• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega's marketing plan and target audience for Aliens: Colonial Marines revealed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While not the most headlining part of the Aliens lawsuit, it's rare we actually get to see marketing plan documents for AAA games and the negotiations that go on between publishers and developers.

If you want to see where Sega claimed Gearbox was misleading to them and more, along with their opinion of Randy Pitchford, hit up the link: http://kotaku.com/the-legal-battle-over-aliens-colonial-marines-just-got-1630197749

The full court documents are there as well.

Target audience:

etxkvnga0udvhylqcjzptermp.png

Marketing plan:

q8gthgfvucy9ekeoeigft6od4.png

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
full of suspense and "oh shit" moments

Clearly what happened to many customers minutes after starting to play CM for the first time.

Steve Gibson sounds like a goto guy.

Never thought they would use so many cuss words in a marketing document. Feels weirdly unprofessional.

Eggbok

I literally just watched the Angry Joe review for this and the 2011 E3 demo.
Good times right...? No? Okay.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
anybody want to watch a blockbuster action or science-fiction DVD with me later? I've been practicing headshots all day and need a cooldown

Steve Gibson sounds like a goto guy.

Never thought they would use so many cuss words in a marketing document. Feels weirdly unprofessional.

Yeah this scream unprofessional. Is this what developers actually submit full stop to a publisher? Seriously?

Man, no wonder the industry has the poor image it does if this is how a developer handles a proposal to a major publisher.

I had to laugh at Randy avoiding the word "different" and "positive vocabulary tweak".

Majestic ads!

5WuXiTM.jpg

Seriously surprised by how unprofessional the wording sounds in this though.

Sorry for how awful that shows up to anyone using the dark theme on mobile by the way. Didn't think that one through properly.

This is great. Love seeing these kinds of things. So weird that those are the marketing plans. Reads like a sarcastic example anyone here would use as a marketing plan for that shitty game.

Hm.... could this be a precedent for games that don't match their e3 demos and under perform at retail? Depending how this turns out, I think we are going to find out. Scary.

braves01

Banned
Sega Marketing said:
After all, you can't go wrong with a badass shooter.

lol, I also like how they target people "suspicious of new IP" then release this steaming turd, which is basically new IP despite having the Aliens license.

Amir0x

Banned
Man is there anything that didn't suck colossally for this game? Any aspect of its development and marketing that wasn't just a huge red flag that someone, anyone, needed to stop this farce?

Ein Bear

I find it weird how unprofessionally written everything is. I kind of expected internal company documents to avoid words like 'badass'. Is this fairly normal?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I find it weird how unprofessionally written everything is. I kind of expected internal company documents to avoid words like 'badass'. Is this fairly normal?

Absolutely normal - these aren't formal documents. Internal emails are brief and to the point. The only time you go formal is when you are sending a presentation to your boss, or when you're doing external communications.

This is just f*cking embarrassing and makes me die a little inside when I realise this kind of thing has nothing in common with what I want out of gaming.

Oh man, SEGA was super salty over how Pitchford handled marketing:
Gearbox took this power and ran with it, often making announcements to the press and public without Sega’s approval—and sometimes in the face of Sega’s explicit disapproval. On many occasions Gearbox leaked information to the press that Sega had not intended to be made public at that time, with Sega finding out only after the fact. Sega had limited ability to stop these leaks because Gearbox had contractual marketing rights.
• Although Sega would sometimes prepare materials to guide Randy Pitchford of Gearbox at press appearances for ACM, Mr. Pitchford would often go off-script. In June of 2011, for example, one member of the Sega PR team noted that the Q&A Sega prepared for Randy was “useless” because “Randy talked a LOT beyond what was in there.” (Cheng Decl., Ex. K (June 8, 2011 email string between Kerstin Mueller and Wouter Van Vugt of Sega).)
• At Gearbox’s Community Day 2011, Gearbox made announcements about ACM that weren’t discussed with Sega and that Sega had not planned to make public at that time. (Cheng Decl., Ex. I (June 15, 2011 email string between Rowan Tafler, Matthew Powers, and others stating that “Announcing [this item] at the community day wasn’t discussed with us . . . .”).)
• In July 2012, Gearbox posted a developer profile for ACM to its website “without prior approval” from Sega. (Cheng Decl., Ex. L (July 25, 2012 email from Chris Faylor of Gearbox to Mehlfeld).)
• In September 2012, Gearbox allowed an unapproved screenshot of ACM to be released to the press. The screenshot turned up on multiple press websites. (Cheng Decl., Ex. N (September 10, 2012 email string between Adam Fletcher of Gearbox and Craig Harris and others from Sega).)
• At Community Day 2012, Gearbox allowed a press participant to experience part of the game that Sega did not want shown at that time. (Cheng Decl., Ex. J (September 19, 2012 email string between persons at Sega).)
• Prior to a press event in October 2012, Sega discussed what Gearbox planned to present: “[Sega will] probably never know as they haven’t shown us anything they want to do so far.” (Cheng Decl., Ex. P (October 1, 2012 email string with Kerstin Mueller, Daniel Gallardo, and others at Sega).)
When Sega confronted Gearbox in October 2012 about the persistent unapproved leaks by Gearbox, Sega was told by Gearbox that “[e]ffectively – it’s Randy doing whatever [] he likes . . . despite the fact that they asked him not to.” (Cheng Decl., Ex. R (October 16, 2012 email from Matt Eyre to Rowan Tafler and others at Sega).)
• Also in October 2012, after yet another leak by Gearbox at NYCC, Sega’s marketing and PR team noted that Gearbox presented unapproved information about ACM “despite being told not to” and that this was “a consistent problem.”
(Cheng Decl., Ex. Q (October 26, 2012 email from Rowan Tafler to Kerstin Mueller and others at Sega).)

polychron

It's a shame that these documents are only ever seen in circumstances like these where it's all gone to crap and there's a lawsuit to find fault, because they make a super interesting read. If someone were to put together a book about the insider view with this kinda stuff in 20 years time I think it'd be a fascinating thing to see.

jblank83

There's so much business management bullshit in there it's like I'm drowning in brochures from second rate MBA programs.

I wonder if anyone sat down and thought "how can we make the best game possible" or if they just sat down and thought "which market demographic can we exploit in the most profitable way possible with the least amount of work."

jwhit28

It seems marketing is as dumb and restricted as it makes itself look all the time. Why even bother using humans if the answers are this predetermined?

KJRS_1993

There's so much business management bullshit in there it's like I'm drowning in brochures from second rate MBA programs.

I wonder if anyone sat down and thought "how can we make the best game possible" or if they just sat down and thought "which market demographic can we exploit in the most profitable way possible with the least amount of work."

This is how it is for every single big budget game ever, and a fair proportion of smaller games as well.
Making the 'best game possible' just isn't enough, and it's a naive viewpoint to say it is.
Everything needs to make money. Keeping costs down is a part of that.

Edit: Even radio stations (or at least the low budget one I worked at) have these sorts of documents and proposals.

This is amazing stuff, but unfortunately it seems the interest in it is pretty low since there isn't any agendas to latch on to and/or rally behind.

That and this has been going on for far too long.

Stitch

Gold Member
Ironically, it is also one of the better parts in the game.

I thought that it was really stupid. Now I don't even want finish it.

I was stuck at some part where you have to punch a big Alien with that Mech Suit. It was really glitchy, like the Alien got stuck in walls, and then the game crashed. So I gave up.

James1o1o

Banned
Either way, someone has to pay for that absolute shit pile. I really hope it is Randy Pitchford. Guy blatantly lied not only at the game demo showcase but also on social media.

Top Bottom