• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepads are region locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

99%

This is a smart move from Nintendo to make sure their customers get the best support.

You dont want customer support channels to be full of potential probelms provided by having inter regional controllers.

A very bold and minimalistic move not unlike apple, just having total control of the experience, just like miiverse is proving to be great thanks to moderation im sure this too will prove a good move.

I'm in inquiry mode, where I would like to know why they did it too. But until I know, I'm not going to be arm-chair ceo and say it was a stupid decision.
Unless there are significant differences in core hardware between each regions controller this shouldn't be a problem. Software differences can be altered with little effort.

Fularu

Banned
I can see people buying limited edition gamepads beeing upset about it.

but that's prety much it.

wonder if it has something to do with FCC and CE certifications

Aeana

This is a smart move from Nintendo to make sure their customers get the best support.

You dont want customer support channels to be full of potential probelms provided by having inter regional controllers.

A very bold and minimalistic move not unlike apple, just having total control of the experience, just like miiverse is proving to be great thanks to moderation im sure this too will prove a good move.

That wouldn't happen anyway, since as people have pointed out, it's actually a minority issue. But even though it's a minority issue, that also doesn't mean it's a non-issue.

Kyoufu

This affects me sadly. That is if I need to buy another GamePad in the future. I'd have to end up importing it. :(

Nohar

... I actually /facepalmed in real life. This is unnecessary.

*sigh* Nintendo is going a bit too far with their region locked policies.

Somnid

http://rocketnews24.com/2012/12/25/279608/

Having read this article, it does say the US pad will sync up with a Japanese Wii U, but that it requires the firmware in the US pad to be the latest Japanese firmware for it to sync, however, it won't [yet/ever] download onto the US pad.

The article also ends stating that it may be possible for it to work, depending on the method.

This is exactly what I thought. You have a language specific firmware that don't work most likely due to classic Nintendo compatibility overprotection. Basically nobody was going to do it so nobody was going to QA it and make sure it works so they just blocked it off.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
There's not much to understand honestly.

It will affect very few people. The fact that it affects anyone is the problem. First region locked controller in gaming history. Won't hurt many, but why set the precedent?

Unless there are significant hardware differences between each regions controller this should be a problem fixed with syncing and firmware updates.

It should not be a problem in a consumer model product.
its not.

Unless there are significant hardware differences between each regions controller this should be a problem fixed with syncing and firmware updates.

It should not be a problem in a consumer model product.
Considering all the Wii U's are probably made in a FoxConn worker colony like every other piece of consumer electronics I doubt that being the case. It also appears from what I understand that the controller is connecting to the Wii U, but it's just can't get the firmware?

Ergo, what exactly are people referring to in terms of legal or technical issues that this addresses?

Are other consumer electronics that use WiFi subject to similar regulation? Is a UK iPad or Kindle region locked against use in the US?

I'm curious, does this mean that if in the future a "homebrew channel" or whatever enables the Wii U console to be region free that this would become an issue? I hope that whenever the system is hacked to be region free that they have a solution for the gamepad too. It would stink to need to own muliple gamepads otherwise.

Then give me one GOOD reason why someone needs a controller outside of their region?

I live in a region where both NTSC and PAL Wii U consoles are imported, last Wii controller I got was form HK. It was a normal shop with an imported controller.

My PS3 controllers are not all PAL either.

this nonsense pisses me off.

Nintendo wasted time and money to make sure the gamepads are region locked, for no damn logical reason other than to have them region locked, which takes away time and money they could have used to address other major issues with the Wii U.

Talk about cutting your own nose off to spite your face. Wow

Edit -
Anyone defending this is beyond belief. You'd rather have nintendo spend time and money on region locking the gamepads instead of fixing the slow OS or securing more third party support?

Coxy

When people call gamers a bunch of entitled whiners, this thread is a perfect example of what they are talking about.

please explain in detail exactly how I am an "entitled whiner" based on my situation as explained earlier in the topic, thanks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Nintendo wasted time and money to make sure the gamepads are region locked, for no damn logical reason other than to have them region locked, which takes away time and money they could have used to address other major issues with the Wii U.

Edit -
Anyone defending this is beyond belief. You'd rather have nintendo spend time and money on region locking the gamepads instead of fixing the slow OS or securing more third party support?

On the other extreme, you seem to be assuming that turning a bit on somewhere in the firmware that tells a U pad what region it is, is somehow taking away all these massive resources that could have otherwise been used to improve the Wii U experience tenfold.

On the other extreme, you seem to be assuming that turning a bit on somewhere in the firmware that tells a U pad what region it is, is somehow taking away all these massive resources that could have otherwise been used to improve the Wii U experience tenfold.

True, but there is a middle ground. Having the gamepads region locked doesn't come free or was an afterthought.

Business people needed to have made it a requirement in the Wii U plans that the gamepads are region locked; the technical teams had to design and develop the Wii U gamepads to be region locked; and the testers had to test the gamepads were region locked.

These little feature probably adds up to $10,000+ if not closer to $100,000 in time and effort.

This feature was given more precedent that having a faster OS. All this effort for a feature that is ENTIRELY pointless.

jmls1121

Banned
I was gonna enjoy myself and play some Nintendoland tonight, but this region lock fiasco has destroyed all my excitement for the Wii U. Thanks Nintendo!

Why are people seeing this as an issue at all? This isn't Nintendo being evil or greedy. In the US at least, the consoles and the Gamepads fall under a metric TON of FCC regulations. One example is the fact that Nintendo is not licensed to use the radio frequencies the system uses to communicate with the Gamepad outdoors, which is one of the reasons for the limitation of how far the signal reaches. There are other laws regarding the amount of shielding that is needed in the controllers, laws about which frequencies can be used, and even laws about how much interference the controllers should accept from other sources.

That's just the US. I'd be pretty dang sure Japan has its own, different rules and regulations, same with Europe. This is most likely the biggest reason for the region locking.

Great point, people need to understand that the Wii U pad isnt a normal controller. Nintendo is just following regulations.

BrettHD

Banned

Edit -

Exactly what I thought - you have to wonder about how they decided to prioritise different aspects of the wii u during its development.

Well the controller is only sold with the system right? So it shouldn't cause most people any problems. It is hilarious though.

zroid

Banned
The theme of a lot of posts in this thread, yours included, is that we shouldn't complain about one issue when there are bigger issues. That's dumb. We can complain about all of them at once. Smaller issues aren't suddenly non-issues just because a larger one exists.

With respect to this, my only point is that it quite literally is a non-issue at the moment. It isn't even possible to obtain a controller that is not compatible with your console, and if you were to (somehow), you would have no use for it.

That's not to say it won't become a problem at some point, but I think before lambasting Nintendo for a decision which affects no one (right now), it may be prudent to learn why it was made. We know why they region lock software, for example, and it sucks, and it's anti-consumer, and all of that. Their rationale is an insufficient defense for the practise.

For this, who knows?

Bukana

Region locked controllers, I guess Nintendo is the only company that keeps surprising me with its 'lol'y decisions.

Talwind

I dont even think its that hard to understand. Nintendo didn't purposely region lock the controller(read the actual article). The gamepad is not just a dumb input device, it actually has its own firmware.

Im willing to bet there will be various iterations of firmware upgrades, and they would differ slightly for each region because of various reasons(FCC, unknown hardware differences between regions, etc..). Its more likely that Nintendo thinks allowing the user to mix and match various regions' firmware installs could cause the Gamepad to brick and be unsuable. They'd be in a lot more shit for that.

Aeana

With respect to this, my only point is that it quite literally is a non-issue at the moment. It isn't even possible to obtain a controller that is not compatible with your console, and if you were to (somehow), you would have no use for it.

That's not to say it won't become a problem at some point, but I think before lambasting Nintendo for a decision which affects no one (right now), it may be prudent to learn why it was made. We know why they region lock software, for example, and it sucks, and it's anti-consumer, and all of that. Their rationale is an insufficient defense for the practise.

For this, who knows?

Clearly it is possible, since that's how it was discovered in the first place. At this point, the most likely scenario for running into this issue is in the case of buying a separate system in order to bypass the stupid region lock to begin with.

Pikma

Banned
What a piece of shit this is Nintendo, looks like I won't be able to use my recently imported martian gamepad, how the fuck I'm supposed to play with two pads then huh? here in Jupiter the gamepads are not available yet. Fuck you Iwata for always fucking with us, and fuck Miyamoto for ruining my games, and fuck Reggie for being Reggie.

zroid

Banned
Clearly it is possible, since that's how it was discovered in the first place. At this point, the most likely scenario for running into this issue is in the case of buying a separate system in order to bypass the stupid region lock to begin with.

Sure, but the owner of that system naturally had two consoles and two GamePads. Even if you bought a separate system, you'd have two GamePads.

yup, countries and regulations, that must be it.

In the meantime i can use whatever XBOX 360 controller in different region systems, so are ps3, and wiimotes.

People need to be furious that Nintendo wasted time and money on this pointless limitation that people are so eager to point out that will affect no one.

zroid

Banned
People need to be furious that Nintendo wasted time and money on this pointless limitation that people are so eager to point out that will affect no one.

It it's pointless, why did they do it? There has to be a point. It could be a good or a bad one, but there is clearly a reason.

StayDead

I'm really confused why this is a problem?

You can't buy new gamepads anyway currently so how on earth would you get a gamepad from another region to your console?

Bgamer90

Banned
I was gonna enjoy myself and play some Nintendoland tonight, but this region lock fiasco has destroyed all my excitement for the Wii U. Thanks Nintendo!

Oh please.

The overboard defense posts are really getting ridiculous in terms of Wii U threads in which the main topic is about a certain issue/problem. There are always these types of posts in threads dealing with a certain aspect of the Wii U that some may be impacted by which thus can be a bit disappointing to them (something which can been seen in this thread from at least one poster) but some just love to take it to another level and act as if a person who is interested in some of Nintendo's games can't find the things that Nintendo does to be questionable.

Also, the whole "You can't talk about what you find disappointing in a product if you don't own it" defense is flawed too; especially if the disappointing aspects causes someone to, you know... hold off on getting the product. It's basically saying, "Buy it first! THEN be disappointed!" What sense does that make?

Edit: Banned. Seems like someone else feels similar.

OryoN

Ouch! you guys felt that too? I.. I think the sky is falling...

7 pages and I haven't seen a single post suggesting why this is a major issue.

Common, it's not that hard to think of a scenario beyond the "because it's Nintendo"slogan, is it?

A regional lock on a game controller is weird, to say the least. On the other hand, this isn't you're typical controller either. If the screen independently displays any form of text - even the slightest, - then that may be reason enough for Nintendo to region lock it. This is especially true IF it has it's own firmware, or any other independent features Nintendo has yet to reveal(it does have a cpu of some sort, afterall).

Whether you sympathize with the choice to lock, scorn it, or don't even give a damn, is one thing - but it sure is weird seeing people convincing themselves that this was all a "pointless" act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom