• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa (Metal Max, Demon Gaze) purchases From Software

Beth Cyra

As i said. Business is business and whatever happens happens.

Doesn't matter what their history is. Team can still get gutted. I don't know why some of you fail to realize this.

It's not about if it COULD happen, there is absolutely NO reason to believe this would be the case. Nothing Kadokawa has done with it's partners would even slightly hint they would do this and damage a brand they just bought or potential do something to upset an extremely large business partner in Namco Bandai.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Let's all assume the worst will happen, that's how people will know we are NeoGAF.

chicken-little-o.gif

basically.

Oh I've actually watched Haruhi and Lucky Star (and I've only watched like 5 anime shows in my life lol).
Don't really know any of the other stuff though, I looked up their games too and don't know any of them either.

Do we know what they usually do with their gaming stuff? Like would they buy From and let them keep going on with what they do, or would they interfere or what?

No one knows, Kadokawa never had an AA-AAA tier game studio of their own.

Their own Kadoakawa games just does B/C-tier anime-licensed games.

Beth Cyra

Okay. Do you have any documents stating nothing will happen? I didn't say it will happen or it wont. Quit being a weaboo for a couple of seconds and try to comprehend what i'm typing out.

WTH? Someone takes the news calmly and looks at the facts and history of the companies involved and they are Weaboo? Fucking really?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Anyone have a contact at Kadokawa? Tell them to force From Software to make kings field games again instead of souls please.

MormaPope

Banned
And that's OK. Because we're humans and we're prone to disagree. If we all felt the same way about everything, there'd be little point to forums at all.

You seem to want my opinion of every Kadokawa game, which I sadly cannot give. I am not sure if you can either, but I would love to hear them, since this is a discussion forum :)
So, at your request (though if I misunderstand please let me know), I'll add that in general, Kadokawa games don't appeal to me, even the popular Seins;Gate. Not a fan of Demon Gaze (though I might be mistaken about their involvement with that one), never interested enough to try the Japan-only stuff like Photokano, AKB-48, and Amagami (just not my thing).

Which were your favorite Kadokawa games?

I straight up haven't played any games published or developed by them. I see no reason to panic though due to posters posting the inner workings and how they handle business.

Just like Sega gutted Atlus.

Yes and no on ATLUS, they more or less spilt off ATLUS from the rest of Index, while Index became it own subsidiary under Sega Sammy. And Sega has been very hands off it seems, as ATLUS is still a publisher both in Japan and in the US, it's just that they have distribution channels through Sega in Japan, and have been for awhile when ATLUS was still under Index.

Beth Cyra

Why do people constantly have this idea that Namco/From is some Master/Slave relationship? BamCo only publishes their stuff in the international market.

Not exactly true, From and Namco Bandai also worked together on stuff like Another Century's Episode and Gundam Unicorn which From Software made directly for NB,

Still though, your point is right on the money, They were/are partners and Namco Bandai never had some huge power over From.

Parakeetman

Im guessing a lot of folks really have no idea just how huge Kadokawa is as a whole entity within Japan...

Truthfully if anything this gives From a pretty secure base to live off of, as Kadokawa sure as hell isnt going anywhere any time soon.

vocab

Yes and no on ATLUS, they more or less spilt off ATLUS from the rest of Index, while Index became it own subsidiary under Sega Sammy. And Sega has been very hands off it seems, as ATLUS is still a publisher both in Japan and in the US, it's just that they have distribution channels through Sega in Japan, and have been for awhile when ATLUS was still under Index.

It was a subtle joke. :p

Im guessing a lot of folks really have no idea just how huge Kadokawa is as a whole entity within Japan...

Truthfully if anything this gives From a pretty secure base to live off of, as Kadokawa sure as hell isnt going anywhere any time soon.

Yeah, financially Kadokawa is a pretty solid rock, and their willingness to publish a wide variety of games should be reassuring regarding future Souls games.

Oh man, Dark Souls/Rodea crossover!
Stahp, the pain never ends!

Speaking of Metal Max, we don't talk about that franchise very often at all. It's the separated twin to SaGa (originally designed by one of Yuji Horii's co-workers) with lots of non-linear game progression and customization, and it takes place in a mechanized sci-fi setting.

Bamco at least know when and how to milk stuff.

Kadokawa often underfund their major titles and allow crappy studios to animate major titles/make licensed games.

I'll think they will let FROM do what they want.....unlike Namco which will milk the shit out DkS, have mobile titles for it, have pre-order DLC out the wazoo etc

Not exactly true, From and Namco Bandai also worked together on stuff like Another Century's Episode and Gundam Unicorn which From Software made directly for NB,

Still though, your point is right on the money, They were/are partners and Namco Bandai never had some huge power over From.

Yeah, forgot those titles -_-

Speaking of which....*goes listen to Glorious again*

Well, that applies to our understanding of many facets of Japan. I used to believe Dragon Ball was unquestionably the most watched anime property in Japan until I saw Sazae-san.

Nachos

Finally, that Steins;Gate/Dark Souls crossover we've always wanted!
Wait, I thought that was 5pb/Nitro?

...God, I know nothing about Japanese chin companies.

So that's why "Kan CORE" is in the japanese twitter trendings topics.

That really doesn't seem like too much of a stretch in my mind.

Okay. Do you have any documents stating nothing will happen? I didn't say it will happen. Quit being a weaboo for a couple of seconds and try to comprehend what i'm typing out.
It's certainly true that anything could happen. I'm airing on the optimistic side myself, but that's not exactly the best way to coerce someone to your side of an argument.

I'll think they will let FROM do what they want.....unlike Namco which will milk the shit out DkS, have mobile titles for it, have pre-order DLC out the wazoo etc

I don't think they'll intervene with how FROM does stuff.
Just stating the fact that they have a history of just not dishing up the money when they should.

Parakeetman

Wow, just after the PC release of Souls II also.

As long as Souls isn't harmed in the purchase, I'm okay with the purchase.

Why should it be? It went and harmed itself apparently, seeing the reaction coming from people and the press.

Truthfully the smart thing would be to put it on ice for a while and try something else new or go back to the roots. As they obviously overstretched themselves a bit.

Abriael

Banned
Well, new IP lovers will be happy, as the press release states explicitly that the plan is to use both Kadokawa Games and From Software's strengths in synergy to create new IP on the new platforms with an eye on the west.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, new IP lovers will be happy, as the press release states explicitly that the plan is to use both Kadokawa Games and From Software's strengths in synergy to create new IP on the new platforms with an eye on the west.

Out of curiosity do they note what the "new platforms" are?

Not that Bandai Namco has done much better lately.
While they're far from a great publisher I do think they're willing to throw around a few $20+ million budgets, which I'm not entirely convinced of Kadokawa yet, but your other statement suggests they might be willing to.

Top Bottom