• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

TheGrue

So many people spent so much time being negative on the game because of who was developing it and not actually watching footage of the game, which looked pretty damned good. Maybe now people can lay off Mercury Steam.

Can't wait for my Metroid 3DS, Metroid Amiibos, and this game. I beat the original on the Gameboy back in college and enjoyed it, so am itching to give this a try.

Stopdoor

IGNs review actually reads a little more positive than the score suggests IMO.[/url]

It's an 8.5. Shouldn't be surprising it's positive. Thread maker knew what he was doing putting a sub-9 score at the beginning of a review thread, lol. Will fuel this for pages.

Weird to hear people compare even this to Dark Souls. Like, really? Haven't we all realized it's a cliche by now? It's not like they pulled out a combat focus out of their butts, it's a remake literally predicated on the unique series goal of "exterminate 40+ Metroid to win the game".

Awesome, well done Mercury Steam.

Yep, especially when people were quick to jump down their throats and decry their ability to make anything beyond decent.

Especially, especially when at least one of those users here also decried the ability for anything related to the Rabbids to be anything more than... what was it again? Something like "rushed C tier" lol.

It has definitely been a great year for Nintendo!

Akai__

I'm still a person that doesn't care about Review Scores, but they have their importance in this industry and it's great that it is reviewing well.

So... better than Federation Force?

Not really hard to beat that abomination of a "Metroid" game.

Duffk1ng

Are these real posts?

Also I know completely different reviewers and all, but IGN also gave Metroid Other M an 8.5. Fun fact.

They are indeed. I typed it on my keyboard. I'm doing it now, even! Magic. It's just a passing remark. I'm used to seeing a 9 when IGN is that positive about a game, is all.

My italian review: https://www.nintendon.it/recensione-metroid-samus-returns-132797

9/10

Quick sum up: the game is amazing. It's Metroid. Controls are perfect, in one second you feel like you're playing Zero Mission again. Very good level design and atmosphere, fun from beginning to end (11 hours to 100%).
It's not perfect though. The soundtrack has some amazing remixes but the atmospheric tracks didn't stick with me. Defeating Metroids could feel repetitive, and even though the surprising new bosses are a good addition, they kinda spoiled too much.
The backtracking may be divisive: the game is divided in areas, each area is full of backtracking but once you are done, you may want to come back only for powerups. And fuck the amiibo bullshit.
Overall a great game and a worthy 2D Metroid. If you have questions I'm here.

Majine

Banned
IGN said:
Aside from a few minor tweaks and a new look, Metroid: Samus Returns doesn’t do anything new to the series; and that’s probably for the best.

Ugh, I despise this kind of thinking.

I want games to take risks, damn it!

Lenght of a first playthrough?

It was about 15 hours for me. Mind you, I sometimes backtracked but that is to be expected from a Metroid-game. But the backtracking is a lot more voluntairy than in previous Metroid-games. The gameworld is devided into 'levels' that you switch between with elevators. You mostly can visit older regions for extra energy and rocket tanks.

nynt9

This highlights my fears about the combat:

"There's also something off about how Samus Returns folds in some of the more combat-heavy leanings of Other M - that most divisive of Metroids - into this remake. Samus now has a free aim, and is reliant on counter attacks that open up the defences of enemies. The problem is how a majority of enemies require that counter in order to be dealt with, leading to a staccato rhythm to the action as you're constantly stopped in your tracks for such one-note encounters. It's all counter to the free-form exploration that the rest of Samus Returns dictates, and it's not helped by a slight sloppiness that can be felt in the controls."

Honestly, I don't necessarily trust a lot of reviewers to hone in on what makes combat good/bad, so I'll have to see for myself. Always thought adding more combat to metroid was an extraneous idea.

At least it's nice to hear the game is overall fine.

"There's also something off about how Samus Returns folds in some of the more combat-heavy leanings of Other M - that most divisive of Metroids - into this remake. Samus now has a free aim, and is reliant on counter attacks that open up the defences of enemies. The problem is how a majority of enemies require that counter in order to be dealt with, leading to a staccato rhythm to the action as you're constantly stopped in your tracks for such one-note encounters. It's all counter to the free-form exploration that the rest of Samus Returns dictates, and it's not helped by a slight sloppiness that can be felt in the controls."

Honestly, I don't necessarily trust a lot of reviewers to hone in on what makes combat good/bad, so I'll have to see for myself. Always thought adding more combat to metroid was an extraneous idea.

I do agree that the controls for the aiming could have been better, but I got used to it in four hours or so and felt like a proper bad ass after that.

It was about 15-20 hours for me. Mind you, I sometimes backtracked but that is to be expected from a Metroid-game. But the backtracking is a lot more voluntairy than in previous Metroid-games. The gameworld is devided into 'levels' that you switch between with elevators. You mostly can visit older regions for extra energy and rocket tanks.

Yeah, Metroid II has always been one of the more linear games. It's nice they've added more incentive for exploration even though the progression appears to be as rigid as the original.

Wow, is this that 7= terrible 8= fine 9= good enough 10= check cleared hardcore gamer attitude towards reviewers in action? With an added 'journalists don't know what they're talking about'? for good measure?

DonF

I dont have a 3ds, not planning to play this, but damn I'm happy to have Samus back and with good scores. Can't wait for prime 4.

Yeah, Metroid II has always been one of the more linear games. It's nice they've added more incentive for exploration even though the progression appears to be as rigid as the original.

I thought it was a good balance between exploring and lineairity. I mean, the different areas still made me make an internal map in my head (and on the screen ofcourse) with places that I couldn't visit yet. It still felt like walking through a maze sometimes. Just not as big a maze as, for example, Metroid Prime, where the whole world felt more connected.

So it was a plus for me instead of a con, but to each their own of course.

I'm getting a little emotional seeing such universal praise. I've replayed the game four times now but my opinions were clear within the first hour, this is the true return of Samus.

I'm not even a big fan of Metroid 2 but just like Zero Mission, Samus Returns feels like a completely new game. I'm glad most of us love it, hopefully this isn't the last we see of 2D Metroid. If you're interested then please show your support and buy it.

Interesting to see a lot of people's playtime over 10 hours. Could be the longest 2D Metroid then.

I thought it was a good balance between exploring and lineairity. I mean, the different areas still made me make an internal map in my head (and on the screen ofcourse) with places that I couldn't visit yet. It still felt like walking through a maze sometimes. Just not as big a maze as, for example, Metroid Prime, where the whole world felt more connected.

So it was a plus for me instead of a con, but to each their own of course.
That's fine to me as well. Ideally I would want something truly interconnected like Prime or Super, but there's room for different progression styles to keep things fresh. At least it's not Other M that is straight up obnoxious about how you traverse.

It's true that the counterattack feels forced at the beginning, especially against those flying things. But later, once you learn the rhytm and acquire new powerups, it just feels amazing to play.

Already have it preloaded on my 3DS and can't wait to start it. 2D Metroid > Prime so all you jokers better be buying this or I'll be under your bed when you go to sleep tonight.

nynt9

Wow, is this that 7= terrible 8= fine 9= good enough 10= check cleared hardcore gamer attitude towards reviewers in action? With an added 'journalists don't know what they're talking about'? for good measure?

No? Calm down. Don't freak out because I didn't use the praise words you approve of. I didn't mean fine as a backhanded compliment. It's a good thing.

It's true that the counterattack feels forced at the beginning, especially against those flying things. But later, once you learn the rhytm and acquire new powerups, it just feels amazing to play.

Yes, plus the counterattack is needed when the enemies become stronger. In the beginning I was like, what is this shit? But halfway I used it all the time. It also nullified the complain about the aiming making you stop moving, because when you do a succesful counterattack, Samus aims automatically after that. So its really helpful.

nynt9

Yes, plus the counterattack is needed when the enemies become stronger. In the beginning I was like, what is this shit? But halfway I used it all the time. It also nullified the complain about the aiming making you stop moving, because when you do a succesful counterattack, Samus aims automatically after that. So its really helpful.

That sounds better, thanks.

Servbot24

Banned
Ugh, I despise this kind of thinking.

I want games to take risks, damn it!

For healthy series, yes.

At this point in Metroid's life the best thing for it is to simply get its feet underneath it again. Another OM-like misstep would have been disastrous.

Top Bottom