• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaname Fujioka talks Monster Hunter World: no westernization/casualization

Nightii

Banned
My definition of triple-A is basically $60 games with physical copies. So Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 all count as triple-A for me.

What I want to say is, It about time Monster Hunter gets a home console tilte that's build from the ground up and has greatly improved visuals, control (ex: camera) and bascially everything in the game.
It's not gonna make the 3DS/Switch spin off games (such as MHXX) any less fun to play.

So you just want the series to cost more? Because by your definition that is the only difference between the AAA World and the not-AAA 3DS games.

That also means that MH went AAA already when XX for the Switch in Japan got announced.

Why do you need the game to cost more and earn a label that doesn't truly equal better quality, better anything?

So you just want the series to cost more? Because by your definition that is the only difference between the AAA World and the not-AAA 3DS games.

That also means that MH went AAA already when XX for the Switch in Japan got announced.

Why do you need the game to cost more and earn a label that doesn't truly equal better quality, better anything?

I doubt you would complain about the development cost if Monster Hunter gets a dedicated Switch title that's also build from the groud up like MH:World. I would be happy with that too, give me MHSwitch, give me all the new generation Monster Hunter please.

I don't know why it is such a bad thing that Monster Hunter gets bigger, better and prettier?
It's not like the game is becoming more casual, if anything, it's going to be more hardcore and dynamic.

Monster Hunter: World is the most creative and different Monster Hunter game in 10 years, why are people sad about that?
It's not like the game got Monster Hunter XX cancelled or something. You can still play both you know? I know I will.

Rncewind

12 points and you still forget to list the main reason why you don't like MHW?!
9ovvu0I.gif

savaged

Why am I not permabanned yet

How many more threads do I have to shit up for petty reasons before it finally happens

If you wanted a permaban this whole time you could have PMd a mod. Self loathing isn't healthy man, you might want to talk to people and get help. Don't take things too personally.

lyrick

Not sure what more there is to discuss here. It's clear that you are going to continue to downplay and doomsay everything surrounding this game for the time being.

Most of this discussion comes from people claiming that MoHun AI hasn't been updated since MH1. While seemingly and mistakenly attributing a lot of what they're seeing in World as new when things like reacting to fire has been in since Gen 3.

There's some notable AI changes. If the Monsters are reacting to Sound (beyond waking from sleep/ going from white to colored eye) that's a cool addition. Fighting one another is a cool addition... shit chasing a player from one zone to another is kind of cool.

The Jagra gifs shown in this thread don't really show new AI.

Eolz

Can we stop with the "I doubt you would have any criticism towards MHW if it was on Switch / if you weren't a Nintendo fan" console warzz bullshit?

People are worried at each new MonHun (water and controls in Tri, 3DS for 3U, accessibility in 4/4U, arts and other changes in X, etc), and legit criticism exists, be it about Capcom's awful interviews or some changes that likely will only be approved once it's in the hands of the players rather than Capcom employees.

Well as an Ace Attorney fan it's hard to not assume the worst, we also know by history Capcom hasn't minded totally abandoning a current userbase for Monster Hunter. It doesn't affect me tho since fluent in japanese, but it's hard to not feel empathy for those affected by it. Also feels ironic that Capcom obviously does this to put focus on World but it will ensure XX and whatever games come next will keep being highlighted.

This sadly.
It's weird how some people don't seem to understand the anger and doubt towards Capcom when you look at the treatment of most of their franchises. The terrible communication on their side doesn't help at all.

Its really a shame that what turned out to be a false/inaccurate/old rumor completely deflated the excitement for a title that a big part of the fanbase was hoping for.

Would have been easy to avoid for Capcom:
1) localization of XXS announced at the same time or before
2) better trailer not making part of the fanbase worried about the changes
3) release the gameplay video before E3 is over on their youtube channel (instead of leak + japanese conference a week later)
4) better PR and CMs on their social networks.

Would have still left the rumor out there obviously, but you can never avoid that.
Just like the rumor about how Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom to keep the game out of the Vita.

They can still improve that of course, and if the sales are disappointing, it won't really be due to a 4chan rumor.

Nightii

Banned
I doubt you would complain about the development cost if Monster Hunter gets a dedicated Switch title that's also build from the groud up like MH:World. I would be happy with that too, give me MHSwitch, give me all the new generation Monster Hunter please.
Take the console fanboy argument to someone that gives a damn.

I don't know why it is such a bad thing that Monster Hunter gets bigger, better and prettier?
It's not like the game is becoming more casual, if anything, it's going to be more hardcore and dynamic.
Because that has no inherent relation with it being "more AAA"?

Monster Hunter: World is the most creative and different Monster Hunter game in 10 years, why are people sad about that?
It's not like the game got Monster Hunter XX cancelled or something. You can still play both you know? I know I will.
That's a bold "objective statements" about what World is going to be, I am factually wrong if I don't believe World is shaping up to be the perfect way to go about this series and should go to my corner like a fake MH fan must.

jackal27

Banned
Great to read that statement. I'm staying cautiously optimistic for sure. Really hope I can be surprised by how great it is. Now, if we can still get some portable MonHun, I'll be set.

Its really a shame that what turned out to be a false/inaccurate/old rumor completely deflated the excitement for a title that a big part of the fanbase was hoping for.

People wanted to believe a rumor that wasn't even logically consistent. For a variety of factors I'm sure but once such a rumor takes hold despite how bullshit it sounds to anyone that thinks it through for more then a minute, I don't think Capcom could've done much.

It sucks but eh, just how it is sometimes.

Parshias7

Monster Hunter World is simultaneously completely original and innovative and also the same as the old ones please nobody complain that it's different.

jrDev

I mentioned that a lot of this will rely on how well Capcom markets the game, and how well they handle beginning tutorials and content. Monster Hunter is a fun game obfuscated behind terrible documentation that is not beginner friendly. Word of mouth will do this game well though I'm sure.

Most of the established MH community will pick the game up regardless, but new players are the true unknown.

Unnecessary. We need less of this kind of vitriol tbh
That's yet to be seen since most of them are in Japan...

I also think the AI comment is pure PR, remember "the power of the cloud"?

Im not sure either to be honest.

Even though he's baiting, there is the fact that it has two analog sticks built in and the improved resolution. I mean there's the Vita version of Freedom Unite, but I can't deal with those Plesioth hips like I used to.

But that's assuming that portable is the only way you'd want to play (which mostly applies to me).

Khezu

I actually bought a Nintendo Switch for the sole purpose of playing MH.

Sure is egg on my face, now it's just going to sit in a closet forever.

Honestly, I don't even care, it coming to PC is amazing, and honestly I'm just happy the series is moving away from the 3DS and it's awful controls and ugly screen.

Id would be cool if they brought some of the old games to PC, even if just for offline play.

lyrick

Honestly, I don't even care, it coming to PC is amazing, and honestly I'm just happy the series is moving away from the 3DS and it's awful controls and ugly screen.

Id would be cool if they brought some of the old games to PC, even if just for offline play.

I'm still completely in the dark as to why Capcom brought FU to iOS and then stopped cold. No Android release, No PC release, No console revision, Just iOS.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
That's yet to be seen since most of them are in Japan...

I also think the AI comment is pure PR, remember "the power of the cloud"?

Will be hard to predict how Japan will react to the title sales-wise, but Capcom is mostly making this game as a gamble for the west. Japan still has XX Switch for that reason, since Switch's launch kinda knocked the legs off the original XX's launch arguably.

I'd imagine MHW will hit ~700k in Japan LTD. Did Japan pay for online with Tri on Wii?

Toxi

Banned

You can always import XX.

Nintendo fan here, I think MH:World is the biggest step forward for Monster Hunter franchise in recent years.
Monster Hunter should've gone triple A already, and since Capcom don't want to do it on the Switch, I am fine with them doing it on the PS4.

Monster Hunter wasn't always Nintendo exlcusive, it was also PlayStation exclusive at one point. I am not going to ignore that like some people do.

Nintendo didn't lose any ''exclusive'' with MH:World not coming to the Switch, the system simply can not run it, period. I love my Switch to death, but it's the truth.

I don't really mind, as long as Monster Hunter lives, and keep going forward with brave titles like MH:World.
I am happy.

I bought the Nintendo Switch because of Zelda, Mario and Metroid. Not because of Monster Hunter's exclusivity. The third party franchise belongs to no one but game lovers.

How can you say it can't run it period are you on the Monster Hunter team.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nintendo fan here, I think MH:World is the biggest step forward for Monster Hunter franchise in recent years.
Monster Hunter should've gone triple A already, and since Capcom don't want to do it on the Switch, I am fine with them doing it on the PS4.

Monster Hunter wasn't always Nintendo exlcusive, it was also PlayStation exclusive at one point. I am not going to ignore that like some people do.

Nintendo didn't lose any ''exclusive'' with MH:World not coming to the Switch, the system simply can not run it, period. I love my Switch to death, but it's the truth.

I don't really mind, as long as Monster Hunter lives, and keep going forward with brave titles like MH:World.
I am happy.

I bought the Nintendo Switch because of Zelda, Mario and Metroid. Not because of Monster Hunter's exclusivity. The third party franchise belongs to no one but game lovers.
Theres nothing that world is doing that the switch can't run

KiNolin

Monster Hunter World is simultaneously completely original and innovative and also the same as the old ones please nobody complain that it's different.

The series jumped next gen for the first time, that's all there is to it. The changes that they've shown aren't very radical compared to most series that eventually left PS2 tech behind.

JP_

Banned
Omg... we're back to people thinking Switch can run MHW lol

Sorry, there's a reason most multi platform games are skipping switch and it's not that they're Nintendo haters or don't want the extra sales

Omg... we're back to people thinking Switch can run MHW lol

Sorry, there's a reason most multi platform games are skipping switch and it's not that they're Nintendo haters or don't want the extra sales

The current Switch install base won't support their software? ;:^)

But yeah, I don't think MH World could run very well on Switch. There'd be too much downgraded and some people would say "well its the worst version so I'm just getting it on PC haha PC+Switch masterrace amirite or amirite."

But yeah, I don't think MH World could run very well on Switch. There'd be too much downgraded and some people would say "well its the worst version so I'm just getting it on PC haha PC+Switch masterrace amirite or amirite."

Are you kidding me? I'd be totally fine with a downgraded version as long as it ran at a stable framerate.

Edit: Especially if there was crossplay between PC/XBone/Switch

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I mean, how much downgraded do you think it'll be? We aren't talking about modern warfare Wii here, world is certainly not maxing out neither the ps4 nor xb1

Chauzu

I mean, how much downgraded do you think it'll be? We aren't talking about modern warfare Wii here, world is certainly not maxing out neither the ps4 nor xb1

Claiming no 3rd party game on PS4 or Xbox One can run on Switch is a common theme on GAF nowadays and it won't really change before some big publisher actually decides to port and downgrade a big game.

I mean, you'd think people would know better when the game is coming on PC too, and will run on PC's weaker than Switch.

Toxi

Banned
Basically, are you going to take the director of Monster Hunter 4 at his word? Because this isn't just any Capcom suit saying these things.

I can understand why people are cynical about Capcom, but the cynicism about Monster Hunter seems mostly based on the poor first trailer and the now pretty clearly debunked rumor. The series has been doing great with only a few poor decisions like not localizing XX.

I have watched the gameplay footage both leaked and official. I worded my post wrong.

What I don't like:

Damage numbers
Running around chasing the monster
The green light bug shit
The lack of strategy during the fight
How the fight played the same in both videos AND written previews
The worry about making the game more appealing to Western market
The worry about cinematics
It being exclusively in console format
Uninspiring monsters design so far
Dragon's Dogma reskin and let's climb the monster
Horizon reskin let's hide in bushes
Terrible AI for stealth sequences

What I like:

Graphics
All weapons

1) You ran around and chased monsters in the previous games too though...
2) How is there any less strategy in what they showed? You're making this up.
3) Dragon's Dogma reskin? You sound just as bad as the "it looks like Uncharted" guy.
4) Horizon invented hiding in bushes.

Edit: Fights play the same? You're either making something else up or just didn't actually watch the videos released so far. Christ.

Never change Sammy. I think you're creating issues out of nothing. The four I highlighted are especially asinine.

Raide

Cannot wait to get some more in-depth gameplay on MH World. Just seeing how the world (Haha) is fleshed out, how the zones mix in, how travel will be done, what changes have been done to Palico, maybe even some interesting gameplay changes for Arena mode etc...

...but all this negativity and squabbling is getting me down. I know I should not expect super positive threads about a new game all the time but for some reason, MH World has been getting some really negative focus thrown at it and I am not sure 100% sure why.

JP_

Banned
Because that's a design choice.
The Switch could absolutely run MHW at 720p with simpler shadows/lighting, but could we get back on topic?
What are you basing this on? Design choice to cap a game at 30 when it could run at 60? Makes no sense. Switch has half the ram, inferior CPU/GPU that underclocks further while undocked, different GPU architecture -- you guys are underestimating the difficulty. If it really was so easy, you'd see more games doing it.

Weird coincidence that many of the same people critical of MHW think it'd be an easy port to Switch and Capcom must have some other reason for not porting it

713175884f15ec7533261bc08d255e6d.png

Toxi

Banned
Cannot wait to get some more in-depth gameplay on MH World. Just seeing how the world (Haha) is fleshed out, how the zones mix in, how travel will be done, what changes have been done to Palico, maybe even some interesting gameplay changes for Arena mode etc...

...but all this negativity and squabbling is getting me down. I know I should not expect super positive threads about a new game all the time but for some reason, MH World has been getting some really negative focus thrown at it and I am not sure 100% sure why.
The first trailer combined with the 4chan rumor really got some people worried. I feel Capcom should have really showed off the traditional Monster Hunter combat a bit more in the reveal.

At this point though, it's pretty clear that the rumor was bullshit and that the combat is pretty similar to past Monster Hunter games.

1) You ran around and chased monsters in the previous games too though...
2) How is there any less strategy in what they showed? You're making this up.
3) Dragon's Dogma reskin? You sound just as bad as the "it looks like Uncharted" guy.
4) Horizon invented hiding in bushes.

Edit: Fights play the same? You're either making something else up or just didn't actually watch the videos released so far. Christ.

Never change Sammy. I think you're creating issues out of nothing. The four I highlighted are especially asinine.

To add to this, you can disable the damage numbers.

Raide

The first trailer combined with the 4chan rumor really got some people worried. I feel Capcom should have really showed off the traditional Monster Hunter combat a bit more in the reveal.

Agreed. The 4chan stuff threw everyone into a fuss and then having the actually footage/reveal not really clear things up, also made it harder to convince people. The subsequent gameplay footage and various community videos had done a great deal for me personally when it comes to getting hyped for World. I am naturally a optimistic person, so I am trying t see the good in World but I can also see why some are unhappy with its direction/choice of format.

Khezu

I hope this was at least after switch xx was revealed because dude.

Nah, I pre ordered the switch the second I was allowed to.

I figured that Capcom would continue making MH exclusive to Nintendo portables because they hate me and want me to suffer.

Never been so happy to be wrong.

That said, despite all that, Switch is alright, so I don't regret buying it.
Zelda was fun, and the portable/home console gimmick is novel enough that I will use it sometimes.

Top Bottom