• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

HiiiLife
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:14 PM)
HiiiLife's Avatar
Surprised it took so long for battle royale games to take off.

FFA with more than 6-8 people always seemed like it'd attract a crowd.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-22-2017, 03:14 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar
Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.
miladesn
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
miladesn's Avatar
They should, it's a complete rip off. There is a difference being in same genre and a rip off like fortnite. Even some of the animation or UI elements is exact copy.
Ikuu
Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
Ikuu's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

Anyway, could Epic revoke the license of UE4 to Bluehole or refuse to renew it?

Sounds like a great way to stop people using your engine.
mullet2000
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
mullet2000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stone Ocean

Welcome to the industry where everything is like Dark Souls or GTA or Overwatch and so on.

PUBG isnt special in that regard and wont be the last.

Again, not saying it shouldn't be allowed. I also think it's fair for Bluehole to think it was tacky and say as such.
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
darkside31337's Avatar

Originally Posted by li bur

Isn't it similar to MOBA? I mean DOTA, HON and LOL all look similar and there are no lawsuits there. I don't know if they have any ground here.

uhh there was a pretty big lawsuit over DOTA

and LOL at the thread title change.
giancarlo123x
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
giancarlo123x's Avatar

Originally Posted by NotLiquid

I wish Metal Gear Online or Metal Gear Survive would rip off PUBG tbh

Until Konami learns what netcode is please don't. Mgo is bad because of it and the player count is 16.
PeskyToaster
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
PeskyToaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by jdmonmou

Bluehole licenses Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games...creates megahit PUBG
Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

IMO, Bluehole is right to be concerned.

Building a game for UE4 doesn't imply some sort of super special secret relationship with Epic anymore. It's a pretty open engine.

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.

Yeah it's a company with that history plus the fact that PUBG is so heavily indebted creatively to its predecessors like Dayz, H1Z1, and the Battle Royale film that it's laughable that they have the balls to insinuate some sort of violation on Epic's part.
Last edited by PeskyToaster; 09-22-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Pastry
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
Pastry's Avatar
This is why the marketing idea with MS was short sighted. Theyíre going to be beaten to the PS4 by multiple devs so they can chase a marketing deal for the XBX? I just donít get that decision, it was really fucking stupid. If youíre making money hand over fist you put it all into getting on the console with the larger user base as quick as possible.
Saucycarpdog
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:15 PM)
Saucycarpdog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

I mean, guys, you were first, but given the tech side of your game is not there yet, it's a given a major player will come in and make it far better.

If I were PU, I'd be investing my profits right now, for they won't last long.

Lol. 1.3 million concurrent players aren't going to suddenly disappear. Not even when Ubisoft or someone else copies PUBG.
Kolx
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
Kolx's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

If Red Dead Redemption 2 Online has a Battle Royale mode than PUBG has no chance on consoles.


Anyway, could Epic revoke the license of UE4 to Bluehole or refuse to renew it?

Wouldn't that fuck their reputation and drive developers away?
The ๖ۜBronx
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
The ๖ۜBronx's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

If Red Dead Redemption 2 Online has a Battle Royale mode than PUBG has no chance on consoles.

I like the way you think.
benicillin
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
benicillin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.

of course they'd feel this way then. cheaters are always the most paranoid someone is gonna cheat on them.
jim2point0
Junior Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
jim2point0's Avatar

Originally Posted by miladesn

They should, it's a complete rip off. There is a difference being in same genre and a rip off like fortnite. Even some of the animation or UI elements is exact copy.

Hmmm.

So Fornite rips off PUBG rips off H1Z1. I'm sure it goes back further than that...

Point is, nothing is original. Fortnite does more to distinguish itself from PUBG than PUBG does from H1Z1.... from what I've seen at least.
Triggerhappytel
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
Triggerhappytel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Allforce

What, are you gonna sue? Jesus christ, you're making money hand over fist so put that money into something more useful than a team of lawyer's pockets....

What are they going to sue over? They didn't invent the sub-genre and you can't patent gameplay ideas, as I recall.
Yearsoflurking
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
I'm not a fan of creatively broke copy cats never been so i can see why bluehole is pissed. Epic basically stole the games whole formula including Animations ui etc they should sue
Nasbin
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
TLOU2 BR is gonna be lit.
bonesmccoy
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:16 PM)
bonesmccoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by mullet2000

I don't think that's an unreasonable statement from Bluehole, honestly. I thought it was a little weird how directly epic was referencing PUBG by name, too.

That seems like the kind of thing that would get people emailing their legal team.
Blam
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
Blam's Avatar
lol do they think they own the Battle Royale brand. Still tho EPIC shouldn't be using the name of another game in their marketing.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
Ninja Scooter's Avatar
the way Fortnite completely cribs certain apsects of PUBG goes a little beyond "inspired by" or "homage".
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
FyreWulff's Avatar

Originally Posted by jdmonmou

Bluehole licenses Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games...creates megahit PUBG
Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

IMO, Bluehole is right to be concerned.

Local Game Made In Same Engine As Other Game Finds It Easy To Replicate Other Game's Gameplay
NeOak
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
NeOak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.

Originally Posted by benicillin

of course they'd feel this way then. cheaters are always the most paranoid someone is gonna cheat on them.

True. But those developers left after the lawsuit. And TERA went downhill in quality of content due to that.

Playing TERA since open beta, it was noticeable how suddenly art direction and what seemed to be planned was scrapped.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by li bur

Isn't it similar to MOBA? I mean DOTA, HON and LOL all look similar and there are no lawsuits there. I don't know if they have any ground here.

Ignoring that your argument is correct in that lawsuits over games styles rarely occur for good reason. No one really owns dota so there's no aggrieved party. It started off as a mod for Warcraft 3 so blizzard has certain rights but it's not creatively there's. It's a bit of a legal mess but there's a reason why Dota 2 isn't called defense of the ancients 2.
Chobel
I shouldn't make bets because every time I do my tag gets worse
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
Chobel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exploratory

You guys realize the reason they're concerned is because Epic owns the Unreal Engine and is a partner with Bluehole right? It's not just some random team copying.

Wait, you implying Epic stole PUBG code?
NeonBlack
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
NeonBlack's Avatar
Where was this concern for the other Battle Royale like games?
Random Human
They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)

Originally Posted by darkside31337

uhh there was a pretty big lawsuit over DOTA

and LOL at the thread title change.

But that lawsuit was more over the branding (ie. whether Valve could call the game DOTA or if Blizzard owned that name), right? I don't think there have been any actual "the gameplay is similar" lawsuits.
EvB
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
EvB's Avatar

Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

I like the way you think.

What you gonna do? Jump out of a hot air balloon?
BronsonLee
Banned
(09-22-2017, 03:17 PM)
Why would Epic revoke anything, they're getting paid, they don't care

Red Dead 2 BR would be hella tight tho

Originally Posted by EvB

What you gonna do? Jump out of a hot air balloon?

Jump off of a moving train
Tiops
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:18 PM)
Tiops's Avatar
LMAO at the title change.

And they're stupid about complaining about this. Successfull games are "copied" all the time. Hopefully one of those copies can run at more than 15 FPS when running the game at Medium configuration.
benicillin
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:18 PM)
benicillin's Avatar

Originally Posted by NeonBlack

Where was this concern for the other Battle Royale like games?

None of those had such a big chance of eating PUBG's lunch on consoles.
yukianderson
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:18 PM)
yukianderson's Avatar
Expect a lot of game next E3 to clone this game. They should move fast and finish the game or get lost behind.
SG-17
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:18 PM)
SG-17's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ikuu

Sounds like a great way to stop people using your engine.

Originally Posted by Kolx

Wouldn't that fuck their reputation and drive developers away?

I'm not saying that they should or even would, I am just curious if it's within their rights to do so.


Originally Posted by The ๖ۜBronx

I like the way you think.

It's almost a certainty. If one game can toss PUBG in the dustbin on consoles, it's RDR2.
Mass_Pincup
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:18 PM)
Mass_Pincup's Avatar
Welcome to the creatively bankrupt game industry, where copying something is better then innovating.
conpfreak
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:18 PM)
conpfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

Lol. 1.3 million concurrent players aren't going to suddenly disappear. Not even when Ubisoft or someone else copies PUBG.

If a better alternative comes along, those numbers WILL go way down. I personally don't get the hype over the concept and game, but whatever.
Slate Soda
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
Slate Soda's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blablurn

as a ps4 owner i will give fortnite a try since pugb doesnt like us. i for one am glad epic is doing this.

lol.
Death Penalty
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
Death Penalty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

the way Fortnite completely cribs certain apsects of PUBG goes a little beyond "inspired by" or "homage".

Agreed. Considering the dev was heavily involved in the Arma mod AND H1Z1 I'd be peeved too. Like I'm sure it's not legally wrong, but Epic is definitely being scummy.
Rymuth
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
Rymuth's Avatar
Dat title change

dead.gif
GodofWine
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
GodofWine's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrlion

No we don't? lol. Reason why people play CSGO on those settings is because they copy pro csgo players when they are using settings from 1999 to get the most framerate and they win with it. We don't spend thousands of dollars to not get polish and bling lol

OK, in competitive type games. Or maybe I meant to say PC Communities also last longer despite new games coming out. I can play COD 2 right now on PC, because people still like it (not many though :) ) , or an older BF, but console moves on fast to the next shiny thing.

I had a point damnit :) , A pro-pc point, I swear I did.
Last edited by GodofWine; 09-22-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
Loudninja's Avatar

Originally Posted by conpfreak

If a better alternative comes along, those numbers WILL go way down. I personally don't get the hype over the concept and game, but whatever.

Thats how ti works like it always did its up to the devs to keep people interested.
z0m3le
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
z0m3le's Avatar
Beyond PS4 users, I'm not sure it matters.

As long as PUBG continues to update its game. It is the leader of the pack and because there will be dozens of clones, none should challenge the one already in place.

Counter Strike is still Counter Strike, even if Battlefield and Call of Duty copied it's gameplay a decade and a half ago.
Razgriz-Specter
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:19 PM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar
PUBG is like a ripoff of a billion games before it.
Vital Tundra
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
Vital Tundra's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

If Red Dead Redemption 2 Online has a Battle Royale mode than PUBG has no chance on consoles.

I can't even imagine. That Xbox deal would be literally for nothing. Hell it'll probably still be for nothing. The PS4 will get its AAA clone in only a matter of time.
mnannola
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
Anyone that is saying PUBG has a right to be pissed, does this mean H1Z1 devs have a right to be pissed about PUBG stealing a ton of what makes King of the Kill fun? Unless Bluehole has some kind of rights to King of the Kill, there is a metric ton of similarities between those two games, and King of the Kill did it first.

I also think it was a mod on ArmA first, but I don't think it was a paid mod so that may not matter.
Fancolors
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
Fancolors's Avatar
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...age-iii-assets

I mean, this was years ago but cmon man
Teletraan1
fuck those devs
cuz I'm down for my devs
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
Teletraan1's Avatar
I guess other trains are what is going to stop this train.
NeonBlack
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
NeonBlack's Avatar

Originally Posted by benicillin

None of those had such a big chance of eating PUBG's lunch on consoles.

I meant the games whose lunch Bluehole ate. No concern for keeping H1Z1 alive.
yukianderson
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
yukianderson's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blablurn

as a ps4 owner i will give fortnite a try since pugb doesnt like us. i for one am glad epic is doing this.

Second class citizen confirmed.
Venfayth
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
Venfayth's Avatar

Originally Posted by NeonBlack

Where was this concern for the other Battle Royale like games?

PlayerUnknown was involved with all of the major ones (Arma 3 BR, H1Z1 KOTK, and now PUBG)

This concern is now emerging because PUBG is the biggest game on Steam and Twitch right now, and Bluehole wants to protect that revenue.

Originally Posted by mnannola

Anyone that is saying PUBG has a right to be pissed, does this mean H1Z1 devs have a right to be pissed about PUBG stealing a ton of what makes King of the Kill fun? Unless Bluehole has some kind of rights to King of the Kill, there is a metric ton of similarities between those two games, and King of the Kill did it first.

I also think it was a mod on ArmA first, but I don't think it was a paid mod so that may not matter.

I don't think anyone has a right to be pissed about genre ideas, but see my above comments, all of these games share a common author.
NotLiquid
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
NotLiquid's Avatar

Originally Posted by giancarlo123x

Until Konami learns what netcode is please don't. Mgo is bad because of it and the player count is 16.

I'm speaking in an ideal world where the netcode of the game would be good of course.

Unfortunately we don't live in that ideal world, because more than just not having good online functionality, Konami are just allergic to good ideas - such as an MGO with a Battle Royale mode that would actually justify MGSV's dumb as hell oversized map.
TimeEffect
Member
(09-22-2017, 03:20 PM)
TimeEffect's Avatar
How is pubg different from day z

Genuinely asking because i dont understand its success if theyre all the same concept

Id really like to see Last of Us do it as the mechanics are all there

Thread Tools