• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheVampire
Banned
(09-23-2017, 05:01 AM)
TheVampire's Avatar
After all these years I still firmly believe that Driveclub has the best environments and vegetation in any racer.

I see new racing games getting released and the trees and vegetation are all 2D and quite shitty looking.

Where as the trees and vegetation in Driveclub actually look real and 3D when you get up close. It feels like you could park your car, jump over the barrier and take a walk in the forests.

These are just a bunch of screenshots ive saved over a while that other people have posted to illustrate what I mean.



























Does any other racing game even come close?

I know these are fancy photomode screenshots that clear up the image quality a bit but the actual vegetation doesn't change in that mode.
reKon
Banned
(09-23-2017, 05:06 AM)
just kidding
fastmower
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:07 AM)
fastmower's Avatar

Originally Posted by reKon

Final Fantasy XV

Great racing game.
7DollarHagane
Banned
(09-23-2017, 05:08 AM)
It's a really beautiful game. Did it ever get pro support?
GodofWine
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:09 AM)
GodofWine's Avatar
Driveclub is gorgeous and the sense of speed it gives you is also incredible.
Zaki2407
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:09 AM)
Zaki2407's Avatar
Can't wait for Driveclub 4K Remaster on PS5.
4K, HDR, and 60fps.
ghibli99
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:11 AM)
ghibli99's Avatar
Every time I see Driveclub screenshots, I think I have to give the game another chance. Then I do and quickly lose interest. Something about it has never felt right to me, despite numerous attempts to make it click. But yeah, game looks amazing.
Bitch Pudding
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:11 AM)
Bitch Pudding's Avatar
It looks gorgeous, but driving the cars was a mess.
pretty done
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:11 AM)
pretty done's Avatar
Oddly enough this is one of the few games that I feel looks pretty bad now on my 4KTV. Game looks jaggy as hell on an X800D.

I remember really being wow'd by it on my Panny plasma. Wish it got a Pro patch or something to add AA or up the res.
Duchess O'Death
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:11 AM)
Duchess O'Death's Avatar
I think it's the best racing game this gen.
xenorevlis
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:12 AM)
xenorevlis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bitch Pudding

It looks gorgeous, but driving the cars was a mess.

It's alright to be completely wrong about stuff. In this case, you're only half wrong.
VanWinkle
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:13 AM)
VanWinkle's Avatar
Completely agreed. But I mean, we ARE still in the same generation.

Only big issue this game had visually was the image quality. Pretty rough. It was also a liiitle more visually inconsistent than I like.
CartridgeBlower
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:16 AM)
Evolution knew how to make racing games. Such a shame they got disbanded. They were one of the most talented studios in terms of graphics + gameplay I think I'd ever seen.

It's crazy how rocky Driveclub's start was with the PS Plus debacle, but it might still be the best racing game this gen.

Such a gem.
Baroquemantic
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:19 AM)
Baroquemantic's Avatar
Indeed it does, for the most part. Shame we'll never get a sequel. One of my favorite racers ever.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about FH3. It also has pretty great environments and vegetation.
GGNKovalski
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:24 AM)
GGNKovalski's Avatar
Game was so underrated. So good. One of my favorite racing games in years. Shame what happened to Evo. Was really wanting a follow-up.
xenorevlis
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:24 AM)
xenorevlis's Avatar

Originally Posted by CartridgeBlower

Evolution knew how to make racing games. Such a shame they got disbanded. They were one of the most talented studios in terms of graphics + gameplay I think I'd ever seen.

It's crazy how rocky Driveclub's start was with the PS Plus debacle, but it might still be the best racing game this gen.

Such a gem.

Well, know that a large part of the team was brought aboard Codemasters to work on a project of their own. Looking forward to see where that all goes.
Tinúviel
Junior Member
(09-23-2017, 05:25 AM)
Tinúviel's Avatar
It’s sad that we’ll never get Pro patch let alone sequel.

Game has stunning visuals but it desperately needs proper AA and AF.
Mohasus
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:29 AM)
Mohasus's Avatar
Played it for the first time this year. And I was really disappointed in the graphics department. Sure, those screenshots look nice, but most of the time the game is ugly. I guess the devs noticed it too, so they made it rain in most races.

https://youtu.be/16l7f6Nqzcc?t=12
The textures on those rocks look like something from PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't think it is the looker people make it to be.
CartridgeBlower
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:32 AM)

Originally Posted by xenorevlis

Well, know that a large part of the team was brought aboard Codemasters to work on a project of their own. Looking forward to see where that all goes.

We'll see if it's enough where it still feels like an Evolution game, but I hope you are right. Fingers crossed.
Crayon
(09-23-2017, 05:33 AM)
Crayon's Avatar
I feel kind of bad for never trying this. I love motorstorm. I guess it's not too late. I should pick it up.
VanWinkle
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:33 AM)
VanWinkle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mohasus

Played it for the first time this year. And I was really disappointed in the graphics department. Sure, those screenshots look nice, but most of the time the game is ugly. I guess the devs noticed it too, so they made it rain in most races.

https://youtu.be/16l7f6Nqzcc?t=12
The textures on those rocks look like something from PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't think it is the looker people make it to be.

I never understand why the people that decry the graphics in this game always show videos/screenshots during the ugliest time of day and with no weather. Like, EVERY TIME it's midday and sunny.

And I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means. It's just that sunny midday is pretty much the only time the game looks rough and even then not always.
Bitch Pudding
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:34 AM)
Bitch Pudding's Avatar

Originally Posted by xenorevlis

It's alright to be completely wrong about stuff. In this case, you're only half wrong.

No, I'm serious, it does look gorgeous.
ALLseeingEYE
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:36 AM)
ALLseeingEYE's Avatar
Those are beautiful screens, but from what I played, nothing like how I remember it looking in gameplay, which seems closer to this:



I always found it to look a bit drab and muddy, and the image quality was poor. A PC version or PS5 version could do a lot for it.
Everlya_Apocryha
Banned
(09-23-2017, 05:38 AM)
Also the best weather effect
Synth
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:38 AM)
Synth's Avatar

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

I never understand why the people that decry the graphics in this game always show videos/screenshots during the ugliest time of day and with no weather. Like, EVERY TIME it's midday and sunny.

And I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means. It's just that sunny midday is pretty much the only time the game looks rough and even then not always.

Probably because sunny midday is the clearest of conditions, lacking the elements that hide the IQ and texture weaknesses?

Game looks better the less you can make out.
IronicSonic
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:38 AM)
IronicSonic's Avatar
It's shows what a 30fps racing game can do
Xer0
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:39 AM)
Xer0's Avatar
One of the favorite driving games of all time.

I understand they struggled with development, but, man, I really think Sony blew it when they shut Evolution down. Driveclub 2 could have been something special.

Game is still probably one of the best looking games on the platform.
BottleFlip
Banned
(09-23-2017, 05:42 AM)
Yeah, those photomode screenshots look significantly better than what I remember seeing in actual gameplay. Beautiful game regardless though.
Sygma
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:48 AM)
Sygma's Avatar


Just my random contribution.

No bs shot like in DriveClub. Don't get me wrong I love Driveclub, very much so but you won't get it looking good outside of stormy weather. However ... at night with thunder it does look absolutely ridiculous. Driveclub Bikes in this condition is defo the most exhilarating experience out there
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(09-23-2017, 05:50 AM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Duchess O'Death

I think it's the best racing game this gen.

Absolutely.
Arondight
Member
(09-23-2017, 05:57 AM)
Arondight's Avatar
The environments are definitely dependent on the lighting settings. Night, morning and afternoons most particularly when the sun is on an angle and showing quite a bit of shadow and far more vibrant and colourful look brilliant even without weather but it's not going to look great in mid day settings or when say the mountains cover the sunlight giving it a muted look which I constantly see people who disagree with Graphics post. The only thing I'd say hurts the game is generally the IQ in particular aliasing but I remember being fairly impressed with the foliage particularly Japan and Canada. I've played Forza 6, PC and DC still is the top for me in particular environments especially in how dense it looks as well.
Kickz
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:00 AM)
Kickz's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

Absolutely.

Nah Forza Horizon says hi
FlutterPuffs
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:05 AM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sygma

Just my random contribution.

No bs shot like in DriveClub. Don't get me wrong I love Driveclub, very much so but you won't get it looking good outside of stormy weather. However ... at night with thunder it does look absolutely ridiculous. Driveclub Bikes in this condition is defo the most exhilarating experience out there

You can, unfortunately, their dedication to have everything simulated without any tricks became a problem when there can be times that you're driving in suboptimal conditions, image wise.

They could use what Horizon did, artificially fast forward the time where the lighting makes everything look shit, to when they reach one of the day's golden moments.
Tagyhag
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:05 AM)
Tagyhag's Avatar
Yeah the rainy races were so good. I'm really curious if Sony will end up doing something for PS5.

Originally Posted by ALLseeingEYE

Those are beautiful screens, but from what I played, nothing like how I remember it looking in gameplay, which seems closer to this:

I always found it to look a bit drab and muddy, and the image quality was poor. A PC version or PS5 version could do a lot for it.

Well it's photo mode aka bullshots.

That's my only gripe with photo mode in games, what you see is not what you get. :P
Wedzi
Banned
(09-23-2017, 06:07 AM)
Imagine if they made a Motorstorm on PS4 *sigh
Marcellus Wallace
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:07 AM)
Marcellus Wallace's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

Nah Forza Horizon says hi

No, just no.
jiggle
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:08 AM)
jiggle's Avatar
Thats a nice full bush
TimeEffect
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:09 AM)
Still waiting for rain as good.
Rayge
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:10 AM)
Rayge's Avatar
All I ever see from this game is photomode stuff. What do stills of the environment look like during actual gameplay.
Remij
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:12 AM)
Remij's Avatar
Forza Horizon 3 is a much better looking game. Much better game too.
Gandalf
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:13 AM)
Gandalf's Avatar
Still my favourite racer this gen.

The weather effects are great too.
Darknight
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:13 AM)
Darknight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaki2407

Can't wait for Driveclub 4K Remaster on PS5.
4K, HDR, and 60fps.

Sony shouldnt have killed the studio.
onQ123
Junior Member
(09-23-2017, 06:16 AM)
onQ123's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sygma



Just my random contribution.

No bs shot like in DriveClub. Don't get me wrong I love Driveclub, very much so but you won't get it looking good outside of stormy weather. However ... at night with thunder it does look absolutely ridiculous. Driveclub Bikes in this condition is defo the most exhilarating experience out there


I hope this picture wasn't an attempt to contradict what the OP said lol
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(09-23-2017, 06:20 AM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kickz

Nah Forza Horizon says hi

Love em both, but even when I put a ton of hours into Horizon - and believe me I have - I find myself wanting to go back to DC. The handling is unique for sure, but I just find that it grabs me more and holds on to me for longer.

More on topic, the detail in DC's environments is batshit, as you can see in what must be thousands of screens now in the various console screenshot threads. Its nuts that Evo put that much effort in for what most players will just fly on by.
jaypah
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:25 AM)
jaypah's Avatar
It was kind of hit or miss graphically. I don't want to say muddy because that seems like the cliche but....muddy. Still shots look great, weather in-game looked great, IQ aside a lot of the conditions looked great. The artists did an amazing job and the different parts (IQ aside) come together for what is probably the best looking racing game released so far. Forza 7 can't match it in every category but after running the 4k HDR clips through my tv's media player I think F7 may have the better all around package. But someone posted some shots of the trackside details of F7 in another thread and they were nowhere near DriveClub. DriveClub has environments outside of the race track that are so good I can imagine them being levels in a non-racing game.
Kyoufu
(09-23-2017, 06:28 AM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darknight

Sony shouldnt have killed the studio.

They didn't. Codemasters owns them now.
Bravestarr
Junior Member
(09-23-2017, 06:33 AM)
Bravestarr's Avatar
Your screenshots remind me that Driveclub still has no PS4 Pro patch... and will never get one because the developer is no longer in charge for the game.

Stil a great game with great graphics.
NippleViking
Banned
(09-23-2017, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by onQ123

I hope this picture wasn't an attempt to contradict what the OP said lol

Pri sure that's a Forza Horizon 3 shot. And outside of photomode, yeah, I'd say FH3 holds up against Driveclub. Though I feel like Playground Games employ some illusory wizardry there.
drotahorror
Member
(09-23-2017, 06:37 AM)
drotahorror's Avatar

Originally Posted by Duchess O'Death

I think it's the best racing game this gen.

Easily. Love the handling in this game, I can't wrap my head around it when say the driving mechanics suck. It's literally the best handling I've experienced this gen.
RedRum
Banned
(09-23-2017, 06:40 AM)

Originally Posted by NippleViking

Pri sure that's a Forza Horizon 3 shot. And outside of photomode, yeah, I'd say FH3 holds up against Driveclub. Though I feel like Playground Games employ some illusory wizardry there.

For a game as large as FH3, I'll have to agree on the wizardry.

Thread Tools