• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

Matt Frost

The dev of Lost Socks wrote a long post over on TA in regards to the switch to F2P. Basically, nothing was changed in terms of difficulty and, in fact, the game is probably easier due to the addition of checkpoints. The changes fix other things but added the ability to earn coins through IAPs or watching ads. Sounds like they did a lot to improve the game and also make it painless to existing buyer. No timers or energy, etc.

I, personally, am loving the checkpoints!

Wow. Lost Socks just got a HUGE update including level improvements, rebalanced game economy and checkpoints!

I absolutely adore the game but embarssed to admit I have not finished it because it is damn difficult. But looking forward to getting back into one of my favorite iOS games of all time!!!

Edit: Wait!!! It went F2P! :(

Not sure if the balance was tweaked for the worst in the process but time will tell.

Did they change the coin balance regarding buying skills etc.?

No, everything is the same except IAP for coins, checkpoints and a rewrite for weapons and some level parts. Game is better than ever

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
xcom 2+ wotc is amazing

if this ever comes to iPhones i'll die from forgetting to drink water and eat

L.A. Noir has been announced for Switch with gesture touch controls.
I wonder if somehow they can port it to iOS too.

Would be cool.

touch controls are only for parts of LA Noire, and they seem to be pricing it at a 'premium' console release - too high for iOS

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Darkest Dungeon with an Apple Pen is great... only issue is long presses sometimes want to act as short presses.. but it works so much better than touch.

Great game, glad I waited as it seems made for tablet play.

Can't believe we're only a week away from Iron Marines coming out.
I've been replaying the first Kingdom Rush in anticipation.

One thing I hope the developers do with Iron Marines is to make it a Universal App. It's annoying having an "HD" version for iPad and having to buy the phone version separately.

I had hoped they'd do that with Kingdom Rush Origins, but that one ended up with two separate apps too.

Can't believe we're only a week away from Iron Marines coming out.
I've been replaying the first Kingdom Rush in anticipation.

One thing I hope the developers do with Iron Marines is to make it a Universal App. It's annoying having an "HD" version for iPad and having to buy the phone version separately.

I had hoped they'd do that with Kingdom Rush Origins, but that one ended up with two separate apps too.
They made some updates to their engine specifically for Iron Marines and KR4 so maybe it'll just be universal now? I'll go ask them on twitter.

gblues

Banned
I grabbed Piece Out.

It is ad-supported, with $0.99 IAP to disable ads and enable hints.

It's a really good special-reasoning puzzler with some really nice subtle graphical effects. The hint system is really impressive because you can turn it off at any time. There are also cheevos for using undo so you don't get penalized for using it.

They made some updates to their engine specifically for Iron Marines and KR4 so maybe it'll just be universal now? I'll go ask them on twitter.

I hope so, since it would suck if the only reason they made seperate phone and iPad versions of the app was just to get extra sales, which totally worked with me since I own the regular iOS versions, HD versions, and Android versions of all their games, haha (in my defense I think I got the regular iOS versions for free when they went on sale).

The HD versions don't even seem to have much differences.
-They lock the maps to the full screen size of the iPad (so you don't have to scroll around the map).
-They have an extra "settings menu" in addition to the pause menu (which was always an annoying difference, there's no reason to have an extra pause button when the other menu pauses too).
-And there's a dedicated "start next wave" button at the bottom right (instead of needing to scroll to the enemy spawn and tap the button there on the mobile version).

Maybe it was a limitation of the old engine, but it seems like it shouldn't have been that hard to just lock the mobile version to only zoom out so far (so it's still playable), while the HD ipad version should just default to fully zoomed out and lock the ability to zoom in.
But I'm no developer (outside of the very rare web stuff), so it's probably more complicated than I think it is.

Moreche

I posted yesterday that I'd sold my PS4 and Xbox One and purchased an iPad 10.5 and if iOS gaming was as good now as it was a few years ago.
I received my iPad last night and I've been playing Prison Architect and Planescape Torment and I've been blown away to the point that I wish I'd done it sooner.
I know both games are old and available on other platforms but it feels so good to play them on a touch mobile device.
I'd sold both consoles for an iPad due to lack of time and enthusiasm for TV gaming and the iPad fits into my lifestyle so well because of what it's capable of and it's portability.
I can't wait to start digging into past iOS treasures.

I posted yesterday that I'd sold my PS4 and Xbox One and purchased an iPad 10.5 and if iOS gaming was as good now as it was a few years ago.
I received my iPad last night and I've been playing Prison Architect and Planescape Torment and I've been blown away to the point that I wish I'd done it sooner.
I know both games are old and available on other platforms but it feels so good to play them on a touch mobile device.
I'd sold both consoles for an iPad due to lack of time and enthusiasm for TV gaming and the iPad fits into my lifestyle so well because of what it's capable of and it's portability.
I can't wait to start digging into past iOS treasures.
iPad has so many great indie ports that it's like the perfect gateway to getting into PC games.

Be sure to get FTL, Invisible Inc, Paper's Please, Steamworld Heist, Sunless Sea, This War of Mine, Snakebird, Samorost 3, Lumino City, Door Kickers, and the Hexcells series

As for mobile first games, my must-plays would be:

- Device 6
- Momument Valley
- Sorcery series
- The Room series
- 80 Days
- Dark Echo
- Ticket To Earth
- 868-Hack
- Hoplite
- RYB
- Yankai's Peak
- Lara Croft GO
- Reigns
- Card Thief
- Love You To Bits
- Downwell
- Galactic Keep
- Year Walk
- King of Dragon Pass
- Blek

Moreche

iPad has so many great indie ports that it's like the perfect gateway to getting into PC games.

Be sure to get FTL, Invisible Inc, Paper's Please, Steamworld Heist, Sunless Sea, This War of Mine, Snakebird, Samorost 3, Lumino City, Door Kickers, and the Hexcells series

As for mobile first games, my must-plays would be:

- Device 6
- Momument Valley
- Sorcery series
- The Room series
- 80 Days
- Dark Echo
- Ticket To Earth
- 868-Hack
- Hoplite
- RYB
- Yankai's Peak
- Lara Croft GO
- Reigns
- Card Thief
- Love You To Bits
- Downwell
- Galactic Keep
- Year Walk
- King of Dragon Pass
- Blek
Thanks for the Sunless Sea recommendation, I've just purchased it but it's unfortunate that they won't release the Zubmariner expansion.

awp69

Did anyone else here get Atomine? Just curious if you were having the same performance issues with frame rate, battery drain and heat on your phone.

Reading the TA thread, it sounds like it’s a common theme and several people have gotten refunds. Hoping the devs can patch it up as it seems like it could be a great game. Also really doesn’t really have the graphical “wow” factor that should be causing this much problems.

Think it should have been tested more before release.

Moreche

I'd love Apple to form their own gaming studio and really start pushing premium mobile games and show that mobile is worth more than FTP.

PittaGAF

I'm pretty sure they will show AR again (as a miniature and RPG lover, last time showcase was pretty awesome) so I'm hoping for something Star Wars related like the new game (visor, sensor and light saber) Disney is about to sell at 199 for next Christmas.

awp69

I'm pretty sure they will show AR again (as a miniature and RPG lover, last time showcase was pretty awesome) so I'm hoping for something Star Wars related like the new game (visor, sensor and light saber) Disney is about to sell at 199 for next Christmas.

That Disney thing is cool but $200? Not happening.

All I want to see at the conference is the Animal Crossing game.

Feels like its been long enough since they announced they were planning it that it would make sense to show it off at the conference. According to "Nookipedia" in June Reggie said Nintendo wanted to get it out by the end of 2017.

HotHamBoy

Sproggiwood is on sale for $1

Highly recommended!

520x293bb.jpg

520x293bb.jpg

520x293bb.jpg

520x293bb.jpg

520x293bb.jpg

killercow

Anyone got any ideas of what games might show up at the Apple conference?

Animal Crossing or Zelda could be shown but Mark Rein from Epic also retweeted the announcement so maybe something from them too. (Could be that Chair F2P game that is still not released though).

Oh and the latest Apple TV will feature the same chip as the iPad Pro 10.5, ought to be interesting gaming-wise:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/11/4k-apple-tv-a10x/

awp69

So, here’s hoping for a big game to be announced at the show tomorrow.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Mobile Edition — and it’s available now!

LOL. I wish.

okno

Okay. Bought Sproggiwood now that it's on sale for a dollar. It's a game I have had my eye on for ages, but didn't have enough interest in it to plunk down $10. Missed the sale at $5, so I lucked out with this one! Wasn't feeling it at first, but it started to warm up to me as I learned how to interact with the world and read enemy movements and use their attacks to my advantage. I find the animations to be very simple and trite and they don't lend anything to the gameplay, but the visuals are sharp and colorful and interesting enough.

Now that I have been at work for the past 10 hours, all I can think about is getting home and laying down in bed and losing myself in it until 4am. The game has some serious hooks in it, and I'm beginning to see why people have talked it up so much. It's a weird ass game, but it has a ton of charm. Can't wait to dig in more.

baconcow

Okay. Bought Sproggiwood now that it's on sale for a dollar. It's a game I have had my eye on for ages, but didn't have enough interest in it to plunk down $10. Missed the sale at $5, so I lucked out with this one!

Sproggiwood has been $5 or less since May 2016 and has gone on sale seven times, for $2 (and three times for $3), since then. You waiting, however, landed you the best deal at $1.

PittaGAF

Spending last days/hours till Apple event and possibile iOS11 release playing The Nightmare Cooperative.
Still one of my favorite roguelite and the only one 32 bit app that I'll lose upgrading.
Makes me so sad.

Guys, I'm looking for something similar to Baldur's Gate EE.

Already have the first one, got my eyes locked on BG2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment.

What else is there?

awp69

Unless they really do something unique with it, I’m not sure about another GO game series. I feel like between the SE games and clones, it’s been done to death.

That said, it would have to be pretty unique to get it to work for Life is Strange if it’s anything like the real game.

Unless they really do something unique with it, I’m not sure about another GO game series. I feel like between the SE games and clones, it’s been done to death.

That said, it would have to be pretty unique to get it to work for Life is Strange if it’s anything like the real game.
None of the clones or even SE themselves have managed to surpass Lara Croft GO, though. Deux Ex felt like a step backwards and felt like it was lacking the huge amount of effort and thought that went into translating the essence of Tomb Raider to a turn-based puzzler. If they could manage another leap in design and presentation like Hitman to LC, with their other games, that could be huge.

awp69

Trailer doesn’t do much for me but being the dev of Journey, Flower, etc., I’m sure it will be top notch stuff.

Wish it had been one of those “and it’s out now” surprises.

PittaGAF

The AR demo was really cool, especially for a miniatures lover (still not seeing THAT widespread...can't play in bed, etc...) and the iPhone X screen looks impressive but....the no home button gestures, unless you can disable them somehow, are going to be a nightmare when gaming.

awp69

The AR demo was really cool, especially for a miniatures lover (still not seeing THAT widespread...can't play in bed, etc...) and the iPhone X screen looks impressive but....the no home button gestures, unless you can disable them somehow, are going to be a nightmare when gaming.

Good point about the no home button issue. I have no idea how that’s going to work. Guess maybe the “Go to Home” gesture will have to be so specific it couldn’t be done accidentally mid-game? Could be problematic but we’ll see.

Top Bottom