• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Squishy3

Yea, the lowest one was less then 1050 for 193 drg (I'm pretty sure I barely crit) and the others were like 1120-1150 without food. With the ss food I hit 1250-1298, so I guess it's incorrect to say a 250 increase because I don't know how the bad one happened. I'm sure I didn't mess the rotation up on it either.
I'm at or around the skill speed cap and last I checked I parse around 1220 on a dummy without food, and I was parsing around 1150-70 when I was in the mid-180s without food. Skill speed cap for Dragoons is whatever number gets you to 2.40/2.39s GCD, as that's supposed to maximize your Geirskogul usage.

Sitting at i196 right now, btw.

Sifl

I'm at or around the skill speed cap and last I checked I parse around 1220 on a dummy without food, and I was parsing around 1150-70 when I was in the mid-180s without food. Skill speed cap for Dragoons is whatever number gets you to 2.40/2.39s GCD, as that's supposed to maximize your Geirskogul usage.

Sitting at i196 right now, btw.
What is the ss cap/ is your ss? I'm still using 180 pants and belt with eso everything else and Alex earrings+Ring. My ss is 611.

studyguy

From what I remember they were considering getting rid of them with the 3.0 expansion. Apparently they decided to keep them at the last minute.

I'm sure the decision has something to do with spreadsheets.

I'm sure there's some obscure reason related to something ingame being tied to them existing that stopped their removal but still. They should have been removed when they did away with elemental resistances post 1.23

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Events are fine as they are IMO. It took more time getting that broom mount than I've spent trick or treating in real life.

But some WoW events are actually fun and they come with all sorts of achievements. That kind of thing would be far more entertaining than "Do some fates or a quest or two"

It'd just be nice to have something a little more I guess. Granted, holidays are super low priority too so...

WolvenOne

Holiday Events Pro and Cons

Pro: The seasonal items are often cute or neat.
Pro: Tends to be an excellent opportunity to goof off or play in-game dress up.
Pro: The Cutscenes are often amusing.

Con: Lacks longevity
Con: not particularly dynamic content.

That sound about right?

Ken

But some WoW events are actually fun and they come with all sorts of achievements. That kind of thing would be far more entertaining than "Do some fates or a quest or two"

It'd just be nice to have something a little more I guess. Granted, holidays are super low priority too so...

Sure, if they can make better events then they should. I'm just saying that as someone who doesn't really do most holidays the events in game and "good enough" for me with the low time commitment.

Squishy3

What is the ss cap/ is your ss? I'm still using 180 pants and belt with eso everything else and Alex earrings+Ring. My ss is 611.
Okay, you're not that far off from me then, I'm sitting at 615, according to Dervy/Thendiel's theorycrafting 590 is the "cap" but getting a 2.39s/2.40s GCD gives you more leeway to deal with mechanics and makes keeping up BoTD a lot easier, as well as ensuring Heavy Thrust will never wear off. I'm using the Advanced Opener listed in this post, then doing the normal rotation and popping oGCDs as they come off cooldown.

For my gear I'm nearly in full Eso except for the Belt and accessories, I opted to skip getting the belt one week to get the Eso ring instead because that let me keep the Alex ring on instead of having to use the upgraded Law ring to get a 2.40s GCD, and it gives me crit and determination instead of accuracy and skill speed. (both of which I already had enough of) I think I'll probably skip getting the Eso earrings and bracelets also because they replace skill speed with accuracy, and the Eso earrings have a worse Determination value than the Alex earrings.

Tomat

That sound about right?
The items and stuff are usually great, it's just that the activities itself are lacking IMO.

It's funny because WoW has almost the opposite problem. Most of the items from holidays there are garbage but the activities are fun.

studyguy

I don't really see what they could do differently on the holiday events. I mean realistically I don't expect them to have anymore than a small quest chain and some goodies at the end of the day.

studyguy

FFX-MagusSisters.jpg

Sifl

Drg stuff
I've watched videos but never saw that thread, it looks like I'm doing the Gierskogul stuff correctly though. The food I used for the highest parse was nq Deep Fried Okeanis, which gives 30 ss and 11 det. Some of the other parses were with hq eft steak, which is 26 ss and acc. If I'm over the 590 cap, why is it effecting my dps by such a huge amount? Also I'm actually using 180 necklace, not eso.

Squishy3

I've watched videos but never saw that thread, it looks like I'm doing the Gierskogul stuff correctly though. The food I used for the highest parse was nq Deep Fried Okeanis, which gives 30 ss and 11 det. Some of the other parses were with hq eft steak, which is 26 ss and acc. If I'm over the 590 cap, why is it effecting my dps by such a huge amount? Also I'm actually using 180 necklace, not eso.
Yeah, I don't know why it's affecting it by that much. Skill speed doesn't affect dot tick rate that much... right?

scy

If I'm over the 590 cap, why is it effecting my dps by such a huge amount? Also I'm actually using 180 necklace, not eso.

It's not a "cap" in that going over it doesn't do anything. There's still issues with latency to be dealt with. These are breakpoints to be reached, not caps, so more of a minimum to be reached for the intended effect.

Also, it shouldn't be increasing your DPS by that much. That's a like 11% increase and the raw damage increase there is the equivalent of something like 3 full Full Thrust combos. All for the rough equivalent of like 4 main stat.

Squishy3

It's not a "cap" in that going over it doesn't do anything. There's still issues with latency to be dealt with. These are breakpoints to be reached, not caps, so more of a minimum to be reached for the intended effect.

Also, it shouldn't be increasing your DPS by that much. That's a like 11% increase and the raw damage increase there is the equivalent of something like 3 full Full Thrust combos. All for the rough equivalent of like 4 main stat.
Yeah, I mentioned that. It's more like a soft cap and not a hard cap, where going over it still has benefits just after a point (when you hit the 2.40/2.39s skill speed) there isn't really a point because your rotation is looping perfectly and theoretically no benefit is to be gained with the current amount of skill speed attainable.

Now, when skill speeds might become ridiculous between gear skill speed and stuff like Fey Wind we might be able to use Geirskogul everytime it's off CD while still keeping BoTD up.

Speaking of latency, holy hell has it been terrible for me between today and yesterday. Hope it's not like this when 3.1 comes out.

Teknoman

That sound about right?

I still wish holiday events would pull RO and have themed strong boss enemies. But then dataminers would probably spoil it >_>

WolvenOne

I still wish holiday events would pull RO and have themed strong boss enemies. But then dataminers would probably spoil it >_>

Eh, the broom mount was a surprise for a lot of players until it was revealed directly on the Lodestone. So that isn't a big deal.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't really see what they could do differently on the holiday events. I mean realistically I don't expect them to have anymore than a small quest chain and some goodies at the end of the day.

Rethemed bosses and dungeons for glamour. Or special bosses. Special challenges during the event (clear dungeon in such and such time for gil/prizes). Special big FATEs for prizes similar to mounts and such. Special crafting recipes for themed glamour.

There's plenty of things.

Teknoman

Rethemed bosses and dungeons for glamour. Or special bosses. Special challenges during the event (clear dungeon in such and such time for gil/prizes). Special big FATEs for prizes similar to mounts and such. Special crafting recipes for themed glamour.

There's plenty of things.

sweet themed cooperative and competitive minigames with glamour rewards and event titles.

Bingo. Don't get stuck in the Vana'diel rut.

Nasser

I skipped the battle where you fight Ultima Weapon, but now it's required to get into Alexander savage. I tired using the Duty Finder and it said the waiting time was more than 30 mins. Well then guess I won't be playing Alexander savage

Redx508

I skipped the battle where you fight Ultima Weapon, but now it's required to get into Alexander savage. I tired using the Duty Finder and it said the waiting time was more than 30 mins. Well then guess I won't be playing Alexander savage

ask your fc for help Ultima takes less than 5mins

Teknoman

How did you skip that? Unless you mean Ultima Hard Mode? The regular is a story requirement.

Isaccard

GAF,

Long story short I've completely lost my UI and don't have any pictures of it either. PM or post some pics for inspiration pls?

-Love, some guy

sgjackson

Thinking of grabbing this to play with an old WoW friend. Right now I'm looking at ending up as a White Mage as I enjoy healing and I do not want to be a pet class/bubble healer which is what Scholar sounds like based on my cursory scan of skills, but any specific tips for healing or just getting into the game in general are appreciated (especially coming from a WoW background).

I have a feeling there's a newbie section in the OP I missed but I'm about to hit the hay and I'll look for it tomorrow.

Ken

How does one lose a UI? o.0

System change. UI isn't saved on the server.

Thinking of grabbing this to play with an old WoW friend. Right now I'm looking at ending up as a White Mage as I enjoy healing and I do not want to be a pet class/bubble healer which is what Scholar sounds like based on my cursory scan of skills, but any specific tips for healing or just getting into the game in general are appreciated (especially coming from a WoW background).

I have a feeling there's a newbie section in the OP I missed but I'm about to hit the hay and I'll look for it tomorrow.

WHM is the standard healer archetype with powerful single and AoE heals and HoTs but not many other tricks to them.

SCH is the mitigation healer with a pet.

AST is the hybrid between the two (although closer to WHM cause no pet) but you need the expansion and a level 50 job already.

Healing's pretty fun since everything is scripted so you'll spend a lot of time getting down a rhythm and getting down a cast rotation. Also XIV healers are usually expected to contribute to raid DPS.

dramatis

GAF,

Long story short I've completely lost my UI and don't have any pictures of it either. PM or post some pics for inspiration pls?

-Love, some guy
Have you tried searching your own post history?

At least I'm pretty sure you definitely posted a screen with your UI in it before. If your search history is too bulky, try finding the FF14 threads and then clicking the post count, and afterwards clicking your name to get only your posts in the thread.

Isaccard

System change. UI isn't saved on the server.

Protip: Apparently there's an option to back it up in the launcher.

Have you tried searching your own post history?

At least I'm pretty sure you definitely posted a screen with your UI in it before. If your search history is too bulky, try finding the FF14 threads and then clicking the post count, and afterwards clicking your name to get only your posts in the thread.

Thx Drama~

Tomat

Your UI, character data, and screenshots are all stored in My DocumentsGamesFFXIV or something like that. You can back that whole folder up and drop it back there after a fish install.

Top Bottom