• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point, how would you rank the 3DS' first party support?

Jubenhimer

We're about six years into the life of the Nintendo 3DS, and it's built up a lineup of great releases, particularly from Nintendo themselves. How would you rank the system's first party lineup compared to other Nintendo consoles? With titles like Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, the Pokemon titles, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Echoes, The Zelda remakes, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, plus unique digital offerings like the BoxBoy trilogy and Pushmo, as well as promising upcoming games, like Metroid: Samus Returns. I'd honestly consider the 3DS up there with Nintendo's best, among the ranks of the N64 and SNES TBH.

I feel Nintendo did play it a bit safer with the 3DS than the DS, but not nearly to the extent of the Wii U. The sheer variety of Nintendo's output on the 3DS is possibly what makes it some of their best for me, and even after the release of it's successor, the Nintendo Switch, it still continues to get great games, which is impressive for a 2011 handheld with a 240p resolution.

A sampling:

568%20-%20Kid%20Icarus.%20Uprising%20-%208%20-%2023-03-2012%20-%20Action%20Adventure.jpg

fire-emblem-awakening-264101.10.jpg

BoxBoy_art.jpg

entremet

It's the best for dedicated Nintendo handhelds.

People love the GBA, but many of those were SNES ports.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3DS and especially Wii U killed it with their first party games. Hell I consider the Wii U to be the best console of that generation and a good 95% of that is first party.

maxcriden

Yes, I will gladly second this. It has the best support any Nintendo handheld has ever had and some of the best support any Nintendo system has had.

My faves (in no order):

3DL
NSMB2
DKCR3D
LM2
KI:U
LBW
TFH
MM3D
KTD
KPR
M&L:DT
PMSS
Pushmo
Stretchmo
BOXBOY!

Best of Nintendo's handheld line. Best handheld Mario. Best handheld Zelda.
Has the worst entries in the Mario RPG spin offs which is pretty upsetting.
I think quality and ambition kept decreasing every year after year 2 or so, tho

TheMoon

I don't see any other option than A+ honestly.

An additional plus could have been earned if we had ended up with an F-Zero and Advance Wars entry on it. Or a Golden Sun.

But what they did bring is just pure A-game. The library, even limited to first party, is just insane.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The 3DS is one of Nintendo's best software libraries, if not THE best, IMHO.

Practically every major Nintendo franchise is represented outside of F-Zero.

The best Animal Crossing yet, a revival of Kid Icarus, both a great 3D Mario and a great 2D Mario, a remake of Metroid 2 that's looking really good, great sequels like Luigi's Mansion 2 and A Link Between Worlds, great continuations of DS titles such as Tomodachi Life and the Style Savvy series and scads of new IP including Miitopia, Dillon's Rolling Western, BoxBoxBoy, Pushmo, and others I'm forgetting.

A super well-rounded system for sure. Definitely Nintendo's best handheld library, and best handheld hardware considering the backwards compatibility with DS games, DSiWare and the Virtual Console.

3DS and especially Wii U killed it with their first party games. Hell I consider the Wii U to be the best console of that generation and a good 95% of that is first party.

My man. It's a real tossup between the Wii and Wii U for favorite software library in my book, but the fact that the Wii U plays both makes it Nintendo's best hardware to date.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best of Nintendo's handheld line. Best handheld Mario. Best handheld Zelda.
I think quality and ambition kept decreasing every year after year 2 or so, tho
Has the worst entries in the Mario RPG spin offs which is pretty upsetting.

2013 was a great year for the system. One of the best of any system. That being said 2016 was no slouch either.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Best 1st party support since the original Gameboy. 3rd party support was a step back from the DS though.

A lot of them grew on me a lot over time. I straight up did not like 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion (doesn't really count as first party but oh well) and Mario Kart 7 at first, but they've grown on me immensely. I've put well over 200 hours into MK7 thanks to the fun online. It might be my favorite Mario Kart. Just please try and get rid of the hackers.

Trace

Banned
Supported fantastically. I absolutely hate the platform itself and wish that development energy had been spent literally anywhere else, but I can't knock the games.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A lot of them grew on me a lot over time. I straight up did not like 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion (doesn't really count as first party but oh well) and Mario Kart 7 at first, but they've grown on me immensely. I've put well over 200 hours into MK7 thanks to the fun online. It might be my favorite Mario Kart. Just please try and get rid of the hackers.

If it's published by Nintendo, it's a first party release.

...which is impressive for a 2011 handheld with a 240p resolution.:

People just can't resist the phrase "240p".

Good games are good games regardless of the resolution they're operating at. Christ.

The main things that stand out for me when it comes to the 3DS's First Party Support:

- Fantastic pair of mainline Kirby games

- Mario spin-offs besides Mario Kart 7 were mostly duds

- Luigi's Mansion 2 was a nice surprise even if it had its flaws

- Very little to get excited about in the systems past few years if you aren't into RPGs

Absolutely excellent. Though it wasn't as crazy as with new stuff like the DS was with Brain Age, Nintendogs, Tomodachi which all saw 3DS sequels.

Mii Plaza was a pleasant surprise and one kf my most played games of the generation.

Also except for Mario Tennis I would take the Wii U titles with direct equivalents over the 3DS one.

NSMBU>NSMBU
MK8>MK7
Smash U>Smash 3D
Color Splash>Sticker Star
3D World>3D Land

It's why I'm so excited for them to be combining both the handheld and home lines with the Switch.

Zalman

Best first-party support for any handheld ever. Heck, I'd say it even rivals the best home consoles.

Most Nintendo IPs have been accounted for on the 3DS. The biggest omissions are things like F-Zero, Punch-Out and Wario, but when you look at what it does have, it's still very impressive. There are franchises you would never expect here, like Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Xenoblade and Luigi's Mansion.

Incredible platform.

phanphare

Banned
it's the best line up of first party Nintendo games for any of their handheld systems and rivals many consoles as well

the 3DS has a damn fine library

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is often not the definition used in the video game industry but w/e

The alternative is arguing that games developed outside of Nintendo aren't first party.

If that's the logic a lot of software previously thought to be first party isn't, including all recent Fire Emblem releases, the Metroid Prime franchise, and more.

Jubenhimer

The smartphone effect was palpable. SE dominated on the DS and was mostly absent on the 3DS.

Sqaure Enix actually backed the 3DS quite heavily, in Japan at least. It still sucks that they left localizing all the Bravely and Dragon Quest games to Nintendo though.

The alternative is arguing that games developed outside of Nintendo aren't first party.

If that's the logic a lot of software previously thought to be first party isn't, including all recent Fire Emblem releases, the Metroid Prime franchise, and more.

I think the distinction is worth making in some cases of discussion, but probably not this one.

18-Volt

Good:
- Mario 3D Land was one of the best Mario titles in recent years.
- LoZ: Link Between Worlds is a different, fresh take on classic gameplay. Instant classic.
- Smash has appeared first time on a handheld
- Kid Icarus is definitely the biggest and most ambitious release on a handheld
- Two Fire Emblem games, both are best in the series, revived the franchise
- Cool remasters (Zelda, Starfox)

Bad:
- 2D platformers are considerably worse then predecessors (Yoshi, NSMB2, Kirby)
- Pokémon had two gens, they were good but not better then previous entries (Diamond & Pearl and Black & White)
- Too many filler games! (Federation Force, Mario Party, Animal Crossing HHD, Chibi Robo, Pikmin)
- No entries for many franchises (Advance Wars, Wario (wtf?), Starfox, Custom Robo, Golden Sun)
- Useless quick port jobs (DKC Returns, Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker)
- New IP's were treated badly: Codename Steam, Ever Oasis
- Despite the big success of Mario 3D Land, 3D platformer genre ignored
- Mario has been milked to hell (2 Mario Party games, 3 Mario Sports games, 3 Mario & Luigi games)

Overall: 6.5/10

Zalman

Best first-party handheld lineup

DS had better third-party support though, so I prefer its catalog overall
I used to say this too, but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the 3DS.

I look at the DS and what it introduced. The standouts for me are Ace Attorney and Professor Layton. Both of those are accounted for on the 3DS. The DS also had a bunch of great Dragon Quest remakes, which the 3DS also eventually got. 3DS is now also getting remakes of DS Atlus games such as Radiant Historia, plus it has new original content like Bravely Default.

I used to think it was night and day when it comes to third-parties on DS and 3DS, but in the end I actually think they're very close. And of course, 3DS first-party blows the DS' out of the water.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sqaure Enix actually backed the 3DS quite heavily, in Japan at least. It still sucks that they left localizing all the Bravely and Dragon Quest games to Nintendo though.

SE got spooked after releasing three 3DS games more or less back to back in the early days of the system and none of them doing particularly amazing. Dream Drop Distance in particular must have spooked them with its low numbers.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Number 1 all time for Nintendo and it puts the 3DS as the number 2 overall console behind the PS2. That's how good the the output is.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Its outstanding. You could give it to a person whos never played games and they would have amazing experiences for a long, long time

dickroach

Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Golden Sun
Mother 3
WarioWare
Mario & Luigi
Pokemon R/S/E
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Zelda Minish Cap
Advance Wars
Kirby & the Mirror
Fire Emblem

the only ports were what?
ALTTP, DKC, Mario 2,3, World, and Yoshis Island?

3DS had just as many.
Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, Xenoblade, DKC Returns, Woolly World, Mario Maker,

but yeah, the 3DS had a great run. now on to its successor, the mighty 2DS!

18-Volt

woah woah woah

the kirby games for 3DS were great

They were great. But not as great as likes of Epic Yarn or Mass Attack. Both 3Ds Kirby games were same-old gameplay; mash button the beat up everyone. 3DS needed fresh ideas like Mass Attack or Rainbow Curse.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's outstanding. Very few consoles can boast about having such a great first party library natively. And if you start counting DS and Virtual Console games...

Worst overall after the Wii U and maybe the NES and GB too, only true highlight is Kid Icarus

OK.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wooly World is also better than any DS Yoshi game.

I'd take Kirby's 3DS games over the DS games in a second, with the only truly great one being Canvas Curse.

A Link Between Worlds and the two remakes easily destroy Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and 4 Swords DSi.

Sun and Moon are the best Pokémon games period, though I do really like Black 2/White 2 and Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

I'd take NSMB2 over NSMB in a heart beat. It's got great level design and co-op is a blast. 3D Land over Mario 64 DS is a no brainer as well.

3DS also has better Fire Emblem games, though DS does win by having two Advance Wars titles.

3DS is also missing the pretty good adventure games Nintendo released on DS like Trace Memory and the two Hotel Dusk games.

The only true DS victory over 3DS is that Bowser's Inside Story is the best Mario and Luigi game by far.

goldenpp72

Very good, i'd argue the year of 2017 would be better than the entire lifespan of the Vita first party wise, didn't expect that coming into it.

Top Bottom