• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat In Time — How Are The Console Versions?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey GAF! I don’t have a gaming PC but this platformer has been a Steam favorite for awhile now, and as of a few days ago, it’s finally on PS4 and Xbox One! Did anyone notice? 🤔

My main concern is how it runs. I heard the developer was having a hard time optimizing for console and they couldn’t even hit 30FPS at times. This is curious, and from some of the reviews (there’s not many of the new console release) this port is a technical mess. My main concern is that it’s probably a deal-killer 30FPS on consoles... this will make it a no-go for me personally.

Is anyone playing it? And maybe share your impressions of how the console versions turned out, whether it’s 30 or 60FPS, glitches, other impressions?

I'm curious as well, held off on the steam version bc id rather have it on consoles, but now hearing a few bad things about the console versions. Can anyone vouch for or against them?

xviper

i'm having fun with the game, i'm playing it on base PS4 and it runs fine, maybe not constant 30FPS but close to it, sadly i have encountered multiple glitches like getting stuck inside an object or getting frozen forever when doing a bouncy jump with the ice hat

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
i'm having fun with the game, i'm playing it on base PS4 and it runs fine, maybe not constant 30FPS but close to it, sadly i have encountered multiple glitches like getting stuck inside an object or getting frozen forever when doing a bouncy jump with the ice hat
Well that’s a shame (about the technical stuff) but I’m glad you’re enjoying the game. Do you feel as though visually, the developers could’ve hit a higher framerate with a bit more time and technical finesse? I’ve seen videos of the game and it looks fairly simplistic, visually. Just curious about the proposition of a higher frame rate or optimization patch in the future. Probably unlikely, but I can dream :p

Shifty

Well that’s a shame (about the technical stuff) but I’m glad you’re enjoying the game. Do you feel as though visually, the developers could’ve hit a higher framerate with a bit more time and technical finesse? I’ve seen videos of the game and it looks fairly simplistic, visually. Just curious about the proposition of a higher frame rate or optimization patch in the future. Probably unlikely, but I can dream :p

The performance does seem like something they could fix, as the main dips I see on PC are when you're stood on the edge of a level and causing a ton of stuff to be rendered.
They could likely fix it with a more thorough LOD implementation if it's GPU-side and smarter distant object culling if it's CPU-side, but that's easy for me to say. Actually implementing it when you have a complete game to maintain is another thing entirely.

FWIW the dev seems pretty active with updates on steam, but so far they seem to be mainly bugfixes and preparation for modding support.

I've been meaning to get it on the PS4 as well, but glitches in a platformer really hamper the experience. Maybe I'll hold a bit in hopes of a patch. Game looks awesome though.

xviper

visually it's simple, the base PS4 can easily run it at a stable 60FPS, but maybe the developers lack the experience to achieve that

also there are camera problems, a lot of time you'd think you jumped right at a certain platform but suddenly you are 1 meters away from it, i don't know how to explain it, and the controls could have used more polish

if you are itching for a 3d platformer and don't have a switch, A hat in time is your best choice on PS4

trikster40

No problems here, runs fine. I wish the levels weren’t separated into chapters. I’d rather it have been like Mario, one level, multiple objectives, approach each whenever you want. Still really enjoying it though.

BANGS

Banned
This makes me sad. I was really looking forward to the PS4 version of this. Now I either have to get the PC version or wait for some serious patching...

Hopefully there are alot of fixes soon. I remember the PC version having plenty of glitches in reviews but nothing that actually ruined the game...

Top Bottom