• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Xater
(09-22-2017, 01:29 PM)
I am also interested in the Switch version, because a good portable FUT would be amazing. Doubt we will get a demo though and we will probably have to wait until Digital Foundry gets their hands on it to see how well it works.
Dagobert Duck
(09-22-2017, 01:30 PM)

Originally Posted by oti

I want to try out that FUT mode I've never played. I'll make HSV the Sieger.

Well I guess you can start off a Bundesliga season and just go to the second after one year of loosing, maybe thats how HSV can be good again :P
ScaryShark
Banned
(09-22-2017, 01:30 PM)
I had to quit the series because I liked FUT too much but I'm glad to see it has improved.
gamerforever
(09-22-2017, 01:35 PM)
Already got PES 2018 as the demo convinced me over Fifa 18. I may pick up Fifa 18 for the Switch if it goes down in price to play a few online games.

I am surprised that one review said that the gap had been closed - I feel PES 2018 widens the gap even further and that Fifa has become too simplistic and arcadey. The graphics also seem to have got worse.
KdotIX
(09-22-2017, 01:40 PM)
How in the fuck are these reviews scoring high? From the demo I played (on PC) it felt exactly the same as 17, dribbling, defending, attacking etc. PES is undoubtedly better gameplay wise, FIFA is better off-the-pitch like one review said.

Unless the release code is significantly different to the demo code...?
ScaryShark
Banned
(09-22-2017, 01:41 PM)

Originally Posted by KdotIX

How in the fuck are these reviews scoring high? From the demo I played (on PC) it felt exactly the same as 17, dribbling, defending, attacking etc. PES is undoubtedly better gameplay wise, FIFA is better off-the-pitch like one review said.

Maybe they don't have the same opinion about it as KdotIX?
KdotIX
(09-22-2017, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by ScaryShark

Maybe they don't have the same opinion about it as KdotIX?

That's fair game. The reviewers may even be even more deeply entrenched in the gameplay nuances of both football games. But is the gameplay really "streets ahead" of it's predecessor? Is it something I'm missing?
pieface
(09-22-2017, 01:50 PM)
I bought PES, and got it refunded. Its co-op system is a fucking mess.

FIFA does it so much better.
RdN
(09-22-2017, 01:57 PM)

I sincerely don't understand how someone can say if felt exactly the same as the previous game after playing it.

Player movement is completely changed. The way you mark your man, cover the pass and follow the through ball is completely different because of that.

Maybe if you're a extremely casual player, you won't see that.. But, it's a hard concept for me to grasp.
KingSnake
The Birthday Skeleton
(09-22-2017, 01:57 PM)

That's fair game. The reviewers may even be even more deeply entrenched in the gameplay nuances of both football games. But is the gameplay really "streets ahead" of it's predecessor? Is it something I'm missing?

Yes. I mentioned before in this thread. There are some very clear improvements: the first touches, the movement/animation of the players (which translate into a better flow of the game), the actual difference in skills between the players (like it's obvious who is faster and who's not), the crosses, AI positioning and runs, there's no longer that horrible input lag etc. Even the shots are different this year.
+Aliken+
(09-22-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

Gonna get back in FIFA becuase of the Switch version.

Been like 5 years since the last one I played.

Originally Posted by ASaiyan

Nice scores.

Anyone know when Switch version reviews go up? Is there a separate embargo date?

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

By any chance, any Switch reviews?

Either that or they haven't send out any copies. I am kinda worried, we'll see soon enough.

Originally Posted by bytesized

When is it coming out for switch?

Originally Posted by cw_sasuke

Need impressions of the Switch version and how it stacks up compared to the other versions.

Originally Posted by Kielbasa

I keep buying them almost every year only to play for like 10 hours and quit.

Maybe the Switch will change this.

Just from the first half of the first page.
Wow the hunger for the Switch version is great.
LAM09
(09-22-2017, 02:06 PM)

Originally Posted by KingSnake

It's also very clear from that review that he played with all the assists on.

Think the majority of players do unfortunately.
Lashley
Why does he wear the mask!?
(09-22-2017, 02:24 PM)
I enjoyed PES2018's demo but the full game is so disappointing.

Playing Origin Access of FIFA and I'm enjoying it, especially the new single player stuff in FUT

Originally Posted by LAM09

Think the majority of players do unfortunately.

Why is someone playing different to you unfortunate?
Xater
(09-22-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Lashley

I enjoyed PES2018's demo but the full game is so disappointing.

Playing Origin Access of FIFA and I'm enjoying it, especially the new single player stuff in FUT

All that stuff will be identical on the Switch right?It's just that the Story mode is missing right?
amardilo
(09-22-2017, 03:33 PM)
I really don't like the story mode or FUT stuff but it seems like they have been major selling/talking points over the last few years but I still like to get FIFA to just play matches with actual teams.

Originally Posted by Blablurn

GamesRadar: FIFA 18 review-in-progress: "PES won out last year - now EA has closed the gap"

Can't say I agree with one of the negative points in that review "Lower-tier football is no fun for anyone". I really like playing against my friends with some random low star teams.
Lashley
(09-22-2017, 04:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Xater

All that stuff will be identical on the Switch right?It's just that the Story mode is missing right?

Genuinely no idea, sorry
Rellik
Banned
(09-22-2017, 04:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Facism

do you still have to back out of lobbies and go through 15 different menus to change your online pro's position when playing online clubs with friends?

Wouldn't know. EA locked me out of all online features on FIFA and told me they can't fix it. Joke of a company.
DamnBoxes
(09-22-2017, 04:12 PM)
Another year of FIFA, another year of Pro Clubs!

Lashley
(09-22-2017, 04:13 PM)

Originally Posted by DamnBoxes

Another year of FIFA, another year of Pro Clubs!

I love Pro Clubs, but

Elsewhere, Pro Clubs remains largely untouched--save for a Journey-style skill tree in which you need to acquire certain traits before others are unlocked

mavericktopgun
(09-22-2017, 04:15 PM)
I want the Switch Version! Now! :(
The_Lump
Banned
(09-22-2017, 04:21 PM)
Ok but seriously, when we expecting the first Switch review?
primasaurus
(09-22-2017, 04:32 PM)
When's the Switch release?
Inuteu
(09-22-2017, 04:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Blablurn

pes-won-out-last-year

what a joke
bubaglobalj
(09-22-2017, 04:43 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Lump

Ok but seriously, when we expecting the first Switch review?

I'm here for this.
LAM09
(09-22-2017, 07:10 PM)

Why is someone playing different to you unfortunate?

I prefer games with competitive online modes to be played without assistance. Something wrong with that?
Lashley
(09-22-2017, 07:17 PM)

I prefer games with competitive online modes to be played without assistance. Something wrong with that?

Whats stopping you then? There's a filter for manual games.

No need to be snobby and elitist about it.
LAM09
(09-22-2017, 07:25 PM)

Whats stopping you then? There's a filter for manual games.

No need to be snobby and elitist about it.

Nothing. I have no interest in the game having played the demo and was just making a point that very few people play on manual.

Never made a comment about one type of player being better than the other. Just my stance of assistance in general.
Lashley
(09-22-2017, 07:27 PM)

Nothing. I have no interest in the game having played the demo and was just making a point that very few people play on manual.

Never made a comment about one type of player being better than the other. Just my stance of assistance in general.

Yeah, it's a shame trying to play manual games, it literally takes minutes to find games :/

I play on a mix of semi and manual, but don't really care about assistance etc since the game is popular with kids
DamnBoxes
(09-22-2017, 07:28 PM)

I love Pro Clubs, but

Eh, not surprised. EA's going to continue to invest in the game mode that makes them incredible amounts of money; not Pro Clubs which people seem happy with as is.
LAM09
(09-22-2017, 07:32 PM)

Yeah, it's a shame trying to play manual games, it literally takes minutes to find games :/

I play on a mix of semi and manual, but don't really care about assistance etc since the game is popular with kids

It is. I liked the model Konami went with in PES 2011 (one pass option for all) but that's a conversation for another day.
MemoryHumanity
(09-22-2017, 07:35 PM)

Originally Posted by primasaurus

When's the Switch release?

Same day. Not sure when reviews are coming though. Probably embargoed until a later date...
psilva
(09-22-2017, 07:45 PM)
Count me in for the FIFA Switch hype. Just worried about not having analogue triggers. Hopefully it sells well and brings PES to the Switch next year.
Gamecocks625
(09-22-2017, 09:46 PM)
Switch pre-order is now up on Amazon (US)
Xater
(09-22-2017, 11:35 PM)

Originally Posted by psilva

Count me in for the FIFA Switch hype. Just worried about not having analogue triggers. Hopefully it sells well and brings PES to the Switch next year.

I would say that not having analogue triggers is actually a benefit here.
psilva
(09-23-2017, 12:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Xater

I would say that not having analogue triggers is actually a benefit here.

How so? Doesn't it remove the ability to control your sprint speed?
F34R
(09-23-2017, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Gamecocks625

Switch pre-order is now up on Amazon (US)

Bestbuy as well, and you get the $10 rewards with it, plus GC discount.
SprachBrooks
(09-23-2017, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by GearFourth

Yeah..

Games journalists are not paid to scrutinise morally questionable marketing practices lol.
BT-727
(09-23-2017, 01:07 AM)

Originally Posted by ClarkZuckerberg

Bahahaha. Somebody actually using "streets ahead" in a real review. That's hilarious.

As a massive Community fan I lol'd hard IRL.

God is a Geek - 8/10

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/fifa-18-review/

So itís a very good FIFA, then. Fit to burst with content, with enough changes on the field to feel like a new game, but not quite enough in certain modes to truly feel revolutionary.

Gadgets 360 - 8/10

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/review...review-1754025

In a lot of ways, FIFA 18 is essentially FIFA 17.5, and thatís not a bad thing.

Dremorak
Banned
(09-23-2017, 01:07 AM)

Originally Posted by ClarkZuckerberg

Bahahaha. Somebody actually using "streets ahead" in a real review. That's hilarious.

There is a future where "streets ahead" is a common turn of phrase and the origin has been lost to time. This pleases me greatly.
Kurt Angle
(09-23-2017, 01:10 AM)
canít wait play lob through balls to 90 pace strikers
Gareth Bale
(09-23-2017, 01:11 AM)
FYI the game is completely broken on PC. I would advise people not to buy it. Crashes, soft locks, stuck on loading screens. Played about 2 minutes after a few hours of trying to get it to work.

Worrying that no reviews I read mentioned any of this
Jaded Alyx
(09-23-2017, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Gareth Bale

FYI the game is completely broken on PC. I would advise people not to buy it. Crashes, soft locks, stuck on loading screens. Played about 2 minutes after a few hours of trying to get it to work.

Um.. Maybe it's just you? It's not completely broken for me. I have a weird issue with the first screen doing nothing until I alt-tab, but after that everything is fine.
KingSnake
The Birthday Skeleton
(09-23-2017, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Gareth Bale

Are you sure that the issue is not on your side? Quite a number of people playing it via Origin access and you're the first one with that many issues.

What settings are you using?
henhowc
(09-23-2017, 01:22 AM)
alex hunter is a beast
AlexBasch
(09-23-2017, 01:25 AM)
Loved the new elements in Career Mode, like the transfer stuff and small videos of your manager with the new signing.

I'm simple like that, I love those little details. <3 Game feels really good so far and I'm only awaiting until the game unlocks and my EA Access trial runs out.

Also, Alex Hunter is going to be a huge game in football, you guys.

I noticed that the replays now track where you were passing or shooting the ball, interesting.
Gareth Bale
(09-23-2017, 02:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

Um.. Maybe it's just you? It's not completely broken for me. I have a weird issue with the first screen doing nothing until I alt-tab, but after that everything is fine.

Originally Posted by KingSnake

Are you sure that the issue is not on your side? Quite a number of people playing it via Origin access and you're the first one with that many issues.

What settings are you using?

No not just me unfortunately. Plenty of people on various forums complaining when I was looking into these issues.
heringer
(09-23-2017, 03:49 AM)
How can people say FIFA 18 hasn't changed much? They greatly reduced the nasty input lag (or animation priority) and now the game feels very responsive, you can really feel each player's attributes. This is huge, it was the biggest advantage PES had over FIFA. In terms of presentation they are like one generation apart, though FIFA lacks my favorite club which is really disappointing (exclusive to PES this year).

I'm still deciding between the two if only because PES has option files and is half the price for me.
Tron 2.0
(09-23-2017, 03:52 AM)

Originally Posted by MemoryHumanity

Same day. Not sure when reviews are coming though. Probably embargoed until a later date...

Kat Bailey of US Gamer mentioned on Twitter that Switch review codes are not being given out until release day
Wamb0wneD
(09-23-2017, 03:58 AM)

Originally Posted by oti

I want to try out that FUT mode I've never played. I'll make HSV the Sieger.

Lmao good luck. At least you'll be able to it in a video game am I right? Zieh los und siege! HSV! HSV! HSV!
Peterpan
(09-23-2017, 07:48 AM)
I don't usually complain about reviews, but I hope a new player enters the arena. FIFA year in, year out gets away with minimal effort.

Players faces are not updated. Being a Serie A fan, and AC Milan fan, no one in my team looks like themselves and AC Milan is fairly huge club. I don't want face scans, but at least look somewhat like the player using whatever creator they use, but the players don't.

They can't even do ratings right, I am of the honest belief EA don't watch football, I'm not talking about I want a player to be 85 when they are 84, if you are unknown then they just give you a random rating.

The gameplay to this day has not been fixed. Small things like player switching, year in year out they gives me the player furthest from the ball, like why. The gameplay still feels not that reactive, slightly better, but still there's issues. I can write an essay what they need to fix in gameplay. Last year they took out training mode, no one blinked an eye.

Manager mode is still pure garbage, FIFA 07 had a better manager mode, then freaking 18. Alex Hunter gameplay looks the same, exactly the same. Nothing major changed.

I can go on and on, yet these 'gaming outlets' don't hold EA to the fire and this is why we FIFA stays garbage.

How is EA getting away with this garbage?

FIFA is an ultimate team machine.