• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Weevilone

Pondering what to do with the trading cards. Current thought is to toss them in the recycle bin. Really don't like the idea of completing yet another collection, and it sucks being sent duplicates of the same one in a shipment.

Shizuka

Pondering what to do with the trading cards. Current thought is to toss them in the recycle bin. Really don't like the idea of completing yet another collection, and it sucks being sent duplicates of the same one in a shipment.

Just save them and sent it to another member here whenever you get a handful.

Clive

I dislike throwing stuff away so I might just put up the stickers/trading cards/post cards(?) as a bundle on eBay for the cost of shipping in the end. Someone might be super happy to get to complete their collection or get some trading material. Or I'll just offer them here. I only plan to keep the ones from games that I really care about for myself.

I could personally give two craps about trading cards. I'll probably ship them to someone here at cost when I get them in future.

If LRG really wanted to get my attention they would make enamel pins :p

Moofers

Wait, so the trading cards aren't even tied to the game that was ordered?

For example, I could buy Night Trap in 2019 or whenever it hits, and get a card for Ys Origin instead because of the random system?

dgco86

Wait, so the trading cards aren't even tied to the game that was ordered?

For example, I could buy Night Trap in 2019 or whenever it hits, and get a card for Ys Origin instead because of the random system?

I think each game has 2 trading card designs. So if you order 1 copy, you get 1 of the 2 designs.

Weevilone

Trade them?

If I was interested in trading cards then I'd do that instead of video games.

I have an aversion to just throwing stuff away, but it's just silly clutter. Understand that some people enjoy it I guess. Lots of little annoyances adding up I suppose. Not a big deal, just mostly curious what others think. People dig the idea?

I think each game has 2 trading card designs. So if you order 1 copy, you get 1 of the 2 designs.

Or if you order both the Vita and PS4 versions of the same game, they might just give you duplicates of the same card.

I'll take them and pay shipping if you are really gonna junk them!

Trading cards are cool, but I'd much rather LRG get back to making the core packages* more special. A case with no manual is boring and screams bare minimum. What happened to really cool inserts like the giant map that came with Firewatch? Yes, I realize this may be somewhat out of LRG's hands and dependent on what each company decides to include, but I think LRG should at least insist on a full color manual or some other cool extra like that to make the physical packaging feel more special.

Then again, you have people who keep these games sealed like they're museum curators or raiders of the lost ark, so maybe it doesn't make any sense for LRG to include cool stuff in cases that won't ever be opened and will sell out in five minutes regardless? But as someone who opens these games, it would be nice to get more than just a case and disc. (Edit: Some games DO come with manuals - or at least inserts, like the two I received today - so I don't mean to imply that none of them include manuals.)

*By core packages, I mean anything that isn't classified as a collector's edition.

Shizuka

img_1819jrsg0.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to shoot for an LRG copy next week, but this makes a nice backup plan (if they have enough stock).

Yea I really hope enough stock stays around in case I miss out on a LRG one, annoying that it came out earlier I would have preferred to have that backup for after I knew whether I got one or not. :(

Yea I really hope enough stock stays around in case I miss out on a LRG one, annoying that it came out earlier I would have preferred to have that backup for after I knew whether I got one or not. :(
If PA's release sticks around through next week, I expect to see a cascade effect after LRG's stock is depleted. That version is going to be a consolation prize for a lot of people. Expect PA's stock to go quick shortly after LRG's.

So far I haven't had any trouble getting everything I've wanted from Limited Run, but I have a feeling this is going to be the first one I'm going to miss out on.

Shizuka

Limited Run Games is making a pretty hot mess on Twitter by trying to discredit Heavy Arms and their distributor just to be the sole manufacturer/seller of the Ys Origin limited edition.

Limited Run Games is making a pretty hot mess on Twitter by trying to discredit Heavy Arms and their distributor just to be the sole manufacturer/seller of the Ys Origin limited edition.

No, we aren't.

We want people to be informed and not buy the wrong version due to false information.

You are seriously twisting this right now.

joe2187

Banned

Not sure how you gleaned that from the twitter thread, seeing as they're just trying to clear up some confusion.

What I understand is

- CE Image for Ys is shown as being multi-language
- LRG is concerned since it might be incorrect information
- Contacts Heavy arm for clarification.
- Heavy arm and LRG communicate information to sort out the confusion.

I dont see anything of the sort of what you describe, it's pretty cynical of you to think so.

Not sure how you gleaned that from the twitter thread, seeing as they're just trying to clear up some confusion.

What I understand is

- CE Image for Ys is shown as being multi-language
- LRG is concerned since it might be incorrect information
- Contacts Heavy arm for clarification.
- Heavy arm and LRG communicate information to sort out the confusion.

I dont see anything of the sort of what you describe, it's pretty cynical of you to think so.

It's literally only to inform people that, that version is not in English like it was described. I would personally be upset if I bought it thinking it was English but it turned out to be Korean only.

Shizuka

No, we aren't.

We want people to be informed and not buy the wrong version due to false information.

You are seriously twisting this right now.

Come on now. You seriously can't just say "it's because we're also customers and we wouldn't want people buying a product not as advertised" when it's a direct competitor to a product you'll be selling around the same time.

I can get most of the stuff you do, but zooming in on a small retailer like Heavy Arms because of a limited edition and questioning both them and their distributor? Why not focusing on actually getting contracts that avoid this kind of stuff? Cre-Spirit screwed you, the Ghost Blade HD developer screwed you, DotEmu screwed you twice and it's all the fault of Heavy Arms distributor selling the limited edition in Asia?

You guys seriously need a lawyer or someone knowledgeable to make better contracts in the future and avoid messes like this going forward.

joe2187

Banned
Come on now. You seriously can't just say "it's because we're also customers and we wouldn't want people buying a product not as advertised" when it's a direct competitor to a product you'll be selling around the same time.

I can get most of the stuff you do, but zooming in on a small retailer like Heavy Arms because of a limited edition and questioning both them and their distributor? Why not focusing on actually getting contracts that avoid this kind of stuff? Cre-Spirit screwed you, the Ghost Blade HD developer screwed you, DotEmu screwed you twice and it's all the fault of Heavy Arms distributor selling the limited edition in Asia?

You guys seriously need a lawyer or someone knowledgeable to make better contracts in the future and avoid messes like this going forward.

You're showing your ass right now, and not in a good way.

You're also extremely wrong in this case since as shown in the above posts, LRG was correct and the information given to heavy-arm was false.

But do please continue.

Heavy Arms is selling the Korean version, not the Asian version.

We are just trying to keep people informed. We follow Heavy Arms and people also kept bringing this to our attention as well as DotEmu and Arc System Works. Which is why they announced it was Korean only.

We aren't worried about our sales because we know people would probably double dip anyway and that again, it was Korean only.

Also, yes we are fans I 100% mean that I wouldn't want to buy it and it turns out to be the wrong thing. You don't have to believe that but that is the truth.

Clive

I 100% hope that LRG isn't going to be strict or bring in lawyers to prevent Asian releases of "their" games. I want them to encourage them, or at least not try to prevent them. I love physical media and I want it to be easily accessible and affordable for everyone for a long time. Competition is fantastic and helps to keep market prices in check. Why any LRG collector would want to prevent Asian English releases is beyond me unless all they care for is their own selfish need to scalp or be able to brag about the rarity of their games and how much their collection is worth. The attitude of wanting to prevent more people to have access to physical copies of these games frankly pisses me off.

If you feel ArcSys offers the better deal, buy from them. Don't whine about it.

Maybe DotEmu and LRG were in agreement about Asian releases when they signed? I'm not going to lie and claim I know it's an issue because I don't know either way.

When you are proven wrong, you apologize, you do not take things further.

Tapejara

Strictly speaking that isn't what that tweet actually says.
It says there IS an Asian Collector's Edition FOR Korea that's ONLY IN Korean (and is being released by Arc Sys).
It doesn't say the ONLY Asian Collector's Edition is Korean.

The plot thickens! I assumed DotEmu meant the one Heavy Arms/LRG were referring to because they tweeted it around the time the Twitter convo was happening.

Edit: unless you mean DotEmu is saying the one from Heavy Arms is in Korean, but you can still buy an Asian LE in English from other retailers?

I'm confused lol.

Semoreh

HeavyArms are not a "direct competitor" in this case since the game is NOT in English but in Korean. Nobody's trying to discredit anybody ; although to be fair your kinda discrediting yourself on this one, Shizuka :p
Unless there's been further development we don't know about.

@Clive : LRG has never actively prevented the release of any game and doesn't want to. The developers CAN have their game published again after a run has been done, no problem. The problems only arise with dishonest simultaneous releases with no warning, because it forces them to change their sales estimates. That's a rare situation though. The most recent was Ghost Blade. The first was the Silver Case. I don't think a distopy with an army of lawyers is what's awaiting us ^^

I 100% hope that LRG isn't going to be strict or bring in lawyers to prevent Asian releases of "their" games. I want them to encourage them, or at least not try to prevent them. I love physical media and I want it to be easily accessible and affordable for everyone for a long time. Competition is fantastic and helps to keep market prices in check. Why any LRG collector would want to prevent Asian English releases is beyond me unless all they care for is their own selfish need to scalp or be able to brag about the rarity of their games and how much their collection is worth. The attitude of wanting to prevent more people to have access to physical copies of these games frankly pisses me off.

If you feel ArcSys offers the better deal, buy from them. Don't whine about it.

Maybe DotEmu and LRG were in agreement about Asian releases when they signed? I'm not going to lie and claim I know it's an issue because I don't know either way.

When you are proven wrong, you apologize, you do not take things further.

We're not doing anything involving lawyers, we were told by DotEmu that an Asian CE would exist and that it would only be available in Korean. When this popped up, we asked DotEmu about it. They were surprised and contacted Arc System Works. Arc System Works further confirmed that the ONLY Asian CE is Korean and is only available in Korea. When HeavyArm showed more of the image they were supplied, it showed the distributor as H2 Interactive. For further, and final, clarification - we reached out to them to see if an Asian English CE existed. They said that they are 100% only selling the CE in Korea. It sounds like at some point they looked into a CE for wider Asian distribution, but rolled back those plans (nothing to do with us or this situation) and that retailers/distributors may have outdated information.

It's important for us to be aware of all overlapping English releases so that our print runs can be appropriately set. If an Asian English CE exists, that would have to seriously factor into our planned run size for the CE. It's vital for us to confirm the existence of a CE whose sales would overlap ours. This isn't a case of bullying or discrediting anyone. We talk to HeavyArm frequently - we're not sitting here saying that they are scamming people. We're letting them know that their distributor has incorrect information.

We've been told by all three parties that are involved with the supposed Asian English CE and all three have said it doesn't exist. Unless someone from DotEmu, Arc System Works, or H2 Interactive is not being truthful with us - that's the end of the story.

We haven't blocked a CE or taken legal action to block a CE. We've never done that for a release and never will.

We're not doing anything involving lawyers, we were told by DotEmu that an Asian CE would exist and that it would only be available in Korean. When this popped up, we asked DotEmu about it. They were surprised and contacted Arc System Works. Arc System Works further confirmed that the ONLY Asian CE is Korean and is only available in Korea. When HeavyArm showed more of the image they were supplied, it showed the distributor as H2 Interactive. For further, and final, clarification - we reached out to them to see if an Asian English CE existed. They said that they are 100% only selling the CE in Korea. It sounds like at some point they looked into a CE for wider Asian distribution, but rolled back those plans (nothing to do with us or this situation) and that retailers/distributors may have outdated information.

It's important for us to be aware of all overlapping English releases so that our print runs can be appropriately set. If an Asian English CE exists, that would have to seriously factor into our planned run size for the CE. It's vital for us to confirm the existence of a CE whose sales would overlap ours. This isn't a case of bullying or discrediting anyone. We talk to HeavyArm frequently - we're not sitting here saying that they are scamming people. We're letting them know that their distributor has incorrect information.

We've been told by all three parties that are involved with the supposed Asian English CE and all three have said it doesn't exist. Unless someone from DotEmu, Arc System Works, or H2 Interactive is not being truthful with us - that's the end of the story.

We haven't blocked a CE or taken legal action to block a CE. We've never done that for a release and never will.

Yeah, I think that's happened here.

I feel sorry for Heavy Arm, they can only work with the information they got from their distributor. I'm in regular contact with them, and they told me, that they got a lot of unnecessary bad feedback from the whole situation.

Top Bottom