• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

f@luS

More than a member.
Available on PS4 and switch (eu)

Still hesitating with switch. Is it 1080p docked at least ? If yeah I don't mind much for shadows which make it almost like ps4 (pro?) with the possibility to play handheld

f@luS

More than a member.
Well i bought the switch version. Hope I won't regret but I know it's not the kind of game I'll play a lot on PS4. It's like disc jam I would kil 'for a switch version but not playing much on ps4

From the little I've played with an epic Stockton and a Legend Iverson I really don't want to see what happens when I find a Legend Steph card.

The 3-pt cheese is real. Only saving grace is that it doesn't fill the ability meter as fast as dunks and that you don't get a timing gauge (although that also means that you miss a ton of easy bunnies)

The only issue I have with the switch version is the load times

Do the challenges in tournament mode do anything special?

e: i also do not understand the timing on the alley oop

HiiiLife

They had another thread when the game somehow was released ealry on PS4, and users were saying you can cheese with 3 pointers...sounds like it'd get annoying.

bumpkin

I'm ready to pick this up for Switch whenever it's live in the NA eShop. Bought some Nintendo eShop credit last night with a GameStop gift card I had kicking around.

J-Skee

Why does Ian Eagle look like someone's Mii version of Iwata?

img_2331rfu4h.jpg

They got the God Among Men. Good on them.

Damn, I really wanted the Switch version but I don't really see the point of picking up a portable version when it's looking so gimped. There's no good reason for a game like this to be running at sub native resolutions on a 720p screen.

mazillion

I wanted to pick this up for the Switch so badly, I have been following this game closely since the announcement. But damn, some of these impressions are really making hesitant now :/

Glix

Gonna grab this at noon. Enjoyed the demo on PS4 WAAAAAAAAY more than I thought I would, really gave me old school NBA Jam vibes.

Psyched to have it portable, hopefully when they patch in the online they clean up the visual performance a bit, but I'll be okay either way.

bumpkin

I wanted to pick this up for the Switch so badly, I have been following this game closely since the announcement. But damn, some of these impressions are really making hesitant now :/
If your hesitation is based on graphics commentary, let's not forget that Snake Pass was also "downgraded" on the Switch, even more-so in portable mode, and that still looked and played fantastic. Sumo patched it later and enabled a bunch of the lighting/shadowing that was not present at launch. I know this is Saber's title, but I'd suspect there's a good chance a lot of UE4-using Switch devs are sharing best practices and notes with each other.

The lack of online on day one is disappointing, but I'm getting it mostly for local play with friends. It'll be a nice compliment to Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tetris for local MP fun.

I've been playing undocked and I can tell you it's really soft. Pretty big downgrade, and it needs updating. Not acceptable at all, knowing what the Switch is capable of.

The strange thing is menus and UI are 720p in handheld mode but the character models, court, background etc are all fuzzy with pretty bad aliasing. In the menus especially the player models that stand around on the side look awful compared to the really sharp and colorful menu options.

I haven't played it docked yet but I'm really disappointed in the handheld version after spending quality time with the PS4 demo.

Edit: I mean just look at the screenshot you quoted. Look how sharp and nice looking that blue box is, and then look at literally everything else on screen. It pains me so much to say this but, short of an imminent announcement of performance updates coming soon, I may suggest yall avoid the Switch version assuming you were interested in it for handheld mode.

This is so damn annoying. I really don't care care for that sub native resolution. Becoming too much of a trend tbh. Passing on this one sadly.

This is so damn annoying. I really don't care care for that sub native resolution. Becoming too much of a trend tbh. Passing on this one sadly.
I don't know if two games make a trend. What would you prefer though? Native resolution and frame drops? Native resolution and 30fps?

I don't know if two games make a trend. What would you prefer though? Native resolution and frame drops? Native resolution and 30fps?

I can save time and just say that don't care for and won't buy sub-native res games on switch (well ones consistently at 540p). I personally don't like the fuzziness. It's certainly my right and I'm not calling anyone lazy or insulting the devs, so don't start por favor. There's no debate here. If others don't mind, then awesome.

umm..lost my first match 06:18, lol.

Local MP is going to be amazing. Definitely a fun little game.

edit: No idea how the timing works tbh. Next match 09: 21

newsguy

3 counting Bomberman post patch. And neither of the things you mention should be an option. Devs need to make their games native res undocked, a screen that small with a blurry image isn't pleasant at all.

This game is extremely frustrating,. The CPU is scoring left and right (over 20 points after a minute) and I'm not. It explains pretty much nothing except the normal control scheme.
Sometimes you have no idea what's happening.

Easy to pick up? Yeah sure, lol.

I can save time and just say that don't care for and won't buy sub-native res games on switch (well ones consistently at 540p). I personally don't like the fuzziness. It's certainly my right and I'm not calling anyone lazy or insulting the devs, so don't start por favor. There's no debate here. If others don't mind, then awesome.

...I was just asking a question. No 'debate'.

3 counting Bomberman post patch. And neither of the things you mention should be an option. Devs need to make their games native res undocked, a screen that small with a blurry image isn't pleasant at all.

I'm thinking that they couldn't do that, thus the compromise. Bomberman is the perfect example of this. They significantly bumped up the framerate, and cuts had to be made.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This game is extremely frustrating,. The CPU is scoring left and right (over 20 points after a minute) and I'm not. It explains pretty much nothing except the normal control scheme.
Sometimes you have no idea what's happening.

Easy to pick up? Yeah sure, lol.

It's anything but easy to pick up. Needs a tutorial pretty bad.

I'm not a dev so I could be completely wrong here...but I feel like this game should be possible at native res and 60 fps. Obviously with lower/missing effects and all that. But when something like Mario Kart 8D looks and runs how it does, it's just not a good look.

jonno394

Don't blame the devs if the hardware doesn't allow it to happen easily. Hopefully they work on the post launch and it gets to 720p60 in docked mode.

I'm not a dev so I could be completely wrong here...but I feel like this game should be possible at native res and 60 fps. Obviously with lower/missing effects and all that. But when something like Mario Kart 8D looks and runs how it does, it's just not a good look.

Nintendo know this thing inside out, Saber don't, this was probably a rushed release from them and this is the best they could do with time. As said, hopefully it gets a post launch patch to 720p.

If they delayed the launch to get it to what you want, then there's the potential for a lot of lost sales and the extra time and money spent wouldn't be worth it. On the otherwise, negative reception at launch due to poor technical performance could also have the same effect :/

I totally understand but you shouldn't really compare a game internally developed by those with the most knowledge of the hardware, to a multiplatform version of a game by an indie dev. I have to assume that even with the missing effects (depth of field, improper shadows, etc.) the game still wasn't stable enough to run at 60fps undocked. I could, of course, be totally off base.

newsguy

Don't blame the devs if the hardware doesn't allow it to happen easily. Hopefully they work on the post launch and it gets to 720p60 in docked mode.

Nintendo know this thing inside out, Saber don't, this was probably a rushed release from them and this is the best they could do with time. As said, hopefully it gets a post launch patch to 720p.

If they delayed the launch to get it to what you want, then there's the potential for a lot of lost sales and the extra time and money spent wouldn't be worth it. On the otherwise, negative reception at launch due to poor technical performance could also have the same effect :/

These should have been standards set by Nintendo from the beginning. Seems like UE4 is not making it easy for these games to run at good performance @720p.

Guymelef

These should have been standards set by Nintendo from the beginning. Seems like UE4 is not making it easy for these games to run at good performance @720p.

You can't blame a dev when even Nintendo is releasing games with sub native resolutions...

...I was just asking a question. No 'debate'.

I'm thinking that they couldn't do that, thus the compromise. Bomberman is the perfect example of this. They significantly bumped up the framerate, and cuts had to be made.

No problem, I was happy to address it. I wanted to prevent the thread from veering off onto that topic, but it looks like it's going there anyhow lol.

Top Bottom