• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Spieler Eins
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:10 PM)
Spieler Eins's Avatar

Originally Posted by StoOgE

I know right, all those Jewish jokes from way back when are super funny because Matt Stone considers himself ethnically Jewish, and they make fun of everyone anyway.... so when Cartman dressed like Hitler back in Season 8 and started a race riot chanting the words "We must exterminate the Jews" it was actually hilarious and I'm just an out of touch old man.

That episode is a classic.
Gentleman Jack
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:10 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by ken_matthews

That is interesting. I thought it looked like a poorly drawn fish with lipstick and earnings, and the reference never crossed my mind. But now that you point it out, it actually does a bit. I do not think it is intentional.

They made no effort to make the fish look like Donda West.
The design isn't an 'accident.'
They made a mammy fish.
RumbleHumble
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

He's also a prepotent, self absorbed, arrogant dick who supports Trump.

Which is why going after him for making a video game about his dead mom and making her into a "mammy" is all the more fucking dumb.

So many people here discussing what's going on under the surface of the joke, poking fun at Kanye's ego and melodrama, and there are jokes you can do with that and make it funny. But they went here instead because...because it's gross?
sjay1994
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:11 PM)
sjay1994's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mass_Pincup

And that makes it ok to enjoy gay joke about him as well as mocking the death of his mother?

I mean, the joke of Kanye being a gay fish isn't a slant on him being gay, but because he doesn't have a sense of humor and took things so seriously back in 2009 (and still to this day).

Sure the Gayfish joke of "fishdicks in your mouth" segment probably wouldn't fly 8 years later after that episode originally aired, but it became one of the most popular gags in South Park.

And referring to him as a Gay Fish and depicting him as a fish instead of referring to or depicting him as Kanye West was done to avoid legal proceedings.
bigjeffery
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:11 PM)
bigjeffery's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glass Shark

I can already see the excuses now... ďhow would anyone know it was a female fish unless we put dark red lipstick on it???Ē

Hey idiots, maybe just realize the joke isnít funny and drop the whole thing so no one can even question whether you put blackface in you game or not.

Fucking manchildren.

Love to get lectured on what is and isn't funny from someone named after a McElroy brothers joke.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(09-22-2017, 07:11 PM)
Enduin's Avatar
Yeah that Mammy Fish is fucked up and racist. Whether the rest of it is fine or not doesn't really matter. Amazed they let it go, let alone approve it for marketing.
Ahasverus
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:12 PM)
Ahasverus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Undead Fantasy

Stick of Truth with every purchase?

yessir

Originally Posted by RumbleHumble

Which is why going after him for making a video game about his dead mom and making her into a "mammy" is all the more fucking dumb.

So many people here discussing what's going on under the surface of the joke, poking fun at Kanye's ego and melodrama, and there are jokes you can do with that and make it funny. But they went here instead because...because it's gross?

I'm not defending this, this did go too far imo. However, I know better than getting outraged at South park 20 years later.
Dynasty
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:12 PM)
Bit mean spirited mocking Kanye's dead mother.

Trailer wasnt that good but still looking forward to the game though.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(09-22-2017, 07:13 PM)
ZeoVGM's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

Maybe they'll make special gaf trailers one day.
This is South Park ffs.

When was the last time South Park used a black stereotype such as the mammy shit in this video?
Mass_Pincup
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

He's also a prepotent, self absorbed, arrogant dick who supports Trump.

Racist jokes are ok because he's "an arrogant dick".

Got it.
Undead Fantasy
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:14 PM)
Undead Fantasy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

yessir

I'm not defending this, this did go too far imo. However, I know better than getting outraged at South park 20 years later.

I'm guessing a digital code right?
Village
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:15 PM)
Village's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahasverus


I'm not defending this, this did go too far imo. However, I know better than getting outraged at South park 20 years later.

When did being critical become being outraged?
ThisGuy
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:15 PM)
ThisGuy's Avatar
Twice burned defending south park. :/
Ahasverus
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:15 PM)
Ahasverus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mass_Pincup

Racist jokes are ok because he's "an arrogant dick".

Got it.

I don't think there's anybody here defending the joke.

Originally Posted by Village

When did being critical become being outraged?

The joke is mean, racist, homophobic and bad. We all know that.
Gentleman Jack
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:15 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Village

When did being critical become being outraged?

When folks started to question the default cultural assumptions about gender and race put into video games and Anita Sarkeesian made a youtube video about it.
8bit
Knows the Score
(09-22-2017, 07:15 PM)
8bit's Avatar
This looks like a hot mess incoming, quite surprised at tone of recent reveals and do wonder if there is worse to come.
Village
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:16 PM)
Village's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

He's also a prepotent, self absorbed, arrogant dick who supports Trump.

So homophobic and racist jokes are ok, because you don't like someone.

That's some wild shit homie
spannicus
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:16 PM)
spannicus's Avatar
Pretty harsh
RumbleHumble
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by ThisGuy

Twice burned defending south park. :/

I know the feeling. :(
Bacon
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:17 PM)
Bacon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

I don't think there's anybody here defending the joke.

Oh, there's plenty.
Village
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:17 PM)
Village's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

When folks started to question the default cultural assumptions about gender and race put into video games and Anita Sarkeesian made a youtube video about it.

Yeah.

I didn't expect an answer to the question, but that's a good answer.
Ahasverus
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:18 PM)
Ahasverus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Village

So homophobic and racist jokes are ok, because you don't like someone.

That's some wild shit homie

He asked why do people hate Kanye West. Nobody here is saying "he deserves that joke"!.

And, actually, I didn't see the black face until it was pointed out in this thread. That's some racist shit.

Originally Posted by Undead Fantasy

I'm guessing a digital code right?

I actually don't know. They possibly can fit both games on disc., I don't think it's heavy on assets.
Diprosalic
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:20 PM)
Diprosalic's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

Oh shit, I thought this was Q1 2018.

based on the trailer it's Q1 2004
Glass Shark
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:20 PM)
Glass Shark's Avatar
.
Catchpenny
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:21 PM)
Catchpenny's Avatar
Making fun of Kanye and his ridiculous game is fine. Fix the mammy fish, though. I doubt that was intentional, but it looks real bad.
Mass_Pincup
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

I don't think there's anybody here defending the joke.

Well you are.

I was specifically responding to a post asking how JeTmAn81 thought that these jokes were fair play because it's Kanye.

I don't see the reason for listing Kanye's shortcomings if not to justify the jokes.

It don't make sense otherwise.
RumbleHumble
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Glass Shark

Iím not lecturing you, enjoy what you want. But if youíre gonna go to bat for literal blackface, please be aware of what that says about you as a person.

To back this up, Glass Shark, you weren't telling people what is or isn't funny. You were telling people that using black face to lampoon black people in media is racist. Which, I mean, c'mon. Duh.
Twilight Princess
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:22 PM)
Twilight Princess's Avatar
What was the joke Kanye made? Iím not getting this at all.
spannicus
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:24 PM)
spannicus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twilight Princess

What was the joke Kanye made? Iím not getting this at all.

They calling him a gay fish. Kanye wanted to make a game about his mother going to heaven and SP is making fun of that.
yuoke
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:24 PM)
yuoke's Avatar
And people question why they still have that disclaimer before every episode.
Zero315
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:24 PM)
And yet people jumped on me in the ESRB thread when I said I was giving the game side eye about its handling of racial issues.

Looks like this game is gonna be a hard pass for me.
Chezzymann
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:25 PM)
Chezzymann's Avatar
Awesome trailer, south park still has it
Undead Fantasy
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:25 PM)
Undead Fantasy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

He asked why do people hate Kanye West. Nobody here is saying "he deserves that joke"!.

And, actually, I didn't see the black face until it was pointed out in this thread. That's some racist shit.

I actually don't know. They possibly can fit both games on disc., I don't think it's heavy on assets.

Having both on the disc would be neat. If not then I'll just get SoT on PS3.
Mechanized
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:25 PM)
Mechanized's Avatar
That was pretty fucking great. lmao

I'll have to pick this up I guess, especially since Stick is free with it and I haven't played that either.
Lightning_Roller
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Zero315

And yet people jumped on me in the ESRB thread when I said I was giving the game side eye about its handling of racial issues.

Looks like this game is gonna be a hard pass for me.

You're not the only one. Not giving Trey and Matt a single cent for that shit they decided to put into the game because they thought it was funny. Funny my black ass.....
_h8bit
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:26 PM)
Don't quite understand the "well he defends bill cosby and supports trump" statements either.

They're not making fun of him for either of these things. They should! Instead they did this.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(09-22-2017, 07:26 PM)
wenis's Avatar

Originally Posted by yuoke

And people question why they still have that disclaimer before every episode.

That disclaimer doesn't excuse them from criticism.
sensui-tomo
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:26 PM)
sensui-tomo's Avatar
Tasteless attempt at humor and is odd considering how well their humor is. Maybe context will answer reasoning behind it but man is it insulting. *The mammy part and going after someone's dead mom*
RumbleHumble
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:27 PM)

Originally Posted by wenis

That disclaimer doesn't excuse them from criticism.

Disclaimer also doesn't make racist imagery suddenly no longer racist.
ken_matthews
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:27 PM)
ken_matthews's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

They made no effort to make the fish look like Donda West.
The design isn't an 'accident.'
They made a mammy fish.

Maybe, but maybe they just tried to make a generic cartoon female fish. Our biases and preconceptions shape the way we interpret the world around us. I am not saying you are wrong, but I also would not be so sure of myself. I do not think Trey and Matt are racists, so maybe it was unintentional, but maybe it was pointless "edginess". That seems to be a lot what the show has become over the last five to ten years. Still, there is no doubt about the resemblance. So if this impression gets back to them (and I won't be surprised if it did), lets see if they change its appearance.

Also, the male fish does not look like Kanye either; they clearly made no effort there (minus the chain). Maybe they shouldn't have even tried, and instead just had two generic looking cartoon fish; that might have made the gag better.
Gentleman Jack
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:28 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twilight Princess

What was the joke Kanye made? Iím not getting this at all.

South Park had an episode in Season 13 where they again retreated to the 'loud, insecure celebrity is actually a closeted gay man' well of jokes (having done so earlier with Tom Cruise/John Travolta in Season 9), but this time it was a B-Story about Cartman stealing a 'gay fish' joke from Jimmy, only to also have it stolen from him by Carlos Mencia, who tells it to Kanye. The whole joke boils down to 'Kanye has no sense of humor and is insecure about his closeted homosexuality.'

Now we've got a talking gay fish (minus all of the context about joke stealing and humorless celebrities) with a gold chain and a dead mom. Someone posted the context for the 'unicorn' video game on the first page. Now they've added a full-on mammy fish for no good reason. And we got clowns in here fronting like this is what South Park is and does and stop being outraged snowflakes omg.

Originally Posted by ken_matthews

Maybe, but maybe they just tried to make a generic cartoon female fish.

Bitch Pudding
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:28 PM)
Bitch Pudding's Avatar
I'm 40 years old. I have an idea who Keyne West is but only because he was made fun of in an older South Park episode ("the fishdicks" one). I couldn't name one song of him nor was I aware that his mother just died. Hence, I didn't 'get' the inappropriate joke about his mother, nor did I make a connection between the fish and her, let alone black people. For me, it was just a random fish on a farting unicorn.

So, please, do not confuse me finding this trailer 'awesome' with me defending the racist joke.
CloudStrife_ca
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:29 PM)
CloudStrife_ca's Avatar
I'm stoked, the Stick of Truth was a hilarious game and pretty well paced. I'm sure the delays in the launch of this game will ensure just as much quality as the first game.
SheHateMe
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:29 PM)
SheHateMe's Avatar
Well that trailer did the opposite of what it was supposed to do: I'm now questioning my 2+ year pre-order.

I'm probably going to skip it.

What bothers me is that we can throw the "jokes at Kanye" out the window and still get a shit segment: if you made the son a green fish, why couldn't the mother be a green fish? And don't give me that shit that you wouldn't have known that she was his mom; I knew that was KW before a word popped out of his mouth.

That mammy fish is piss poor comedy. The whole thing is, outside of the see you soon joke, which was funny, can't front.

South Park has made me laugh a lot over the years, but this here is mean spirited and racist.

And go eat a dick if you look up the word mammy and come back and say it's not racist, it's just a joke.
Chaos2Frozen
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:30 PM)
Chaos2Frozen's Avatar
Oh wow, they literally meant it when they said they were doing this segment back in the 2016 E3 conference @_@

Despite that, the "Wait, what the fuck does that suppose to mean?!" got a chuckle out of me.
Mass_Pincup
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Bitch Pudding

I'm 40 years old. I have an idea who Keyne West is but only because he was made fun of in an older South Park episode ("the fishdicks" one). I couldn't name one song of him nor was I aware that his mother just died. Hence, I didn't 'get' the inappropriate joke about his mother, nor did I make a connection between the fish and her, let alone black people. For me, it was just a random fish on a farting unicorn.

So, please, do not confuse me finding this trailer 'awesome' with me defending the racist joke.

I'm not doubting you or anything but I wonder what you found "awesome" about that trailer since pretty much all of it require to know Kanye West and some of his antics.
Mechanized
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:31 PM)
Mechanized's Avatar
*reads thread*

Oh for fuck sakes.
Bad7667
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:31 PM)
Bad7667's Avatar
I remember when Matt and Trey were at the ubi e3 press conference a couple years ago and they were making fun of Kanye's game about his Mom and it feeling really mean and made me uncomfortable.

This trailer is the same shit but worse with that blackface fish. Only funny part was the "see you soon" joke.

I really like South Park but man this trailer was fucked.
Ahasverus
Member
(09-22-2017, 07:31 PM)
Ahasverus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mass_Pincup

Well you are.

I was specifically responding to a post asking how JeTmAn81 thought that these jokes were fair play because it's Kanye.

I don't see the reason for listing Kanye's shortcomings if not to justify the jokes.

It don't make sense otherwise.

I think the joke is super fucked up, don't put words in my mouth.
Mass_Pincup
Banned
(09-22-2017, 07:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

I think the joke is super fucked up, don't put words in my mouth.

Than put more effort to understand what you're responding to.

Thread Tools