• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

True. Plus if I remember correctly, Nomura and the other people making this game did say that there were looking into multiplayer elements so that might take a little bit more time.

....or was I just misreading things?

Nah, you're spot on. Going by Comrades in XV (which has a lot of really great elements) I think multiplayer elements will be standard for big FF releases in the future as well. I look forward to it, been wanting co-op mainline Final Fantasy games since I was small.

I also think you're right that there's a good chance they'll fiddle with the releases, perhaps tweaking or even changing the episodic formula. Nothing's certain about this game until the next time we see it, but your suggestion seems likely to me.

fortunato

Banned
Enough of this revisionist horseshit. One artist who previously worked on textures did not "make" an entire dungeon by himself, that requires a team of programmers, audio engineers, artists, QA, etc.

The article you linked which I've seen linked multiple times before simply states he designed it. By the same logic Yoko Taro created Nier Automata all by himself. Get real please.

It's disheartening to see people believing something like that solely to justify the mismanagement of a game they liked. You can like a game and still be aware of how badly managed the development was.

FinalAres

Don't move goalposts, I'm responding to someone who is putting forth a fake narrative that literally one man created a dungeon that takes hours to complete, which is complete lunacy.
I'm not moving goalposts. You'd talked about how much of a waste the resources put towards Pitioss were, way BEFORE the one person narrative was even brought up, and not by me. How is me pointing out how stupid what you originally said was, moving goalposts?

Comparing this to chocobo racing is absurd as chocobo racing is freely available to players as a mini game during the main quest.
So your definition of wasted resources is....anything endgame? Nice. Arbitrary. At least you've got your convictions though, regardless of how random they are.

FFXV hiding an enormous platforming dungeon in a secret location post-game that puts the other dungeons to shame is also a terrible waste of assets and time management.
Dragons Den, Sealed Temple, Deep Sea Research Facility. Do you like none of these? Do you even like Final Fantasy?

Nah, you're spot on. Going by Comrades in XV (which has a lot of really great elements) I think multiplayer elements will be standard for big FF releases in the future as well. I look forward to it, been wanting co-op mainline Final Fantasy games since I was small.

I also think you're right that there's a good chance they'll fiddle with the releases, perhaps tweaking or even changing the episodic formula. Nothing's certain about this game until the next time we see it, but your suggestion seems likely to me.
Yep same here. If Tetsuya Nomura and his team decide to add multiplayer then that's just fine with me. I enjoyed BBS's multiplayer and I really liked Comrades as well, plus I know that the can accomplish something awesome with this extra time that they have so I'm looking forward to the details.

If things have to be changed so that progress can happen then that's okay with me. If by some bizarre accident they have to cancel the ARPG system and go back to the ATB system then I'm totally play with that too. I know that I can't predict time or how the game will be but I just want it to be good. I'm not expecting the perfect 10000 out of 10 game that plays choir music every time you insert the disc in but Nomura has made some darn good games so I trust him on this. It will be great.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm not moving goalposts. You'd talked about how much of a waste the resources put towards Pitioss were, way BEFORE the one person narrative was even brought up, and not by me. How is me pointing out how stupid what you originally said was, moving goalposts?

You believe that it's stupid to claim that a post-game, hidden dungeon that is 10x+ times larger than any dungeon in the game, with brand-new platforming mechanics that are completely absent from the main game, was a good use of resources for a game that is still having story and gameplay fixes patched in a year after release, after a delayed release? Seems unnecessarily rude and defensive.

Let's get into your comparisons, shall we?

Dragons Den
This didn't exist in FFVI. GBA remasters have the luxury of adding bonus content without taking away from the original game's development.
Sealed Temple
Didn't exist in FFV, see above.
Deep Sea Research Facility.
A short dungeon that you can technically access in Disc 2 and can fully complete long before the 'endgame' isn't comparable to Pitioss for the reasons I mentioned.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
You believe that it's stupid to claim that a post-game, hidden dungeon that is 10x+ times larger than any dungeon in the game, with brand-new platforming mechanics that are completely absent from the main game, was a good use of resources for a game that is still having story and gameplay fixes patched in a year after release, after a delayed release? Seems unnecessarily rude and defensive.

There are no new mechanics. It's just that there wasn't much/any platforming in the rest of the game. They didn't need to design and new functions. The dungeon itself is mostly cobbled together simple geometry. It lacks the graphical detail that the other dungeons have. It's the type of dungeon users will be able to create in the upcoming level editor for the PC release.

Obviously someone had to make the assets for it and QA had to look at it, but I think you're overestimating how much resources it took.

Arkeband

Banned
There are no new mechanics. It's just that there wasn't much/any platforming in the rest of the game. They didn't need to design and new functions. The dungeon itself is mostly cobbled together simple geometry. It lacks the graphical detail that the other dungeons have. It's the type of dungeon users will be able to create in the upcoming level editor for the PC release.

Obviously someone had to make the assets for it and QA had to look at it, but I think you're overestimating how much resources it took.

You're being reductive - there is a wealth of moving parts and physics that don't exist anywhere outside of Pitioss.

Level editor isn't confirmed, either, it's something they're still "looking into", and you have no idea what that will even look like to be able to say that.

THE GUY

Banned
Wasn't it Nomura's decision to work with CyberConnect2 in the first place? And they've had to bring it back to internal development presumably because the quality doesn't meet the expectations Square Enix has?

Those magnetically managemental and vivacious visionary vision skills!

Koozek

You're being reductive - there is a wealth of moving parts and physics that don't exist anywhere outside of Pitioss.

Level editor isn't confirmed, either, it's something they're still "looking into", and you have no idea what that will even look like to be able to say that.
I think a level editor is pretty certain, at least his answer seemed more definitive:
One thing that PC gamers are really into is on the modification side of things. Many developers release tool-sets and design kits for their games on PC. While many people are anticipating mods to make the characters nude, there's likely going to much more than that with actual gameplay creations. What's your stance on PC mods, and are you OK with fans going at it with the game?

Hajime Tabata: Well, we'll definitely be allowing user-generated content for players. We know that that's a common thing. We'll provide a level editor so that players can create their own quests and their own mini missions. So that's at least one type of thing that we want to contribute and give to the players. But as far as the other stuff, we'll look at how the PC audience reacts to the Windows Edition with these and how many of them actually engaging with it. And depending on that, we might start thinking about what to contribute or what other tool sets to provide. We have plans for months, but we we want to see how this takes off first. Before we start thinking about okay, maybe if people seem to like this, so let's give them this tool set.

never realized that lol

FFXI was his true last Final Fantasy and then he went and supervised two of the greatest 360 RPG's Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.....both of which are fantastic.

FFXII and on has been pretty.....terrible IMO, I liked FFXV a lot but I can't imagine it ever being released if Nomura was left on it.

looking at the list.....the last thing Nomura did in full directing that wasn't a portable/mobile/remake title.....was kingdom hearts 2......and we all remember how insanely long that took. Dear god, how did this not wave red flags immediately blows my mind. This man is not Kojima
Lost Odyssey is simply one of my favorite RPGS ever. The writing in the little stories you find showed me emotions I didn't know I had.

I miss the quality of the older Final Fantasies. Honestly anything from X and back.

So what is calling him a cancer and saying he should be fired?

The same thing it's always been, childish nonsense.

It's never really going to end when it comes to Nomura either, whether he delivers a quality product in Kingdom Hearts III and FF7 Remake. People will simply cite the various other well-known staff members as the reason it worked like Tai Yasue for Kingdom Hearts III. I don't see people changing their tune when they talk about how they hope someone gets fired.

I won't deny he's made mistakes. He isn't blameless when it comes to Versus XIII but I think people's criticisms are a bit overblown. It feels like some cannot fathom other factors being a problem with these games (upper management, not enough staff ect.) besides him.

Mister Wolf

Wasn't it Nomura's decision to work with CyberConnect2 in the first place? And they've had to bring it back to internal development presumably because the quality doesn't meet the expectations Square Enix has?

Those magnetically managemental and vivacious visionary vision skills!

Nomura's greatest achievement of this generation will be providing guest character designs for Xenoblade 2.

RaijinFY

Toriyama after XIII team's development issues with trying to do everything in-house for the first XIII game.

VII-R's new development lead.

thinking-face_1f914.png

rofl...
So much confusion in that company.

THE GUY

Banned
The same thing it's always been, childish nonsense.

It's never really going to end when it comes to Nomura either, whether he delivers a quality product in Kingdom Hearts III and FF7 Remake. People will simply cite the various other well-known staff members as the reason it worked like Tai Yasue for Kingdom Hearts III. I don't see people changing their tune when they talk about how they hope someone gets fired.

I won't deny he's made mistakes. He isn't blameless when it comes to Versus XIII but I think people's criticisms are a bit overblown. It feels like some cannot fathom other factors being a problem with these games (upper management, not enough staff ect.) besides him.
Why shouldn't Tai Yasue be given due credit? He's apparently the guy handling the day to day job of putting the game together and managing the workload for the team developing the game.

You can give Nomura credit for his ideas, and contributions, but ideas mean little if you don't get the actual job done.

Why shouldn't Tai Yasue be given due credit? He's apparently the guy handling the day to day job of putting the game together and managing the workload for the team developing the game.

You can give Nomura credit for his ideas, and contributions, but ideas mean little if you don't get the actual job done.
Tai never gets credit bruh it's a shame

THE GUY

Banned
Tai never gets credit bruh it's a shame
I mean, that comment is just silly in my eyes. Kingdom Hearts is very much Nomura's idea. He's obviously playing a significant role in story and other things. But Tai Yasue is, for all intents and purposes, the guy actually developing the game and in the most significant role for that project.

He should be given the bulk of the credit as the director if Kingdom Hearts 3 is a good game. Not saying you don't acknowledge Nomura's contributions, but why would that game being good be indicative of his efforts mainly rather than Yasue's?

I mean, that comment is just silly in my eyes. Kingdom Hearts is very much Nomura's idea. He's obviously playing a significant role in story and other things. But Tai Yasue is, for all intents and purposes, the guy actually developing the game and in the most significant role for that project.

He should be given the bulk of the credit as the director if Kingdom Hearts 3 is a good game. Not saying you don't acknowledge Nomura's contributions, but why would that game being good be indicative of his efforts mainly rather than Yasue's?
There are few people I've seen ever even mentioning tai's name in relation to kh3. It won't be tai delivered it's gonna be nomura did and it's unfortunate because that's what the bulk of ppl know. They both deserve it

I'm not saying he shouldn't. I like Tai, he's been with the series since at least Re:CoM if I recall. I think he's done a terrific job with KH3 so far, and the other KH games I've enjoyed over the years.

I was saying that Nomura's detractors will put all of the credit for the success of Nomura-helmed projects on other people who are involved. I'm not trying to downplay Yasue's achivements.

There are few people I've seen ever even mentioning tai's name in relation to kh3. It won't be tai delivered it's gonna be nomura did and it's unfortunate because that's what the bulk of ppl know. They both deserve it

Most people just don't know about him. Not as many people look into the team beyond Nomura's involvement and that the team's based in Osaka. It's unfortunate but he'll be getting some praise come KH3. I can also see him eventually taking over as sole Director of the series at some point.

to be fair, its also mostly Nomura thats get all the shit and hate when it comes to the development of KH3.

but thats nothing new with Nomura Games - either he is the big Visionary Hero or the horrible director that can't finish a game.

Other important People/Roles or Square Enix as a Comapny get barely mentioned

to be fair, its also mostly Nomura thats get all the shit and hate when it comes to the development of KH3.

but thats nothing new with Nomura Games - either he is the big Visionary Hero or the horrible director that can't finish a game.

Other important People/Roles or Square Enix as a Comapny get barely mentioned
Yup I agree with this too

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Thread kinda reminds me of this:

http://ffviips3.ytmnd.com/

I think this is a definite PS5 title.

You're not confident we'll get Part 1 by 2020? Could easily be a PS4 title first still. If KH3 releases next year, there's quite possibly two more years before any new gen. Versus XIII really suffered from staff bleeding from projects, but if KH3 comes out next year that means you can still get a big Nomura project out in 5 or 5 1/2 years after announcement. Which would put Part I right on target for sometime in 2020.

They can still win PSX by showing Tifa and Cloud talking in a cutscene and a brief battle scene of them fighting together.

Yup.

Going to be interesting to see Tifa's design. Probably pretty close to Advent Children but with her longer hair back.

Koozek

You're not confident we'll get Part 1 by 2020? Could easily be a PS4 title first still. If KH3 releases next year, there's quite possibly two more years before any new gen. Versus XIII really suffered from staff bleeding from projects, but if KH3 comes out next year that means you can still get a big Nomura project out in 5 or 5 1/2 years after announcement. Which would put Part I right on target for sometime in 2020.
The shift to internal development must've easily set them back 1-2 years though.

shimon

I'm just wondering how will they do Weapon battles with this combat system? Are we gonna be able to run circles around Ruby? Swim around Emerald? Sorry for going little offtopic.

Tifa got like 5 minutes of screen time in Advent Children. About 60 seconds of that was a cool fight scene. Even Reno and Rude got more attention. She isn't going to be at PSX.

Renmyra

Tifa got like 5 minutes of screen time in Advent Children. About 60 seconds of that was a cool fight scene. Even Reno and Rude got more attention. She isn't going to be at PSX.

And the rest of the party members got even less screen time. The movie wasn't about them.

I wonder if Vincent and Yuffie will still be optional party members. That's definitely a thing they could choose to flesh out if they want to.

And the rest of the party members got even less screen time. The movie wasn't about them.

I wonder if Vincent and Yuffie will still be optional party members. That's definitely a thing they could choose to flesh out if they want to.
I can see them being added to the story instead of being optional, considering Advent Children made them canon. Surely it’d take a lot more work now to have them in or out of cutscenes then it did back then (voiced lines, reactions, blocking, camera angles with more freedom and movement). Not to mention the CG.

Dark_castle

That's the biggest mistake about AC imo. FFVII is about Cloud and friends to me. Instead, AC shifted the focus to the few silver hair assholes. One of my favorite moments in FFVII is Nanaki's story in Cosmo Canyon. I can't even remember if he was in Advent Children.

AAMARMO

Banned
Why are people so sure about that we'll even have a psx this year and that they'll show ff7r there?

It wont.

Some people also expected it to be last year even when FFXV shipped 2 weeks before the event. You're more likely get Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer at PSX than FFVII Remake.

Also, Nomura did say no updates or footage during this development transition.

I think at this point every thing is up in the air. We can't be sure anymore about the platforms it will appear, what generation, if it will be multipart or one game, the gameplay etc.

And i totally expect that Sony will drop any kind of exclusivity they have, judging from other games that were PS4 exclusives but developers didn't deliver in a certain time (Rime). But this is the last that matters now.
Why in the world would Sony do that?
FF VII is no Rime. They know the value of that game. If anything they should secure complete exclusivity and help them develop it like they did Demons Souls.

Top Bottom