barely win 25 games. Wall is a significantly better passer, defender and driver. LeBron pushed the Cavs to a ring. Without him, the Cavs are in the lottery.

Everyone over rates Kyrie because he's really great at one or two things (Shooting, iso scoring). Those two things make him a perfect compliment to LeBron because Kyrie can play off the ball with his shooting, and can get his own shot when LeBron rests. But LeBron makes up for all of Kyrie's deficiencies as a point guard. LeBron makes everyone on the team better with his passing/playmaking. If you don't have that, all you have is Kyrie taking 30 shots and everyone else watching.

Wall has led multiple teams to the playoffs as their best player. Kyrie as a team's best player could barely win 25 games. Wall is a significantly better passer, defender and driver. LeBron pushed the Cavs to a ring. Without him, the Cavs are in the lottery.

Everyone over rates Kyrie because he's really great at one or two things (Shooting, iso scoring). Those two things make him a perfect compliment to LeBron because Kyrie can play off the ball with his shooting, and can get his own shot when LeBron rests. But LeBron makes up for all of Kyrie's deficiencies as a point guard. LeBron makes everyone on the team better with his passing/playmaking. If you don't have that, all you have is Kyrie taking 30 shots and everyone else watching.

This is spot on and don't even know how people can argue this.

Ronin Ray

The real question is Kyrie better the Conley? I don't think he is .

Boogs31

The real question is Kyrie better the Conley? I don't think he is .

No, he's not. Conley is better. In the same way Kyrie is over rated for being great at a couple things, Conley is underrated because he's NOT great at anything. He's just good to really good at almost everything.

Can't argue with any of this, TBH.

holy fuck just saw this on reddit cousins was spotted wearing rockets clothes.
holy fuck hes going to rockedts?

Gonna need more from you on this one.

Qaloon

Lowry better than Kyrie (playoffs notwithstanding), Wall better, Conley better.

IT is a player much in the same vein as Kyrie, but I prefer Kyrie in playoff basketball (short guards are problematic)

Gigglepoo

Bill Simmon wrote a great piece about CP3 today. He articulated what I failed to the other night when I asked if Paul ever scores 30. As great as he is, he never carries a team for four quarters like the best Point Guards.

Harden also can't play defense and he's likely winning MVP. Kyrie is even worse on defense and some people think he's the best non CP3 PG in the league. When you're that good on offense like IT is, you can get away with not being too hot on defense.

I can't believe we're even having a discussion about IT being a superstar when it was established that Demar DeRozan is one.

There's a huge difference between a minus defenders and someone who physically can't guard anyone on the court. Just look at Kyrie in the Finals. He's a bad defender, right? But he was more than serviceable in that series. No amount of coaching and effort can hide IT, though. Dude is just too damn small.

Boogs31

Kyrie is 25 years old. He was 22 the last time he had the team to himself.

That's a fair point. I would counter with, how much has he actually improved any of his weaknesses in the last three years? He's certainly bolstered his strengths and become an even more dominant iso scorer and shooter, but is he any better at passing, defending or running a team than he was three years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom