• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution review thread

Looking at which sites are giving which scores it seems like it's good enough by the standards of low-to-mid-budget weeb games like Neptunia, Senran Kagura, and Atelier but awful by the standards of Valkyria Chronicles, particularly the more "mainstream" audience the original drew in that typically doesn't go in on games that look that anime.

Strings

Looking at which sites are giving which scores it seems like it's good enough by the standards of low-to-mid-budget weeb games like Neptunia, Senran Kagura, and Atelier but awful by the standards of Valkyria Chronicles, particularly the more "mainstream" audience the original drew in that typically doesn't go in on games that look that anime.

Jesus, don't compare this to Atelier. And I seriously doubt anyone is hating on this because it's an 'anime' game. Like, eugh, it's just not a very good game.

Jesus, don't compare this to Atelier. And I seriously doubt anyone is hating on this because it's an 'anime' game. Like, eugh, it's just not a very good game.

I do get the sentiment...recently it feels like the latest Atelier games are increasingly being phoned in...almost as if they are rolling off an assembly line.

the game is $25 in the argentinian store and I'm kinda tempted but with these reviews I will wait for price drop $15 is a good price imo

IpsoFacto

Well, as soon as I finished my lunch break, I logged into base.com (since the game's actual release date is still June 30th) and turns out they already shipped my copy of the game. I'll try it out and give my impressions here, asap.

I am baffled that this got an Xbox port. Don't JRPGs not do so hot on Xbox? I feel a game like Yakuza would do better on it but for some reason they decided to go with a niche JRPG that was already received poorly in Japan.

I guess it's just too hard for SEGA to give us more of what made the original great. This series has been woefully mismanaged ever since the sequel.

AmuroChan

I am baffled that this got an Xbox port. Don't JRPGs not do so hot on Xbox? I feel a game like Yakuza would do better on it but for some reason they decided to go with a niche JRPG that was already received poorly in Japan.

Well, Phil did say he's talking with JP devs to bring more JRPGs to Xbox. Well, here it is!

Sacrilege.

Nyoro SF

Some people have the wrong idea. Revolution is poor all around but it's not an otaku fanservice game.

Also Sega didn't make this game as a response to PC VC1 sales. Pre-production and actual development of VAR started before that release.

Also Valkyria hasn't been neglected as a series in Japan. It was only a short break for them; around four years between VC3's release and VAR starting dev, and that was just because the stars hadn't aligned for them to work on another title in that meantime.

Also an important thing to keep in mind is that VC1 bombed on console release in both territories. We can try to guess forever why that happened, but it's just good to keep that as a reminder before requesting an HD console Chronicles sequel.

see5harp

Why would that make any difference in a review thread for a shitty ass game?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Most likely its because the vita is dying out and they were unknown about Nintendo, so they feel they have to expand no matter how small the audience is.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So let me get this straight:

SEGA had a fantastic game in Valkyria Chronicles 1, and decided to shit on everything it got right, transformed into an action game and Otaku fanwank and decided to release it?

How thick are they for not recognizing the appeal of the grounded "anime" style that the first had, allied to the fantastic strategy gameplay?

VC was almost 10 years ago. Its safe to say that all the brain children of that game have moved on long ago, likely right after VC1 even.

I'm with Toad here. It's easy and lazy to say Xbox owners don't care about Japanese games. Maybe *some* Xbox owners DO care about Japanese games, but when you give them Valkryia Azure Revolution instead of VC Remastered and then complain that Xbox owners don't like Japanese games when a critically panned game doesn't sell anything on the system, then you aren't making a good case.

Toad is saying if they would have gone with VC Remastered then they have a better shot of making a port of a game more worthwhile on Xbox. That's not to say it will sell anywhere near PS4, but if you are going to spend money porting a game, you mine as well port a game people may want MORE.

And by the way, Koch Media/Deep Silver are not sanctioning any port lol. The game is ported and published by SEGA. You think just because Koch picks up physical discs that they are paying for the game to be ported? No. They are funding its physical existence and have no relationship to its digital existence. SEGA is credited as the developer and publisher on the digital store page, media.vision isn't even mentioned

Fair enough in regards to the deep silver aspect, but in that case, i put the blame fully on Sega making the stupidest decisions about localization and funding of these projects.

In regards to Xbox gamers, the minority of folks on that platform who like Japanese games are not enough to outweigh the absolutely maddening levels of "i don't like weeb weird japanese games anyway" mindset the majority share. Only FF15 was spared that, and even then...

If they think they are gonna get any meaningful sales, i can say right now just based on my experiences that its gonna be a fools errand

Innolis

I expected as much. Will still get for the lovely music and the raita designs.

This is probably one of those cases where they should've stuck to their guns instead of trying please the fans.

This is probably one of those cases where they should've stuck to their guns instead of trying please the fans.
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the changes they made only gameplay related since the demo was poorly received? Sounds like not making the changes wouldn't have made a difference.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VC was almost 10 years ago. Its safe to say that all the brain children of that game have moved on long ago, likely right after VC1 even.

IIRC the people who helmed that game work on mobile primarily now.

Edit:

It looks like several were on 7th Dragon III.

Nyoro SF

The reasoning behind the Xbox version seems simple enough.

Keep in mind the One version was announced before Revolution was released in Japan by about two months. That means that the porting process had begun at least a few months ahead of that. In other words, Sega America were likely not aware that the game was going to get a bad reception in Japan ~6 months in advance.

Now combine it with this phrase "Valkyria is popular in the West", something that Sega Japan has acknowledged themselves several times. If you have an anime-styled title that has name recognition in the West, then what better game to test the waters with to see if Xbox One is a viable platform for Japanese game releases? VC1 PC wasn't released with this mentality in mind, but it paid off for Sega, so why not try the same with Xbox?

Just trying to illuminate some of the potential thought processes that led to such a decision, even if it seems obvious now that the game is not good. Either Sega America had an inflated view of how strong the Valkyria IP is, or they just have producers with bad understanding of what makes a game good. It's also possible the situation was outside of their control.

I would love to know who ported the game to XOne, but it was likely a subcontractor that's not identified (unless someone has data somewhere pointing to a company).

RAITA didn't do any of the designs for this game. The artist for this game is Kiyohara Hiro.

Innolis

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the changes they made only gameplay related since the demo was poorly received? Sounds like not making the changes wouldn't have made a difference.

To my understanding, the main complaint was that it wasn't "tactical" enough. Which probably forced them to shoe-horn as much tactical stuff from the old games as they could while still keeping the action focus.

Obviously there's no way to know how it would've turned out had they gone that way but It was a demo and I feel they could've used the time to polish the action gameplay instead of trying to be something it wasn't. The original game was very deliberate in what it was trying to do and this one seems to have always been conceived as a musou/action type of game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
IIRC the people who helmed that game work on mobile primarily now.

Edit:

It looks like several were on 7th Dragon III.

Expected. No wonder media.vision has been their go to since, although i can't say its really worked out for them

Z3M0G

It's crazy how difficult it is for a new good JRPG to release on Vita... It seems like there is a new high-quality-looking JRPG releasing on Vita every 2 weeks lately, but so far none of them have been worth playing...

Thank god I re-discovered Freedom Wars this week...

So it's Federation Force but for Valkyria Chronicles instead of Metroid Prime.

Got it.

No... Freedom Force has good gameplay... this looks to have terrible gameplay.

Some people have the wrong idea. Revolution is poor all around but it's not an otaku fanservice game.

Also Sega didn't make this game as a response to PC VC1 sales. Pre-production and actual development of VAR started before that release.

Also Valkyria hasn't been neglected as a series in Japan. It was only a short break for them; around four years between VC3's release and VAR starting dev, and that was just because the stars hadn't aligned for them to work on another title in that meantime.

Also an important thing to keep in mind is that VC1 bombed on console release in both territories. We can try to guess forever why that happened, but it's just good to keep that as a reminder before requesting an HD console Chronicles sequel.

Yeah, had they held off on starting development for another year or so this game would probably be very different and much more like VC1. Moving the franchise in this direction makes sense when looking at the state of the series before November 2014, less so after the PC and PS4 re-releases of the original sold over a million copies.

Confirmed. The franchise is dead.
I don't think Sega's so dumb as to take this game bombing as a sign that people don't want Valkyria games anymore, especially not after how well the VC1 ports did. Some of the statements they've made both before and after the game's Japanese release have implied as much as well.

Aters

Buy something else. Even on Xbox one.

Just wondering, how can a professional game media be so bias against a console manufacturer? I mean sure you can post whatever you feel like on GAF, but when you are representing your site, which I think you are in this case, isn't it against some integrity rules? Or the media doesn't even have such rules? More amusing is that the site is called "Attack of the Fanboy".

Before anyone calling me a fanboy, I've never owned any Microsoft console in my life, and I probably never will.

Jeez, I was hoping it would be average, but after seeing the first 30 minutes and all these reviews this is shaping up to be worse than Star Ocean 4.

Went ahead and cancelled my order beforehand, what a shame.

jbug617

Banned
I forgot to cancel my preorder
DDV8Mk2UMAAD0jZ

Keinning

In regards to Xbox gamers, the minority of folks on that platform who like Japanese games are not enough to outweigh the absolutely maddening levels of "i don't like weeb weird japanese games anyway" mindset the majority share.

That mindset doesn't exist. Many people don't care about japanese games when they buy a xbox, true, but that's because japanese games don't hit xbox anyway, why would you buy one if you mainly wanted those titles? This "eugh weeb keep out from my xbawks" nonsense is a very small (but maybe vocal seeing as it keep being mentioned every single time) minority which is present in PS4 as well (or you think madden/fifa dudebros on PS4 love japanese games too? please)

Zafir

Shame.

I might still get it when it's £10-£15 or something just to see what its like, but yeah, probably not worth the already discounted price they're selling it at.

Man. Sega fucked up.

First game was great, but poorly marketed.
2nd game was good, irrelevant to the tone of the first game, a bit difficult for some, and only on PSP.
3rd game never came to the US.

We're never getting a 4, and it's not our fault. :(

The anime based on the first game was pretty good, in my opinion, and I'm not a big fan of anime. Did a good job telling the first game's story in a way that works better for TV.

Kuro

I'm legit mad you just compared the Atelier series to Neptunia and Senran Kagura.

Top Bottom