• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Entire Senate to Attend Briefing on North Korea at White House

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
‪http://reut.rs/2p9O9BD‬

Oh boy... is this a normal thing?

Top Trump administration officials will hold a rare briefing on Wednesday at the White House for the entire U.S. Senate on the situation in North Korea, senior Senate aides said on Monday.

All 100 senators have been asked to the White House for the briefing by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the aides said.
Briefing to be held on a Wednesday at 3PM Eastern

RPGCrazied

No? Sounds like they are getting ready to strike first and letting the senate prepare for such a thing.

That or he is going to try threatening them to do what he wants or else.

Loxley

No? Sounds like they are getting ready to strike first and letting the senate prepare for such a thing.

That or he is going to try threatening them to do what he wants or else.

I hope he uses his go-to bargaining tactic: "Let me bomb North Korea or I won't fund Obamacare".

Shoeless

Man, first missile attacks in Syria and now a potential strike in North Korea. It really makes me wonder just how much people thought Hillary was going to do if this is their idea of an acceptable "dove" that won't make things worse by getting the US involved in wars in other countries.

I guess they figured she'd probably just press The Button the second she was sworn in if they still feel this is the preferable alternative.

Sephzilla

What if Trump is actually about to introduce the entire Senate to his new alien friends?

Saxon_Toclafane.jpg

AmyS

I'm thinking the Senate will be briefed on Wednesday after a strike on North Korea, which means.....

4Tran

Technically, this is the right thing to do since Congress has the authority to declare war. The problem is that no president has cared about this authority since World War II, and Trump is unlikely to be an exception. In pretty much all other cases, the Senate of all bodies has very little say over foreign policy as that is the purview of the executive. It sounds more like Trump is planning to do something (obviously) stupid and he wants the Senate to share in the blame.

Horns

If he's picking a fight with NK then we should all be scared of this disillusioned moron. Why the fuck doesn't he go to them where there is adequate space for 100+ people?

Effect

Another distraction incoming and another attempt at a photo op. He knows he's going to fall flat on his face when it comes to getting something done at the end of the week. His threats aren't going to work so he needs something and he's just stupid enough to keep pushing this North Korea situation. It's all about trying to make it seem like he's on top and getting a win. He could easily have any information they have presented to the Senate. They don't need to come to the White House. Hell he doesn't even need to be present because he clearly doesn't understand what is going on nor is he capable of even talking people to his side.

This seems more like a grand bid for media intrigue, and the optics that Trump is a tough and serious world leader, in a week where Trump is likely to pass his 100 day mark without getting a healthcare vote or funding for the border wall

Attacking NK, unprovoked, for seemingly no reason, while the wounds of Iraq are still fresh is a horrible, presidency ending move.

How stupid can he possibly be? Nobody takes him by the hand and says "maybe this is a bad idea"

Luschient

Be interesting to hear the internal meetings going on in NK right now. Wonder if they think the US will actually strike them first or if they think Trump & Co. are bluffing.

Hazmat

This seems par for the course for Trump. It's not going to be super important, but it looks super important and makes Trump feel powerful.

Attacking NK, unprovoked, for seemingly no reason, while the wounds of Iraq are still fresh is a horrible, presidency ending move.

How stupid can he possibly be? Nobody takes him by the hand and says "maybe this is a bad idea"

He saw how much his approval rating went up when he bombed Syria so he's trying it again, only much bigger ratings this time!

wildfire

Banned
Well if Trump wanted to wipe out the legislature in a single blow this would be his best shot.

I'm joking about that but I do wonder how the House and Senate will react to whatever he has to say. I expect lots of incompetence as he attempts to first strike North Korea.

I do believe that country has to be confronted by engineering an internal coup or negotiating a merger of the North and South and ending the armistice should be attempted first.

4Tran

I thought that as well but that's a unique 4some to put together for such a thing.

I don't know why you'd have Mattis, the DNI and the chairman of the joint chiefs if it's a political stunt.
If it's a political stunt it would make sense to blow it up as big as possible.

Be interesting to hear the internal meetings going on in NK right now. Wonder if they think the US will actually strike them first or if they think Trump & Co. are bluffing.
Regardless of what North Korea thinks, they have to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Sephzilla

I fully believe that the airstrip bombing in Syria and the MOAB in Afghanistan were Trump attempts to distract us and forget about Russia. The next logical step in Trumps eyes is starting a war with North Korea.

Vixdean

The reason I'm not too concerned about this is we haven't heard about some mass evacuation or fortification of the tens of thousands of US troops stationed all over Eastern Asia and Pacific. That would be the precursor to any attack. North Korea isn't Syria, we can't just attack them with impunity with US personnel in range of their weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom