• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

jdstorm

Banned
Do you have proof of that ? I'd be happy to see if you did, really.
Because from what I read on japanese website, it's even more trolling than on western forums.
Too anime, PS2-remaster-like, and so on... I had trouble to find more positive comments than the opposite.
Not that I looked everywhere but still...
I also think it'll be the best selling one, but I wonder at which degree.

On a side note, I'm expecting new tweets tomorrow. If there is something I'll try to update at noon (West Europe time)

I don't have any proof, but i think its likely that the new art style will capture much of the audience that bought braverly defult. That was around 1M according to Wikipedia. This also tracks with a personal theory that the same level of anticipation that led to Nier:Automata selling 1M copies.

The Xenoblade brand has had about 5 years to grow. It has a strong niche following (Xenoblade Chronicles was 13th in GAFs games of Gen 7 list) and X drew a lot of publicity for being controversial (the boob slider issue*) which helped brand recognition. While it was polarizing X was also loved by many and that number is only going to grow now that guides are starting to exist that make experiencing X much more manageable.

So by now many will have heard of Xenoblade Chronicles and will want to try it. If it is good it will sell well.

*Its such a shame that this controversy stopped the wider audience realising how well written X actually was.

Waji

Still, in portable mode, it's certainly going to be absoluely gorgeous.
Nice Native Xenoblade on the go. It's probably going to be the biggest RPG I played on a handheld more or less.

I don't have any proof, but i think its likely that the new art style will capture much of the audience that bought braverly defult. That was around 1M according to Wikipedia. This also tracks with a personal theory that the same level of anticipation that led to Nier:Automata selling 1M copies.

The Xenoblade brand has had about 5 years to grow. It has a strong niche following (Xenoblade Chronicles was 13th in GAFs games of Gen 7 list) and X drew a lot of publicity for being controversial (the boob slider issue*) which helped brand recognition. While it was polarizing X was also loved by many and that number is only going to grow now that guides are starting to exist that make experiencing X much more manageable.

So by now many will have heard of Xenoblade Chronicles and will want to try it. If it is good it will sell well.

*Its such a shame that this controversy stopped the wider audience realising how well written X actually was.
Yes but all of this is touching western territories more than Japan.
I don't see the game reach a million in Japan. In the world yes easily.

Hmm I thought I made a post. I guess it didn't register.

I was saying as far as sales go this will probably be the best selling Xenoblade game ever because the Switch is also a handheld.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's actually not bad in X, but the game makes the mistake of burying the easiest method of gaining affinity in the console that you normally use to browse and accept online quests, with only a brief message after completing the story to let you know of the support missions' existence. Of course, burying essential information is the name of X's game nine times out of ten.
What is that if I may ask to raise affinity?

aravuus

Eh, not sure it's going to be a much of a looker in handheld mode either, but it looks acceptable to me, aside from some.. Obvious stuff we've been going over for a while now. All I want is a massive sense of scale, which they seemed to have nailed, and nicely directed cut scenes.

aravuus

Since this probably works as a general info thread, have they said anything about side quests in this one? Replaying XB and man, there's just so much shit. I kinda recall XBX being a bit better about this - every or at least most of the side quests having actual plots and such.

Dolphin's fast forward toggle is a real lifesaver with these infinite fetch quests.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm rewatching the Treehouse stream and I guess I'd glossed over how explicitly they address the graphics being polished from now to release. I remembered them being mentioned, but hadn't noticed how they went out of their way to talk about that. Maybe there will be a very significant upgrade and we'll be comparing both looks after it releases surprised at how much they managed to improve.

Or maybe the guy who was demoing the game had recently seen a more recent build, and it looked so much better to him the he felt the need to note how the graphics were going to improve in the final release? Either way I do think that's a very positive sign.

Since this probably works as a general info thread, have they said anything about side quests in this one? Replaying XB and man, there's just so much shit. I kinda recall XBX being a bit better about this - every or at least most of the side quests having actual plots and such.

Dolphin's fast forward toggle is a real lifesaver with these infinite fetch quests.
I believe we haven't heard anything about that. I remember XC's quests being a pain to complete but the stories associated with them were usually worth seeing, so I had a sort of a love-hate relationship with that aspect of the game. I do hope they improve upon the actual gameplay involved in them considerably.

Derkon

You mean the MMO-like fetch/kill quests? If anything XBX was worse about that. They haven't really talked about sidequests in X2 yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You mean the MMO-like fetch/kill quests? If anything XBX was worse about that.

I never did on purpose the generic fetch-kill quests. I still don't understand how many people felt the need to do those.

The side story quests on the other side were the secret best part about the game. So nicely written and set up a lot of them.

The sidequest like the Wastewater Plant Mission in XCX was so good! Those types of missions I loved in XCX. Wayyy better than missions in XC. The fetch quests I did a good amount of them, but not all of them. The story sidequest missions are the best though and I hope we get a good dose of those in XC2.

Rodin

Obviously "PS2 remaster" is being hyperbolic, but I do think there's tons of space for graphical improvement from what we saw in the treehouse stream. Compare the foliage to BotW's, for example. I was watching my gf play that this weekend and I was blown away at how good it looked and I couldn't help but remember I wasn't terribly impressed with the graphical fidelity we saw in the stream.

I'm expecting some of the "polish" they mentioned was missing from the game during the stream to account for some of the textures and pop-in we saw, but still, I see why people would be a bit disappointed about how low-res it looks for now, I'd definitely grant it's one of its weak points atm, even if I do like the artstyle they're going for.
You mentioned the two main issues here: the first is that the stream quality was terrible, the footage was compressed as hell, so i don't think that what we've seen was that representative even of what they showed live (for example, the trailer on the Switch screen looked much better than on youtube). The second one is that by their own admission the game still needs a lot of polish, which they'll do until the game comes out.

About Zelda, it does look clearly much better, but keep in mind that both games were born on Wii U, and Zelda had a much bigger team/budget behind it. Takahashi said that development for the game started in 2014-15, and there were no Switch dev kits around that time, which means that we could see more improvements than usual in the last few months if they really focus on taking advantage of the Switch hardware to improve stuff like pop in, some of the textures, add some post processing, hopefully bumping the resolution to 1080p docked (like Splat2), etc. This also falls in line with the awful showing at E3 2015 and the lack of meaningful first party support for Wii U since then: many of the games in development were supposed to be moved to NX eventually, so there was no point in showing them on Wii U.

No flood of awesome gifs. Hopefully is just because they made a rather poor selection of what to show in the Treehouse.

Edit: just to clarify ... remaster of PS2 is obviously hyperbole.
I'm pretty sure that's the reason, you may not like the characters but the world design is in line with the predecessors. If you look at those X hype gifs, they were mostly from the exploration trailers, with the characters running around (or flying with the skells) in gorgeous landscapes with an impressive sense of scale. We didn't get that with XB2, except for a small section of the latest trailer, which I thought was pretty great (although not as good as what they've shown about X in the aforementioned trailers, but that could be because they showed very little of this game compared even to the E3 2013 trailer of X). I'd also say that the direction of the cutscenes seems better in XB2 compared to X if the part where Rex and Pyra battle that guy is indicative (incidentally, we have an hype gif of that moment and another one from the exploration bit of the trailer).

So hopefully they'll do an exploration trailer for this episode as well, as i have little doubts that the landscapes will be amazing here too. The setting of the game (people living on giant, constantly moving titans) should also help if they played their cards well, but judging from their past games i think there's no reason to worry about this.

Is they're not foreigners who know how to type in japanese, then yes : P.
I hope it's just a tiny amount of ridiculous fanatics or another company.
Haha yeah, i guess that's likely.
Eh, not sure it's going to be a much of a looker in handheld mode either, but it looks acceptable to me, aside from some.. Obvious stuff we've been going over for a while now. All I want is a massive sense of scale, which they seemed to have nailed, and nicely directed cut scenes.
If you have a Switch you can get a sneak peek of how it looks portable, they uploaded the trailer in the news section. Like i said, it looks much better there.

You mean the MMO-like fetch/kill quests? If anything XBX was worse about that. They haven't really talked about sidequests in X2 yet.
XCX actual sidequests and the affinity quests were fantastic and much better than the main quest or their counterparts in the first game. Fetch quests were unnecessary, unless you wanted to farm stuff.

What differentiates the quest system between the XBC and XCX was that in XCX, most of the generic fetch quests were found in the Mission Control Board, and they were completely optional; the good ones came from named NPCs. However, in XBC, most of the good quests were locked behind generic fetch quests from both unnamed and named NPCs, considering you had to gain town affinity to get access to them. I'd say XCX is better in this regard.

aravuus

If you have a Switch you can get a sneak peek of how it looks portable, they uploaded the trailer in the news section. Like i said, it looks much better there.

Oh yeah, I was going to do this

What differentiates the quest system between the XBC and XCX was that in XCX, most of the generic fetch quests were found in the Mission Control Board, and they were completely optional; the good ones came from named NPCs. However, in XBC, most of the good quests were locked behind generic fetch quests from both unnamed and named NPCs, considering you had to gain town affinity to get access to them. I'd say XCX is better in this regard.

Yeah, I remember it going something like this. Maybe X had more zero-story fetch quests, so in that sense it was worse, but they were 100% optional unlike in the original, where I'm doing all this mundane stuff just to get to the fun little side story quests. And X's side stories were good for the most part, I admit none of the stuff in Xenoblade has been particularly interesting so far. I don't really care for this game's story, so I guess I'll see how far the side quests and gameplay can carry me. Doubt I'll finish it, at least not soon.

Derkon

Ahh that's right, forgot about the first game locking all that stuff behind the boring grind quests.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm pretty sure that's the reason, you may not like the characters but the world design is in line with the predecessors. If you look at those X hype gifs, they were mostly from the exploration trailers, with the characters running around (or flying with the skells) in gorgeous landscapes with an impressive sense of scale. We didn't get that with XB2, except for a small section of the latest trailer, which I thought was pretty great (although not as good as what they've shown about X in the aforementioned trailers, but that could be because they showed very little of this game compared even to the E3 2013 trailer of X). I'd also say that the direction of the cutscenes seems better in XB2 compared to X if the part where Rex and Pyra battle that guy is indicative (incidentally, we have an hype gif of that moment and another one from the exploration bit of the trailer).

So hopefully they'll do an exploration trailer for this episode as well, as i have little doubts that the landscapes will be amazing here too. The setting of the game (people living on giant, constantly moving titans) should also help if they played their cards well, but judging from their past games i think there's no reason to worry about this.

That and hopefully the possibility to cover the faces of all your party and blades could bring me back on board. Depending on also what that coming of age story is actually about.

Waji

So it IS possible to have a nice normal conversation about this game. What a nice change of pace. Sometimes it feels like people only know how to complain.

I was hoping the treehouse guy talked to a NPC to see a quest but he didn't unfortunately.
Anyway I'll be sure to check the tweets and website often to see if they explain any new mechanics.

vareon

So it IS possible to have a nice normal conversation about this game. What a nice change of pace. Sometimes it feels like people only know how to complain.

I was hoping the treehouse guy talked to a NPC to see a quest but he didn't unfortunately.
Anyway I'll be sure to check the tweets and website often to see if they explain any new mechanics.

Yeah this is the only Xenoblade thread I'm going to touch lol.

I suppose the game still let you change your appearance based on equipment? I hope transmog is in, or at least more "normal" looking armor ratio to the ridiculous looking ones. Watching XBC's great cutscenes while Shulk is wearing something ridiculous is... weird.

Rodin

Was it that the clouds were moving in the demo or is shadow distance like 10m ?

Also some rough grass poppin.

Exited nonetheless
They definitely added shadows from the clouds. Pop in was kinda atrocious but hopefully they'll manage to improve it.

Fireblend

Banned
Was it that the clouds were moving in the demo or is shadow distance like 10m ?

Also some rough grass poppin.

Exited nonetheless

They mentioned the clouds wouldn't only move side to side but also mimic the tides somehow and that this movement could reveal certain areas or paths depending on what time of day you were at. At least that's how I understood it. Here's the stream with a timestamp for the comment: https://youtu.be/tAdGaknQA5g?t=23m59s

They mentioned the clouds wouldn't only move side to side but also mimic the tides somehow and that this movement could reveal certain areas or paths depending on what time of day you were at. At least that's how I understood it. Here's the stream with a timestamp for the comment: https://youtu.be/tAdGaknQA5g?t=23m59s

That sounds really cool! I was a little sad that the moons, stars, and the blood red milky way in the night sky didn't move at all in XCX. Kinda weird for a scifi game to not consider that, but it may have been a graphics engine limitation.

A big beautiful milky way in the sky was also sorely lacking from Zelda BotW. (which we presume uses the same engine)

Vashzaron

As much as I would hope otherwise I don't think this game is going to let you change equipment (that visually changes your character) unlike the previous two games.

As to why, first off if Blades are being treated like Pokemon or something that are going to be a bunch of them out there for you to get and use I fully expect all the workload that would of been used for Armor/Weapons would go to that considering Blades can be thought as all in one equipment, they give you stats, most importantly for this argument being defense when none so far can be seen on your own char. They also have a physical weapon model in your hand as well as a character model, plus they are their own character with animation and voice(?)

If you also look at Rex you can see how he has this creature living in his helmet at all times, sometimes peaking at in gameplay and shows up in cutscenes.
As well as Rex using his arm anchor in battle through a Pyra art. I wouldn't expect that in a system that would allow you to change (or more of a problem) unequip your characters.

There are also giant 2D portraits in menus now which previous Xenoblade games avoided and finally if it existed I'm sure they would of shown it off at the treehouse segment like they did for X.

The only potential counterpoints I can think of right now is that both previous Xenoblade games have had them and that there is this ring icon in the menu, but that only makes me think of accessories.

fFU9ex8.jpg
iCFImFd.jpg

As much as I would hope otherwise I don't think this game is going to let you change equipment (that visually changes your character) unlike the previous two games.

As to why, first off if Blades are being treated like Pokemon or something that are going to be a bunch of them out there for you to get and use I fully expect all the workload that would of been used for Armor/Weapons would go to that considering Blades can be thought as all in one equipment, they give you stats, most importantly for this argument being defense when none so far can be seen on your own char. They also have a physical weapon model in your hand as well as a character model, plus they are their own character with animation and voice(?)

If you also look at Rex you can see how he has this creature living in his helmet at all times, sometimes peaking at in gameplay and shows up in cutscenes as well as him using his arm anchor in battle through a Pyra art. I wouldn't expect that in a system that would allow you to change (or more of a problem) unequip your characters.

There are also giant 2D portraits in menus now which previous Xenoblade games avoided and finally if it existed I'm sure they would of shown it off at the treehouse segment like they did for X.

The only potential counterpoints I can think of right now is that both previous Xenoblade games have had them and that there is this ring icon in the menu, but that only makes me think of accessories.

While Blades do provide defensive stats, there are still a ton of Driver-specific stats that Blades do not seem to touch. Additional equipment for players to manipulate this is practically guaranteed, though, like you mentioned, this might come down to accessories instead. I don't think it completely dismisses armor though.

Character-specific stuff like Rex's helmet and arm anchor can just be overridden by having those be included in all his armor sets. Not necessarily the exact same helmet, but as long as he has something hanging back for the creature to hang around in, or for his arm anchor to be placed on, it could work.

As for 2D portraits, we do see that, at least in the Blade creation menu, the game does use the models fully. Customization could just be hidden in another layer down the menu.

I'm not dismissing your points completely, but I don't think they hint towards customization being removed that strongly.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I think on one hand having the character portraits be drawn like that on the menus seems pretty damning but the fact that it was in the previous two games plus that we've really only scratched the surface of the game makes it hard to see it as a definitive thing that there won't be any sort of visual character customization - if it's not through equipment then there might be some sort of costume selection like in Persona, or stuff like that. It's just hard to tell at this point.

Waji

I'm going to shock a lot of people by I'd actually be glad if they created this outfit in relation to the story.
I don't have any problem with Rex's work clothes and I love this little mouse-like creature in the helmet.
Makes me think about Jack from the first Wild Arms.
As much as I can roughly understand the "pants" part, I absolutely can't when it comes to the helmet.
But anyway I don't really want another hundredth infertile debate.

And if they remove the costume changes to work better on the rest of the game, I have no problem with that.
But if there is, then good.

When did they reference Pokemon?
I'm sorry I absolutely don't remember where I saw that so let's assume nobody said anything like that for now.

While Blades do provide defensive stats, there are still a ton of Driver-specific stats that Blades do not seem to touch. Additional equipment for players to manipulate this is practically guaranteed, though, like you mentioned, this might come down to accessories instead. I don't think it completely dismisses armor though.

Character-specific stuff like Rex's helmet and arm anchor can just be overridden by having those be included in all his armor sets. Not necessarily the exact same helmet, but as long as he has something hanging back for the creature to hang around in, or for his arm anchor to be placed on, it could work.

As for 2D portraits, we do see that, at least in the Blade creation menu, the game does use the models fully. Customization could just be hidden in another layer down the menu.

I'm not dismissing your points completely, but I don't think they hint towards customization being removed that strongly.
I don't think the game needs armors especially to provide good customisation.
There are obviously a lot of other menus for that, whether it's in the character or Blade menu.

Vashzaron

Yeah I could see Rex's helmet + arm anchor having different armor equivalents sure, but kinda awkward picturing something if you went unequipped or even swimwear(?)

By the 2D portraits what I mean to say is they might of decided to go wild with it this time around and in your face about it since potentially they don't have to worry about characters looking different anymore. Unlike before where they kept it neck up or just using 3D models.

By the way unrelated but Tora doesn't show up in the gacha crystal summon area. I hope he isn't a temp party member or gimped in some way.

Fireblend

Banned
No way, I love watching through all the XC endgame cutscenes with silly hippy-looking Shulk

I recently lent my copy to a friend and told him the secret to enjoying the game was listening to the soundtrack and dressing all of the characters in the weirdest, silliest ways possible.

Waji

Yeah I could see Rex's helmet + arm anchor having different armor equivalents sure, but kinda awkward picturing something if you went unequipped or even swimwear(?)

By the 2D portraits what I mean to say is they might of decided to go wild with it this time around and in your face about it since potentially they don't have to worry about characters looking different anymore. Unlike before where they kept it neck up or just using 3D models.

By the way unrelated but Tora doesn't show up in the gacha crystal summon area. I hope he isn't a temp party member or gimped in some way.
I also think there won't be any customisation. It just feels that way.
But we're talking about Monolithsoft, so anything they remove would means they're adding something else.
I just hope they had good ideas overall, espcially for side quests and balance. But what's needed the most is sound options.

About Tora, I noticed that too but in te trailer you can clearly see him 3 times in at least 2 different environement.
So I'd say he may just not be final at this specific moment of the game (like he just joined to help but isn't "officialy" a party member yet.

Vashzaron

I also think there won't be any customisation. It just feels that way.
But we're talking about Monolithsoft, so anything they remove would means they're adding something else.
I just hope they had good ideas overall, espcially for side quests and balance. But what's needed the most is sound options.

About Tora, I noticed that too but in te trailer you can clearly see him 3 times in at least 2 different environement.
So I'd say he may just not be final at this specific moment of the game (like he just joined to help but isn't "officialy" a party member yet.

On Tora I was thinking that also might be it, like they just added him to the party but the flags weren't set for him officially being in so no crystals.
Rex also has the oddity of in the pause menu and gameplay not having the "X" on his chest that he has on his official art (that he gets from getting Pyra?) so possible similar situation.
Edit: He actually doesn't have this in the reveal trailer either while wielding her, wonder if oversight or not.

I like to think there could even be unique possibilities for swimwear, like a hoodie or something. But I can't discount that it's all wild speculation on my part.

And I do agree that 2D are really all over the place in the menu now. But that could also be because they didn't want 3D character portraits to clash with the 2D portraits of the Blades. Though they could've also done full 3D for every Blade in the menu as well.

Tora-related, he also doesn't appear as a fugitive on the wanted poster in town. Though that could just mean he is harboring them and hasn't actually done anything wrong, but could also hint that he's not permanently going to join their band since he's not fully on the run with them. Which is extremely unfortunate if that ends up being the case, I've been waiting for another Riki after having to endure Tatsu.

Waji

I like to think there could even be unique possibilities for swimwear, like a hoodie or something. But I can't discount that it's all wild speculation on my part.

And I do agree that 2D are really all over the place in the menu now. But that could also be because they didn't want 3D character portraits to clash with the 2D portraits of the Blades. Though they could've also done full 3D for every Blade in the menu as well.

Tora-related, he also doesn't appear as a fugitive on the wanted poster in town. Though that could just mean he is harboring them and hasn't actually done anything wrong, but could also hint that he's not permanently going to join their band since he's not fully on the run with them. Which is extremely unfortunate if that ends up being the case, I've been waiting for another Riki after having to endure Tatsu.
Is there a problem with 2D artworks ? I like that a lot in RPG. Most of the time it's better than the 3D
2D arts was actually something I missed a lot playing X.

For Tora, as I said, we can see him in the team several times in the trailer so he's likely to be a final party member. He might just not be yet at the very beginning.
It could also be gameplay reasons. Maybe he just can't equip this crystal whatever.
The only thing I'm sure is that it doesn't mean he's leaving the party.
I'm 100% positive we're getting a Nopon in the team, whoever it is.

On Tora I was thinking that also might be it, like they just added him to the party but the flags weren't set for him officially being in so no crystals.
Rex also has the oddity of in the pause menu and gameplay not having the "X" on his chest that he has on his official art (that he gets from getting Pyra?) so possible similar situation.
Edit: He actually doesn't have this in the reveal trailer either while wielding her, wonder if oversight or not.
Interesting, I never really noticed the X mark.
Then again I'm focusing more on gameplay than story I guess, since I prefer to learn most of it while playing. That may be the reason why.

Fireblend

Banned
It's really silly that there isn't an English version of this, given the worldwide release.
Yeah, most likely the twitter is more of an afterthought by Monolith and they don't really see it as necessary to spend resources in translating their updates into English :p Nintendo should though. I absolutely expect a translated version of the website to show up eventually.

Also those are some really good screenshots. I only wish we had a better resolution version.

Is there a problem with 2D artworks ? I like that a lot in RPG. Most of the time it's better than the 3D
2D arts was actually something I missed a lot playing X.

No problem, I was just following the discussion of how they're used in the menu compared to previous games. I'm quite fond of the art in this game, so it doesn't really matter to me whether the menu goes with 2D or 3D.

Hey random question: Does anyone have pictures of all the shown party members so far? I only know about Rex. I heard others were used on treehouse but I don't want to watch all the footage.

Fireblend

Banned

The different drawing styles here (clean for Rex and a bit of a rougher, draft-like look for Kirim) makes me wonder if that menu design is finalized or if maybe some of the character art is a work in progress. Could also be a design decision to make the difference between "story-relevant" characters and "gacha blades" more explicit. What do you guys think?

Vashzaron

The different drawing styles here (clean for Rex and a bit of a rougher, draft-like look for Kirim) makes me wonder if that menu design is finalized or if maybe some of the character art is a work in progress. Could also be a design decision to make the difference between "story-relevant" characters and "gacha blades" more explicit. What do you guys think?

You could call it the bolded but to me that just honestly looks like a lower amount of effort put into it having that distinction as a byproduct.
I mean from what we can see every character will get at least 20 ( more if you can replace / delete?) different non-story Blades.

TheMoon

maybe they threw in a concept art version of that one and there wasn't a final one ready yet. seems a bit late in the game for rough stuff like this but who knows.

Top Bottom