• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Demo (GoW:A Exclusive) Discussion Thread

Linconan

How much did you pay for it? $148 AU?
$129 au,
im pretty sure

Worth it!
lol
I can't stress that enough. I've bought Statues before (heaps) and this is UP there as the best!
Even the box size is about the same size as MC Halo3, maybe even a tiny bit bigger,lol.
And Eb sent it in the mail in an even MASSIVE box,lol (waist hieght),lol

$129 au,
im pretty sure

Worth it!
lol
I can't stress that enough. I've bought Statues before (heaps) and this is UP there as the best!
Even the box size is about the same size as MC Halo3, maybe even a tiny bit bigger,lol.
And Eb sent it in the mail in an even MASSIVE box,lol (waist hieght),lol

It's got $148 on the EB website! How the hell did you manage to get $20 dollars off? I want it...but damn it’s expensive!

EDIT: Apparently if you pre-ordered it you get $20 off - I wonder if I can get the $20 off if I were to just ask for it in-store.

Linconan

It's got $148 on the EB website! How the hell did you manage to get $20 dollars off? I want it...but damn it’s expensive!

EDIT: Apparently if you pre-ordered it you get $20 off - I wonder if I can get the $20 off if I were to just ask for it in-store.
LOL, dude it's worth it. If you love collecting. Buy it!
Try and hassle the dudes. You never know.
They might even lower the price after release.....IF there's any left mind you ;)

If i lost/broke it, i'd be buying another one for sure. I don't care if it was 200 au. Bam bought! lol

*wipes tear away*
It's Beautiful
lol

LOL, dude it's worth it. If you love collecting. Buy it!
Try and hassle the dudes. You never know.
They might even lower the price after release.....IF there's any left mind you ;)

If i lost/broke it, i'd be buying another one for sure. I don't care if it was 200 au. Bam bought! lol

*wipes tear away*
It's Beautiful
lol

I’ll probably go down tomorrow and try and get the price down. It looks quite amazing.

Tkm3QTu.jpg

ytqJpoz.jpg

MrJTeera

Not trying to be irritating or anything, but I've been trying to download the demo for 72 hours. The 2 GB install takes minutes to increase 0.01% of the progress. Sometime it even stop. I left my PS3 on since last night and it still manage to reach only 16%. I tried redownload the 132 MB installer several times, but all it does is reset the install progress.

Anybody else got this problem? My usual 2GB demos download from the PS Store were never this slow.

iratA

I’ll probably go down tomorrow and try and get the price down. It looks quite amazing.

Yeah the Artbook and Statue are Identical to those in the US Post-Pandemic Edition. I was originally gutted when they announced the Post-Pandemic Edition was US only. So I was jumping up and down when they announced both the fullsized Artbook and Statue here in Australia.

My Naughty Dog Shrine will be very pleased with these additions. ;-)

The embargo is 5th of june (15 GMT). At least that's what the note on my review copy says :)

Edit: For the temporally challenged, 15 hrs means 3pm.

I don't think I've been keeping up with the review side of things. How many reviews have we got now?
One pulled review, which said the game is "so bad it's good" that it is actually the Citizen Kane of videogaming. And then another mediocre 10/10 review by OPM UK.

All in all looks like a pretty bad game so far that no one will like. Similar to Uncharted 2.

SmokyDave

Played the demo yesterday morning. Really enjoyed it. It's one of those linear games that doesn't feel at all linear to me. Not sure how much I like the combat, but it'll probably grow on me.

The trailer is fantastic. It blew the missus away. Afterwards she said "that looks like a really good film, a film I want to watch". Bless Naughty Dog, they do what they do so well.

Official UK PS mag came out today, gave this a 10/10. Review thread? I don't have time to make it right now.

ZKznzuK.gif

Played the demo yesterday morning. Really enjoyed it. It's one of those linear games that doesn't feel at all linear to me. Not sure how much I like the combat, but it'll probably grow on me.

The trailer is fantastic. It blew the missus away. Afterwards she said "that looks like a really good film, a film I want to watch". Bless Naughty Dog, they do what they do so well.

I added you to my PSN friend list. Why won’t you add me back? : (

winstano

Not trying to be irritating or anything, but I've been trying to download the demo for 72 hours. The 2 GB install takes minutes to increase 0.01% of the progress. Sometime it even stop. I left my PS3 on since last night and it still manage to reach only 16%. I tried redownload the 132 MB installer several times, but all it does is reset the install progress.

Anybody else got this problem? My usual 2GB demos download from the PS Store were never this slow.

I had a similar problem with my preview build download. Do you happen to use OpenDNS? Change it to google DNS or use your ISP's default, it'll work then

Varth

Can you say if you have access to the MP or is that something you have to wait for release day?

No access per se. You have to get the online pass .pkg from PR. Sony has been finally setting up MP matches for press these last days to allow for complete reviews. They also took time for a tutorial session, since some aspects of it are somehow peculiar.

Also: Hard, no Listen Mode or marker at all. 20hrs, 170deaths, 106/??? collectables...

...and 4 trophies total :D

OwlyKnees

No access per se. You have to get the online pass .pkg from PR. Sony has been finally setting up MP matches for press these last days to allow for complete reviews. They also took time for a tutorial session, since some aspects of it are somehow peculiar.

Also: Hard, no Listen Mode or marker at all. 20hrs, 170deaths, 106/??? collectables...

170 deaths? Dark Souls level of continuous 'You Died', or did those deaths come from one or two particularly frustrating encounters?

Seems like one of those games you'll play for like 2 days before you get your first trophy.

Shit, sorry man. I hardly ever check it because I'm usually playing single player on my Vita. I'll accept as soon as I get in!

: )

Varth

170 deaths? Dark Souls level of 'You Died', or did those deaths come from one or two particularly frustrating encounters?

No markers or listen mode means that taking the wrong corner in search of stuff=mobbed=dead. running=alerting=dead. Rushing humans=mostly dead. Whole lotta things=dead.

But yeah, there are also some encounters I had to try again and again AND again, sometimes to test a different approach, sometimes because they're genuinely difficult.

Wouldn't bring DS in this, anyway.

Seems like one of those games you'll play for like 2 days before you get your first trophy.

Honestly liked this approach. Felt very fitting for the game, since its very intense, and having no stupid trophy stunt to pull makes you more focused. To the point that when I got the only one aside from the completion ones, I went "WTF?!?", since I supposed there wouldn't be any trophy in the code.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Would you recommend playing the game on hard? i mean 170 deaths ...wow i don't know if i want to die that much.

No markers or listen mode means that taking the wrong corner in search of stuff=mobbed=dead. running=alerting=dead. Rushing humans=mostly dead. Whole lotta things=dead.

But yeah, there are also some encounters I had to try again and again AND again, sometimes to test a different approach, sometimes because they're genuinely difficult.

Wouldn't bring DS in this, anyway.

Honestly liked this approach. Felt very fitting for the game, since its very intense, and having no stupid trophy stunt to pull makes you more focused. To the point that when I got the only one aside from the completion ones, I went "WTF?!?", since I supposed there wouldn't be any trophy in the code.
Love the sound of this. I love games where you have to play smart or die, a la DS.

Can you say whether the AI is as impressive as ND said/E3 demo promised? And are there any big areas to explore or maybe hub-like areas?

Varth

Would you recommend playing the game on hard? i

Won't go in detail, since it would require to discuss the gameplay itself, but yeah, it's worth it.

Also: absolutely no listen mode, but I guess everybody knows by now.

I played the demo several timies and i never used listen mode not because i purposely avoided it, but it just was something i didnt remember was in the game. maybe in the full game it'll get used.

Not to sidestep the discussion (maybe it's needs it's own topic) but I think we should all hearken back to the original TLOU trailer.

TLOU original trailer

Notice in the beginning it says "The following trailer is captured directly from a PLAYSTATION 3". I mean, they didn't say it's "in-engine" or "real-time render" (like R*) purposely misleading the audience. In fact, we found out the trailer wasn't running directly from a PS3 but a whole farm of PS3's. The thing is, wouldn't this set a bad precedent to other developers to do the same? Allowing seemingly ambiguous statements that can be passed around as false marketing. What say you? Should they have done this? What's so hard to say "Game runs in-engine/real-time?". It would be pretty crazy to proven wrong with this kind of fidelity being in the final code. But still..

Screens from Digital Foundry Tech Analysis of Demo

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-03-the-last-of-us-tech-gallery

Some excerpts

From a technical perspective, The Last of Us renders natively in 720p, featuring what seems to be a more refined version of the post-process anti-aliasing solution used in Naughty Dog's last game, Uncharted 3. There are other similarities with Drake's last outing: the artwork draws heavily on hand-painted textures, and we also see a distinct use of both pre-baked and dynamic effects, particularly where light and shadow is concerned.

"Frame-rate during traversal is reasonably solid, but noticeable judder is introduced during combat."

Of course, the demo represents just a small portion of the game in general, and from what we've seen in the trailers and developer diaries, there's far more to The Last of Us than simple skirmishes against small pockets of infected: there's a bigger world out there where the stakes are higher. The latest footage offers glimpses of locations that feature an even greater sense of scale than anything we've seen before, along with scenes that utilise a greater number of effects and enemies.

It begs the question: how well will the engine cope in dealing with more demanding scenes? Considering the clear graphical boost over the already outstanding Uncharted 3, it will certainly be interesting to find out just how Naughty Dog has refined and tailored its core technology around the differing requirements of The Last of Us.

In the demo, the impact of the frame-rate drops appears to be fairly contained in the short sequences we've encountered so far, and the focus on stealth over action is likely to help in this regard in the finished game - but how this translates across to the final release remains to be seen. The Last of Us reviews will be hitting shortly, but we'll be holding back our full technical analysis of the game until after its 14th June release date.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-last-of-us-demo

Sorc3r3r

I'm reading a lot of Manhunt references here and liking it a lot. :D

Manhunt formula was great, and i loved it back in the days, there was some polish to do here and there but the potential it to be a new approach to the stealth games was there.

I don't know why no one before ND tried to refine or reinterpret what Manhunt was proposing.(In some sense Siren tried).
Maybe was a concept too unforgiving for the new videogaming audience?

So it's even more great that a major dev, as ND are, is going to experiement on this concept that I really do not know how much the new generations may like, used as they are to storm throught worthless enemies with their unstoppable killing machine avatar.

It think that even if this game is going to sell great, between marketing and ND known quality, there will a little backlash from greener gamers.

BTW my respect for ND has raised even more with this attempt.

I'm reading a lot of Manhunt references here and liking it a lot. :D

Manhunt formula was great, and i loved it back in the days, there was some polish to do here and there but the potential it to be a new approach to the stealth games was there.

I don't know why no one before ND tried to refine or reinterpret what Manhunt was proposing.(In some sense Siren tried).
Maybe was a concept too unforgiving for the new videogaming audience?

So it's even more great that a major dev, as ND are, is going to experiement on this concept that I really do not know how much the new generations may like, used as they are to storm throught worthless enemies with their unstoppable killing machine avatar.

It think that even if this game is going to sell great, between marketing and ND known quality, there will a little backlash from greener gamers.

BTW my respect for ND has raised even more with this attempt.
What do you mean? I always wanted to play Manhunt but never got a chance to.

Andrew.

Banned
The Manhunt similarites are out the ass. From the stealth, to the grab n' kills, to the tossing bottles and bricks for distractions, to the ambient score. I have a feeling the shootouts with humans are gonna feel and be on the same wavelength too. I already mentioned how the chunky bloody headshots look eerily similar.

This is not a bad thing whatsoever.

The Manhunt similarites are out the ass. From the stealth, to the grab n' kills, to the tossing bottles and bricks for distractions, to the ambient score. I have a feeling the shootouts with humans are gonna feel and be on the same wavelength too. I already mentioned how the chunky bloody headshots look eerily similar.

This is not a bad thing whatsoever.
Cool thanks. I love stealth games so I can't wait for this game.
---
@ Varth - How's the AI? Any larger areas/hubs to explore?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Installed the demo saturday night, and it was just so beautiful. Making my way throught the environment I was just pondering to myself why I needed to buy a next gen system day one, when current gen looks this amazing?

Anyways was really enjoying making my way around, but upon reaching that point where you're facing a small number of enemies at once I simply hit a wall and could not for the life of me get past it! I wound up giving up as enemies were on me so fast I was overwhelmed every single time, no matter what I tried. Is there a silent takedown move or something I'm missing here?

Any tips?

Andrew.

Banned
Installed the demo saturday night, and it was just so beautiful. Making my way throught the environment I was just pondering to myself why I needed to buy a next gen system day one, when current gen looks this amazing?

Anyways was really enjoying making my way around, but upon reaching that point where you're facing a small number of enemies at once I simply hit a wall and could not for the life of me get past it! I wound up giving up as enemies were on me so fast I was overwhelmed every single time, no matter what I tried. Is there a silent takedown move or something I'm missing here?

Any tips?

You do know you can approach guys from behind and strangle or shiv them right?

Any tips?

Use Xray Vision, stealth kill the guy on the right

Or use bullets on the Clicker, and run and do drive by melee attacks on the rest.

BTW, is there a stamina/cooldown on sprinting away? I feel that there should be

Any tips?

I know this is not a popular answer but maybe try using "listen mode" (holding R2 down) when in that scenario to know where your enemies are?

Any tips?

Yeah, you can grab an enemy by pressing the Triangle button, and then either Square to strangle them, or Triangle to shiv them. Runners can be strangled to death, but Clickers require a shiv. Take your time, observe the patrol routes, and use bricks and bottles for a distraction. The center of the room is filled with water, so avoid it if possible. Remember to crouch. Have fun, experiment, or alternatively, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPod7awcUGU

Top Bottom