• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

nolips

Anyone got a Mooer Pure Octave pedal? I'm tempted because of the price but would love to hear some opinions on it first.

I bought one last month after comparing it at the store with Electro-Harmonix´ Pitch Fork. The Mooer is half the price of the Electro-Harmonix and a bit more bass-heavy, but apart from that I couldn't tell those two apart. A great buy IMO.

So when I bought that explorer at guitar center, the person at the register was telling me how the guy who traded it in had them fix the toggle switch. Well, it turns out they wired it up backwards. And the tone knob is supposed to be a killpot, which also doesn't work. Good old guitar center.

In other news, I bought a new pedal. Its a walrus audio voyager overdrive. It sounds pretty good.
I bought it from riff city guitar so it also came with a cookie.
HhoD93b.jpg

delicious
4Lbg4GL.jpg

Holy shit I just bought another guitar on eBay. That's 2 this week. I have major GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) right now. My wife's gonna be pissed! Maybe I'll hide one of them. Yeah right.

zbarron

Holy shit I just bought another guitar on eBay. That's 2 this week. I have major GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) right now. My wife's gonna be pissed! Maybe I'll hide one of them. Yeah right.
I have the solution. Just give whichever one you like least to me. I'll even pay for shipping. It's the least you could do. I just saved your marriage.

Xun

I bought one last month after comparing it at the store with Electro-Harmonix´ Pitch Fork. The Mooer is half the price of the Electro-Harmonix and a bit more bass-heavy, but apart from that I couldn't tell those two apart. A great buy IMO.
Thanks very much for the information!

Risible

Added a recommendation form just above the resources section. If you folk think there's anything missing tell me.

Why does a guitar store sell cookies?

They don't, they include one with every mail order. Not sure why, it's just their "thing."

I missed a good deal over Thanksgiving of a Fender Super Champ X2 head & cabinet on Craigslist for cheap, because I was out of town (and I already have a SCX2 head). Today I picked up a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special (a Tele with a Jazzmaster neck pickup and neck). I like!

xwQKhqp.jpg

I love to play after work to unwind. Problem is, my GF will have nothing to do with it.

Ive tried headphones. Really nice ones, but its not the same as having it so loud i can feel it in my chest.

What can I do to solve this problem?

I love to play after work to unwind. Problem is, my GF will have nothing to do with it.

Ive tried headphones. Really nice ones, but its not the same as having it so loud i can feel it in my chest.

I actually had to move out of our shared home because of that. Couldn't restain such a big part of my life for long. I had the same problem with just listening to music, tough.

zbarron

Lose the girlfriend? Does your car have aux input? If so a headphone amp and then 3.5mm to 3.5mm to connect the two. If it's still too loud drive to a parking lot before you jam out.

I was half serious about the girlfriend though. It doesn't seem like either of you are willing to compromise on this. I don't know your living arrangements or budget but soundproofing a room might also be an option.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I missed a good deal over Thanksgiving of a Fender Super Champ X2 head & cabinet on Craigslist for cheap, because I was out of town (and I already have a SCX2 head). Today I picked up a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special (a Tele with a Jazzmaster neck pickup and neck). I like!

xwQKhqp.jpg

That's looks sweet!

I was half serious about the girlfriend though. It doesn't seem like either of you are willing to compromise on this. I don't know your living arrangements or budget but soundproofing a room might also be an option.

Cheaper to book a rehearsal room for a few hours, surely?

New GF? Noise cancelling headphones for her?

My partner hates blues; I play blues through a stupidly loud amp. She eats cat food, pickles, and stinky cheese and I still kiss her. I have been with her nearly 16 years and played guitar for 28. Compromise to accommodate the others' interests or WTF is the point?

Have a fight about it.

Armadilo

Banned
OK I'm going to go to a guitar center soon and buy a guitar, guess a good one. $150 max and the set up at guitar center charge $50. An electric acoustic is better right ? what guitars fit this

OK I'm going to go to a guitar center soon and buy a guitar, guess a good one. $150 max and the set up at guitar center charge $50. An electric acoustic is better right ? what guitars fit this

You're probably not going to find a good guitar at a local Guitar Center for $150 (online it's possible, but you can't really tell anything about them from a photo). Also, it annoys me that a large operation like GC wouldn't set-up their guitars as a matter of course. I wouldn't get an acoustic-electric guitar for your first instrument (that's just an acoustic with an on-board pickup and pre-amp anyway). Is there an independent music shop you can go to? Craigslist is your best bet, overflowing with people selling their unused Squier/Epiphone starter packs for ~$100. What style of guitar do you think is coolest? What genre of music do you want to play? Do you have a guitar-playing friend who can go with you?

Alright, GAF. I'm a bassist, but I got some G.A.S for a guitar. I got a $300 budget (lower = better), live in the US, and have an open mind. I also have a Guitar Center relatively close so I can return online stuff there if need be.

I'm looking for a range of punk and alternative sound, going from blink-182, Front Bottoms, to the Toy Dolls. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the Vintage Modified Squier '51, but I wanted to ask you guys first before making a decision.

P.S: My main bass is a Precision with SPB-3s, if that helps. Thx~

To me a Telecaster is a definitive sound, even with distortion. I guess it's "versatile" in that it can play many genres, but tonally it is very specific to my ears. It all comes down to tonal preference I guess.

Anyway, in the spirt of the holidays:

7d23rM8.jpg

NEO0MJ

Truth be told, I'd have bought a humbucker equipped guitar if I could. I feel I'd get more of the tones I want with it.
I considered modding my current one into a HSS but I'm attached to its current form and would hate to ruin it.

Telecaster. I think it's the most tonally flexible guitar.

Really? As opposed to a guitar with HSS pickup configuration? I guess you could modify Telecaster single coils to include humbuckers, but that would be kinda sacrilege.

Truth be told, I'd have bought a humbucker equipped guitar if I could. I feel I'd get more of the tones I want with it.
I considered modding my current one into a HSS but I'm attached to its current form and would hate to ruin it.
Thanks for the replies!

So, I looked for both options and found an HSS in a nice color:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sq...aster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112656280.gc

I'm not sure what to look for when it comes to Teles within my budget, tho. lol

Really? As opposed to a guitar with HSS pickup configuration? I guess you could modify Telecaster single coils to include humbuckers, but that would be kinda sacrilege.
You could wire a Tele with a 4-way switch to put the neck and bridge in series for a humbucker sound. Or just put a humbucker in the neck. I'm only faithful to the Tele bridge.

Armadilo

Banned
You're probably not going to find a good guitar at a local Guitar Center for $150 (online it's possible, but you can't really tell anything about them from a photo). Also, it annoys me that a large operation like GC wouldn't set-up their guitars as a matter of course. I wouldn't get an acoustic-electric guitar for your first instrument (that's just an acoustic with an on-board pickup and pre-amp anyway). Is there an independent music shop you can go to? Craigslist is your best bet, overflowing with people selling their unused Squier/Epiphone starter packs for ~$100. What style of guitar do you think is coolest? What genre of music do you want to play? Do you have a guitar-playing friend who can go with you?

I don't know anybody, I want to take a college class that teaches how to play the acoustic guitar, that would help me learn. So I need a good beginner guitar but with the hope of performing at an open mic night by the end of the year . So a good enough guitar

I don't know anybody, I want to take a college class that teaches how to play the acoustic guitar, that would help me learn. So I need a good beginner guitar but with the hope of performing at an open mic night by the end of the year . So a good enough guitar

Just get one, then. If the open mic(s) you attend let you play a venue/host supplied instrument, I wouldn't bother with any sort of electronic parts— and even if not, you can get a sound hole pickup for fairly cheap in a few months (unless end of the year was in 25 days).

The one other brand new player who chimed in before suggested a Jasmine S1, I think. Who knows if their opinion is any good, or if it's just cognitive dissonance.

In that case, of course you'll want an acoustic. I'm really out of my depth in that area, though. I can say that for all my love for Fender electrics, they have a poor reputation for acoustics (particularly acoustic-electrics, which I don't think you'll want). Martin and Taylor are top-of-the-line, but consequently expensive. Gibson makes great acoustic guitars. Yamaha and Takamine are very popular with beginner guitarists. Go to GC and try out a wide range of guitars. It's easier to tell when you've got a good acoustic vs. what an electric guitar will play like. Buy the one in your price range that feels and sounds the best to you.

Martin and Taylor are top-of-the-line, but consequently expensive. Gibson makes great acoustic guitars. Yamaha and Takamine are very popular with beginner guitarists.

Armadilo already posted that their budget is $100-150 USD (plus some money for a setup)... so, yeah. No Martin/Gibson/Taylor or even the high quality Chinese brands.

the yamaha fg700s is a great entry level acoustic for 200--i'd suggest saving a little more and going for that

Protome

Doesn't really help with the current discussion because afaik they aren't easy to find in the US, but for beginner acoustics in the UK Tanglewood are pretty outstanding for their price.

scotcheggz

xwQKhqp.jpg

That's really nice dude, I was thinking of making a very similar guitar to this in candy apple red as my next custom, but with a jazzmaster trem unit. Didn't realise Squier made this. Saucy. I love shell pink too.

I never post in this thread, but I just finished rebuilding my jazzmaster, it's now officially my most prized possession. I repainted it sonic blue, redone all the wiring (that was a bastard!), put copper shielding inside the body and on the back of the scratch plate and painted the headstock to match the body. Originally it wasn't a matching headstock, so fender purists might cry tears but I don't give a fuck, I doubt I can justify splashing out this much on a guitar again in my lifetime and I love me a matching headstock! It's beautiful and will be cured well enough to be tossed about at my next gig on the 18th!

EVOL 100%

That's really nice dude, I was thinking if making a very similar guitar to this in candy apple red as my next custom, but with a jazzmaster trem unit. Didn't realise Squier made this. Saucy.

I never post in this thread, but I just finished rebuilding my jazzmaster, it's now officially my most prized possession. I repainted it sonic blue, redone all the wiring (that was a bastard!), put copper shielding inside the body and on the back of the scratch plate and painted the headstock to match the body. Originally it wasn't a matching headstock, so fender purists might cry tears but I don't give a fuck, I doubt I can justify splashing out this much on a guitar again in my lifetime and I love me a matching headstock! It's beautiful and will be cured well enough to be tossed about at my next gig on the 18th!

Pics dude, pics

That's really nice dude, I was thinking of making a very similar guitar to this in candy apple red as my next custom, but with a jazzmaster trem unit. Didn't realise Squier made this. Saucy. I love shell pink too
I wish it was shell pink, my favorite guitar color! It's a translucent white. I love the Jazzmaster pickup; it's great in combination with the bridge, too.
Pics dude, pics
Yes! Sounds like a really cool-looking axe.

scotcheggz

I wish it was shell pink, my favorite guitar color! It's a translucent white. I love the Jazzmaster pickup; it's great in combination with the bridge, too.

Yes! Sounds like a really cool-looking axe.

Is it not? Wow, I thought being a VM squire it was a faded shell pink (Like the way the VM Jag has the faded out surf green) in that picture! Still nice though!

Here's some pics of my totally pro project, kitchen paint shop! The shielding eventually pops over the edges to make contact with the plate, but I buffed it first before I finished that part up.

UWvh5vj.jpg

3alHART.jpg

I bought a wiring kit from MOJO pickups rather than being out of the box soldered and ready to go. It was cheaper to do it myself with their kit, plus I was balls deep into the project at this point and thought bugger it, but it was hard and took me maybe three goes to be happy with my soldering... But it was something that really needed doing as the original wiring was knackered with the whole lead circuit not working at all, so the top switch basically acted like a kill switch and it was cheaper to just redo everything from a kit than take it to a tech, crazy as that is.

itKZvQs.jpg

Getting there.. The logo style is too old, but in England it seems your options are limited when it comes to Decals and I'm not overly fussed honestly. As much as I love this neck I'm still umming and ahhing if I should get a custom built one with binding or not anyway.

Bcne8cP.jpg

Just proud of my buff job... Buffing is horrible and I thought it would be a couple hours of smug polishing. Nope.. It took me about 10 hours to buff it to this and more sweat than I care to admit.

haKB1ru.jpg

This is a better representation of the final colour

9GctLHF.jpg

I took it for a final setup and got a new nut made for the bottom 4 strings all .26 and the top 2 both .13 and I LOVE it. The problem I have now is that I replaced so much, that I almost have enough bits and bobs for a second, slightly more road worn Jazzmaster, which is where the telecaster/jazzmaster mashup custom build comes in ;)

Wow, dude that's incredible! You copper-shielded that thing like a pro! I'm itching for another guitar project now that I finished rebuilding my Ibanez Artist.

Anybody buy one of those DIY Guitar kits? I see such mixed reviews about them that it's hard to tell if they're worth it or not. Of course the final result will be inferior to most guitars, but I thought it would be a fun learning project.

zbarron

Wow, dude that's incredible! You copper-shielded that thing like a pro! I'm itching for another guitar project now that I finished rebuilding my Ibanez Artist.

Anybody buy one of those DIY Guitar kits? I see such mixed reviews about them that it's hard to tell if they're worth it or not. Of course the final result will be inferior to most guitars, but I thought it would be a fun learning project.

I've been considering the same thing for my first electric. I like this one since it's prewired. I really should get around to buying a solder. More and more of the projects I want to do seem to use them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V9GOMY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is how one guy's finished one looks/sounds.

Top Bottom