• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
I was watching Samurai X Trust & Betrayal the other day and I just about spit out my drink when I saw that it was produced by Studio Deen.
Studio DEEN has made some good stuff in the past - Maison ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura (only the second half though i think), Samurai X.

And i hear good things about Simoun, Violist of hamelin and Angel egg (which they supposedly worked on?)

Dresden

By the way, that's a nice fucking OP.

And what the fuck, last zombie episode is out.

Lafiel said:
Angel egg (which they supposedly worked on?)
They're credited for its production, so sure.

That said the DEEN of today is probably very different from the DEEEEEEEN of old.

cj_iwakura

We need more of this:

despera2-2.jpg

Surely I'm not the only one who cares.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I guess this seals it. I declare you my blood enemy.

Hating on K-On and Full Metal Panic?! Have you no soul? Next thing you're gonna tell me that you hated My Neighbor Totoro.
There is a poster above me that has something to say about that..

cj_iwakura said:
We need more of this:

Surely I'm not the only one who cares.
I care, but I've waiting for it for years and kind of forgot about it. Plus isn't the director hospitalized anyway?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Lafiel said:
Studio DEEN has made some good stuff in the past - Maison ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura (only the second half though i think), Samurai X.

And i hear good things about Simoun, Violist of hamelin and Angel egg (which they supposedly worked on?)
They also did Giant Killing which I hear is good.

Branduil

7Th said:
Wasn't that the point of the "fade-to-white" scene I was talking about? Rewatch again, man! It is clearly very suspicious.
I did watch it again since you brought it up, the movement clearly stops once they can rub foreheads and they make no movements to bring their mouths closer. Sure they could in theory do that once the scene fades, but it we're going to speculate about what happens inbetween cuts we could do it about anything, including the resurrection of Densuke and Tamako's illegal marriage to Satchi.

Wait why am I seriously arguing about this?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 1
Not a good start guys. Interesting shot and visual design choices for the otherworld stuff, but as soon as the dream ends, it's moe pandering the whole way. Madoka even LOOKS STRAIGHT INTO THE CAMERA AND SAYS SHE WISHES SHE WOULD GET A LOVE LETTER. Excuse me as I throw up. And of course the first Mahou Shoujo seen and who almost dies is a kuudere. Why don't we just give her blue hair and a questionable relationship with a bearded man while we're at it? The shift to LOOK, HERE'S THE RIVAL seems forced too, and it looks like she has some insecurities to work out.

The good is that it has an interesting approach to lighting and sound, and the visual design is unique when things get going, but really it's very uneven. I'll keep watching, see where it goes. It doesn't look BAD persay, which I never thought it was, I just don't think it'll live up to the hype some of you guys put it to.

jman2050

Hellsing321 said:
Characters that act like human beings.

Yeah, this is one element of it, though how a particular work presents its setting and narrative helps too.

Like I said though, I think trying to structure your story in a realistic way isn't really a good thing, except in certain cases. Like how Yotsuba is definitely slanted toward trying to be a realistic comedy (to an extent) but still manages to be awesome.

doomed1 said:
Not a good start guys. Interesting shot and visual design choices for the otherworld stuff, but as soon as the dream ends, it's moe pandering the whole way. Madoka even LOOKS STRAIGHT INTO THE CAMERA AND SAYS SHE WISHES SHE WOULD GET A LOVE LETTER. Excuse me as I throw up. And of course the first Mahou Shoujo seen and who almost dies is a kuudere. Why don't we just give her blue hair and a questionable relationship with a bearded man while we're at it? The shift to LOOK, HERE'S THE RIVAL seems forced too, and it looks like she has some insecurities to work out.

The good is that it has an interesting approach to lighting and sound, and the visual design is unique when things get going, but really it's very uneven. I'll keep watching, see where it goes. It doesn't look BAD persay, which I never thought it was, I just don't think it'll live up to the hype some of you guys put it to.

Episode 1 and 2 are terrible and boring.

zeroshiki

Regulus Tera said:
Your competition is 7th, not exactly world-class competition.

It was an off-season for Branduil and Lafiel. They're most likely coming back with a vengeance. Plus when you factor in ABF, everyone needs to move down a slot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
doomed1 said:

Shit sucks, go watch Star Driver instead.

Jex

cj_iwakura said:
We need more of this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/cjiwakura/despera2-2.jpg[/img

Surely I'm not the only one who cares.[/QUOTE]
Not happening any time soon.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
To keep your dreams from coming true. Are you trying to imagine lesbians into something, 7Th?

I think he's trying to trick people into watching Dennou Coil. Which I'm all for, but they shouldn't get the idea it's something it isn't.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
doomed1 said:

Watch first three episodes to get the proper feel for the series.

And don't visit past page 1 of the main series thread unless you watch it all.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This season basically all I ended up watching was kimi ni todoke 2.

I just started watching yumekui merry yesterday. So far it doesn't suck.

One of these days I'll catch up with Madoka.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:

please watch more
then post here asap :)

jman2050 said:
The problem with episode 1 and 2 is that they only work the second time through.

Yeah, I actually said "oh shit" out loud when rewatching the scene in episode 1 where
Madoka and Homura are walking to the nurse's office.

cosmicblizzard said:
Episode 1 and 2 are terrible and boring.

I thought the first two episodes were good. The show doesn't get crazy awesome until later, but they managed to a good job of captivating me right from the start.

7Th

Branduil said:
I think he's trying to trick people into watching Dennou Coil. Which I'm all for, but they shouldn't get the idea it's something it isn't.

Dennou Coil is still the story of the blossoming
not-friendship
of Yasako and Isako.

cj_iwakura

serialexperimentslain.jpg

Quite possibly the best cover illustration ever. I bought that show just on account of the artwork. Like every ABe show.

hosannainexcelsis said:
The setup seems painfully generic, but I thought the art direction made them worth watching even before Episode 3 veered off-course.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I thought the first two episodes were good. The show doesn't get crazy awesome until later, but they managed to a good job of captivating me right from the start.

Yeah, I was just being a jerk. I wasn't really even paying attention in the first 2 episodes, so I don't remember entirely what happened. That scene in episode 3 is the spark that caused me to pay careful attention to everything and not even needing to force myself to do it.

duckroll

Branduil said:
You, I and everyone all know you're watching it from start to finish whether you like it or not.

Yes, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying those are the shows I will watch at least one episode of. No point making a list of shows I will likely also watch 2 episodes of, 5 episodes of, 12 episodes of, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom