• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

The CW pilots sound terrible. Then again, Nikita, Arrow, and Supernatural are awesome... and Cult looks good, so I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

But those shows just sound awful.

ivysaur12 said:
@TVGuideMagazine
ABC comedy pilot: SPY. To impress his smart son, man inadvertently takes a job with Secret Service. Simeon Goulden writer, based on UK show.

This is interesting. Watched the original on Hulu recently, and it's quite good

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is interesting. Watched the original on Hulu recently, and it's quite good

Hopefully the American version will actually deal with, you know, actual spy work. In the British version they just sit at a desk all day and work from a computer. It shouldn't even be called "Spy".

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When I think of a spy, I definitely do not think of the Secret Service. Sounds like if they did a real translation to the US he'd be joining the CIA instead. Pretty odd.

When I think of a spy, I definitely do not think of the Secret Service. Sounds like if they did a real translation to the US he'd be joining the CIA instead. Pretty odd.

The change is probably to make it easier to facilitate the fact that there will be little to no "spy work" as it's considered by American viewers.

Maybe, but that's not what most people are going to expect from a show called SPY and the opening credits suggest something Mission Impossible esque.

Well, just speaking to the British sitcom, I viewed it as part of the joke. Espionage has always been more Le Carre than Bond, or more Rubicon than Homeland. It seemed like a clever premise to hang a sitcom concept on.

ivysaur12

Banned
‏@franklinavenue
CW drama pilot: BLINK. Family drama told from POV of father in a coma, can't speak or move but can see and hear all. Vera Herbert writer.

‏@franklinavenue
CW drama pilot: THE TOMORROW PEOPLE. Based on UK series about humans with special powers. Phil Klemmer writer. Greg Berlanti, Julie Plec EPs

@TVMoJoe
Per industry insiders, the final pilot script for AMAZON (aka Wonder Woman) isn't in yet. CW may yet order for fall -- or midseason

The CW is done ordering pilots.

Link

The Autumn Wind
@franklinavenue
CW drama pilot: THE TOMORROW PEOPLE. Based on UK series about humans with special powers. Phil Klemmer writer. Greg Berlanti, Julie Plec EPs
Wow, I used to watch that show on Nickelodeon all the time. Had no idea it was from the UK.

beat

CW drama pilot: BLINK. Family drama told from POV of father in a coma, can't speak or move but can see and hear all. Vera Herbert writer.
"We'll only need one set!"

... I guess they'll use flashbacks a lot?

Wes

venison crêpe
That CW pilot "REIGN" sounds interesting to me. I can't see it being anything but a trainwreck.

anaron

The first scene is Mary playing an epic soccer match against Nuns in the 1500s, so that's as far as I got.

x7RNQ.gif
\

I need to see this realized

Intrigued by David Shore's Doubt. The premise doesn't excite me too much, but then neither did the premise of House, one of my favourite shows of all time. So with Shore writing, hopefully it'll be something special. Been waiting anxiously for his next move, hopefully his pilot is a success.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
This is the first time since 2009 that I haven't had to do a pilot and I'm thrilled. None of the networks' pickups have me intrigued.

I'm crossing my fingers that Blink goes to series because it sounds like such a terrible idea for network television. Scratch that, it's just a terrible idea in any format.

ivysaur12

Banned
‏@franklinavenue
NBC drama pilot: WONDERLAND. New updated take on the Alice in Wonderland tale. Whit Anderson writer. Anthony Zuiker among EPs.

This is the first time since 2009 that I haven't had to do a pilot and I'm thrilled. None of the networks' pickups have me intrigued.

I'm crossing my fingers that Blink goes to series because it sounds like such a terrible idea for network television. Scratch that, it's just a terrible idea in any format.

Me neither! Horay jobs!

I have Blink in the queue. I'm rooting for it because the woman who wrote is was an assistant, and I'm very much pro assistants getting bigger projects, but this is not a series.

ivysaur12

Banned
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

‏@franklinavenue
ABC drama pilot: BIG THUNDER. (Named after the ride.) 19th century NY doctor moves family to frontier minding town. Jason Fuchs writer.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

and this:

‏@franklinavenue
ABC drama pilot: GOTHICA. Sexy soap incorporating legends of Dracula, Jekyll & Hyde, Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, others. Matt Lopez writer.

lol. This thread is the first exposure I've gotten to the world of TV Pilots and I have to say it's pretty jarring to see the ideas that will never make the light of day. In contrast though it makes it startlingly clear as to why some of the terrible shows actually get pilots and worse off get picked up for seasons.

ivysaur12

Banned
‏@TVGuideMagazine
ABC drama pilot: RECKLESS. Problem solver must go to unconventional means to help free his wife overseas. Chris Black writer.

@TVGuideMagazine
ABC drama pilot: MURDER IN MANHATTAN. Hour-long dramedy about mom/daughter amateur sleuths. Maria Maggenti writer.

Well all righty then.

lol. This thread is the first exposure I've gotten to the world of TV Pilots and I have to say it's pretty jarring to see the ideas that will never make the light of day. In contrast though it makes it startlingly clear as to why some of the terrible shows actually get pilots and worse off get picked up for seasons.

Uh huh!

I love detective stuff but Murder in Manhattan will almost assuredly depend entirely on dialogue for me. For example I'm a huge Psych fan but can't stand The Mentalist.

ivysaur12

Banned
It’s been a very tough January spec market this season, with several scripts taken out and none of them selling. Until now. I’ve learned that, in a competitive situation with NBC and Fox bidding, Brenda Forever, a high-concept comedy script by writers Andrew Leeds and David Lampson, just landed at NBC with a pilot order. Casting on the project is yet to begin but I hear Ellie Kemper, who is close friends with Leeds and Lampson, has had informal conversations and is interested in playing the lead. That would be coup for the show as Kemper has been among the most sought-after actresses this pilot season.

Brenda Forever takes place in two time periods, following Brenda growing up as both a 31-year-old woman and a 13-year-old girl. The project was developed internally at Sony Pictures TV with studio-based Fedora Entertainment. Lampson, Leeds and Fedora’s Peter Tolan and Michael Wimer executive produce. Sony TV took a gamble with Leeds and Lampson, signing a deal with the duo back in April to develop a project in-house instead of going through the regular pitch process. It just paid off. Brenda Forever reunites Leeds and Lampson with NBC where they landed their first network pilot, the 2010 Rex Is Not Your Lawyer.

NBC now has 17 comedy pilots/presentations.

ivysaur12

Banned
@TVGuideMagazine
Fox drama pilot: WILD BLUE. Men and women on a U.S. aircraft carrier. Michael Dinner director. Taylor Elmore writer. Graham Yost among EPs.

@TVGuideMagazine
Fox drama pilot: GANG RELATED. Gang member infiltrates the San Francisco PD's gang task force. Chris Morgan writer. 20th TV, Imagine TV.

Fox is done with drama orders. These two sound interesting, will read.

Top Bottom