• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

All the impressions from events have been nothing but positive. Amazon and Argos selling out is good, means plenty of people are jumping on. I know it's not great having review codes out until launch, but after Doom- I'm not worrying about that stuff anymore.

pieface

Goalkeepers need improving. Every shot pretty much goes in.

I applaud EA for making defending less assisted and more "manual", it needed to be done, but what bothers me is that it feels the same thing hasn't been done with attacking and the balance isn't right.

Tis a fun game and every game largely ends up being about 6-6 online. But... something has to give, whether it's making goalkeepers better or making attacking more "manual" too.

Ravelle

Can’t wait for those impromptu tabletop joycon 1v1 matches. Sure, cramped hands ahoy, but everything worth it has to hurt a bit :D

At least they're curved. I remember playing for a long periods on the NES and I leave with triangles carved into the palm of my hands.

Heard from an colleague who played an little bit last night(ps4) that the game was slower compared to last year. Game-play wise I mean.

Anyone agree/disagree with that?

Goalkeepers need improving. Every shot pretty much goes in.

I applaud EA for making defending less assisted and more "manual", it needed to be done, but what bothers me is that it feels the same thing hasn't been done with attacking and the balance isn't right.

Tis a fun game and every game largely ends up being about 6-6 online. But... something has to give, whether it's making goalkeepers better or making attacking more "manual" too.

This is the biggest issue. Offense is pretty overpowered right now.

pieface

Heard from an colleague who played an little bit last night(ps4) that the game was slower compared to last year. Game-play wise I mean.

I'd say it's faster, much faster.

Feels like FIFA of old to me. Arcady-like. But also fun.

buenoblue

I've bought every fifa since the first one on mega drive in 93. Bin playing the ea access trial and I think I'm out. Seems all to similar and ut is always laggy for me. Just gonna wait for ea access next year. Getting a switch at Christmas so might be tempted by portable fifa. X

Blablurn

Im surprised how much stuff you get this year. Daily challenges give u some bonus points or contracts, while squad battles also give u plenty of rewards. Way ahead of NBA 2K in that regard.

Coxy100

Banned
All the impressions from events have been nothing but positive. Amazon and Argos selling out is good, means plenty of people are jumping on. I know it's not great having review codes out until launch, but after Doom- I'm not worrying about that stuff anymore.

True - but I cancelled my pre-order and went with PS4 instead.

I was too concerned about it - and I'm eager to play on release so I'm going with the copy that had a demo AND reviews. It's a bit worrying the lack of demo and review code.

Hopefully it comes good for the franchise to stay on Switch.

pieface

I really think that FIFA for the long term, needs to remove assisted passing. Offense will always be OP otherwise.

I'd love them to do that.

I wish they'd change the "assisted" controls to semi-assisted and just call it assisted.

Would require so much more skill to be good at then.

oti

Banned
I just got a mail from the retailer I pre-ordered the Switch version from. Apparently the game is delayed and the new release date is Octrober the 14th.? Or it's just shortages? I pre-ordered over a month ago though.

pbsapeer

Banned
I just got a mail from the retailer I pre-ordered the Switch version from. Apparently the game is delayed and the new release date is Octrober the 14th.? Or it's just shortages? I pre-ordered over a month ago though.
No way!
I got told from gameseek this morning that my copy would be dispatched today. Holy shit what a let down if that’s been delayed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I'd say it's faster, much faster.

Feels like FIFA of old to me. Arcady-like. But also fun.

It's actually neither nor. It depends on the players on the field and their skills. Of course I guess online everybody plays with players like Ronaldo and Messi upfront which makes it faster. If you play SP, it really depends on the team and players.

Xater

Must be them because some online retailers like Gameware already have it in stock.

King_Moc

Banned

Mines been dispatched by Amazon. So the retailer must not have enough stock.

pieface

It's actually neither nor. It depends on the players on the field and their skills. Of course I guess online everybody plays with players like Ronaldo and Messi upfront which makes it faster. If you play SP, it really depends on the team and players.

I only play with 3-4 star teams online and i'd say it's faster. Mainly because strikers running at defenders feel faster, as defenders seem to take longer to turn and run now.

So it really feels like just holding run with a fast striker is way OP at the minute.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Playing around with the camera a bit. Using the Pro camera even for the non-Pro modes makes it so much easier for me to time and direct the tackles or position the defenders. But it fucks up the shooting.

I wish for a end to end camera that is always behind my team. That would be ideal I think.

Barzul

Something I've noticed is that the pass cancel is more intuitive. Often you'd change a decision on a pass and it would happen anyway but now it's more responsive to that split second change in direction instead of passing. Is this just me noticing this?

oti

Banned
Now I got another mail that the new shipping date is the 7th.
Also got a 10% coupon code. I'm cool with that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Im surprised how much stuff you get this year. Daily challenges give u some bonus points or contracts, while squad battles also give u plenty of rewards. Way ahead of NBA 2K in that regard.

I cba with todays dailies

Win an online seasons game with a clean sheet? fuck that stress

Where's the source on this? I can't see how an engine would change the animations, except the quality of them.

Because the old engine is the same as 360/ps3 and won't have the new animations, why would it?

Blab, you're a FIFA player now? I remember the PS2 PES days. Always good to see a familiar face in here. I've been out of the footy game for a while (PS3 PES killed my interest for like 10 years). Looking forward to getting back in with FIFA Switch.

Because the old engine is the same as 360/ps3 and won't have the new animations, why would it?
There are repeated interviews where the dev specifically explains how this isn't the 360/PS3 engine. It's a custom built engine. It's not PS3 with higher resolution or dumbed down Frostbite. That said, it's safe to say there are elements of both gens that are present in the Switch version.

Si2k78

You can see in this video from Gamescom that it's not a super-gimped mobile version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmCrUwWPf94

As for confirmations of everything that's in, I'm afraid that these will be only Friday or if there are some reviews popping up meanwhile.

During gameplay, which is about 98% of the time, the difference in graphics between the switch and the other versions are negotiable. I must admit, after watching that video, I'm sold.

Last year I played both FIFA and PES (I like FIFA's overall package/presentation more), but after playing PES '18 for a few weeks now...I'm struggling to play FIFA, and not because I think it's bad, but because the difference in movement and how the players control is just so different this year. Does anyone else feel the same?

I feel like in fifa my players are going through mud :/

Makes me wish FIFA came out first lol so that it wouldn't be such a drastic difference and I would already be accustomed to it

Edit: will probably only buy it for switch now and play pes on pc. Unless I can get a deal on fifa for UT

Going with FIFA this year. Despite its fast nature, I had a lot of fun with the demo (scoring on the counter with Hazard is a beautiful thing). Reminds me of FIFA 09.

I admire PES' vision but there are too many broken aspects to play it in the long run, in particular, the dreadful AI and shooting.

Going with FIFA this year. Despite its fast nature, I had a lot of fun with the demo (scoring on the counter with Hazard is a beautiful thing). Reminds me of FIFA 09.

I admire PES' vision but there are too many broken aspects to play it in the long run, in particular, the dreadful AI and shooting.

Try using "slow" gameplay speed setting.

Also, yeah, as others have said, keepers need work. They are more vulnerable to near post shots than ever, and anything low is once again baffling to them.

Ken Adams

Something I've noticed is that the pass cancel is more intuitive. Often you'd change a decision on a pass and it would happen anyway but now it's more responsive to that split second change in direction instead of passing. Is this just me noticing this?

Na it def is better. This year they are able to change the animations every frame, So everything just feels tight.

pieface

This game is stupid and seriously needs a patch. Too many situations you can't defend cos the attacking is to over powered. The balance is fucked. Try and have a game online against someone decent and you won't keep a clean sheet, and neither will they.

Bet there's never been a 0-0 game online.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
New FIFA player here.

Any general recommendations or tips?

Chessr

be a bad career mode if you couldn't sell and buy players lol

one of their additions this year is negotiations in real time with cutscenes, as well as release and buy on clauses etc

Im sorry that i am new to this game and dont know a lot about it :)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Damn, the AI in some of these squad battles do not fuck about,
was took to extra time in one earlier

Im sorry that i am new to this game and dont know a lot about it :)

Yeah, sorry for my attitude originally, it was unnecessary.

Top Bottom