• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Or those that like Smash and don't like the idea of possibly waiting another two years to get a new game in that series.

I'll get this because:

1. It has a completely different set of cast.
2. It has trophies.
3. I liked SSB, but I only get to play it at my cousin's house before.

I have no interest, but if they add Gravity Kitten and Crow, it'd become a day one purchase for me.

That's mostly because I will buy anything related to Gravity Daze, but whatever. Details guys, details.

It looks a lot like Battle Stadium D.O.N. to me, which was a decent game, even if I didn't really care for 2/3 of the roster.

I probably won't care for the majority of this game's roster either. Not too many standout Sony characters. Still if it's good, I'll probably get it.

Guys I wrote up a timeline to explain the series of events that have taken place the last few months:

Late 2011 - leak revealing sony working on a smash bros style game
April 2012 - sony reveals smash bros style game
April 2012 - people are surprised

It's been crazy. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Emitan

Brawl's online is worthless, it's embarrassing to even release a product with this online.

what's with all the butthurt? it has a horrible online, worthless in fact. Having a better online already makes it a better smash game.

You said Smash Bros didn't have online. In this very post you say Brawl had online. What are you arguing again?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold 2.7 million copies in one month. I'm genuinely interested/curious about how this game will perform. Is it coming 2012, right?

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm a huge Playstation guy and I have no desire to play this. Super Smash Bros appeal to me was the Nintendo Characters themselves and all the trophies and nostalgia overload the games provide.

Yeah, I'm kinda on the same side as this. There are some great games in the Playstation library, but...Nintendo characters got so much more personality, and history to me. I feel like mixing up those characters is still much more interesting than anything this game could produce.

On another note...I am so fucking tired of Kratos in fighting games lol

Poyunch

This game has trophies.

SKKUD.jpg

prwxv3

Guys I wrote up a timeline to explain the series of events that have taken place the last few months:

Late 2011 - leak revealing sony working on a smash bros style game
April 2012 - sony reveal smash bros style game
April 2012 - people are surprised

It's been crazy. Can't wait to see what happens next.

The insane meltdowns/threads that are going to happen are going to be glorious.

panty

Looks great. Day 1, sure.

I'm a huge Playstation guy and I have no desire to play this. Super Smash Bros appeal to me was the Nintendo Characters themselves and all the trophies and nostalgia overload the games provide.

PS chars >>> Marios and whatnot.

Alchemy

Not a fan of a Smash clone, but it isn't like it can be as bad as Brawl was. I just don't see Superbot spending a major amount of resources trying to cram a shitty Kirby game inside of their fighter. Though if Fat Princess is a flag ship character for your game, you might be in trouble.

Roster is kinda meh right now, and the stages looked pretty washed out and bland. I'm not really a fan of them mixing different games together for the stages either. Sony doesn't have the same level of iconic recognition that Nintendo has for a lot of its series, so it just comes off muddled IMO.

I still think the game has potential, hopefully the cast can be the stand out. Though honestly, I can't really think of too many Sony characters that I really need to see. :/

Whelp. I think I got enough people to jump on my silly comment. Night Gaf!

You sure showed us!

Seriously guys, it's a clone to be sure, but this is how genres happen. I, for one, welcome our new party fighter overlords, although I wasn't super impressed with all the footage we saw. I really hope the colors pop out more by the time the game is out.

Oh I don't there's any question they're aping if not downright copying Smash Bros. But Sony fans have been clamoring for a game like this for years. They're just giving fans what they want.

They probably realized it would be better to go full on rip off than try to create something 'sorta' like Smash.

Ezduo

Banned
Hmm, I kind of wish this was for the Vita.

Either way, they need stupid crap like Marcus or those dumb PSP squirrels. I hope they really revel in the camp of it all instead of trying to be serious with Sweet Tooth and the Killzone guy. Really have fun with it.

tolkir

And now I remember there are others of 4-player 2D fighters that aren't like Smash Bros:
- Jump Super/Ultimate Stars
- Battle Stadium D.O.N
- One Piece Gigant Battle
- Rag Doll Kung Fu

PSASBR is more like those.

TMNT: Smash-Up

guek

Banned
Mashing up inspirations across separate games to craft levels looks to be a very poor choice...makes stages look cluttered and everything clashes horribly. I think that's what turns me off the most on this game.

Also, are there items? Or does no items = more hardcore? :p

Amagon

I have no interest in this game after watching that video. BRB, gonna play a real fighting game like SF4 or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Hold Dat Shit!

Mashing up inspirations across separate games to craft levels looks to be a very poor choice...makes stages look cluttered and everything clashes horribly. I think that's what turns me off the most on this game.

I totally agree.

If Sony is hoping this game will give them more brand recognition for their IPs, this is the wrong way to go about it IMO.

udivision

There is just something so off putting about that health bar... I don't see why they didn't just go all out Smash clone.

There are about half a dozen party fighters but I don't think any of them are actually Smash bros. clones beyond "4 men enter, 1 man wins."

jman2050

Also, are there items? Or does no items = more hardcore? :p

No items, Sackboy only, Precursor Door

Thoraxes

Also, I think i'm the only one in my group of friends who owns a PS3, and like 90% of the fun of these games is all the trash-talking with your bros on the couch and then getting up and hitting one of them when the match ends.

Shitsux.

My friends and I still do beers and pizza on Sunday nights for Smash Bros.

where is Drake???
Yeah, I was surprised he didn't show up. He's kinda become the face of the PlayStation brand in a way. And it isn't like they're saving him for a surprise reveal, since that would be like having a surprise reveal for Link in the next Smash game.

There is 100% chance of him being it in, so I'm not tripping.

Part of my issue with the game is that there doesn't seem to be any cohesion...the characters in Smash might come from drastically different games but they made them all use a common style. Yeah stages varied but the characters all looked like they belonged in the same game, even Toon Link but this, there's just too much clashing visually

Oh and I had the shine outlining all of them. Looks bizarre and makes them standout even more

KillGore

I don't know why you think I'm mad. You're much more emotionally invested in this dispute than i am.

Then why even waste the time in trying to argue with me? Brawl has a horrible and worthless online, making it basically unplayable, meaning it doesn't have a working online, meaning it basically has no online, meaning it has no online. I don't know how much more clear I can get. At least this game will have a working online that's doesn't feel like I'm trying to play with dial up (or worse)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It didn't look like it packed as much oomph in the attacks, and I'm not really a fan of a health bar for a game like this. Stages being mashups is a cool idea and I love smash in general so I'll atleast try it. I don't have much of an attachment to sony characters so it will definitely not have the same appeal to me, but third party could be interesting.

Top Bottom