• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

noshten

wait what? I figured Injustice would have a huge opening and easily be number 1

Mortal Kombat X opened well over a million in its debut month, so unless Injustice 2 completely tanks in comparison, it will trivially take the month.

I don't think Injustice will be as big as Mortal Kombat X and doing more than 500K would be a great result. Do you guys really think Injustice is as big as MKX? MK8D will easily do around 500K in May so that's the bar Injustice would have to pass.

I haven't cross-checked to be sure, but I recall that this is more of a situation where Zelda is much more popular in US vs Europe.

I definitely think HZD showed better legs in certain countries in Europe, I think even this week HZD climbed up in the UK rankings. Especially considering it's on a single platform the 3rd place in Germany for April is no doubt very significant.

UK:
Week 18, 2017 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
02 (NE) PS4 PREY (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
03 (NE) XBO PREY (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
04 (06) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (04) PS4 HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

France:
Week 17

01 (NE) NSW MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
02 (05) NSW THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)
03 (01) PS4 HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
04 (NE) PS4 SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 3 (CI GAMES)
05 (NE) PS4 OUTLAST TRINITY (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

Germany:
April 2017 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO)
02 (03) TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS (UBISOFT)
03 (02) HORIZON ZERO DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
04 (05) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (01) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)

Horizon's doing just fine. Consider that only 1 PS4 exclusive has crossed 2 million in America. Horizon will join it soon.

Kinda puts into perspective why Xbox has been able hold onto so much marketshare though. Nearly 4 years since launch and only 1 big exclusive for Sony. Their first party this gen has been atrocious, really.

Sony first party has never been super big in US.
This date back all the way to PS2 and that user base was huge.
Most of there games get there sales form WW .

cheesekao

The 2 million club, population: Uncharted 4.

I'm just saying. The console has been out for a long time and Sony's biggest hitters from last gen (Santa Monica, Media Molecule, Polyphony) still haven't put out a damn game.

It's tragic. They let Microsoft catch up.
If that's what you think then you do you but I disagree. Also, Microsoft never caught up, at least in the long run. The gap has only increased since launch.

I'm here for the Switch. Nintendo has a certified hit. Developers take note!

They need to get 3rd parties to bring their A games to Switch. It will be critical for long term sales.

And Nintendo needs to do something about their European marketing. Still haven't seen a single Switch commercial and the bigger department stores have basically buried Switch and the few games somewhere behind the PS4 shelf. It took several months to find the Wii when it came out. I can walk to any store and buy a Switch right now. Just a terrible job marketing their product.

what other MS IP other than the Gears, Halo, Forza (in which both Gears & Halo are in decline) are in the 2 million club this gen? Do tell...

I mean since we talking about NPD i don't think any MS IP has gotten to 2 million other than maybe halo.
MS other IP don't even sell a million in the USA if i remember right.

Expected top 3, much lower shipment than expected for Switch in April.
Horizon ending up much more popular in Europe than in the US for some reason.

I'm expecting MK8D, Injustice 2, Minecraft, GTA to be top of the charts during May, can't think of any other major release that month - so if Zelda maintains high attach rate it might also make the top 5.

Microsoft sharing digital numbers for Minecraft as it releases on the Switch is going to give us a much better idea about the size of digital customers on the Switch. It's 20 for April with digital - so if it really sees a big jump it will be all down to the Switch port.

MK8D is guaranteed to reach a million in the US in it's second month - it's just a matter of whether Injustice will be able to beat it. Personally I think in the end MK8D will take May as well unless there is a shortage of new Switch owners.

Interesting, does this mean it's on a publisher-basis rather than a platform holder one?

I don't think Injustice will be as big as Mortal Kombat X and doing more than 500K would be a great result. Do you guys really think Injustice is as big as MKX? MK8D will easily do around 500K in May so that's the bar Injustice would have to pass.

First Injustice debuted with sales of 424k for first month and I don't see scenario where Injustice 2 doesn't sell a lot more. Going to be easy number 1.

cheesekao

Horizon WW 2 week sales = 2.6m
Horizon US 1 month sales = ~1m

We can easily assume that Non-US sales of Horizon at week 2 is, at minimum 1.6M but factoring out the two weeks, I'm assuming Non-US sales would be around 1.8m. That should give you and idea of how Sony has a huge presence worldwide unlike MS.

"But this is an NPD thread and only US sales matters!"

If you want to miss out on the bigger picture then sure.

noshten

Interesting, does this mean it's on a publisher-basis rather than a platform holder one?

Publishers have been disclosing sale numbers themselves - so it's not something that Nintendo decides. For example sales of Master Blaster were revealed by Inti Creates

First Injustice debuted with sales of 424k for first month and I don't see scenario where Injustice 2 doesn't sell a lot more. Going to be easy number 1.

What type of growth are you guys expecting for Injustice 2? Over 500K in the US for a fighting game that's not MK or SSB isn't something that has happened in a while and one of the reasons I'm doubting how much of a sales hit Arms will be.

Loris146

Horizon WW 2 week sales = 2.6m
Horizon US 1 month sales = ~650k

We can easily assume that Non-US sales of Horizon at week 2 is around 2M+. That should give you and idea of how Sony has a huge presence worldwide unlike MS.

"But this is an NPD thread and only US sales matters!"

If you want to miss out on the bigger picture then sure.
Horizon was over 1 ML with digital sales.

LMAO...what are you smoking? If Sony's 1st party for this gen is bad, then the rest of probaby in the gutter? Unless that's bait?

I mean.

At this point in PS3's life it had 2 Uncharteds, 4 games from Insomniac, GT5: Prologue, God of War 3, LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain. So that's 10 games from those studios.

Compare to this generation, all we've seen from those same studios so far is Uncharted 4 and Ratchet.

I don't know what's going on.

Zedark

They need to get 3rd parties to bring their A games to Switch. It will be critical for long term sales.

And Nintendo needs to do something about their European marketing. Still haven't seen a single Switch commercial and the bigger department stores have basically buried Switch and the few games somewhere behind the PS4 shelf. It took several months to find the Wii when it came out. I can walk to any store and buy a Switch right now. Just a terrible job marketing their product.
I've been bombarded with Switch commercials here in the Netherlands. I don't know where you are, but plenty of regions in Europe report rapid sell out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dat Switch effect. NES Classic as #2 hardware, lol. I don't understand why they discontinued it, just doesn't make sense. 'We don't have unlimited resources'... It's as small piece of plastic with one circuit board.

they should have those things in every Walmart checkout aisle

Basically this. Baffling decision

cheesekao

I mean.

At this point in PS3's life it had 2 Uncharteds, 4 games from Insomniac, GT5: Prologue, God of War 3, LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain. So that's 10 games from those studios.

Compare to this generation, all we've seen from those same studios so far is Uncharted 4 and Ratchet.

I don't know what's going on.
You must've missed how game development budgets and schedules have ballooned. Furthermore, ND had the issue where Amy Hennig left, Media Molecule is a small studio and was developing Tearaway for the Vita, and SM also had to cancel their big new IP. Moreover, the two big studios released a game in 2013 and 3-4 years is the general development period of AAA games these days.

Also, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Infamous SS, were all well received.

No. Microsoft is further behind than they have ever been in America. So far Sony is outselling them by more in 2017 than they did in 2016, so YoY the gap is not just getting bigger, but getting bigger faster. In no way has Sony let Microsoft catch up.

You might be able to make a better case that they've "let Microsoft hang around" (i.e. not completely demolished them like in most of the rest of the world). But that would impel the question over whether just putting out some more and better first-party games would achieve that result. PS4 already has more games than Xbox One, so why would three or four more make an immense difference?

I just doubt it's wholly up to Sony how successful Microsoft is in the US. Xbox One was the follow-up to the second best-selling console in US history, and Microsoft have provided heavy financial support to the platform. Without the market as a whole imploding, I just don't think a more massive reversal of fortunes is plausible.

Persona 5 straight up killed it in America. What a result.

There's still a viable place for turn-based RPGs in the mainstream market after all.

The 2 million club, population: Uncharted 4.

I'm just saying. The console has been out for a long time and Sony's biggest hitters from last gen (Santa Monica, Media Molecule, Polyphony) still haven't put out a damn game.

this doesn't make any sense. Xbox has has fans in the US. A few more exclusives wouldn't change that.

Ducktail

Very pleased seeing persona on the second spot. The game is just so enjoyable. I honestly thought the JRPG segment was doomed to oblivion.

What type of growth are you guys expecting for Injustice 2? Over 500K in the US for a fighting game that's not MK or SSB isn't something that has happened in a while and one of the reasons I'm doubting how much of a sales hit Arms will be.

The game is going to easily clear 500k. Close to Mortal Kombat numbers for Injustice 2

I've been bombarded with Switch commercials here in the Netherlands. I don't know where you are, but plenty of regions in Europe report rapid sell out.

Northern Europe, Finland to be exact. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't care about this region, but I just checked the local department store again: they haven't even put the few games on display. They just lie there in the self between a few Switch consoles and PS4 controllers. I guess this is Tier 2 for Nintendo as well.

sense

I don't know if I expected too much but I feel like H:ZD didn't perform too well, it's on the leading platform, an open world action RPG, best visuals in gaming, it was supposed to do much better but Zelda is easily selling more on a new platform with barely any users, it has already disappeared from the top 10, even blops 2 sold more this month for crying out loud! it got zero legs.

I wouldn't call it a failure but it is disappointing commercially.
Not a great comparison. A new single player only ip with a ton of competition around it versus an established ip with a rabid fanbase releasing on a system with no competition and probably the only reason to pick the system at launch combined with unbelievable reviews. There is still a lot of time left for horizon with dlc coming and the price hasn't cratered like many aaa games do nowadays so it should do very well for a new ip in the long run.

Zedark

Northern Europe, Finland to be exact. Maybe Nintendo just doesn't care about this region, but I just checked the local department store again: they haven't even put the few games on display. They just lie there in the self between a few Switch consoles and PS4 controllers. I guess this is Tier 2 for Nintendo as well.
Yeah, Scandinavia seems to have an abysmal relationship with Nintendo: I have seen those countries (together with Italy and Australia) pop up constantly as regions where Switch has been readily available almost since launch.

Edit: I do mean recently (i.e. Wii U and now Switch).

Yeah, Scandinavia seems to have an abysmal relationship with Nintendo: I have seen those countries (together with Italy and Australia) pop up constantly as regions where Switch has been readily available almost since launch.

It's only been like this since the Wii U. When Wii came out, you couldn't find one anywhere for months. I had forgotten that Switch even launched and then I saw it in a store.

Turrican3

Yeah, Scandinavia seems to have an abysmal relationship with Nintendo: I have seen those countries (together with Italy and Australia)
I don't think that's the case for Italy, like... not at all.

Of course WiiU hit them hard, but I'd say Nintendo is still relatively strong.
There's even a local branch here, and games basically always (again, barring a couple of exceptions on that huge disaster that was WiiU) get localized.

pants

Persona :D

zmTa1gQ.gif

I looked at the chart and all I could see was

GTA V is top 3 on ps4
GTA V is top 5 on xbox one

the game is a legit phenomena now, and I am pleased that the gaming public is not full of SJW who want their games neutered.

Interfectum

Nintendo killing it. I'd have to imagine some bigger third parties have their eyeballs on this system now. It's not going to slow down.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Publishers have been disclosing sale numbers themselves - so it's not something that Nintendo decides. For example sales of Master Blaster were revealed by Inti Creates

Let me put it this way. If Injustice 2 is below 500K, that will be the last Injustice game, so Warner certainly didn't green light it with less than that in mind.

Nintendo killing it. I'd have to imagine some bigger third parties have their eyeballs on this system now. It's not going to slow down.

Well tha last part is way too early to tell. If the 3rd parties stay away with their big franchises that will diminish the sales at some point. Good product so the early interest is there. Let's see how it holds to year two and three.

Yes. The charts you see for YTD and 12 months rolling reflect latest data. When more publishers join digital sharing with us the greater the accuracy the lists will get. We do not retroactive correct charts.

Hey any chance for platform specific LTD and / or trailing 12 months charts?
That's would be very interesting, too

GTA V is top 3 on ps4

the game is a legit phenomena now, and I am pleased that the gaming public is not full of SJW who want their games neutered.

the game is #5 on Ps4
and #3 on Xbox One

GTA V is top 3 on ps4

Hmm I think it's more the gaming public responds to high quality game titles than any SJW crap.

Not a great comparison. A new single player only ip with a ton of competition around it versus an established ip with a rabid fanbase releasing on a system with no competition and probably the only reason to pick the system at launch combined with unbelievable reviews. There is still a lot of time left for horizon with dlc coming and the price hasn't cratered like many aaa games do nowadays so it should do very well for a new ip in the long run.

I'm quite surprised at the downplaying of Horizon performance.
For all intents and purposes, it seems to have performed remarkably well amidst crazy competition as a new IP, already passed 1 million including digital at launch month.

Surely that's good.

GTA V is top 3 on ps4

That's because SJW are bogeymen who don't really exist, no matter how scary they may seem.

Curufinwe

Horizon's doing just fine. Consider that only 1 PS4 exclusive has crossed 2 million in America. Horizon will join it soon.

Kinda puts into perspective why Xbox has been able hold onto so much marketshare though.

Their marketshare is down by a massive amount from the previous generation.

Curufinwe

GTA V is top 3 on ps4

Well, I think we've found this thread's hottest take.

EvB

GTA V is top 3 on ps4

What the fuck.

In my head that reads as.
I want to beat women, not play as them.

OTIX

For some reason the Nordic countries got fucked on the Switch pricing, €50 more expensive here compared to mainland Europe with similar vat. That didn't happen with previous Nintendo hardware, or any other consoles as far as I can recall.

Sjefen

Edit: I do mean recently (i.e. Wii U and now Switch).

In Nintendo days Commodore 64 and Amiga was the champions in Norway, I didnt know anyone having one except my own little sister who had a NES. Its very easy to find a Switch here in Norway several internett stores have them in stock.

Top Bottom