• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III – Code: VFD |OT| Of Seiyuus and Seiryuus

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...uh, you can basically play as a Yu-Gi-Oh character in this...

Sign me the fuck up.

Can you basically customize your entire team, or only your player character with everyone else preset? Kind of confused from the OT about that.

So...uh, you can basically play as a Yu-Gi-Oh character in this...

Sign me the fuck up.

Can you basically customize your entire team, or only your player character with everyone else preset? Kind of confused from the OT about that.
You can customize your entire team, yes. Name, look, class. Duelist is the best class, no question. You activated my trap card!

tuffymon

Every character you recruit/make is customizable, even the support units, and of course, you can make extra as well~ Gotta try em all!

Watch Da Birdie

Every character you recruit/make is customizable, even the support units, and of course, you can make extra as well~ Gotta try em all!

That sounds awesome.

Gonna try the demo ASAP. Going on a six hour road trip soon and this sounds perfect.

Eusis

I stuck with demo girl for my duelist. Don't care for Yugioh reject. Did the same for the Godhand just because I liked her as she was and also liked the default Samurai.

Did change my Hacker to the old butler though, even in spite of the JSRF shirt on the default guy.

Chase17

Could someone compare this to another JRPG for me? Just so I can get a better feel for what the game is. Don't want to watch too much footage since I usually like to go knowing little. From what I saw it kind of reminded me of EO for for some reason.

Meffer

Could someone compare this to another JRPG for me? Just so I can get a better feel for what the game is. Don't want to watch too much footage since I usually like to go knowing little.

It's closest to Etrian Odyssey. But the main differences is dungeon crawling isn't in first person, no map making, and you see your characters actually do their skills and attacks. I believe the guy who made 7th Dragon also created EO. Dragons even act like FOEs: They appear on the map, they're stronger than the enemies you find in the area (but not stupid strong like in EO when you meet for the first time) and if you enter a random encounter near a dragon, if you take too long they'll enter the battle.

Chase17

It's closest to Etrian Odyssey. But the main differences is dungeon crawling isn't in first person, no map making, and you see your characters actually do their skills and attacks. I believe the guy who made 7th Dragon also created EO.
Thanks! Sounds good to me. Might have to pick up this game if I whenever I get through TMS.

Eusis

The original 7th Dragon itself was basically a DQ-like with EO gameplay mixed in, but from 2020 onwards seemed to scale down the DQ-ness (namely by eliminating a world map and towns) so it does come off as a more friendly/accessible and story heavy alternative to EO.

My copy came Wednesday afternoon, which was earlier than expected. I have played 5 hours so far, and I will play a small session later tonight.

I am on Chapter 2, and the game is really opening up. I'm still sticking with my Samurai, Agent, and Duelist party that I used in the demo. I created my second team, and I will obviously be doing some party shuffling. The game is just all around great. The gameplay is addicting, the story is enjoyable, and the music is just beautiful. The only flaws are occasional slowdown and some graphical glitches.

I'm very happy I picked this up, and I can't wait to play it some more.

Watch Da Birdie

All those voice actors but I'm disappointed they didn't get any of the Yu-Gi-Oh protags as far as I can tell.

No fucking Kuudere voices is a crime.

This is bad. I just unlocked a new class/es and can make more characters but argh, limiting the party to three is killing me. This is like when I played Dungeon Travelers 2 and it was like "LOOKIT ALL THESE CRAZY-ASS FUCKING CLASSES, LOOKIT ALL THE COOL SHIT YOU CAN DO!" now choose a limited number.

Do 2nd party characters gain exp and skill just chilling in the back? Otherwise raising a character from a baby at later stages of the game has gotta be torture.

spiritfox

No fucking Kuudere voices is a crime.

This is bad. I just unlocked a new class/es and can make more characters but argh, limiting the party to three is killing me. This is like when I played Dungeon Travelers 2 and it was like "LOOKIT ALL THESE CRAZY-ASS FUCKING CLASSES, LOOKIT ALL THE COOL SHIT YOU CAN DO!" now choose a limited number.

Do 2nd party characters gain exp and skill just chilling in the back? Otherwise raising a character from a baby at later stages of the game has gotta be torture.

They gain full XP and SP. The XP scale is so that lower lvl characters catch up pretty fast.

Watch Da Birdie

Even when characters die they still gain the same EXP, so my Duelist who keeps getting killed isn't falling behind.

That is another thing I absolutely love. I loathe when dead characters don't gain XP and have reset boss battles because of it.

There are just so many things this game does right that really makes me like it.

Sterok

Got my second team. This time based off Lyrical Nanoha. Agent is cool with all that hacking. Run Knight is interesting. Fortuner is neat with all those status effects.

Although I've got more than my fair share of RPGs going right now I think I'm going to have to support this game as an Etrian Odyssey fan. I still wish the original DS game had made it out here years ago.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Got my copy in today, but haven't had a chance to start it yet. I liked the demo enough to pick it up though, looking forward to spending some time playing it this weekend.

Linkark07

Banned
Received my copy today. Was expecting another thing though, so this was a great surpirse.

First party I made consist of Samurai Uchida, God Hand Sugita and Duelist Inoue.

picked up my copy at the post office. getting the free DLC then throwing it in the backlog :/
Don't forget that they are releasing more DLC in the immediate future.

I'm slowly making my way through Chapter 5.

Found a seriously broken skill, if you have time to set it up. Duelist's
Judgement - which unlocks with the first skill construction expansion. Requires you to set all 3 Traps, so you have to believe in the heart of the cards.

The Banisher's Dragon Buster is seriously OP as well. (This one is in the manual, so...) Or at least I thought it was. I guess it is Fire Element, so it sucked on the High Dragon I used it on. Or it just doesn't work on the bigger, badder Dragons?

ohlawd

Don't forget that they are releasing more DLC in the immediate future.

but those won't be free. reading the description I probably won't do those DLC quests anyway. they sound like postgame content and I don't have time. I'm gonna finish the game and leave it at that. maybe tackle them when I'm free but looking at the rest of 2016's lineup, not probable.

Meffer

but those won't be free. reading the description I probably won't do those DLC quests anyway. they sound like postgame content and I don't have time. I'm gonna finish the game and leave it at that. maybe tackle them when I'm free but looking at the rest of 2016's lineup, not probable.

All the DLC in their first week of release will be free.

All the DLC in their first week of release will be free.

so week of release refers to the DLC and not the game? gotcha. I'll pop in the next two Tuesdays then
Yeah. It is really unclear, it should be worth at least checking next Tuesday to see if it is free. Takes all of 3 minutes, which shouldn't slow down backlog progress too much.

This game is absolutely the kind of thing I like to linger on, but I can't and I hate that. So many games that I want are coming out, at least one a month, nonstop until next Spring? Maybe longer.

Nachos

Yeah. It is really unclear, it should be worth at least checking next Tuesday to see if it is free. Takes all of 3 minutes, which shouldn't slow down backlog progress too much.

This game is absolutely the kind of thing I like to linger on, but I can't and I hate that. So many games that I want are coming out, at least one a month, nonstop until next Spring? Maybe longer.
Siliconera says that each piece will be free during their respective releases. Assuming that's right, is this any clearer?

Sega has announced that each piece of DLC will be free during the respective week of its release.

Joe Molotov

Was up playing this until 6am, lmao. Rolling with the main party from the demo still (Samuari, God Hand, Duelist) with some catgirls backing me up.

Sterok

I think my favorite parts are switching out parties so that I have one (later two) party for dungeon crawling while the other is kept fresh for dragons, and creating my own yuri love nest. Does the Skylounge actually do anything, or is it just for fun?

I like the difficulty in this.

Fought the first High Dragon in Chapter 2 and he killed me in 3 rounds because I was focusing on a bad set up. Refought him and went in with the right strategy and beat him in 6 turns. That's a good feeling, like the things you do actually matter.

Sterok

Got my third team. This one based off Hayate no Gotoku. Might take awhile for them to really pull their weight, especially since they're behind in SP, but I'm sure they'll come in handy sooner than later.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. God Hands are fucking stupid strong. If my fights go right, I can finish off a Dragon SOLO in 3 turns. God Charge, Ambush Stance, take two hits to deal damage and build two G and then use one of the 2G moves like Back Fist or whatever. The damage those 2G attacks do is fucking STUPID.

Nachos

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. God Hands are fucking stupid strong. If my fights go right, I can finish off a Dragon SOLO in 3 turns. God Charge, Ambush Stance, take two hits to deal damage and build two G and then use one of the 2G moves like Back Fist or whatever. The damage those 2G attacks do is fucking STUPID.
If you max out Jab, it lets you inflict 2G in one attack.

The difficulty took a sharp drop after more classes opened up

Every class is good in this game. The ailments and debuffs just pile up on the bosses due to how varied the skills are. I don't think it's even possible to have a bad party combo. I'm at Chapter 3, and I
created the Atlantis Evac Ward
. This was the section where I finally forced to use every party member, and it spiced up the combat even more.

You just have to play strategically and be strong enough to deal damage and survive attacks. The combat could be a little harder, but I'm having a blast anyway.

KdylanR92

Every class is good in this game. The ailments and debuffs just pile up on the bosses due to how varied the skills are. I don't think it's even possible to have a bad party combo. I'm at Chapter 3, and I
created the Atlantis Evac Ward
. This was the section where I finally forced to use every party member, and it spiced up the combat even more.

You just have to play strategically and be strong enough to deal damage and survive attacks. The combat could be a little harder, but I'm having a blast anyway.

Oh no I didn't mean for that to come off as negative criticism, I fucking love playing this game mostly because the classes are so cool. I really love how they mixed traditional healer classes with DPS and samurais aren't the only ones that can do ton of damage while everyone else just supports.

tuffymon

Two things I really like (among the many others that others have listed), is that aerial slash, which in most games would be a situational attack, actually has a lot of potential use here, even quite a few dragons are flying. Secondly, different music in different areas, I've always hated rpgs that use 1 song the whole game >.>

In Chapter 3 when
they split your teams and I saw all the dragons I had to kill with my 2nd team I was like "Fuuuuuuuuck"
Then I experimented with my team of Runic/Fortuner/Samurai and my damage output was insane. A little annoyed I put so much skill point into trying to make my Runic a tank because her damage output can get way up there and she can self-sustain really well.

Actually, all three of those classes can kinda take care of themselves. They all have very large damage negation or life restoration.

tuffymon

The only thing skill wise I don't like is the use this and if X happens within 4 turns (such as party member dies +1 turn)... like I'd rather try to keep them alive instead of using this or similar move...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can I buy medicine in the Tokyo base? I can't seem to find anywhere.

Also, is there a way to speed up/skip attack animations? I'm already completely sick of waiting for the hack animation to play.

Meffer

Can I buy medicine in the Tokyo base? I can't seem to find anywhere.

Also, is there a way to speed up/skip attack animations? I'm already completely sick of waiting for the hack animation to play.
You can items at the conference floor and no you can't skip or speed up attack animations.

Top Bottom