• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

OOF. That's gotta REALLY hurt for Capcpom. Two things they should've done; wait until Infinity War and ride on that enormous hype train, ad give the games some visual spice for people to get hyped up. Shame, too, cause I heard the game is easily one of Capcoms more solid efforts as of late, it's just plagued with a lifeless aesthetic.

Spencer is legit only in because of combofiend. I mean, let's put a boring ass character in from a boring ass game no one played because one of the producers of the game had a hype moment at a tournament. "Dude, the bionic arm video has 300k views, he should totally be in the game"

And the thing is, you all know I'm probably absolutely correct.

Hey man don’t drag Bionic Commando

youre totally right

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Lmao

Capcom is most probably gonna “so USF2 sold much more than MVCI?! Quick port USF2 to other consoles!”

MrCarter

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Probably why they are afraid to release MHXX of Switch in the west... It could performed reasonably well compared to MHW.

Which would be a bad look for them since they decided to skip Switch with the new title.

Give it a rest. I have the console and I want it to have more games other than indies, but not everything has to be a conspiracy when something is not released on the platform.

Why is it that Capcom can make both a great and terrible game all in one?

That's exactly what MVCI feels like: a jewel surrounded in shit.

The idea of MVCI having great netcode seemed like a joke, yet it ended up having very solid online.

How could things have gotten this bad?

MrCarter

This feels so wrong given how great and complete of a package MvC:I turned out to be. It's all the progress we've wanted from Capcom as a company, marred by a few bad faces (that got fixed, but who knows that when you have a shit PR department?) and recycled assets.

Have a shit PR department, brehs. Fail to communicate what's in your title until you learn about extra modes and features in leaked copies brehs

This is embarrassing. I have no idea who the fuck is buying USFII, not then, not now.

Marketing, PR and word of mouth are absolutely huge factors in this day and age. ‘tis a shame.

Capcom deserve this. They develop a half ass game in mvci. Fans voice their concerns and wishes for the game. Capcom put their fingers in their ears and ignored them. They never learn.

A shame. The franchise will most likely be canned after this mess of a game.

Ive purchased every Vs title on release. Not this one.

This feels so wrong given how great and complete of a package MvC:I turned out to be. It's all the progress we've wanted from Capcom as a company, marred by a few bad faces (that got fixed, but who knows that when you have a shit PR department?) and recycled assets.

Have a shit PR department, brehs. Fail to communicate what's in your title until you learn about extra modes and features in leaked copies brehs

This is embarrassing. I have no idea who the fuck is buying USFII, not then, not now.
It's the game ppl wanted but without the option of the characters they did so it loses no matter what

MrCarter

1.4 mil for a new entry in a major 20+ year old series on the PS4 is definitely a failure. Hell, ARMS is at over a million too and it's a new IP on a system that's barely half a year old. Just because the bill was footed doesn't mean it wasn't a success. Maybe that mitigated the loss Capcom took, but it's sales have been underwhelming for sure

I believe SFV is at 1.7m now. So close yet far away from their bloated expectations. Will be interesting to see how well a SSFV or Arcade Edition does, also, one thing’s for sure, exclusivity on Sony has hurt sales and they need to find a way out of it.

Lmao

Capcom is most probably gonna ”so USF2 sold much more than MVCI?! Quick port USF2 to other consoles!"

It'll just be a small part of a much larger Street Fighter Collection for every platform but Nintendo Switch.

Seriously you Nintendo fanboys are getting highly irritating with your constant port begging rhetoric. I would have loved Okami on Switch but I don't care because I'm getting this game in HD on PS4 at a great price.

There was nothing in the post you quoted that called for a personal attack.

MrCarter

Okami HD on Switch would probably outsell the other versions as well.

Same for Mega Man Collection and Disney Cartoon Club.

They literally have no idea what they're doing.

Seriously you Nintendo fanboys are getting highly irritating with your constant port begging rhetoric. I would have loved Okami on Switch but I don’t care because I’m getting this game in HD on PS4 at a great price.

Kashiwaba

I believe SFV is at 1.7m now. So close yet far away from their bloated expectations. Will be interesting to see how well a SSFV or Arcade Edition does, also, one thing’s for sure, exclusivity on Sony has hurt sales and they need to find a way out of it.

I don't agree with this at all, SFV sold more than T7 on two systems compared to three, let's admit it Xbox players don't buy fighting games. Tekken 7 didn't chart on Xboxone and so is MvC I. As long as MS and Sony won't agree on crossplay, I'd prefer that fighting games skip Xbox so at least we can get crossplay (which is the one of the things which keeping SFV online community strong).

Dubz

Fighting games are too hard for casuals. The only fighting games that sell now a days are NRS games. Sad but true.

Nanashrew

Banned
Seriously you Nintendo fanboys are getting highly irritating with your constant port begging rhetoric. I would have loved Okami on Switch but I don’t care because I’m getting this game in HD on PS4 at a great price.

I feel like you haven't paid much attention to Capcom in a good while with their poor decisions, general mismanagement of their IPs and poor readings of the market at large.

Seriously you Nintendo fanboys are getting highly irritating with your constant port begging rhetoric. I would have loved Okami on Switch but I don't care because I'm getting this game in HD on PS4 at a great price.

Not once did that poster beg for any games to be ported. This thread is about a multiplat (except Switch) game being outsold by a Switch exclusive. This is a jumping-off point from which many questions and points of discussion can be raised, so it is only natural that the subject of Capcom's various ports not showing up on the platform, and what that means for them as a company, may arise. That is what that poster was talking about. That's not being a "fanboy" or "highly irritating".

Alienous

OOF. That's gotta REALLY hurt for Capcpom. Two things they should've done; wait until Infinity War and ride on that enormous hype train, ad give the games some visual spice for people to get hyped up. Shame, too, cause I heard the game is easily one of Capcoms more solid efforts as of late, it's just plagued with a lifeless aesthetic.

Then when would 'Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite' release?

King_Moc

Banned

You don't think that them deciding to release a Zelda style game on every console but Switch is relevant in this thread? I can assure you it is. Their decision making is baffling.

casiopao

Why is it that Capcom can make both a great and terrible game all in one?

That's exactly what MVCI feels like: a jewel surrounded in shit.

The idea of MVCI having great netcode seemed like a joke, yet it ended up having very solid online.

How could things have gotten this bad?

Thats Capcom for ya.

They make some good decision then take thousand step backwards and destroy any single good will they gather lol.

jett

D-Member
Spencer is legit only in because of combofiend. I mean, let's put a boring ass character in from a boring ass game no one played because one of the producers of the game had a hype moment at a tournament. "Dude, the bionic arm video has 300k views, he should totally be in the game"

And the thing is, you all know I'm probably absolutely correct.

A lot of this roster is what it is because this is a cheapo game and they took advantage of the fact that they could reuse animations and rigs from MvC3. Marvel fuckery aside. I doubt Spencer is here just because it's Combofiend's fave.

Fighting games are too hard for casuals. The only fighting games that sell now a days are NRS games. Sad but true.

Thats what I was saying, NRS games are very popular with the hardcore but are extremely welcoming to casuals and noobs(both Injustice at the very least).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Give it a rest. I have the console and I want it to have more games other than indies, but not everything has to be a conspiracy when something is not released on the platform.
It's not a conspiracy at all... Their focus is MHW and releasing MHXX shortly before MHW would divide ressources and could potentially result in less sales for MHW since some fans already hot their fix.

Unless you can come up with a better reason why they wouldn't release a more or less already translated game on one of the best selling systems right now.

MvCI was never on the cards for Switch, so I don't think anyone expected it.

VeeP

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Given that the PS4 version charted and the XB1 version didn't? And that SFV outsold the game regardless?

��

Capcom should just drop both. Focus on Switch only. SF2U had a lower budget, was a port of a super old game, and still sold well on a lower player base.

Why would you give a shit about two service models battling it out? Anyway...

IMO, MVC:i is amazing. Yea, the presentation could have been better but again, as long as it functional who gives a shit?

Damn shame, Capcom has the best 2 fighters out and they just couldn't pull it all together.

Functional is the name of the game with MVCI. Excellent gameplay but dogshit in all other aspects. The UI, CSS, menus all matter in games, if only to show that the game has a style and to show that the people who made it care about the product.

MVCI's presentation is just soulless, it feels like its made by people who don't give a fuck about anything but the gameplay - something that might work for a pro FGCer but not for the general public. I would still buy the game if Magneto was in it but I know Magneto is going to look ugly as shit in this game.

fortunato

Banned

What some people don't understand is the fact that, at the moment, Capcom lacks a vision on Switch. It's not about conspiracy or hysteria.

It's perfectly understandable if software houses are skeptical of Switch, as it came after Wii U, and it's a new concept in gaming. Henceforth, it's perfectly reasonable they don't have big guns ready during the first year. But if you look closely, you can see that all major companies had something relatively promising on/for the platform... Even those companies that haven't had a close relationship with Nintendo in years, if any at all.

You have Konami, with an exclusive Bomberman game. You have Square Enix, with full Dragon Quest support and an exclusive jRPG. You have Koei Tecmo, which is porting all of their Musou and Gust games. You have Nippon Ichi, which put its main product on Switch during the launch period. You have Namco Bandai, which promised at least two major IPs coming on Switch. You have Sega with Sonic and Atlus games. Some of them clearly stated that Switch will be a viable platform in the future... Perhaps not getting all of their games, but a sizeable and appropriate support.

Capcom, on the other hand, is nowhere to be seen. Everything they've done on Switch is rushed and unattractive. Easy and low risk stuffs are DOA. They're still evaluating how to support the platform. When you have companies like Koei Tecmo and Square Enix that adapted quickly to take into account Switch huge success, Capcom's behavior scream incompetence.

Look, it's not only Switch... Capcom is making bad business decisions on all platforms (look at the sales of MvC:I). However, on Switch they're even getting wrong their strategy of releasing legacy games, like Okami and Mega Man: low risk, huge ROI. The thing that stands out the most is the fact that Capcom benefitted a lot from Nintendo platforms in the past. You can say that the Monster Hunter franchise on 3DS brought lots of revenues, and didn't disappoint; even small stuffs such as Ace Attorney and previous collections performed relatively well on 3DS. Among all of the Japanese third parties, Capcom should have been the one with the less skeptical approach.

Yes, Capcom is definitely slow to react compared with other publishers. I don't think anyone could argue against that.

Like you mention, it's understandable that publishers were sceptical in the run-up to launch, when Switch was an unknown quantity, and no one really knew if there'd be demand for a new type of console. Fast forward to today and there still aren't signs that Capcom has incorporated Switch into their plans.

A quick Resi Revelations 1 and 2 port being a new Capcom Test(TM) isn't going to fill people with confidence, compared with, say, Bethesda, that managed to greenlight two FPS games before even selling their first major game.

Still: At least Capcom has delivered something. Still nothing from Spike Chunsoft or Codemasters.

Yes, Capcom is definitely slow to react compared with other publishers. I don't think anyone could argue against that.

Like you mention, it's understandable that publishers were sceptical in the run-up to launch, when Switch was an unknown quantity, and no one really knew if there'd be demand for a new type of console. Fast forward to today and there still aren't signs that Capcom has incorporated Switch into their plans.

A quick Resi Revelations 1 and 2 port being a new Capcom Test(TM) isn't going to fill people with confidence, compared with, say, Bethesda, that managed to greenlight two FPS games before even selling their first major game.

Still: At least Capcom has delivered something. Still nothing from Spike Chunsoft or Codemasters.
TBH Capcom test is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen from a publisher

antonz

Capcom bet it all on Switch being a complete failure and opted to not devote any development resources to it.

Now Capcom has a problem where development resources do not just crop up overnight and they have invested what they have in ignoring the Switch. Its understandable to be skeptical and plan accordingly but they went to the complete extreme and cut it out entirely and now its going to bite them in the ass for awhile until they can get enough free development resources to embrace the Switch.

I honestly do not expect Capcom to turn it around until 2019 the earliest which depending on how the rest of their lineup does between now and then could be catastrophic for Capcom

Pretty sure most of their recent games have good gameplay behind them. That's not really the problem anyone has I don't think. It's everything else.

Capcom bet it all on Switch being a complete failure and opted to not devote any development resources to it.

Now Capcom has a problem where development resources do not just crop up overnight and they have invested what they have in ignoring the Switch. Its understandable to be skeptical and plan accordingly but they went to the complete extreme and cut it out entirely and now its going to bite them in the ass for awhile until they can get enough free development resources to embrace the Switch.

I honestly do not expect Capcom to turn it around until 2019 the earliest which depending on how the rest of their lineup does between now and then could be catastrophic for Capcom
I understand about those ps2 remaster games,but even a few nes roms,that's just pure incompetent

Gren

Eh, nothing lasts forever. If Caps were to go under tomorrow, oh well; they definitely brought it upon themselves after years of chasing the mobile market & ignoring their existing fanbases, all for naught. Least we still got all the old great games.

Top Bottom