• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

HoosTrax

Evoland

637x358.resizedimage

I wonder how short it ends up being.
I saw that a few days ago and loved the look immediately.

- Gameboy
- DS (retro style)
- DS (Animal Crossing style)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anybody else think already-completed games, especially already-available games, should get priority in the Greenlight process?

I already pitched my idea.

Every month:
- Greenlight the Top 10
- Greenlight anything in the Top 50/100 that is already released
- Mandate the intended release date field to be filled out, anything not coming out in the next 12 months must go in concepts
- Do 5-10 "Editor's Choice" selections a month, and if Valve doesn't want to put the man-hours in, make it rotating between prominent independent developers and critics (writers from RPS, PCGamer, Terry Cavagnagh, Jonathan Blow, The World of Goo Kyles, Cromulent_Word, the Humble guys, etc.)
- Have an editorial veto in case something truly disasterous appears to fall under these categories.
- Give users rewards for voting on Greenlight; two possible methods. #1 Give a small amount of Steam credit for every 100 games voted on. #2 Do a wishlist raffle giveaway, everyone who votes on a Greenlight title gets one ticket, raffle every month, something like that.
- Figure out a way to grandfather in more existing independent developers. Perhaps the following: Once a Greenlit game is released, if it meets a specific sales threshold, exempt the developer from future Greenlight processes.
- Keep doing the thing that they did with the IGF finalists, and extend it to other relevant competitions.

Every month:
- Greenlight the Top 10
- Mandate the intended release date field to be filled out, anything not coming out in the next 12 months must go in concepts
- Do 5-10 "Editor's Choice" selections a month, and if Valve doesn't want to put the man-hours in, make it rotating between prominent independent developers and critics (writers from RPS, PCGamer, Terry Cavagnagh, Jonathan Blow, The World of Goo Kyles, Cromulent_Word, the Humble guys, etc.)
- Have an editorial veto in case something truly disasterous appears to fall under these categories.
- Give users rewards for voting on Greenlight; two possible methods. #1 Give a small amount of Steam credit for every 100 games voted on. #2 Do a wishlist raffle giveaway, everyone who votes on a Greenlight title gets one ticket, raffle every month, something like that.
- Figure out a way to grandfather in more existing independent developers. Perhaps the following: Once a Greenlit game is released, if it meets a specific sales threshold, exempt the developer from future Greenlight processes.
- Keep doing the thing that they did with the IGF finalists, and extend it to other relevant competitions.
Did you send an email to Gabe and Valve about it? Those seem like pretty great ideas.

Where can you see the top 100 list?
AFAIK, you can't. It looks like Valve was trying to implement a feature that would tell you if games you upvoted were on that level or not, but it was buggy and claimed damn near everything was top 100, so they've backed down on that (for now).

Every month:
- Greenlight the Top 10

really good ideas. really really good. I espescially like where they outsource some editors choice selections should they not have the man power.

Shaneus

Every month:
- Greenlight the Top 10
Tell them you're a mod on NeoGAF. That'll get 'em to look at it!

ArjanN

From to the latest Ghostlight blog update:

"In other news, since we came back from Christmas lots of you have asked us for the latest news on bringing JRPGs to PC. I’ve been told that we should have more news for you soon about a Steam Greenlight project. Thank you for all your interest in this so far. It’s something we’ve been really excited about and I hope you will be too, as if this first game is a success then we will of course be looking at bringing more great Japanese games to PC."

Shaneus

"But make sure you vote for it in the first month it's on Greenlight, because after then it has shit-all chance of making it."

Nabs

Now available:

Construct 2 - Free (limited)

You can be a game developer! Construct 2 redefines game making and allows everyone to make their own games - no programming required.
Construct 2's intuitive editor makes it straightforward to bring your ideas to life. Share and publish your games on the web and a wide range of devices.
Join the Game Making Revolution!

No Time to Explain - $7.49 (-25%)

No Time To Explain is a game about Time Paradoxes, Jetpack Guns and Ribs In People's Eyes. It's a comedy platformer featuring great music, voice acting and gameplay that becomes more ridiculous as you go.

Wok

It's a really cool little demo, but it's not really a game. It's not really something people should pay for, at least not more than a "This is awesome, take this donation" sort of thing.

If done right, it could be much more than a demo or even a game. People are actually working on surgery simulators. I am not kidding. What they do is augmented reality for surgeons.

Yeah last game was DREAM which was one of the fist games Greenlight on Steam and again this has highlighted what is wrong with Steam Greenlight.
When done and dusted games sit in the side lines and watch fantastic looking concepts get greenlit that aren't even finished yet, you know something is wrong.
As much as I loved Scratches and really want to see Asylum out there and be playing it, $100,666 is quite a big ask for an adventure game like this.
We shall see though I may well be eating my words and I did whack $15 there way so I can't moan that much about it.

New Update to Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1299555815309540201

Today we're releasing an update to Steam Greenlight based directly on feedback and requests from the community – both developers and consumers. This update includes the ability to skip items in your vote queue, improvements to collections, and new stats for developers.

Since the Steam Greenlight service went live back in August, an average of three new games have been posted to Steam Greenlight every single day. With so many great game and software titles being added it can be pretty hard to keep up. One of the great ways to discover new titles is to just jump into your queue. It is your own personalized queue of games you haven’t voted on. From there you can vote Yes, No, and now 'Ask me again later' to skip a title for consideration again at a later date.

Skipped titles will be removed from your queue for some amount of time (currently a month) after which they are once again candidates to appear in your queue. You can also view these skipped titles through the new Items to Revisit Later menu item in Greenlight.

If you really like a particular Greenlight entry, you can favorite it to easily find it later, or now you can opt to separately 'follow' items to be notified when the developer posts new announcements. (note: Anyone that had previously added a Greenlight item to their favorites will now automatically be following it as well. You can go here to see which items you are following.)

You can help your favorites by becoming an advocate for the title and spread the word by sharing it in your friends activity feed or on your favorite social media site. Letting other people know about an entry is a really great way for someone else to discover a hidden gem.

Another way to help other people discover titles you like is by creating a collection. There you can list all of your favorite selections, and now you can post announcements to anyone that is following your collection. And if you aren’t up for creating a collection yourself, you can always browse other collections to find a person with similar taste and then follow their collection to see what new picks they add.

Meanwhile, a new set of detailed statistics are now available for developers to show exactly how many people are looking at their item, voting, and how that adds up over time.

Shaneus

I'm seeing differences to voting but not how votes are tallied. Are they still doing that stupid thing about how it's only the average number of votes that count towards one's ranking?

RedSwirl

From to the latest Ghostlight blog update:

"In other news, since we came back from Christmas lots of you have asked us for the latest news on bringing JRPGs to PC. I’ve been told that we should have more news for you soon about a Steam Greenlight project. Thank you for all your interest in this so far. It’s something we’ve been really excited about and I hope you will be too, as if this first game is a success then we will of course be looking at bringing more great Japanese games to PC."

What is Ghostlight anyway? I'm not seeing much of a general description on the blog itself.

dani_dc

What is Ghostlight anyway? I'm not seeing much of a general description on the blog itself.

They're an European publisher who focus mostly on bringing niche games to Europe (such as Persona 1/2, Trails in the Sky, Agarest or Fate/EXTRA).

I'm rather curious at to what they might be alluring to, though it's probably best not to have particularly high expectations.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh man, I don't think I like these new Greenlight stats page, hah. Now I'm depressed. :p

Oil Blue:

greenlightgah1.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious:

greenlightgah2.jpg

Thought to be fair, Cook, Serve, Delicious was on there before people knew about it via Giantbomb, so they probably thought it was another diner dash clone.

So much for Steam. Ah well.

DTKT

Oh man, I don't think I like these new Greenlight stats page, hah. Now I'm depressed. :p

Oil Blue:

greenlightgah1.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious:

greenlightgah2.jpg

Thought to be fair, Cook, Serve, Delicious was on there before people knew about it via Giantbomb, so they probably thought it was another diner dash clone.

This is why Greenlight is a broken system right now. 6 thousand people would have probably bought the game. Now, because 11k said "No", and that was before they introduced the "Ask me later" button, these kind of games will never be on Steam.

That's just messed up on so many levels.

This is why Greenlight is a broken system right now. 6 thousand people would have probably bought the game. Now, because 11k said "No", and that was before they introduced the "Ask me later" button, these kind of games will never be on Steam.

That's just messed up on so many levels.

Yeah, if I don't intend to buy a Greenlight game I simply don't vote. Voting no is just fucked up and can potentially ruin things for others. People want to play these games, just because I don't doesn't mean they shouldn't be able too.

DTKT

Then, it shouldn't be called "No". A "Yes" and a "I don't want to rate this game" seems like a better option. Anyway, that's a pretty minor thing when it's all a big popularity contest. :(

Every month:
- Greenlight the Top 10

They'd have to be very careful and put some restricting measures in place in order to reward greenlight voters and not have people just go on and click yes or no on every game without looking at them. A minimum time between votes could be imposed, but then people would just write bots to auto vote on a thousand different accounts.

Oil Blue:

greenlightgah1.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious:

greenlightgah2.jpg

Should I start an indiegogo campaign to help bankroll a Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back-style beatdown?

Card Boy

Banned

Oil Blue:

greenlightgah1.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious:

greenlightgah2.jpg

At least you now know why Valve said no to you 10 times.

Valnen

They'd have to be very careful and put some restricting measures in place in order to reward greenlight voters and not have people just go on and click yes or no on every game without looking at them. A minimum time between votes could be imposed, but then people would just write bots to auto vote on a thousand different accounts.

Perhaps the rewards could come after you purchase the game you greenlit, showing your interest was genuine.

Wok

Indie Royale Evolved Bundle:
Unmechanical (steam/desura)
The Path (steam/desura)
Krater (steam)
Sugar Cube: BitterSweet Factory (steam/desura)
OIO (desura)

You can try OIO if you buy the Indie Royale.

The next Green Light Bundle (www.thegreenlightbundle.com) will go live on February 1st. Nine games all from Steam greenlight of course :). $5.

This bundle of games should go live today. It is a good way to try games.

Here's the whole stat screen if your curious
xVEnxVv.png

This part of the stats tells you it is very unlikely your game will be on Steam this century. Unless there is a change of trend of course.

Blizzard

Banned
At least you now know why Valve said no to you 10 times.
Wait, why was that? Because Valve had an idea that only 6,000 people might want to buy the game? If it's a quality game, how does it hurt Valve to make 6,000 extra sales?

Are you saying that Valve suspected the popularity compared to other games was too low or am I missing your point?

ArjanN

Wait, why was that? Because Valve had an idea that only 6,000 people might want to buy the game? If it's a quality game, how does it hurt Valve to make 6,000 extra sales?

Are you saying that Valve suspected the popularity compared to other games was too low or am I missing your point?

I'm guessing that was the point, yeah, i.e. they could have some other more popular game in it's place.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm guessing that was the point, yeah, i.e. they could have some other more popular game in it's place.
But the thing is it's not like they're running out of shelf space, and I'm not familiar with other games on the Steam store in the same categories as say, The Oil Blue or the cooking game. Or pinball for that matter.

Plus Valve didn't have the hard vote data previously, so it would have to be based on their predictions. I guess I don't really feel it explains why they would reject a game, unless they're purely trying to avoid an iOS-esque app store situation of so many cheap games and applications. I really don't know.

Top Bottom