• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So it's 2017. Why does gaming still have an "uncool" stereotype?

I think people overestimate the popularity/general coverage of the toxic streamers/gamers like PewDiePie. I mean, I play video games probably more than even the average person on gaf but I barely follow what's happening with that side of things. Hell, if I didn't visit Neogaf I wouldn't know anything about it and if I'm honest I still don't know exactly what gamer gate was.

People have different tastes in what they want in a partner. In my opinion it's as simple as that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The main thing is the image of gamers as nerds in a bubble of delusion and oftentimes hate. The gamergate effect.

The other thing is the world of geekery games exist in. A large portion of the most popular and publicised games are masculine power fantasies that largely feature mindless violence. It's not a very attractive thing to be associated with.

These days I don’t say that ’I’m a gamer’ anymore, I might casually mention that I’m going to ”play destiny with my friends tonight” to someone but that’s about it unless the other person I’m talking too is also into games.

I just don’t feel like defining myself as just one of my hobbies when I have many other interests including working out, spending time with my golden retriever, politics, riding school, pop-psychology and more than a dozen other things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Let's be fair... if a person is a full on shut in gaming addict, that's a bad prospect for a girl. She paints with far far too broad a brush, and is prejudiced, but there's a genuine worry there.

Opa-Pa

Gaming as a hobby is fine. A person who lets the hobby define them have a high chance of being a disgusting creep and thus people get turned off by anyone who resembles what you'd call a gamer.

I'm a guy, I've played my entire life and actively avoid such people IRL lol, I can't imagine how it must be for women.

Because it's 2017 and she probably thought he was a Nazi.
Turns out gamers were much worse than just uncool.

Basically.

Most people still think video games are for children or immature people, at least the people around me do.

Same goes to fans of Animation.

nbraun80

Probably wouldn't use one chick on Tinder as your sample for wondering why 'people' think it's uncool. That's just Tinder and the mentality behind it for girls, find something that's not quite to your liking, onto the next one.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If someone did this while holding a bag of popcorn and holding an "I ❤️ Nolan" t-shirt, they'd probably get the same reaction.

Raiden

Banned
Eh she stopped replying when they exhanged selfies?

Trust me if your friend looked better or more to her taste she would not care about the headphones or gaming.

(Putting on my outside looking in perspective change goggles.)

It's a kids' hobby that you were supposed to grow out of when you reached puberty and your hormones caused you to take notice of prospective romantic partners. Thanks to games such as Madden and Halo and Call of Duty, you didn't. (Please, God, let it just be those games.) Keep a lid on it, and it's something we can live with. Wear it on your sleeve and you're clearly an overgrown, emotionally stunted manchild.

(Taking off my outside looking in perspective change goggles.)

Aomber

Probably wouldn't use one chick on Tinder as your sample for wondering why 'people' think it's uncool. That's just Tinder and the mentality behind it for girls, find something that's not quite to your liking, onto the next one.
Obviously it was just the trigger for a larger issue as you're already seeing from the responses in here, that's why I posted it in gaming discussion not in off topic.

Eh she stopped replying when they exhanged selfies?

Trust me if your friend looked better or more to her taste she would not care about the headphones or gaming.
You don't know how tinder works do you?

Opa-Pa

Gamer culture absolutely does exist and is not limited to multi-player stuff. And yes, it's disgusting.

Doesn't necessarily mean you, as a player, are part of it, but yeah.

kungfuian

I would argue some types of gaming are considered cool or ok in moderation (like Call of Duty, Madden, or the most mainstream stuff like minecraft, mario, clash of clans, etc) where as more obscure gaming is considered less cool.

Cool is so subjective a word but if you are talking about it as a gut response to like or not like gaming and gamers I would say gaming is considered not 'cool' because-

A. The activity attracts, is associated with, and represented by a large number of people who are seen as having poorly or under developed social skills. This is on some level biologically mal-adaptive and therefore considered uncool.

B. Self proclaimed gamers as a group are generally obsessive and hold strong opinions about their gaming. Both of these are uncool traits to encounter.

C. Because gaming usually starts in child hood it is associated with children. It is therefore considered something you should grow out of and adults who still game are considered immature.

C. The activity of gaming produces nothing of value, is largely a waste of time (pure leisure activity) which by default takes away from other activities. These things can interfere with the responsibilities of adult life (school, work, mowing the lawn, spending time with the kids/wife, etc), and are therefore considered uncool by anyone seeking these things.

D. Gaming is largely non physical and therefore associated with unhealthy low levels of physical activity and the corresponding body/image. This would be considered unattractive or 'uncool' by the opposite sex typically.

etc...

Usobuko

Banned
Look at the biggest YouTube channels and how they conduct themselves vs how your highest paid Hollywood actors do.

You get the point. Clowns against gentlemen.

danm999

I think people overestimate the popularity/general coverage of the toxic streamers/gamers like PewDiePie. I mean, I play video games probably more than even the average person on gaf but I barely follow what's happening with that side of things. Hell, if I didn't visit Neogaf I wouldn't know anything about it and if I'm honest I still don't know exactly what gamer gate was.

People have different tastes in what they want in a partner. In my opinion it's as simple as that.

Gamergate got covered on the Colbert Report. PDP's Death to the Jews jokes by the Washington Post. The stuff that rises to the top and gets mainstream attention tends to be extremely toxic.

autoduelist

Non-gamers have no idea about this whole 'nazi' thing some of you are talking about. They don't care about gaming, don't read gaming news, don't think about gaming. To think they consider gamers nazis or something is... absurd.

They just think gamers are unproductive and know some of their friends have boyfriends who ignore them to play a game instead of chilling.

zeopower6

Honestly in today's era I don't think anyone really cares much about anything when it comes to gaming. It's not nearly as much as stigmatized as it once was.

nbraun80

Obviously it was just the trigger for a larger issue as you're already seeing from the responses in here, that's why I posted it in gaming discussion not in off topic.
I don't really think there's a larger issue though. It will just vary from girl to girl, some may move on to the next one based on any of your entertainment preferences not matching up, whether its not likely the same music, movies, outdoors stuff, games, tv, etc. That's just online dating and the speed dating mentality. Most girls I know generally expect a guy or boyfriend to probably play some type of video game, whether its just madden or COD or more than that.

If it was a real life meeting, I'm sure she wouldn't walk away as soon as she finds out he plays video games, but in the online dating world, you find one thing you don't really care for about someone and you probably just move on, plenty of dudes out there.

Aomber

I don't really think there's a larger issue though. It will just vary from girl to girl, some may move on to the next one based on any of your entertainment preferences not matching up, whether its not likely the same music, movies, outdoors stuff, games, tv, etc. That's just online dating and the speed dating mentality. Most girls I know generally expect a guy or boyfriend to probably play some type of video game, whether its just madden or COD or more than that.

If it was a real life meeting, I'm sure she wouldn't walk away as soon as she finds out he plays video games, but in the online dating world, you find one thing you don't really care for about someone and you probably just move on, plenty of dudes out there.
Sure i understand that, but there is definitely a level of judgement for some which you wouldn't see in many or all of the other entertainment mediums you listed.

The stereotype of "hardcore gamers" is still that they're emotionally stunted, socially inept shut-ins, and it's one that a lot of prominent gamers tend to reinforce on YouTube and social media.

Gaming is a really attractive thing for people that may be socially anxious. There's enough of a "wall" in terms of interacting with other players, and many games can obviously be enjoyed solo. It also exists in a niche within close proximity to other "uncool" phenomena. Look at how comic-con and gaming are so strongly incorporated.

I say all this to mean that I think the gaming community pulls in people from other stereotypically uncool groups BETTER than other hobbies might. People notice that all these "uncool" people they know like games, then games are lame

This is a good explanation.

I'd say your friend dodged a bullet, OP. If she's going to be the type of person to ditch someone solely based on a nonharmful interest, she ain't worth it.

Or maybe she just flaked because it was Tinder and Tinder is inherently flakey.

Battlechili

Banned
If someone decides to not date you because you play video games, they were never worth dating. Your friend dodged a bullet.

nbraun80

Sure i understand that, but there is definitely a level of judgement for some which you wouldn't see in many or all of the other entertainment mediums you listed.
eh idk about that. If I see that none of our musical genres match up or she mentions she hates doing things outdoors, I'll move on pretty quickly.

danm999

This is a good explanation.

I'd say your friend dodged a bullet, OP. If she's going to be the type of person to ditch someone solely based on a nonharmful interest, she ain't worth it.

Pretty much true too.

RedSwirl

I think it's because the appeal of console games never really expanded beyond a core group and a core generation -- males from western countries who were born after around the late 70's.

I wasn't around during the 1983 North American industry crash, but I think after that period there was a certain large mainstream group that never returned to console games, and I think another chunk of the mainstream dropped out during the transition to 3D (dealing with more than one directional input proved too hard for a lot of consumers). What's left is the audience PlayStation and Xbox have been recycling back and forth ever since. How many people do you know who didn't play video games at all 15 years ago (and was cognizant 15 years ago) but are currently playing PlayStation and Xbox games like Uncharted and Halo?

The Wii tried to bring the last mainstream audience back and succeeded for a while. Mobile and social took it away though AND probably brought back a lot of the gaming audience that left in 1983.

You would need to be removed from the medium to see exactly why it's such an uncool hobby. My partner, for example, has zero interest in gaming, and in fact knows less about gaming than I though was humanly possible due to osmosis.

She rarely ever sees me playing a game (we mostly see each other on weekends, I play games during the week) but the odd time she does see, then she watches me playing games like, Yonder or Mario & Rabbids. Removed from game mechanics, the story, the atmosphere, all she sees, from the odd glance to the TV when she lifts her head from her phone,i s cartoon characters doing cute/ funny shit. On Facebook there are videos being shared constantly of people raging out on call of duty. When we go shopping and I bring her to a GAME shop, she looks around her, not at the games, but the staff and the customers and clearly thinks, wow, kids, man kids and some hygienically challenged people.

She last played games when she had a PlayStation one, now she is 25 now her last gaming experience was, and I quote "we had a playstation but never any games for it, just a dancing mat and some music cd's that showed arrows that you could dance too". She didn't realise that DDR was a game.

Now she has been with me, and she is around my home were I have a library of over 2000 games, an arcade machine, 5 televisions, and a gaming room filled with toys and retro game consoles, she looks at me and says "I love you and your seriously nerdy hobbies". She doesn't alienate me and I don't see her as a some kind of uninformed "normie". But when I put myself in her shoes, as one who was grown up without video games, gaming is a very socially removed, Immature, nerdy as fuck hobby.

And I agree. Some people don't want to fuck uncool dorks. Let them be. When I was on the dating scene I swiped left to any girl whose hobby was horse riding which is close minded, but I don't owe anyone the benefit of the doubt on Tinder, social stigma is everywhere.

Aomber

eh idk about that. If I see that none of our musical genres match up or she mentions she hates doing things outdoors, I'll move on pretty quickly.
I understand that, if someone has totally opposite interests with a plural S that's one thing. That's not what happened here though, she stopped talking to him because he simply said he had an interest in one thing, and there is definitely a level of judgement with gaming and gamers in general.

That's like not talking to someone because they say "yeah I enjoy listening to music"

Has nobody suggested that maybe she stopped responding after he sent the selfie because she just wasn't attracted to him? Maybe it has nothing to do with video games.

Basketball

Oh it's not uncool.

Just associated with Racism, Misogyny, Toxicity and Harrasment.

But it's cool now! Take that jocks!

Lol
people actually believe this

Lots of NON GAMING chicks think gaming is a massive waste of time
They want a guy that does stuff instead of sitting in the house gaming (but they watch netflix all day)

plain and simple

I understand that, if someone has totally opposite interests with a plural S that's one thing. That's not what happened here though, she stopped talking to him because he simply said he had an interest in one thing, and there is definitely a level of judgement with gaming and gamers in general.
Maybe she has had bad experiences in the past with people who like video games a lot? Maybe she has an intense dislike of them?

When I was dating, there were instant 'disqualifiers' for me based on interests or views. Seems like this girl just utilized her right to move on. Quickly and without drama.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Don't know what yer on about mate. Certain stereotypes and gaming preferences are deemed uncool but I've neverbin my life seen a girl turn down a guy because he had a ps4/ps3 Xbox etc and was into Fifa. I'm not even sure that even happens. No guy considered cool had not played that game in college and you'd be quickly embarrassed if you were that unlikely smuck to be so.

It was simply the guys, guy requisite.

Oreoleo

While there's definitely still some truth to the stigma of being a "gamer" for some people, the fact this happened on Tinder is an important detail that shouldn't be overlooked. For girls, it's a buyer's market. They have the luxury of being picky in that kind of situation and even a small red flag (any of the perceptions mentioned through the rest of the thread) can be reason enough to move on to the next guy. In a more traditional setting where they've met in person and hit it off before she found out his hobbies, it's likely she wouldn't have been as quick to ghost him.

Lol, this is a much more succinct way of putting it.

Nyx

Yep. All my friends are gamers, none know any streamer/youtuber.

And agreed on the last bit as well.

JusDoIt

I don't think many outside of gaming know of some of the trash found in the gaming circle, hell many who play games are oblivious.

This is more likely the typical nerd response.

You’re wrong. Anybody who listens to public radio, reads news magazines like The Atlantic or The New Yorker, watches YouTube, or uses Twitter is likely rather aware of the temper tantrums and alt-right hijinks gamers have been up to the past few years.

Carcetti

Consider that most visible gamers now are Youtube people like Pewds, Jontron, Boogie and their best tube pals like Thunderf00t, Sargon and the ilk.

Gaming might've been uncool but now it's being represented by Trump-loving tube nazis, redpill misogynists, chan creeps, and unhinged twitter stalkers.

Top Bottom