• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pres Obama now doing $400k speeches for Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal233

I don't begrudge Obama for making money, but I do wish he would do it more 'productively' and in a way that doesn't tarnish his reputation. He could easily sit on the boards of Apple, Google, Tesla, and other tech companies and make a fortune. Or go into venture capital just for green industries like Al Gore does.

Because Apple, Google and other tech companies, with their massive tax avoidance, exploitation of labor in 3rd world countries and general scumbaggery are so much better that evil Wall St.

Deepwater

I don't know what's funnier, people surprised that he's doing this or people who expect him to donate it to charity or put it in his foundation LMAO.

Tetra-9

Clinton stays away: Boo! Do something goddammit.

Clinton gets involved: Boo! You're what's wrong with the Democratic party! Go away!

Well I don't think anybody wanted her as a primary or GE candidate in the long run tbh. The question is then, why did the party support her for so long?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Because Apple, Google and other tech companies, with their massive tax avoidance, exploitation of labor in 3rd world countries and general scumbaggery are so much better that evil Wall St.

They make my phone and technology I use!!!

I'm with you on this. Surely Obama has more money than he could ever possibly need right?

Just seems like pure greed, unless he's doing this to donate most of it to charity.

Yeah dude, I mean, I just got my salary increased from $13/hr to $14/hr, but I was surviving on that $13/hr so I should really just tell my bosses to keep the extra buck because I don't actually need it right?

I mean it's not like I could use the extra money to buy things that I want instead of need, like a Nintendo Switch or something.

Maybe if I got an even bigger increase I could afford that sailboat I want someday because I love sailing and it would bring me immense joy. Oh, wait, no, that's just pure greed I guess.

It's actually really amazing how out of touch with reality people are for thinking this is somehow a betrayal of values or "disappointing"

"Oh sorry, I can't take this nearly half a million paycheck for talking to a bunch of people because making money is evil now, I'm sure my wife is going to totally understand"

I feel like I'm losing my mind reading this shit on a more frequent basis.

Unless they are literal clones in every possible way other than their stances on wall street this scenario doesn't work.

Also, what donation? He's providing them a service and getting paid, this is a one-off freelance gig.
Ok it's not a donation. But call me paranoid I guess if an influential politician in our party gets handed giants sacks of money for speeches by financial corporations who regularly donate money to politicians and stack congress with lackies who have favorable positions towards their industry

I just believe it's wrong for someone involved heavily in politics to be doing this sort of thing, because It can and does influence people and regular voters can't compete with financial industries or corporations that have enough cash to deal out large speaking fees. Ifhe's sort of walking away from it I don't care.

But if he's really looking to find the "next generation of leadership" I guess I don't want to be asking the question, should this become a regular thing, were the type of leaders he sought out or help try and elect really the best posible candidates they could be or was his judgement in anyway compromised.

kyser73

Fuck me, some of you guys will he great additions to the Ideological Purity Police in any future autocratic states.

Normally this kind of vitriol is only seen shared between Marxist/Leninists & Trots, I'd never expect to see it from milquetoast US liberals over something like a paid speaking thing.

cdyhybrid

If only people got this upset at the prospect of Trump winning the election.

It's actually really amazing how out of touch with reality people are for thinking this is somehow a betrayal of values or "disappointing"

"Oh sorry, I can't take this nearly half a million paycheck for talking to a bunch of people because making money is evil now, I'm sure my wife is going to totally understand"

I feel like I'm losing my mind reading this shit on a more frequent basis.

Bernie donated every last dime of his to the community because he's the only one who truly understands income inequality.

Oh wait.

I am not surprised. He was a good president, but history will judge him badly regarding his relationship with plutocrats.

Fuck me, some of you guys will he great additions to the Ideological Purity Police in any future autocratic states.

Normally this kind of vitriol is only seen shared between Marxist/Leninists & Trots, I'd never expect to see it from milquetoast US liberals over something like a paid speaking thing.

All ideologies are, by their very definition, purity tests. Even liberals/centrist/pragmatists who brag about not falling for that have their purity tests (heh take a look at the recent Bernie thread)

Matt

I don't know what's funnier, people surprised that he's doing this or people who expect him to donate it to charity or put it in his foundation LMAO.
I mean, this particular speech, who knows, but Obama will be putting a ton of money into many, many foundations and charities for the rest of his life.

To everyone complaining about this. Whose your favorite far left rails-against-the-fat-cats liberal?

Noam Chomsky?

Ralph Nader?

Cornel West?

They all get 15k-30k for an hour long speech. That's the business. It's crazy, but schools, conferences, business associations, etc. pay big for even mildly famous speakers. Obama is getting paid what he's worth.

Like the man isn't allowed to have a job after being president.

Like he should work the line at Arby's or some shit.

Would it be any better if he cranked home a 6 figure salary to talk at universities? Why is it scary that he's taking money from "Wall Street" to do some speeches?

Amir0x

Banned

populist saviors feeding political neophytes bullshit and simplistic solutions to complicated problems resonated with many for which the world is a scary and mean plzce

I'm with you on this. Surely Obama has more money than he could ever possibly need right?

Just seems like pure greed, unless he's doing this to donate most of it to charity.

If I grew up poor and reached a point in my life that people paid me 400k just to show up and talk I would do it every day for the rest of my life no matter how much money I had.

Hit the nail on the head. People seem angry that he's making any money at all, like he's supposed to be devoted to some fanatical ideology to never make money from speaking fees, especially not those DIRTY WHORES from the financial sector! /s

I'm liberal as all hell but this shit is off the charts lmao

Ploid 3.0

This will crush his chances to run for president again.

He's out of office and will be forever out of office. Go nuts bud, get your kids set up.

This is what I was thinking. I would love to be paid to speak to people for $400k. I'm not running for office anytime soon, or ever.

President Obama should make every last dollar he can from speeches if he's willing to give them and someone is willing to pay him to do so.

And thanks to policies that President Obama put into place, he'll pay as much as $160K just in federal taxes on this speech alone, assuming this isn't the only money he makes all year. (If it was, he'd pay $110K in taxes, before factoring in deductions).

Seems like that's his fair share. Get paid, Mr. President.

----
*Numbers rounded to nearest 10K. Assumes filing as Married Filing Jointly.

Ok it's not a donation. But call me paranoid I guess if an influential politician in our party gets handed giants sacks of money for speeches by financial corporations who regularly donate money to politicians and stack congress with lackies who have favorable positions towards their industry

I just believe it's wrong for someone involved heavily in politics to be doing this sort of thing, because It can and does influence people and regular voters can't compete with financial industries or corporations that have enough cash to deal out large speaking fees. Ifhe's sort of walking away from it I don't care.

But if he's really looking to find the "next generation of leadership" I guess I don't want to be asking the question, should this become a regular thing, were the type of leaders he sought out or help try and elect really the best posible candidates they could be or was his judgement in anyway compromised.

Again, why would Obama, who already has plenty of financial success on his own merits, be swayed personally by these types of payments?

Like, sure, he'll probably support candidates that people donate money to, but that's how the game is played in US politics.

I mean, even Warren has rich donors.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm not a disaffected sixteen year old who views the world in black and white and has no grasp of even the most basic economic theories as I impotently rage against the machine and therefore do not think Wall Street = evil, and so see no problem giving speeches for cash for some in this world.

Good for Obama.
yup

jviggy43

The people equating criticism to "he's just making money" are more embarassing than anything else that's been said in this thread.

Also Where is everyone seeing the outrage in this thread lol?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well I don't think anybody wanted her as a primary or GE candidate in the long run tbh. The question is then, why did the party support her for so long?

Did you conveniently forget that she got the most votes both in the nomination process and in the actual election?

What I'm learning recently:

Purity tests over social issues like abortion: Very bad and we need to reconsider hardline stances on issues like these if Democrats want to have a chance of winning by employing a 50 state strategy

Purity tests over issues like paid speeches: Very good, and fuck it if it ends up costing us elections or whatever because ethics and doing what's right matters more, and fuck any kind of neoliberal establishment Wall Street shill that's down for this type of thing.

Good to have confirmation though that all that "lol purity tests" stuff only extends to social issues and so-called identify politics after all, and as soon as we venture outside of them, they're right back in season. Good to know, especially that these purity tests are the ones that are so important and vital that they, unlike a candidate's stance in abortion, apply when someone isn't even running for office in the first place. Glad we've got that covered.

riotous

Banned
There's a massive distinction between someone who will never hold office again profiting off of businesses and someone who is running for the highest office profiting off of businesses. One of them could be responsible for policy decisions that effect the people that have been paying them, and one of them won't be making policy decisions.

If you can't see that distinction you have to be pretty blind.

There's also a pretty big distinction between being paid to speak somewhere and other kinds of business relations. You are paid for the speech, to provide some sort of expertise to the attendees of the event.

Ex "Real World" cast members get paid thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to speak places... would anyone assume it's to owe someone a favor?

When someone is in the senior leadership of a company that has benefited from their actions and will benefit from their future actions that is clearly a conflict of interest (like Dick Cheney going from Secretary of Starting Wars to CEO of Making Money from War Incorporated to Vice War Monger).

Getting paid to speak? It's not very meaningful.

Kvik

Obama is a good orator, why mustn't he make bank? Wall Street is paying anyway, they can afford it.

It's not like someone trying to make bank out of his club memberships :p

The people equating criticism to "he's just making money" are more embarassing than anything else that's been said in this thread.
What there to be critical of him about? He's no longer making policy, his money is now, gasp, a special interest himself.

A) half this goes to taxes thanks to laws he helped put in place and B) if he throws his weight behind the Democratic establishment and uses this money OT leverage things how exactly is this a net negative?

What I'm learning recently:

Purity tests over social issues like abortion: Very bad and we need to reconsider hardline stances on issues like these if Democrats want to have a chance of winning by employing a 50 state strategy

Purity tests over issues like paid speeches: Very good, and fuck it if it ends up costing us elections or whatever because ethics and doing what's right matters more, and fuck any kind of neoliberal establishment Wall Street shill that's down for this type of thing.

Good to have confirmation though that all that "lol purity tests" stuff only extends to social issues and so-called identify politics after all, and as soon as we venture outside of them, they're right back in season. Good to know, especially that these purity tests are the ones that are so important and vital that they, unlike a candidate's stance in abortion, apply when someone isn't even running for office in the first place. Glad we've got that covered.

It goes both ways. Or, more precisely, liberals and leftists have different priorities, so their purity tests differ.

Yoda

Disapproving of his actions makes someone a Marxist? Do you even know what that term means? It's not rocket science to see what is going on:
- Person in question had enormous influence in the regulation of said entities
- Regulation was lukewarm at best, I worked at one of the big ratings agencies when Dodd Frank took effect; there was nearly no change in our day to day operations. To top of it off, there were NO prosecutions for the 2008 crisis.
- Person in question leaves office, gets paid his old government salary for ~2 hours of "work"

(I'm aware of the face this isn't quid-pro-quo that can be proven in a court of law, that doesn't make it morally permissible)

If the center left really despises the emergence of populism, this is one of the most efficient ways to make sure it doesn't fade away between electoral cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom