• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Sitting here shielded at 891 in Mockingbird's PvP, so that Yellow cover should be mine unless I fall asleep or something. Add that to the fact that I actually got a yellow from one of the event tokens, and I'm looking at a 1/3/2 Mockingbird before she even gets into tokens. I haven't gotten this lucky since Peggy.

Dalek

https://news.marvel.com/games/71039/piecing-together-marvel-puzzle-quest-yondu/

vfx_RavagersRuse1.jpg

Get your hands on this blue-skinned Ravager!

Hawkeye might be the greatest archer around, but nobody’s better with an arrow than Yondu. The blue-skinned Ravager’s ready to wreak whistling havoc on the enemy team and we talked to D3 Go! Senior Producer Josh Austin about “Marvel Puzzle Quest’s” newest alien addition to the roster.

Marvel.com: Yondu, don’t you mean Mary Poppins? Mary Poppins will be joining the “Marvel Puzzle Quest” roster?

Josh Austin: Yondu (Mary Poppins Y’all), I mean, Yondu (Awesome Mix Volume 2) is a 4-Star character coming to Marvel Puzzle Quest and is a celebration of the digital release of “Guardians of the Galaxy 2” movie. Since the film released in theaters, interest for Yondu has been incredible and we wanted to bring the old Ravager as a playable character to join in the Guardians festivities in “Marvel Puzzle Quest.”

Marvel.com: The blue-skinned Ravager and his arrow were my favorite part of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” bar none. What were some of the cool things the team wanted to bring to his “MPQ” version?

Josh Austin: What makes Yondu so awesome is not only his tough personality, but his Yaka Arrow and its uniqueness. So the team worked on bringing that out as much as possible in the game. He does damage and heals passively, and as someone on the team said, “why work when the arrow can do that for you?”

Marvel.com: Let’s talk about Yondu’s abilities in game. What’s he capable of?

Josh Austin: Yondu (Awesome Mix Volume 2)’s first ability is a Passive Yellow. “Mary Poppins Y’all!” Yondu uses his Yaka arrow like a parachute, cause, “Yeah, he’s cool.” If the player makes a match-4 or greater and Yondu is below 50% health, a Yellow Countdown tile is created that restores health each turn if one does not exist already.

His second ability is Ravager’s Ruse and it costs 7 Black AP. For this power, the Yondu looks out for his own best interest by destroying AP from the enemy’s highest colored AP pool, then creates a Strike tile for each AP destroyed.

Yondu’s last ability is called Centaurian Archery and it costs 10 Blue AP. Here’s where the Yaka Arrow comes in, as Yondu starts whistling and at level 5 damages the enemy for 9,698 damage and transforms this power to Yaka Assault.

Yaka Assault is a PASSIVE blue where the Yaka Arrow deftly flies across the battlefield damaging the enemy with the lowest health. At level 5 this means 1,592 damage at the start of the turn to the weakest enemy. The power becomes Centaurian Archery if Yondu receives damage past the power level’s threshold (at level 5 that’s 992 damage).

Marvel.com: I’m really interested in Centaurian Archery and Yaka Assault. Basically it’s a bunch of burst damage for 10 AP, then free, unavoidable damage afterwards? Is it balanced around the fact that if you commit to this, you lose his burst in favor of sustained damage over time?

Josh Austin: That’s correct in that you lose the more heavy damage attack, but the good thing about this is since it is 10 AP to trigger, the power continues to damage the weakest enemy while you can gather more Blue AP, however of course if Yondu receives enough damage, this power will then revert back.

Marvel.com: And how well does using allies like Carnage, that damage their teammates, work in reloading Centaurian Archery?

Josh Austin: Actually with the ability to create a bunch of strike tiles with Ravager’s Ruse for 7 Black AP, he works well with characters that create Strike tiles like The Punisher (Max), Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) and Blade (Modern) or with characters that strengthen his Strike tiles like Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Sam Wilson (Captain America), Professor X (Charles Xavier), Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), and/or Medusa (Inhuman Queen).

Marvel.com: And Yaka Parachute a permanent heal, or just for the current fight? Because then I can see my Carnage/Yondu team working even better!

Josh Austin: Haha, if you want to damage him to trigger his Yaka Parachute, then match 4 or greater, then of course you will get the Yaka Parachute Countdown tile which is a Permanent heal! That’s right, not burst, but permanent for Yondu only!

Marvel.com: When do we get to experiment with ol’ fin head?

Josh Austin: Yondu is releasing on August 10. He will be a placement Reward in a revamped Guardians event titled Honor Among Thieves that starts on August 10 and ends August 14. He will be a featured character in Thick As Thieves (of course right?) starting August 13 and ending August 18 where he will be available in the Vault. Lastly, his versus tournament will be called Ravager Clan and it starts August 17 and ends August 21 where he will be featured and available at best odds!

Whistle while you match with Yondu here (http://bit.ly/2ve1lKE) and stay tuned to Marvel.com for more “Marvel Puzzle Quest” news and interviews.

That Blue does look pretty cool.

And with him being a 4*, we're pretty overdue for a new 5* release, aren't we? And the next character should come out about the same time as Defenders premieres.

Triz

I have some pretty big fatigue...Im logging in daily and do ing the dead pool stuff, but not much else. Playing since launch and this is the first time it happened. Hoping the Yondu release kicks me back into gear.

I did just champ 4* Grocket

Triz

Barely scraping top 100 on a new release thanks to the updated ruleset. Didn't help I joined a slice at 995 full...

Spoit

Ugh, sniped the bracket right when it rolled over, did a ~30 minute clear and still only barely got into the top 10. Probably actually going to fall out of it on the final clear, when the 5*s come in. This new system suuuuuucks

Before they rolled back vaulting, you had whomever the new character is fully covered in 3 months or so (for example, I just finished covering R&BG), so it really didn't matter where you finished in the release event (as long as it was top 100). Even now, you'll theoretically have it covered in 6 months instead of 3, which is more than fast enough for me.

Spoit

Ugh, missed top 2 by like 50 points....after I realized too late that I'd left a clear on the fixed unit mission, leaving like 166 points on the table

Yup. You are asking top ten character vs middle of the pack at best. Medusa plus carnage is crazy.

Hold on now. While Gwenpool isn't at Medusa's level, she's clearly middle of the pack, not at best. Best board control in the game (i.e. she can remove any tile on the board that she wants) + an AOE that turns into a nuke if there's less than 3 people left (neither of which is the power they pulled).

zulux21

Hold on now. While Gwenpool isn't at Medusa's level, she's clearly middle of the pack, not at best. Best board control in the game (i.e. she can remove any tile on the board that she wants) + an AOE that turns into a nuke if there's less than 3 people left (neither of which is the power they pulled).
Isnt her green just random in general so even with three people it might only hit one of them? Plus like half the time you have to use her purple to wven use her green. She has uses but they are very select and tons of people are better than her which is a shame because i like the character in general.

Isnt her green just random in general so even with three people it might only hit one of them? Plus like half the time you have to use her purple to wven use her green. She has uses but they are very select and tons of people are better than her which is a shame because i like the character in general.

While yes, it's random, green when it only hits one person is about 13.5K damage for 10AP (not boosted) at 281. So basically, it's a good AOE when it hits all three, a half-decent AOE and a decent nuke when it hits 2 people, and a good nuke when it only hits one. And honestly it's only about one in every 5 games with her that I have to specifically use pink to remove the gun tile. It's usually reachable without it by the time I actually collect 10 green AP.

zulux21

While yes, it's random, green when it only hits one person is about 13.5K damage for 10AP (not boosted) at 281. So basically, it's a good AOE when it hits all three, a half-decent AOE and a decent nuke when it hits 2 people, and a good nuke when it only hits one. And honestly it's only about one in every 5 games with her that I have to specifically use pink to remove the gun tile. It's usually reachable without it by the time I actually collect 10 green AP.

since I am home again and easily able to look up stuff... I would consider the following characters better than gwenpool

Coulson
Blade
Captain Marvel
Carnage (especially paired with medusa)
Cloak and dagger
Cyclops
Deadpool is around the same level
Gamora
iceman
hulkbuster
jean gray
medusa
Miles (the changes to him really made him a decent ap gen and surprise is a nice nuke)
Nova
Peggy Carter
Prof X
Quake is around the same level
red hulk
the improved Riri is better but I haven't had a chance to try her out to confirm.
rocket and groot
star lord
punisher
thing
lady thor
vulture
wasp
x23 is around the same level.

so that is 27 characters I would likely take over gwenpool in general. If you want strictly for board control with her purple she would be a good choice, but in general board control isn't that important and even if her green is pretty good it doesn't beat out the other characters in general.

thus placing her firmly in the middle of the pack, as even if you remove 7 or so of those characters I wouldn't consider that beyond the middle of the pack as I would qualify things as basically.

top 10
middle of the pack
bottom 10

thus my original statement as at best middle of the pack stands as there is no way she is anywhere near the top of the pack.

that being said your statement of clearly in the middle of the pack would also be true for the most part though there were a couple of other characters I was debating about which could edge her down to the top of the bottom 10 for me.

that being said I don't think she needs a rework. she is still a fun character to play around with even if in general I don't consider her a great character.

Dalek

I always like to refer to this Character Ranking Guide

It hasn't been updated in a while-I notice 5* spidey and Vulture aren't on there. But for existing ones, it lists Gwen as #20. She gets an A in PVE and PVP-but gets docked with a C for Ease of Use. Looking up those codes isn't fun if you don't have them memorized...

zulux21

I always like to refer to this Character Ranking Guide

It hasn't been updated in a while-I notice 5* spidey and Vulture aren't on there. But for existing ones, it lists Gwen as #20. She gets an A in PVE and PVP-but gets docked with a C for Ease of Use. Looking up those codes isn't fun if you don't have them memorized...

a number of those characters needs a *

*unless paired with x character then they are like rank 5.

cyclops also should be below peggy for sure.

but medusa + carnage is one of the top teams I have played with especially when teamed with like ice man who has all of his colors generated by matching away enemy attack tiles created by carnage.

I also take major issue with the ease of use category given there aren't any S ranked ones and I really don't get how starlord is easier to use than the majority of the bottom half that are straight forward with no strategy involved at all using them.

a number of those characters needs a *

*unless paired with x character then they are like rank 5.

cyclops also should be below peggy for sure.

but medusa + carnage is one of the top teams I have played with especially when teamed with like ice man who has all of his colors generated by matching away enemy attack tiles created by carnage.

I also take major issue with the ease of use category given there aren't any S ranked ones and I really don't get how starlord is easier to use than the majority of the bottom half that are straight forward with no strategy involved at all using them.

It looks like they put Cyc over Peggy because they value his self-feeding over Peggy's defense, and because he actually can/does hit harder than Peggy when his red condition is met.

And the problem with Carnage is that playing him with anyone who isn't Medusa or maybe Mr. Fantastic isn't worth it at all. When you only have one or two teammates that ever make you worth using, then you're probably not a very good character.

Edit: Starlord is also easy to use because he basically passively synergizes with himself. Both his other powers create friendly countdowns, which power up his red. And passive synergy like his is better than synergy you need to pay attention to.

zulux21

It looks like they put Cyc over Peggy because they value his self-feeding over Peggy's defense, and because he actually can/does hit harder than Peggy when his red condition is met.

And the problem with Carnage is that playing him with anyone who isn't Medusa or maybe Mr. Fantastic isn't worth it at all. When you only have one or two teammates that ever make you worth using, then you're probably not a very good character.

in a game where you can pretty much always choose at least one person that your character is teamed up with I see no issue with calling a character that only works well with a handful of people a good character.

Carnage after his rework + medusa is one of the best one two punches in the game and results in you almost never needing any health packs so you end up with stuff like

I mean heck with those two on the lower nodes you can use thanos as you get more hp from medusa from matching a single friendly attack than thanos takes.

Just like I would still consider prof x one of the better characters just because of the wininifite stuff.

but as for cyclops vs peggy. yes cyclops can self charge, and in a vacuum with just that he might have an edge over peggy, but if you throw them as a partner with oh iron man 40 peggy beats the shit out of cyclops.

with one recharge peggy tends to end the match. (blue to stun everything that isn't the lead character, then kill the one that didn't get stunned, and then when blue goes off the others die)
on the flip side cyclops has issues taking out more than a single character.

that stun on peggy gives her an edge over AP gain from cyclop's blue (plus the way better damage) and yes cyclops does more damage when charged but at the same time you have to charge it which makes the AP cost 10 higher.

zulux21

"We work hand in hand"? Clearly a Hand person to tie into the Defenders. Maybe 5* elektra?

from the data stuff earlier there was a cloak and dagger still (though no clear mechanic to go between)

we work hand in hand could easily work with cloak and dagger 5*

Dalek

"We work hand in hand"? Clearly a Hand person to tie into the Defenders. Maybe 5* elektra?

I thought definetly something Defenders related. Maybe 4* Daredevil and Jessica finally.

Hell maybe even 5* versions of all The Defenders. 😮

yup.

and I imagine it will be another 3/5 combo as long as it's not someone who already has a 3 star version.

Since I don't think it'll be Jessica (if we get her, it'll be for JJ Season 2), and I don't see them putting Danny or Luke on three different tiers, that basically only leaves Daredevil and Elektra, who would go "hand and hand" together as an on-again, off-again couple.

zulux21

Since I don't think it'll be Jessica (if we get her, it'll be for JJ Season 2), and I don't see them putting Danny or Luke on three different tiers, that basically only leaves Daredevil and Elektra, who would go "hand and hand" together as an on-again, off-again couple.

I'm still going to go with it's not defenders related and it's cloak and dagger, makes more sense to me :p

we will see though.

I'm still going to go with it's not defenders related and it's cloak and dagger, makes more sense to me :p

we will see though.

I'll admit that I went back to that leak a few weeks ago and whomever wrote it said that while the stuff is there in the code, they don't think that character will ever see the light of day.

Spoit

I'll admit that I went back to that leak a few weeks ago and whomever wrote it said that while the stuff is there in the code, they don't think that character will ever see the light of day.

I remember the SL modifications being datamined from the code back when I rage quit the first time. Like, when IceIX was still there!

Dalek

2 5* pulls in one day: Thanos and Hulk. Praise Odin!

Also rumors point to it definitely being 5* Daredevil and 3* Elektra.

zulux21

2 5* pulls in one day: Thanos and Hulk. Praise Odin!

Also rumors point to it definitely being 5* Daredevil and 3* Elektra.

Hi Everyone, We have decided to do something a little different around the Defenders release. We will be tailoring Versus Tournaments, and the Powered-Up list, around Defenders. In addition, 3-Star Elektra (Assassin) will be available before she is technically released with the Galactus Hungers event that starts on 8/24.

Last Defender - 8/20 at 8AM EDT
Assassin For Hire - 8/22 at 8PM EDT
Cage Match - 8/24 at 8PM EDT
Blind Justice - 8/27 at 8AM EDT
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qTXiQYo.png

so 3* electra for sure.
would be weird if we got a 5* daredevil and not a 5* elektra as it would be the first new 3* that didn't have a 5* version at the same time in years.

3* stats sorta
Elektra (Assassin)
3 Star Rarity (Rare)

Ability 1
Steals enemy Strike tiles, and improves their strength.
Converts random Basic tiles to enemy Strike tiles.

Ability 2
Converts random Basic tiles to Trap tiles that negates damage received, and deals damage.

Ability 3
Deals damage to the enemy, and creates a Countdown tile that deals damage each turn

*Keep an eye out for the Marvel.com article, as it reveals more details about 3-Star Elektra's abilities!

aka sounds like she might play a lot like the 4* version just without the AP steal/gain thus likely won't be very good in general.

so 3* electra for sure.
would be weird if we got a 5* daredevil and not a 5* elektra as it would be the first new 3* that didn't have a 5* version at the same time in years.

Doctor Octopus. It's barely been 3 months. Black Panther before that.

Edit: Wait, I read that wrong. First new 3* without a 5*, not the other way around.

zulux21

Doctor Octopus. It's barely been 3 months. Black Panther before that.

Edit: Wait, I read that wrong. First new 3* without a 5*, not the other way around.

:p

yup
and we didn't get a 3* of those because we already had one.

I mean I am not super against them going back to releasing some more 3* in general since they are easier to cover, and can still be useful when boosted. But in general they don't add to much to the game unless they add unique mechanisms such as strange or thanos did.

though I am also of the opinion that at this point everything should just get shifted, make 2*s the new 1*s and for the characters that don't already have a 2* version just change the 1* versions into 2* level characters, 3* to 2*, 4*-3* and 5-4* and leave them there for a while before introducing a new 5* level.

to be fair I have never understood the level jump in 5*s in general. never got why it was a 200 level jump. would have made far more sense for 5* to start off at like level 170 (aka around where a champed 3* is so it wouldn't have screwed up your scaling if you were in 3* land) and go up to about 400 instead of 450 to keep it a bit more in line with the next tier as it almost feels like 5* jumped a complete tier as the difference between a max level 5* and a 4* feels more like the difference between a 4* and 2* than a 4* and 3*.

zulux21

I mean, even with the changes, she was still mid-low to begin with. And that was the ap steal

and the ability to steal more than just strike tiles :p

I would have to actually sit down and look at all the 3*s but I imagine this new one is in the bottom 10.

Spoit

Also, finally did the sim. Carnage medusa+green/blue user (Iceman, in this case, vulture might be better once he's covered) was okay, but after fighting some other teams, I found that medusa+4* grocket and gamora was a hell of a lot faster. Especially against enemy medusas, where you don't want to match too many of your own special tiles to keep from feeding them

KuroNeeko

Collection is coming along slowly, but surely.
When I last checked in, I had just champed 3★ Blade--my first 3★ champ.
While I've been having a hard time finding someone that works well with him, I have managed to champ a bit more.

5★s
Hawkeye 0/1/0

4★s
C. Marvel 2/1/1
X-Force 1/1/1
Riri 0/1/1 (will probably sell)
A. Coulsen 1/0/0
Blade 1/0/0
C & Dagger 0/1/0
Medusa 0/0/1
Pro. X 0/0/1
Hulk 0/1/0
Cyclops 1/0/0
Thor 1/0/0

3★s
Blade 3/5/5
Iron Fist 3/5/5
Deadpool 5/5/3 (or 3/5/5)
Thanos 5/3/5 (can't figure out how to use him)
Thor 3/5/5
Patch 4/5/3
Model 40 4/5/2 (favorited now)
B. Widow 5/4/1
Hood 4/5/1
B. Panther 3/5/2
Hawkguy 3/3/4
Mags 3/3/4
Switch 3/1/5
Loki 4/2/3
D. Doom 5/2/1
Cyclops 2/5/0
She-hulk 2/3/2
D. Strange 2/1/4
R&G 1/1/4 (may group with Blade)
K.Khan 2/2/2
Beast 1/2/2
Falcon 1/2/2
Spiderman 1/2/1 (may sell)
Mystique 0/2/1
L. Cage 1/1/1
Quicksilver 1/0/0

Plan is to max Iron Man, then Mags.
After that, maybe Rocket & Groot?

Blade is usually my go-to for PvE and PvP. I've been using him with Deadpool and Hood lately.

Iron Fist is way, way too disgusting, and I use him a lot--especially with Deadpool (at 5/3/5 to tank for IF).

My biggest pains now are usually

1) how to protect my squishies
2) how to deal with IF / L. Cage teams

4★s are still really hard to come by. I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do. I know I should have more 2★s so I can farm more HP and 3★ covers. I know I should take more 3★s like Squirrel Girl and Vision, but no space. I need more 4★s to gain access to the bottom node in Deadpool's Dailies.

The answer to all the above is probably to just keep playing / paying. ^^

Spoit

The answer was to do pve, where scaling leveled the playing field. But now, you're probably just scraping for the 1 prog cover.

Can you get to 575 in pvp? That would let you do a classic pull every 5 days or so

Top Bottom