• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story showing up on EU Switch eShop with a Sept. 28 release date

Ah, brilliant. Not been hyped for a golf game since, well, ever, but this seems like it'll deliver. But there's been a lot of hype on GAF about this game, so the rest is up to the developers to deliver. And with that (and the arrival of multiplayer), I'm going with this OT pun:

Golf Story |OT| Putt Up or Shut Up

0DmrW.gif

I'm so hyped for this game. I loved Everybody's Golf on Vita and Powerstar Golf on Xbox One (I would love to see sequel of this game :( ).
Probably I should wait for reviews, but I don't know if I can manage...

Said it before, but I’m still a little put off by this flexible release date thing. I’m going to buy this game when it drops, but I wish they would have just set a valid date and then market for that date

Regardless, I’m amped to play this and SDV in the coming weeks! Those and Odyssey will be on my switch for the rest of the year

Xater

I am glad it's still coming this month, but man has communication been bad around this title.

So now I we can go back to "What's up with Pocket Rumble?" mode.

I'll buy this day one, what I saw sold me already and I LOVE Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for the GBC and GBA! :D Honestly the only golf game I could possibly be more exited about would be a new PangYa game with that formula.

Funny anecdote: Just yesterday I was walking over a parking lot where I first played Mario Golf GBC as a kid in a car and it kind of made me all nostalgic for it so that announcement and release comes perfect.

I'm a bit confused by this as I feel like it's been off my radar. What's the reason for excitement here? (Beyond a golf game of course.)

VeeP

Holy shit, I just realized the splash art has some Halloween artwork. I'm a sucker for Halloween art/games. Gimme. Gimme gimme gimme.

Hasney

I'm a bit confused by this as I feel like it's been off my radar. What's the reason for excitement here? (Beyond a golf game of course.)

It's an RPG like Mario Golf GBC and GBA, but taking it to another level where golf can be used to sort other issues out. You're trying to become a pro and open your own course. There's even lawn mowing.

Play the GameBoy Color or GameBoy Advance Mario Golf game and you will understand, they are golf games with a RPG interwoven and they play amazing. This game promises more of the same.

It's an RPG like Mario Golf GBC and GBA, but taking it to another level where golf can be used to sort other issues out. You're trying to become a pro and open your own course. There's even lawn mowing.

Huh. Sounds interesting I suppose; varied if nothing else. I'll take folk's word for it! Not sure I'm exactly sold, but it could be fun? I don't have Mario Gold GBA/GBC nostalgia.

daxy

Does this game even have simulated golf as a gameplay mechanic? In all the promo content there's only one image where you appear to actually be playing golf. The rest of what was shown appears automated as a part of the story.

Hasney

Does this game even have simulated golf as a gameplay mechanic? In all the promo content there's only one image where you appear to actually be playing golf. The rest of what was shown appears automated as a part of the story.

Yes. It even has standard golf modes away from the story mode if you want to play one of 8 courses.

Fireblend

Banned
Does this game even have golf as a gameplay mechanics? In all the promo content there's only one image where you appear to actually be playing golf. The rest of what was shown appears automated as a part of the story.

I think it does but I agree that we don't know the full extent of the mechanics. However, people who've played it have said it feels like Mario Golf on GBC, and on several pieces of footage we've seen the same power/accuracy bar as in the Mario Golf/Hot Shots Golf games, so we know there's at least that.

I'm really curious about what first impressions/reviews are going to be like.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
When I asked the dev about getting access to the game recently, they suggested September was still in the cards -- seemed like it was going to be a nail biter, though.

-GJ-

From the GameInformer article:

“We call it a golf drama,” says Golf Story designer Andrew Newey. “It combines the fun and excitement that everybody associates with golf with a serious story that plays out over eight different courses.” Each of the environments is more than just greens and fairways, featuring distinct towns, characters, and hidden secrets. “One of the main features is the ability to drop the ball at any time and hit it,” Newey says. “The towns turn into a sort of golfing wonderland, with various practice greens and challenges crossing over each other and secrets being hidden near and far. But you will also get to play traditional games of golf on full courses and compete in tournaments.”

Your golfer is on a quest to go pro, and he needs to level up and improve both his stats and his equipment along the way. In this case his equipment is his golf clubs; different clubs offer distinct advantages and disadvantages. “Blades will make your distances more consistent but are also more punishing of inaccurate hits,” Newey says. “And then there are clubs such as the digging wedge, which can be used to dig up all manner of things from treasures to old golf clubs.”

More at the link.

JonnyKong

Holy shit, I just realized the splash art has some Halloween artwork. I'm a sucker for Halloween art/games. Gimme. Gimme gimme gimme.

In the first reveal trailer, there's a very quick glance at a halloween type course with ghosts floating in the air.

Fireblend

Banned
What's the difference between Everybody's Golf and Golf Story?

Everybody's Golf is a conspiracy by the commie intelligentsia, who wish to dirty our beautiful sport for the elite with mundane peasants. It's right there in the name!

Golf Story though, that's for the real patriotic, elite connoisseurs.

What kind of question is that. They're 2 different games.

MrPanic

My body is so ready for this. Still not a single preview or review or even a bit of raw gameplay in sight though, I'm really not a fan of buying a game blind even if this looks like everything I've asked for.

What's the difference between Everybody's Golf and Golf Story?

everything, this seems to be an RPG

I purchased and tried Everybody's. Golf for the first time last week only played 9 holes
I just hated it (yeah I sucked at it) :( but that game has a long history so it has a lot of fans I am sure.

I am hoping to give this game a try

mas8705

Hopefully this means that we'll get the game soon too. I admit that this had caught my eye and would like to get my golf fix.

Ravelle

Everybody's Golf is a conspiracy by the commie intelligentsia, who wish to dirty our beautiful sport for the elite with mundane peasants. It's right there in the name!

Golf Story though, that's for the real patriotic, elite connoisseurs.

What kind of question is that. They're 2 different games.

I meant, what sets them apart? I've never heard of Golf Story and was curious what Golf Story has to offer in comparison to Everybody's Golf.

Hasney

I meant, what sets them apart? I've never heard of Golf Story and was curious what Golf Story has to offer in comparison to Everybody's Golf.

Everybody's golf is just a golf game and a very good one. This one is an RPG where life's problems are solved by golf and has a full golf (and mini golf) game in there too.

I love Mario Golf and HSG, but this game hasn't really piqued my interest much yet. I think I need more gameplay footage and previews before I get really excited.

I'm really interested in it ,but I need reviews and GAF impressions first. Everything about the game looks great, but we know almost nothing about the developer.

Communication certainly isn't their strong suit but the game fills a serious niche that I've been craving since the last Mario Golf RPG. I can tell you the studio has not sent out review copies so we may all be going in blind on release day. I'll post my impressions as I play.

Top Bottom