• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

No platform holder is going to release a $599 system, or a $499 system for that matter.

The market resoundingly responded "No."

If either Sony or Microsoft do so, they do so at their peril and deserve to go down in flames.

Marketing wise it would be dreadful. Nothing with a 5 will get past public mockery.

Corto

People said this over and over before Wii U specs finally came out, only to discover that Nintendo was literally using the slowest, cheapest RAM available.

But Nintendo doesn't care. Microsoft and Sony can't risk to be overshadowed in terms of specs by each other.

eso76

Is this still accurate ?

78a.jpg

Because those GPU's in a console sound pretty friggin good to me

DerZuhälter;46192914 said:
Don't see what people are getting excited about. 8 cores @ 1.6Ghz sounds like a travesty to me. Will be crushed by iPhone7/ SGalaxy5 the way mobile cpus are developing.

Oh man... classic. Lolz.

Comandr

Marketing wise it would be dreadful. Nothing with a 5 will get past public mockery.

I respectfully disagree. I think if you can dazzle people with and get a "Wow!" from the crowd with graphics and features, people will just start throwing their wallets. $599 every 5-8-10 years is NOT bad. If you can't afford it, but you want to enjoy the latest and greatest, by all means, take up another job. Gaming is one of the most expensive habits there is, its always been that way, and probably always will be that way.

I, personally, would easily pay $599 for a truly powerful next gen console that was going to last me a long time, and integrate heavily into my entertainment life.

lherre

Accurate
do you think ms did this to sounds "cool" and name the xbox,xbox 8 over the ps4?
using jaguar cores and ddr3

or it will be pretty powerful,u speculate??

:)

As I said before without an architecture model and information about the custom hardware this specs are meaningless (or at least not accurate).

I think both machines will be powerful.

Curufinwe

Your thoughts worry me. Don't wont them to rush it out again like the 360 and have tons of rrods

Well, there will be eight years between the next Xbox and the launch of the 360, and there were only four years between the 360 and the original Xbox.

So you can't really accuse them of rushing it this time.

ekim

I'm curious if anyone in this thread/forum got their hands on a Durango XDK/ works on it for a living.

Curufinwe

No platform holder is going to release a $599 system, or a $499 system for that matter.

The market resoundingly responded "No."

If either Sony or Microsoft do so, they do so at their peril and deserve to go down in flames.

Launching with a $399 base model and a $499 deluxe model could work for the first year when they will be supply constrained anyway. Then they drop the price for Holiday 2014.

People said this over and over before Wii U specs finally came out, only to discover that Nintendo was literally using the slowest, cheapest RAM available.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I know my basics in terms of off-the-shelf hardware but I don't know jackshit when it comes to console hardware, as it always ends up being such a fascinating read on why they can't meet up the arbitrary requirements and if they do, it'll be more efficient to go for a faster but smaller in number RAM than going for a bigger RAM but slower.

iplay5150

Honestly, $499 would be ok by me. If there's a noticeable jump in visuals and the new features sound appealing, then fuck it. This gen has went on way too long, I'll throw down 500 bones no problem.

All these rumours are lacking in specifics.

Presuming it's 16-way parallel per previous rumours it wouldn't be jaguar cores, though.

The GPU info is still too vague. I wonder when spec leakers will realise that just family affiliation is kind of meaningless.

(Also, I'm sort of a bit skeptical of rumours that talk about 8xxx given that it turns out that line is just a rebadging of 7xxx architecture chips, supposedly? 8xxx was a popular reference point in speculation because we thought that was 'next-gen', Sea Islands architecture, but turns out it's not...right?)

And besides it could perfectly be 8800M, so the famous 1-1,5 tflops cape verde...

Curufinwe

Honestly, $499 would be ok by me. If there's a noticeable jump in visuals and the new features sound appealing, then fuck it. This gen has went on way too long, I'll throw down 500 bones no problem.

$500 would be fine by me provided it had a two or three-year warranty.

Not the 90-day shit the 360 launched with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
8 core cpu and that modern a GPU seems ridiculous to me.

The 8800 series would still only be like less than $200 consumer price GPUs. I imagine that would be significantly lower in cost for Microsoft.

AMD renumbered their cards so the current era X800's are the old x700's.

These threads always suck me in and give me false hope.

God knows what i'd do if Forza 5 did look like that.

E3 will surely deliver, let's just wait.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Do you think MS has literally designed this systems innards to make for the perfect "EVERYTHING IS 8" announcement trailer, where the 8gb, 8 cores, 8800 GPU, and Windows 8 OS all turn sideways into the Xbox ∞

I think some people just read "8 cores" or "8 GB" and think "expensive", without putting it in the proper context. The memory is very likely DDR3, which is dirt cheap. And, for example, a 4-core ARM SoC costs $15, so 2 of those would be $30. It's not that simple, but it's a closer mental model to Jaguar than the i5/i7 behemoths that people think of when they hear "CPU cores".
Even if they were to get i5's or i7's, they dont pay the same price as us, get would get a special mass production cost.

Yeah the GPU will be custom. MS and Sony, their R&D teams (full of HW engineers) work directly with AMD to build something that is based on AMD tech, but is different in the end.

Xenos for example.

Edit:

Also, supposedly, isn't it going to be a split pool of ram? As in, it will include some amount of GDDr5, and edram too? (aside from ddr3/ddr4)
Come to think of it, isn't there that rumor that it will also have the Xbox 360 CPU to allow full backwards compatibility?

McHuj

I'm going to predict that both the CPU and GPU will have quiet a few customizations from MS. It's not going to be off-the-shelf Jaguar cores and off-the-shelf GPU. We've heard to many rumors of that.

But also, MS has hired too many chip architects for me to simply believe that they'll go with a completely off-the-shelf solution. Those guys are at MS for a reason, MS was very involved with the 360 CPU design, and I think they will be here as well.

Erethian

Launching with a $399 base model and a $499 deluxe model could work for the first year when they will be supply constrained anyway. Then they drop the price for Holiday 2014.

There's way more competition in the market than there was when the 360 and PS3 launched, so a cent over $400 would be a huge mistake. Personally I think that even $400 is a bit of a gamble.

Also none of the console manufacturers want to be dropping the price a year after launch if these are going to be heavy loss-leading consoles.

Top Bottom