• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass - Includes over 100 Games at Launch, 14 Day Trial (Live Now)

DocSeuss

A weird little thing is how inconsistent it is in showing what you've owned vs what you haven't. Feature would be dramatically improved if it clearly showed what games I already own vs what I can buy. Some games have price tags, some don't. No rhyme or reason.

Ohh I thought you were trying to install the XB1 versions, since those were in the preview program for it.

ngl, don't remember that being in there. Just trying to install the 360 versions because why not

ShadyK54

Only own about 7 Xbox One games (on disc), and half of those are on the first list of games.

Think I might sell/trade in some of those discs & try out this Game Pass. Sounds like an awesome service.

Chris1

A weird little thing is how inconsistent it is in showing what you've owned vs what you haven't. Feature would be dramatically improved if it clearly showed what games I already own vs what I can buy. Some games have price tags, some don't. No rhyme or reason.

ngl, don't remember that being in there. Just trying to install the 360 versions because why not

They were added like two weeks into preview. I edited my last post to say check the XB1 versions, maybe it's gotten mixed up

Alx

It's a decent list for a great price (10€/month is the sweet spot for most subscriptions). I already own most the games I'd like on that list (plus my backlog is almost as long already), but it's a great value for newcomers and/or families.

borges

Banned
I might be off base here, but I have a sneaky suspicion that E3 is going to give us XBL multiplayer at no charge going forward. With them melding the Xbox brand with Windows 10 (which you don't have to pay for XBL for multiplayer), it just seems like a logical conclusion. They now have other services attached to Gold to justify the $60 yearly subscription, and by adding Game Pass to the mix, there is more revenue they will bring in.

On the E3 predictions thread, thats one of my bullet points in "Dreams". I think its reasonable, it would definitely steal the show and would give new users a damn incredible reason to move to Xbox ecosystem. I dont think many current Gold users would unsubscribe because of this.

Surely this trial has some kind of limit? I mean i already see several smaller games i could easily finish within a week. That's not going to be possible i assume?

Said earlier 100 games wasn't enough and looking over their list of games, hell nah. it may be worth it to go in early for a few games I may want to play but most of them I have either played or the other half I just don't want to play anyways. It isn't a terrible deal at all for people coming in late but for those that were digital early on they likely own most of what is worth playing there.

Phil made this sound a lot better than what we are seeing right now. I'm sure it will get better but the lack of current titles and bigger titles isn't making it look great right now.

Justinh

I can finally try farming simulator without spending actual money on it. Fuck yeah.

Ooh! Good point! I've always been curious but never wanted to pay for it.

Thanks.

For some reason, I'm not able to install Bioshock or Bioshock 2. Other games seem to install fine.

edit: If you're worried about billing, make sure you turn off auto-renew.

RIP psnow unless they pricematch

The thing with PlayStation Now is that, ironically despite its name, it's not for the here and now. I think they're looking ten years into the future with that. The problem is that it needs to justify itself now and I agree is poor value for money compared to this.

The optics don't look good and that's a problem for Sony, but I truly believe they're not really the same thing even though right now they look very similar in many ways.

Strange it's not available in Brazil. The beta worked here and they even had a page before with the price.

And now it's skipping launch.

blakep267

On the E3 predictions thread, thats one of my bullet points in "Dreams". I think its reasonable, it would definitely steal the show and would give new users a damn incredible reason to move to Xbox ecosystem. I dont think many current Gold users would unsubscribe because of this.
It's not reasonable at all. They make billions off of live gold. Billions. Nobody is going to buy a console just because it's free MP. At most you pay $30-40 per person to play online a year. That's not a lot. You don't choose your console based on that amount of money.

Said earlier 100 games wasn't enough and looking over their list of games, hell nah. it may be worth it to go in early for a few games I may want to play but most of them I have either played or the other half I just don't want to play anyways. It isn't a terrible deal at all for people coming in late but for those that were digital early on they likely own most of what is worth playing there.

Phil made this sound a lot better than what we are seeing right now. I'm sure it will get better but the lack of current titles and bigger titles isn't making it look great right now.
It's pretty good for the average person. I don't think it's aimed at anybody who plays tons of games/ people who visit message boards.

Kordelle

What do you think of Assassin's Creed? Because it's very similar to that except with even worse combat and story. Keep your expectations in check.
I like AC, but no story is a bummer, I couldn't enjoy Mordor because of that... Is there at least a clear main quest line or is it all open-world grinding?

borges

Banned
It's not reasonable at all. They make billions off of live gold. Billions. Nobody is going to buy a console just because it's free MP. At most you pay $30-40 per person to play online a year. That's not a lot. You don't choose your console based on that amount of money.

It's pretty good for the average person. I don't think it's aimed at anybody who plays tons of games/ people who visit message boards.

My comment is not suggesting that Gold will disappear, only that Silver members could get access to free MP, and focus Gold on other benefits (4 free full games per month, high discounts, etc).

Also, free MP would be a huge hit for sure. That and XPA would be quite strong stimulus for PC folks looking for a console to go Xbox route.

Dynomutt

I might be off base here, but I have a sneaky suspicion that E3 is going to give us XBL multiplayer at no charge going forward. With them melding the Xbox brand with Windows 10 (which you don't have to pay for XBL for multiplayer), it just seems like a logical conclusion. They now have other services attached to Gold to justify the $60 yearly subscription, and by adding Game Pass to the mix, there is more revenue they will bring in.

Good points. Thought they might wait until Game Pass becomes more situated but MS could afford it.

13ruce

Banned
Guess i will order an xbox one soon and play xbone games with this pass for 9,99 it's really cheap and you can download the games right?.

Now i can enjoy some missed 360 classics + xbone current games. I can always buy the games i loved from the pass later for replay reasons.

Really hope that they offer a 12 month membership thing for this. Would love to get it for my two nephews. I could really see prepaid cards selling well for this at the holidays.

OldRoutes

Do you need to pay for Xbox Live as well?

Man it's in the first post...

Do you need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to access Xbox Game Pass?
No, you do not need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to access Xbox Game Pass. As with all Xbox Live titles, you will need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play multiplayer in Xbox Game Pass titles.

according to Phil it was suppose to be looking better than this, but that can be took in many different ways. From his interviews though I was expecting a bit better. I'm sure it will get better but who knows, plus has gotten a lot worse

its great for those that dont want to keep games but questionable for those who like to keep games

xrnzaaas

I meant the trial, just to be sure :)

If the trial allows that, this would mean anyone who hasn't finished Halo 5 yet can do that? Plus well.... any game within that 15 day period?

The trial can be activated only once so I don't think it'll cost them that much. Most people have 1-2 hours of free time per day. It's unlikely they'll take a leave of absence and try to finish as many "free" games as possible within two weeks. ;)

AlexBasch

Gotta love how sometimes the Xbox site gets all slow and then all of the microsoft sites are dead in my PC for a couple of minutes.

Griss

This seems like an amazing value proposition, and the list of game is far better than I might have expected.

Slowly but surely it feels like MS are rebuilding the Xbox brand.

shmoglish

I like AC, but no story is a bummer, I couldn't enjoy Mordor because of that... Is there at least a clear main quest line or is it all open-world grinding?
There are a few times you have to farm some items, iirc. Besides that you can play the game linear most of the time. Game has some nice visuals and the action is okay, may be a perfect game for a service like that.

Freeman76

My comment is not suggesting that Gold will disappear, only that Silver members could get access to free MP, and focus Gold on other benefits (4 free full games per month, high discounts, etc).

Also, free MP would be a huge hit for sure. That and XPA would be quite strong stimulus for PC folks looking for a console to go Xbox route.

I think this is highly likely. MS are really looking to close the gap now and this would probably help a bit.

Scanna

Honestly: Mad Max is pretty great in my opinion. Very fun, great graphics and driving and just a fantastic art direction overall.

blakep267

I think you really over value how much people care about free games with gold. also High discounts would hurt their bottom line even more. they are making their money by monetizing their users. If you take one of the main pillars of that away, you have to make it up somewhere

Top Bottom