• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE announces that Kurt Angle will return to the ring

IVQ4QLe.gif

Forkball

I, uh, what? Angle returning and Finn vs AJ could be Mania matches. Instead they are just throwing them out there on a nothing PPV. No build up whatsoever. The Shield even threatened to kick Angle's ass ON MONDAY.

#5Weeks

Angle is not a handicapped, and neither is Bryan. They can definitely work one more match if booked right, they don't have many flying shenanigans (and whatever flying thing Bryan did in WWE always sucked donkey balls anyway) so you can set up a nice technical match with tons of takeovers, headlocks and a few suplexes and that's it.

If anything the awful move they do is to themselves, they're blowing the Angle card up on a shitty PPV without even a goddamn world title match, as if they can afford to fire blanks with wrestlemania season around the corner.

I thought Angle was in a position where they were concerned about ever letting him wrestle again when he left the WWE at a time when they didn't even try to give a damn about workers well being. He also had an addiction to pain killers which is something you're always going to be susceptible to. The fact he could hit an Angle slam, tweak his neck, and need to take pain killers again isn't worth the risk. Both Bryan and Daniel's problem is their love for wrestling and their need to do it no matter the risk, this is really bad for both of them.

In corporate terms you're right in that they're blowing the debut. But hey blew their load with Nak by putting him with Ziggler than having him be Jinder's first clean victory. They blew Rood by debuting him then having him off TV for a month before having him debut with a useless wrestler as a face. The blew their entire womens division by having things revolve around Steph then shifting the focus to blond girls no matter how little sense it made when they were having the best women's programs in WWE history on NXT. The expectation is they're going to screw things up on a booking sense, when they did so much to protect Daniel then pull this it's utter bullshit.

Just put Finn in Roman's position when build him as a title contender.

If they still need a good match with 0 build to fill time have Kevin and Styles with a Sami run in to build to Sami/Styles, have some NXT talents perform, or fly the UK guys over and let Bate and Dunne do their thing in-front of a capacity audience.

Paracelsus

I thought Angle was in a position where they were concerned about ever letting him wrestle again when he left the WWE at a time when they didn't even try to give a damn about workers well being. He also had an addiction to pain killers which is something you're always going to be susceptible to. The fact he could hit an Angle slam, tweak his neck, and need to take pain killers again isn't worth the risk. Both Bryan and Daniel's problem is their love for wrestling and their need to do it no matter the risk, this is really bad for both of them.

In corporate terms you're right in that they're blowing the debut. But hey blew their load with Nak by putting him with Ziggler than having him be Jinder's first clean victory. They blew Rood by debuting him then having him off TV for a month before having him debut with a useless wrestler as a face. The blew their entire womens division by having things revolve around Steph then shifting the focus to blond girls no matter how little sense it made when they were having the best women's programs in WWE history on NXT. The expectation is they're going to screw things up on a booking sense, when they did so much to protect Daniel then pull this it's utter bullshit.

Just put Finn in Roman's position when build him as a title contender.

Angle is a draw compared to these other names, if they put Balor people are gonna go "eh, okay". Like I said, they already are pooping themselves by having no world title match in there, it's abominable. Then, the nostalgia (?) reunion of the Shield is busted because of Roman, at this point either you pull the ppv and refund the tickets or have some other major thing. Like I said, pointless damn ppv, make this into a smaller IYH kinda thing and move on to survivor series. Things are spiraling out of control.

I suspect Bryan is gonna screw Angle and they'll set up Bryan vs Angle teams at SSeries.

Angle is a draw compared to these other names, if they put Balor people are gonna go "eh, okay". Like I said, they already are pooping themselves by having no world title match in there, it's abominable. Then, the nostalgia (?) reunion of the Shield is busted because of Roman, at this point either you pull the ppv and refund the tickets or have some other major thing. Like I said, pointless damn ppv, make this into a smaller IYH kinda thing and move on to survivor series. Things are spiraling out of control.

I suspect Bryan is gonna screw Angle and they'll set up Bryan vs Angle teams at SSeries.

Okay, provide me with any modicum of evidence that Kurt's a bigger draw than Daniel? Balor was the first universal champ and was the most over guy on the roster at the time. He's still over despite the shit they've burdened him with since. They're pooping themselves over a guy who clearly isn't over despite being given multiple WM main events. The SHIELD nostalgia would be a draw, Kurt would be a draw, Finn based on the limited time he was pushed as a main eventer would still be a draw. Things were spiralling out of control since they tried to push roman despite him fucking failing, things were spiralling out of control when they decided that Kane coming back would be a selling point over the Shield. The fact is nothing they do is mattering Keyfabe or not and putting Kurt/Bryan at risk because of it is a fucking horrible move.

Carnby

Incredible if you think about it...

This Sunday's TLC will be the 17th anniversary of Kurt Angle's first world title win, to the day.

TraBuch

Banned
If he’s healthy enough for a TLC match, he’s healthy enough for a rematch with Shane McMahon.

Bring back the King of the Ring.

Hesh

They queered the deal with that mini-doc talking about his time away from WWE in TNA, they could have done the same thing they did with Sting and claimed this was Kurt Angle's first wrestling match in a decade after escaping from The Phantom Zone.

gun_haver

Looks good. Just have to make sure he doesn't do anything crazy.

He was actually injured during that match too and apologised later for not being up to his full speed.

But then this is a guy who won a gold medal with a broken freakin neck.

Apdiddy

Relax, I think Angle will be limited in the match. He'll get a hot tag, do his finisher, get the win, that's it.

But Vince McMahon is notorious for thinking people should be able to control their sneezing and not getting sick....so I expect Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns to start jobbing once they are healthy. Why? Because how dare they become sick or be out while working for Vince McMahon.

kiguel182

If they give him a Miz feud after Bryan and Miz were set up perfectly it would be such a slap in the face. After this they kinda have to allow Bryan to wrestle or he will leave.

At the same time, super curious what he will wrestle like. I haven't watched the last PPVs but I'll watch this one.

Finn vs AJ is a nice treat. This one I REALLY want to watch.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What an unceremonious return for Kurt. Also what an unceremonious meeting of AJ and Finn. I mean the card is drastically improved for trading those 2 for Roman and Bray, but it still feels like a let down that these aren't matches at the end of big programs.

DJChuy

How fast will Kurt Angle turn red?

I was kind of looking forward to the Demon King v Bray Wyatt because of the insanity, but AJ Styles replacing Wyatt is even better.

Just weird they choose a Smackdown guy, but you gotta sell those tickets.

painey

Does anyone really think he will wrestle the match? Can't see it not being some sort of fuckery to keep him out and set up a 1 v 1 match at SummerSlam

Mahonay

Banned
Does anyone really think he will wrestle the match? Can't see it not being some sort of fuckery to keep him out and set up a 1 v 1 match at SummerSlam
Usually WWE goes through with their match announcements. He'll be wrestling this Sunday. Lol they are not going to wait until next year's SummerSlam. But they definitely should have saved his comeback for Mania or the Rumble.

gun_haver

kurt will probably go for a hot tag, pop off a couple of suplexes and get knocked out by some kind of weapon, leaving his true singles exhibition for wrestlemania. it won't ruin anything, it was smart to do it now, this ppv was looking fuckling shit.

kurt will probably go for a hot tag, pop off a couple of suplexes and get knocked out by some kind of weapon, leaving his true singles exhibition for wrestlemania. it won't ruin anything, it was smart to do it now, this ppv was looking fuckling shit.
It's probably going to be a tornado match

FyreWulff

Yep, totally assuming it's going to be the Kurt Angle preview and he'll be gotten out of the match after a bit to set up a Mania match.

I mean they always use tag matches to 'hide' a wrestler that's come back or older to protect them and also not have them be 100% of the match.

painey

Usually WWE goes through with their match announcements. He'll be wrestling this Sunday. Lol they are not going to wait until next year's SummerSlam. But they definitely should have saved his comeback for Mania or the Rumble.

Sorry, I meant Survivor Series.. but I honestly can't see him wrestling a real match.. maybe a few minutes to milk the cheers but then gets taken out

Heroman

Banned
It's a TLC match, Kurt is a insane man, he's going to do a lot of dumb stuff. Because wrestling is one hell of a drug

Foffy

Banned
Moonsault off of the ladder spot is totally happening.

The question is if it's through a table or to the outside.

Top Bottom