• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Has anyone been able to repair an iPhone stick in headphone mode (says headphones are in when they're not)

I've tried compressed air, ear bud, headphones in and out, headphones turned around

Music plays fine with them in, it also makes a noise without headphones when someone rings me but I can't hear them speak, they can hear me

:( might just get a new phone

I would rather fo to a Apple Store or a Repairshop

emag

My wish list:

1. Revert to non-bubbled widgets and grouped notifications
2. Gesture/swipe typing with the default keyboard
3. Low power mode toggle in the control center, as well as long press/3D touch for menus in control center

Oynox

Why? What we have now is so much better than what iOS 9 had.

No, because the whole first "page" of the widget page is by two big bubbles containing weather and calendar overview, whereas in iOS 9 it was all presented in short text form, viewable at a glance, using maybe half of the space. Those bubbles are an absolute waste of space.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can definitely see it being a mode for accessibility reasons, though maybe on by default
I can see it as being one of the things iOS asks while you're setting it up. Maybe on the iPhone 8/Edition it'll ask you if you want it on all the time, or off like normal along with a blurb about the new screen and the benefits of using dark mode. Other phones might just have it show as white normal and just ask if you want to use dark instead.

Anything to replace the terrible blue dark mode on Twitter. I hate it. Dark mode to me is white on black/dark grey. I cannot get used to Twitter's dark blue Night mode theme.

I've said it before, I wish all websites had a dark mode too. Dark mode should be a system setting on all Mac, Windows, iOS and Android operating systems that apps and websites can hook into (Returns a true/false) for allowing for automatic dark mode across the entire system. I wish Twitter itself (The website) and FaceBook had dark mode. YouTube apparently has an experimental hidden dark mode that you need to create a cookie to use. (I don't know how to do this on Safari. I'd like to use it. Chrome lets you create cookies.)

Has anyone been able to repair an iPhone stick in headphone mode (says headphones are in when they're not)

Edit: seems to have fixed itself now
People have this happen all the time. It happens when a teeny tiny bit of moisture gets in the headphone jack. It fixes itself after about 24 hours usually. But people freak out about it until it does. No amount of rebooting, air blowing, etc. will fix it. I don't know why. It's weird. And how it just repairs itself is just even more weird.

My wish list:

1. Revert to non-bubbled widgets and grouped notifications
2. Gesture/swipe typing with the default keyboard
3. Low power mode toggle in the control center, as well as long press/3D touch for menus in control center
Yeah, I want grouped notifications per app or per date separately. And I want like notifications to have less wasted space. Put all app notifications in one big bubble separated by a line. No huge buffer wasting space please.

And more icon grid slots on the Plus models would be really nice. I'm talking a 5th column and 7th row on the Home screen, an extra icon on the top and bottom of the Control Center. Maybe make it customizable so I can add or remove what I want like I can do with macOS/Windows toolbars. Also turn those wasteful AirDrop, Night Mode and whatever other buttons that are huge rectangles wasting space into smaller icons too and move the music controls back onto the first page of CC. Especially on huge Plus screens. So much wasted space. Four icons in a folder on iPhone Plus would be nice. Hell most of this stuff could work on the non-Plus versions too.

I really hope iOS 11 is something special.

Ambitious

The Successor to Wunderlist Is Here: Microsoft To-Do

Given the lack of meaningful updates to Wunderlist, I guess the writing was on the wall. Has anyone tried it yet?

I saw the news yesterday when I was already in bed, so I just installed it and tried to import my Wunderlist tasks. There's an Import feature in the settings. Tapping the option opened an in-app web browser, showing an import site. The site was cut off for some reason, so I couldn't actually see the import button. I had to use a Safari extension to modify the DOM of the site to make the button appear. Tapping it required me to log in twice; first to my Microsoft account, then to my Wunderlist account, even though I was of course already logged in to the todo app with my MS account. Finally, it said my tasks would be imported in the background, so I could go back to the app and they would appear shortly. Well, after five minutes I went to sleep, and today there's still nothing. Great first impression.
Gonna try importing from my computer today when I'm back home.

Oh, and speaking of todo apps, Things 3 is coming soon.

They fixed this yesterday, although the layout is still wonky as fuck. How does stuff like this make it into production? I can't believe it. Anyway, after having to sign in twice again, it actually started the import process. It took about 15 seconds per todo item. Someone explain this one to me, please. After importing all items from my Inbox list, it stopped. I waited for about seven minutes and went to bed again. Today, it seems to have imported all tasks.

Whatever. Gonna give it a test run, but my expectations are now pretty low.

edit: Just noticed the items of my Inbox have been duplicated. Oh, come on.

They fixed this yesterday, although the layout is still wonky as fuck. How does stuff like this make it into production? I can't believe it. Anyway, after having to sign in twice again, it actually started the import process. It took about 15 seconds per todo item. Someone explain this one to me, please. After importing all items from my Inbox list, it stopped. I waited for about seven minutes and went to bed again. Today, it seems to have imported all tasks.

Whatever. Gonna give it a test run, but my expectations are now pretty low.

edit: Just noticed the items of my Inbox have been duplicated. Oh, come on.

Do you like enjoy any software at all? Or anything in life?

pronk420

Is there a way to trick iOS into letting you listen to music while playing a video in PiP? I know it is possible since games can play audio whilst video is playing, and I also managed to get the ambiance app to play in the background while a video was playing in pip by accident, not entirely sure how I did it though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there a way to trick iOS into letting you listen to music while playing a video in PiP? I know it is possible since games can play audio whilst video is playing, and I also managed to get the ambiance app to play in the background while a video was playing in pip by accident, not entirely sure how I did it though.
I wish I could force it to play my music even when I'm in a game full screen.

Number45

I wish I could force it to play my music even when I'm in a game full screen.
I wonder if this is a game specific thing? If I'm listening to music when I'm playing Jetpack Joyride (currently the only IOS game I have installed) the music from the game doesn't play and music continues - I just get sound effects from the game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder if this is a game specific thing? If I'm listening to music when I'm playing Jetpack Joyride (currently the only IOS game I have installed) the music from the game doesn't play and music continues - I just get sound effects from the game.
The worst part is when I disable the music and sound for the game in the game itself, set it to Vibrate mode just to be sure, and it STILL disables my music.

I hate when Twitter pauses my music just because I want to look at an inline video. How about you gibe me an option to keep my music playing and mute the video instead, Twitter? Maybe it's not a possible option with Apple's API? Because it should be. Maybe a "Only play video audio track when music is not playing." that would apply to all music style apps like Music, Apple Music, Spotify, etc. that applies to apps like Twitter and FaceBook. And a separate "allow/force music to continue playing when in games" that could either automatically disable the game music audio (Keep sound effects if you want) or blanket mute the game itself and continue playing music.

Speaking of Music.app. How the hell is there no landscape mode for it on the iPhone Plus?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How the hell is it 2017 and the app switcher is still caching app images from old app states?

Pathetic, Apple.
Yeah, I know. Sometimes apps even show old states from days ago while launching. (Apps that don't have splash screens)

I wish Apple would allow for live updating of specific apps being viewed in the switcher like the clock app. When I have a timer running it'd be nice to be able to peek at it quickly. It sucks that it doesn't put the timer remaining time anywhere in the UI while it's running except the lock screen, which I would have to lock in order to see. Why not either A) put it in a persistent notification in NC like it does for snooze alarms or B) put it in the Up Next widget. Or better yet, C) put it in Control Center under the clock icon while it's running.

Squalor

Yeah, I know. Sometimes apps even show old states from days ago while launching. (Apps that don't have splash screens)

I wish Apple would allow for live updating of specific apps being viewed in the switcher like the clock app. When I have a timer running it'd be nice to be able to peek at it quickly. It sucks that it doesn't put the timer remaining time anywhere in the UI while it's running except the lock screen, which I would have to lock in order to see. Why not either A) put it in a persistent notification in NC like it does for snooze alarms or B) put it in the Up Next widget. Or better yet, C) put it in Control Center under the clock icon while it's running.
Hell, I'd settle for a 3D Touch view of the timer. It would be a marked improvement.

They really need to make Control Center customizable. I don't use Camera as my main camera app, so the shortcut is useless to me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How the hell is it 2017 and the app switcher is still caching app images from old app states?

Pathetic, Apple.
Sounds like that could be a battery killer.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Pathetic, Apple.
Anything you see in the app switcher is just a PNG screenshot taken during the app minimise process. If you force close apps for example, that process never runs and you end up with out of date preview images.

Should also note that there are two preview screenshots, one for horizonal orientation and one for vertical, that are independent of each other.

Squalor

Anything you see in the app switcher is just a PNG screenshot taken during the app minimise process. If you force close apps for example, that process never runs and you end up with out of date preview images.

Should also note that there are two preview screenshots, one for horizonal orientation and one for vertical, that are independent of each other.
Yeah, I'm aware what the issue is. It has been a thing since 2014.

It's sad and disgusting Apple has done nothing to address it yet alone acknowledge it in anyway.

Probably not. Leaving apps open doesn't have any significant impact on the battery. A cached image probably doesn't either.

The issues are really with security, decorum, and convenience.

Loading apps into memory for an up-to-date screenshot is a different thing entirely from keeping them frozen in the background (with occasional highly managed background processes). It'd be nice if it were a bit better at taking app state screenshots a little bit more frequently, though, for sure. I just wouldn't expect them to live update in the background.

I'd be more interested in putting that sort of thing in the 3D Touch submenu - basically, just adding a Clock widget, I guess.

I could see Apple giving live-update-in-app-switcher privileges to a *very* few built-in apps but I don't think it'd ever be extended to third parties - anything like that would be too easily be used keep the entire app up and running in the background without the user's permission.

I think one thing we *do* absolutely need on the API side is more app extensions and 3D Touch actions that can accomplish things in the background without opening the app in the foreground - so, basically, more than a fancy proprietary URL scheme. To use the Clock app as an example, there's no reason that starting and stopping the timer using 3D Touch should open the app up in the foreground.

Pakoe

I can finally switch my contract.
The iPhone 6 was my first iPhone and I've been enjoying every minute with it.
The only thing that I hated, was the fact that I picked a 16gb version. I've made it work though. Right now (after two years of use) I have around 2gb free.
For my next phone I'll probably just go for the iPhone 7 128gb. Can't wait.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hell, I'd settle for a 3D Touch view of the timer. It would be a marked improvement.

They really need to make Control Center customizable. I don't use Camera as my main camera app, so the shortcut is useless to me.

Loading apps into memory for an up-to-date screenshot is a different thing entirely from keeping them frozen in the background (with occasional highly managed background processes). It'd be nice if it were a bit better at taking app state screenshots a little bit more frequently, though, for sure. I just wouldn't expect them to live update in the background.

I'd be more interested in putting that sort of thing in the 3D Touch submenu - basically, just adding a Clock widget, I guess.

I could see Apple giving live-update-in-app-switcher privileges to a *very* few built-in apps but I don't think it'd ever be extended to third parties - anything like that would be too easily be used keep the entire app up and running in the background without the user's permission.

I think one thing we *do* absolutely need on the API side is more app extensions and 3D Touch actions that can accomplish things in the background without opening the app in the foreground - so, basically, more than a fancy proprietary URL scheme. To use the Clock app as an example, there's no reason that starting and stopping the timer using 3D Touch should open the app up in the foreground.
You'd still have to go to the Home screen anyway.

Really, the best solution is just making a persistent notification like when you hit snooze. Then it's just a quick swipe down from the top to check and a quick swipe back up. Or put it in the Control Center since on a larger phone it takes two hands to hit the NC. But you can always hit CC.

Hell, put it everywhere. Put it over the home screen icon while running. Put it in Up Next. Put it as a persistent notification. AND put it over the Timer icon in Control Center. (Most logical really since that's literally a shortcut to the timer.)

Side note: I just discovered you can use 3D Touch on the four icons at the bottom of CC. That's really neat. Although I use Siri for timers, and none of the choices it gives me there are anything I'd use. (Let me customize those choices. 1 hour, 20 minutes, 5 minutes and 1 minute? Useless. I'd need 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 22 minutes (Pizza) and 30 minutes really.)

CC really does need more customization. Let us move stuff around like widgets. Create our own pages of things. Let me put the music player back on the first page. Add a 5th shortcut icon and 6th quick access icon. Remove the AirPlay and AirDrop icons which I NEVER use, or replace them with smaller icon only buttons that I can remove or nestle with the other icons at the top and bottom. Night Shift at least can be put at the top if you ask me next to the DND icon. Replace its huge icon with the music controls and make the whole box taller. (I mean I get that it's short since you need to reach it, but that's what Reachability is for.) There's a lot of wasted space on the music screen since it needs to be tall. It could easily be crammed onto the front page again AND keep its large album art.

I guess you can't move widgets around on there since it needs to be able to flow differently on landscape view. So that probably won't happen. Edit: Actually, they COULD do it by making it so when you're in portrait, it shows all the stuff on one page and when in landscape then it switches to two pages.

But at least let us remove stuff and add stuff and give us some kind of customization. At LEAST put Night Shift along the top and give it a 3D Touch menu that tells you the text information it gives you.

emag

Ah, I forgot one item from my wishlist above -- a notification allowing dismissal of upcoming alarms.

If I wake up before my alarm goes off in the morning, I either have to turn it off completely in the clock app and then remember to turn it back on again after the event time has passed or just deal with it going off while I'm busy getting ready. On Android, a notification is created a bit (30 minutes?) before the alarm actually goes off, so it's easy to pre-emptively dismiss without mucking around with the actual alarm settings. It's a small thing, but it alleviates a daily annoyance.

Ah, I forgot one item from my wishlist above -- a notification allowing dismissal of upcoming alarms.

If I wake up before my alarm goes off in the morning, I either have to turn it off completely in the clock app and then remember to turn it back on again after the event time has passed or just deal with it going off while I'm busy getting ready. On Android, a notification is created a bit (30 minutes?) before the alarm actually goes off, so it's easy to pre-emptively dismiss without mucking around with the actual alarm settings. It's a small thing, but it alleviates a daily annoyance.

I'd love to see the Bedtime functionality improved in this way, yeah.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks Apple. You still have no idea how normal humans use quotation marks. Or that there's a small chance that I'm trying to type "is," in the middle of a sentence requiring the 3rd person singular present indicative, instead of "OS."

Also has anyone else encountered slow response and perf on messaging lately? Everything from typing response to address book lockups are coding for me lately. Hard reboots not helping. I even deleted about a year of old texts.

Majine

Banned
For iOS 11 they really need to step things up on the software side.

1. Finish the design job you started in iOS 10. The music app was updated, yet Podcasts still looks like iOS 9. There are more examples of apps that just feel old and not very smart anymore (Mail, Contacts etc.)

2. Make notifications better. Group them by apps. Allow me to quickly snooze a notification and set the time where I want to be reminded again. System-wide notification sync via iCloud, ergo if I dismiss a notification on iPhone it should be dismissed on iPad as well, clear all notifications on non-3D touch devices, etc.

3. Allow us to be more productive. Why is there still no group calling in FaceTime? Why does homescreen icons still have to cascade from the top? Let me put the icons wherever I want.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Allowing icons to be placed anywhere would make it impossible to use landscape mode on both iPad and iPhone Plus. Have you ever seen it on Android? It looks way too awkward and misplaced and stretched when you rotate the screen. Unless they somehow fixed it. It's also the reason we can't have widgets on the home screen like android. Though I don't mind just having them on their own page.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For icon placement, I'd be happy if the grid remains but that you can have empty slots on the same page and not just per page like it is now, effectively allowing you to group and space out apps on a page.
As is I keep page 1 empty and page 2 is where the apps are because I wan't a clean screen with only the dock as the landing page so-to-speak.

Notification snoozing would be great, as would incorporating some smart inbox/mail snoozing into Mail.app for basic parity with Google Inbox/Microsoft Outlook.

Also has anyone else encountered slow response and perf on messaging lately? Everything from typing response to address book lockups are coding for me lately. Hard reboots not helping. I even deleted about a year of old texts.
I get slow response across my 6S+ at least daily. It's not limited to messaging, either. I've seen it in Apple Music, Safari, and opening apps from the Home Screen.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I need them to add native sleep tracking to the watch. I already use it as a silent alarm so it's on my wrist all night, may as well also make it so it can tell me how shitty I slept

would love this as well.. also adaptive sleep tracking. current sleep tracking is shit "you must go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day"

no.. let me tell you when I go to sleep, and tell you when I wake up. then use motion tracking on the watch to tell me how well I slept. seems so ridiculously easy.. guessing they are avoiding it to not instantly smash down developers with apps doing the same thing.. hopefully ios 11. give the devs time to make their money before killing their dreams.

no.. let me tell you when I go to sleep, and tell you when I wake up. then use motion tracking on the watch to tell me how well I slept. seems so ridiculously easy.. guessing they are avoiding it to not instantly smash down developers with apps doing the same thing.. hopefully ios 11. give the devs time to make their money before killing their dreams.

Apple loves to Sherlock developers. My guess as to why they aren't doing it is because the hardware isn't ready for true 24-hour battery life quite yet (which would also probably require faster charging so you could just wake up, take it off, charge it while you shower and get dressed or whatever, and put it back on again).

If anything, once Apple gets there with sleep tracking, I'd love it if I didnt have to bother telling the watch when I'm going to sleep or when I'm waking up - it ought to be able to detect these things automatically if it really wants to be a killer app.

BeeDog

This is more of an iTunes-related issue, so hopefully it's okay to post it here.

Recently I've been having loads of issues downloading app updates, mainly through iTunes but also on the phone itself.

In iTunes, the app updates seem to be downloading, but then they get stuck at the finish line and nothing more happens. I restart the software, and one or two app updates might finish updating, but then the same thing happens. Now I have like 40 app updates pending, and iTunes keeps getting stuck.

Anyone know what might cause this issue? :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My phone has started buzzing like for an incoming notification but there isn't any banner. Had a look through the notifications list and I can't see anything set to sounds only. How do I figure it out?

Vuze

My phone has started buzzing like for an incoming notification but there isn't any banner. Had a look through the notifications list and I can't see anything set to sounds only. How do I figure it out?
I was also sp00ked by these ghost vibrations until I figured out my iCloud mail was set up that way. Perhaps it's the same for you.

You can set up an app's notifications to produce sound but set the alerts and banners to "none"

2olsjBT_d.jpg

Started noticing it a few days ago. Does it several times per day. same whether the in silent mode or not - just buzzes

Very strange. Do you have an Apple Watch? If you're wearing your watch your phone shouldn't be buzzing for any notifications as long as every app is set to mirror. Could help narrow it down?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Very strange. Do you have an Apple Watch? If you're wearing your watch your phone shouldn't be buzzing for any notifications as long as every app is set to mirror. Could help narrow it down?

I do. It still vibrates so that should narrow it down to non-mirrored notifications. Will see if I can track it down.

FerranMG

Started noticing it a few days ago. Does it several times per day. same whether the in silent mode or not - just buzzes

Happened to me to.
In my case, I think it's Downcast notifications when refreshing the podcast list.
I have an AppleWatch too, and these notifications don't usually reach the watch for some reason. They just make the phone vibrate the moment the notification pops up, and then they disappear.

Vuze

I just got an iPad. Is there any way to get all the mail accounts I have setup on my iPhone over to it without entering all settings and credentials again?

Vuze

Doesn't iCloud transfer everything?
Only iCloud Mail. According to a years-old post on the Apple forum it's not possible but I figured it might have changed for the better and you could atleast manually get the stuff transfered. Oh well.

Anyway, app recommendations? There's lots of productivity stuff installed by default that I never tried (Pages, etc) so maybe that offers what I need but I'm looking for an app that is great for marking, underlining etc existing text files (pdf, word...) as well as a magazine/pdf/epub reader first and foremost.

A surprising number of my favorite iPhone apps are supported already, looking forward to browse the iPad store tonight. Lovely device, I only wish you could fit more icons on one page. Seems like a waste of space.

E: nvm, Documents 5 seems almost like the jack of all trades. Only wish it would live edit the dropbox documents but it's not that big of a deal for my use case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom