• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 08/25 - 08/31

Whoa slooow week. Interesting that FF will become the best selling in the series though. Also interesting that Inazuma is already plummeting - I hope the Anime etc. will spark some life. Afrika is holding up better than I thought, maybe it can even crawl its way to 100k. Certainly not something they imagined when they first tooted its horn but considering how the project came along after the reveal it's not a catastrophe at least.

Even in this slow week RT amazes.

Oh and do we have the sell-through percentage for Blue Dragon? That would be interesting.

botticus

Captain Smoker said:
Rythm Tengoku should the 23th million seller on the NDS.

Dragon Quest VI and Dragon Quest IX should be million sellers too = 25 million sellers

I wonder if the DS is going to overtake the SNES (= 28 million sellers). ^^
I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of older games like Flash Focus, Layton, Cooking Navi, etc creeping up towards a million by the time we get another update.

Laguna

Banned
After seeing these numbers for both Dragon Quest remakes I wonder what this team will do after DQ6r is released. SQEX would be insane to let this cashcow go, the only question will be if they go back to remaking the first Dargon Quest games or rather go straight to DQ7. There were also hints that there may be a new installment in the DQM series. I think that the DQ francise alone will generate at least 4 new million sellers for NDS. (with 6,9, likely another remake and a new Monster installment)

It will be funny if there will be also a Monster Hunter DS next year if PS0 succedes :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of older games like Flash Focus, Layton, Cooking Navi, etc creeping up towards a million by the time we get another update.

I think WRT Layton, both Layton 1 and 2 should get bumps when Layton 3 is released, but I don't think either will hit a million without a budget rerelease to help them move. I just don't think there's enough stock out there to make it to a million and I can't imagine L1 is still in print.

Laguna said:
After seeing these numbers for both Dragon Quest remakes I wonder what this team will do after DQ6r is released. SQEX would be insane to let this cashcow go, the only question will be if they go back to remaking the first Dargon Quest games or rather go straight to DQ7. There were also hints that there may be a new installment in the DQM series. I think that the DQ francise alone will generate at least 4 new million sellers for NDS. (with 6,9, likely another remake and a new Monster installment)

Maybe ArtePiezza will use their DQ cash sacks to fund Opoona DS? :lol

Stumpokapow suggested a software group for million sellers. So I did that, as well as smaller groups for multi-million sellers.

1+ million
2+ million
3+ million
4+ million
5+ million

You'll notice that the images say stuff like "1-PERC-2B million" instead of "1+ million". Looks like an unintentional side-effect of the "forum friendly" URLs that I'll need to fix sooner or later.

Also note that though there's no way to manipulate it directly at the group pages, ordering results by something other than sales from greatest to least is a hidden possibility. Copying the "&orderby=" part of a search result URL will work, but considering the talk has been about how many different systems have, the relevant thing to append to any of the above URLs would be &orderby=Platform

These just have the SKUs that have currently reached these milestones by the data included in the database. So if there are some that would if we combined rereleases, or that are sitting at 980K and have probably passed since we last saw them, they're out of luck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So Fatal Frame 4 has done better than the others, yes? That's good (for Tecmo and for FF fans like meeeee). How about this Afrika business-- doing better than expected? Kind of want to see it in America, not that it really matters how it does in Japan.

and bd+ lolz

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Y2Kev said:
So Fatal Frame 4 has done better than the others, yes? That's good (for Tecmo and for FF fans like meeeee).

Well we have no way of telling what expectations were, but the initial shipment was 35k and it's about the become the best-selling installment in the series despite seriously recall-worthy glitching issues, so I'd say, yeah, that's good.

How about this Afrika business-- doing better than expected? Kind of want to see it in America, not that it really matters how it does in Japan.

Sinobi reported that initial sellthrough was brisk and given that the game isn't getting a Euro release and might not get a US release, I'd say that's a sign Sony had no sales faith in it. So on the whole I'd say it's better than most of us were expecting whether or not it ends up profitable.

and bd+ lolz

Continuing Mistwalker's rich tradition of profitable, publisher-pleasing games :lol :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
does any you guys have data on the ds-10 sales to-date?

All-Time Top10 Publisher [Updated numbers]

Total number of games: 4.491
Total number of units: 790.359.420
Average: 175.987

Number of games / Publisher / Units total / Averaget / Total market share
Code:
396x Nintendo		265.448.628		670.325		33,59%
471x Konami		 60.223.567		127.863		 7,62%
 86x Square		 51.846.999		602.872		 6,56%
246x Capcom		 47.838.643		194.466		 6,05%
217x SCE		 42.742.072		196.968		 5,41%
255x Bandai		 36.012.148		141.224		 4,56%
 44x Enix		 34.755.778		789.904		 4,40%
305x Sega		 34.368.826		112.685		 4,35%
137x Namco		 29.919.863		218.393		 3,79%
 99x Square Enix	 28.529.769		288.179		 3,60%
157x Bandai Namco	 16.872.200		107.466		 2,14%
155x Koei		 16.455.795		106.166		 2,08%
107x Banpresto		 16.326.686		152.586		 2,07%
 96x Hudson		 16.114.229		167.857		 2,04%
 60x Tecmo		  5.984.416		 99.740		 0,76%

No system over 50k, omg, calling out JJS, when was the last time this happened? On the same day as the LHC thing, must be related :p

Surprised by Wii getting a 5k bump, going by last week difference between trackers it looks like Famitsu (was way off and) is trying to correct its error. It'll be interesting to see MC numbers for this week.

markatisu

Dascu said:
Fatal Frame 4 and WarioLand are hanging in there. Nice.

Yup so once again gaf over-reacts calling both of those a bomb when the 1st week sales came out

This "evergreen" concept is really starting to take hold, slow and steady I guess

WarioLand could pass 100k if it stays in the Top 30 for 2-3 more weeks, and Fatal Frame might even get to 70k before leaving
4. Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken (NDS) 16.000 [220.000]

Go Fire Emblem!!

Zihark

Wow impressed with FF4 and WLS still hanging on-nice numbers. And yay, goooo FE its doing great- its true DS revives franchises. FE has done over 200k-sweet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
blu said:
does any you guys have data on the ds-10 sales to-date?

To expand on Segata's point, it's being sold exclusively through Amazon Japan, which is not tracked.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No system over 50k, omg, calling out JJS, when was the last time this happened? On the same day as the LHC thing, must be related :p

All weeks where no system is over 50k, and the number sold by the highest system. 2006-02-20 was the last week when that happened.

Data was as follows:
Code:
2006-02-20 	DS 	39373
2006-02-20 	PSP 	35865
2006-02-20 	PS2 	25295
2006-02-20 	GBASP 	7334
2006-02-20 	GBM 	4079
2006-02-20  	GCN  	1508
2006-02-20 	X360 	1082

2006-02-06 also had this happen, and was additionally around the 30th worst week of all time. The worst week of all time was 2000-11-20 when, :lol :lol all systems collectively sold only 40k.

markatisu said:
Yup so once again gaf over-reacts calling both of those a bomb when the 1st week sales came out

Well, I think most were pleasantly surprised at the performance of FFIV actually, given the bug reports and issues other series have had transitioning from PS2 to Wii, but it has been a very pleasant surprise to see it hold on in the charts long enough to (imminently) become the best-performing entry in the series.

WL has shown impressive staying-power, but there's no getting away from the fact that is has not performed as well as previous entries in the series (even the pretty naff Kaizou Wario did better) and it's reasonable to view it as a bit of a disappointment, even if some GAFers overreacted.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
markatisu said:

I really don't think that's a fair analysis.

Fatal Frame's first week sales were deemed good and in-line with the series by virtually everyone whose posts I bother to read in these threads. The only argument about FF4 being a bomb was that 60k for a console game is a bomb. And that's true by far and large--FF games are clearly not cash cows. However within the accepted expectations for the series, it did well, and GAF recognized that.

WLS is still a bomb. Wario World GCN sold 150k. Wario Master of Disguise sold 300k. Both of those were SUBSTANTIAL falls from Wario Land 4's 500k as well as the cheap-to-produce less-risky 500k+ obtained by every WarioWare (except GCN which did 400k). If WLS was a risk, I don't see how the worst sales in series history could be considered a reward.

That it managed to use legs to avoid cratering and potential climb itself up to GCN-level software sales is not a success.

jimbo

Banned
DSL: 49.000
PSP: 33.000
WII: 29.000
PS3: 8.500
PS2: 7.800
360: 840

Will wait for MC confirmation, especially after last week, but if the Wii is indeed dropping like that.....Hell could REALLY freeze over next week. 360 > Wii anyone? Brace yourselves.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jimbo said:
Will wait for MC confirmation, especially after last week, but if the Wii is indeed dropping like that.....Hell could REALLY freeze over next week. 360 > Wii anyone? Brace yourselves.

erm i very highly doubt this. the 360 isn't going to resume sales at 20k+ per week.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
thanks for the ds-10 info, Segata and Stumpokapow. it's a shame its sales are so utterly untrackable. let's hope it will be different in NA.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
blu said:
thanks for the ds-10 info, Segata and Stumpokapow. it'a shame its sales are so utterly untrackable. let's hope it will be different in NA.

It will be tracked in NA, but the odds of anyone without an NPD subscription seeing the sales are 0%; it won't make the DS top 10 for any month (a barrier set normally from 40k-80k or so), so even assuming we have a very data-rich month where we deduce all the top 10 figures per console, you still won't see the figures. Sorry :(

NeonZ

jimbo said:

Huh... if you're following the Famitsu numbers, the Wii got a 5k increase compared to last week, not a drop.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Captain Smoker said:
How can I forget that. xD

=> 26 million sellers

And I think its a pretty safe bet the first two Laytons will pass that mark after the holidays and Layton 3's launch

d+pad

jimbo said:

Uh, didn't someone already point out that Wii is up this week compared to last? Regardless, there's no way in hell 360 is going to top the Wii next week. Hell, it probably won't even top the PS3!

Johann

It's not that surprising. A niche for Western games has been forming for the 360 and PS3. A lot of it has to do with more Western titles having good localizations and less Japanese games being released for the PS3.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jimbo said:

Wait...what?

This may be crazy talk, but what is your justification that the 360 would outsell the Wii?

Syntek

Hcoregamer00 said:
Wait...what?

This may be crazy talk, but what is your justification that the 360 would outsell the Wii?

Infinite undiscovery, price drops, and restock I'm guessing. I don't think it'll happen though, might outsell the PS3, but not the Wii.

jimbo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Wait...what?

Well if ToV by itself can sell 24,000 Xboxes in one week...and sell the thing out....

....price drop + IU+ re-stocking + whatver left over demand there may still be for ToV all hitting the same day-tomorrow-should AT LEAST do the same.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fatal Frame IV is doing really well- going by Famitsu, it actually went up this week. I never would have thought it would display legs after the bugs and pretty low first week.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jimbo said:
Well if ToV by itself can sell 24,000 Xboxes in one week...and sell the thing out....

....price drop + IU+ re-stocking + whatver left over demand there may still be for ToV all hitting the same day-tomorrow-should AT LEAST do the same.

You think a new IP will do as well as a Tales game? And there's no way it'll catch the Wii.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
I really don't think that's a fair analysis.

Fatal Frame's first week sales were deemed good and in-line with the series by virtually everyone whose posts I bother to read in these threads. The only argument about FF4 being a bomb was that 60k for a console game is a bomb. And that's true by far and large--FF games are clearly not cash cows. However within the accepted expectations for the series, it did well, and GAF recognized that.

WLS is still a bomb. Wario World GCN sold 150k. Wario Master of Disguise sold 300k. Both of those were SUBSTANTIAL falls from Wario Land 4's 500k as well as the cheap-to-produce less-risky 500k+ obtained by every WarioWare (except GCN which did 400k). If WLS was a risk, I don't see how the worst sales in series history could be considered a reward.

That it managed to use legs to avoid cratering and potential climb itself up to GCN-level software sales is not a success.

Nice analysis.

cat_happy1.jpg

jimbo

Banned
Kagari said:
You think a new IP will do as well as a Tales game? And there's no way it'll catch the Wii.

I'm pretty sure I listed a combination of 4 different things that are happening tomorrow, the biggest of which is price drop, not just IU. And I also didn't say anything about it catching the Wii. I said selling more than the Wii as in for the week.

Let's recap one more time:

1. Official price drop similar to that of the US starting 9/11 in Japan.
2. RE-stocking. It's been sold out since TOV.
3. Infinite Undiscovery
4. Left-over demand for people that couldn't get a 360 for TOV because of low supplies.

These 4 things I believe will cause a bigger increase than TOV did. That's just my opinion, but I don't think it's out of the question that it can do better this week than TOV week.

Jonnyram

^ 2 and 4 are pretty much the same argument, but I do agree with you that 360 should sell pretty well this week. I see it passing the PS3 without a problem, but the big issue is whether it'll outsell Wii for the week.

jimbo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
^ 2 and 4 are pretty much the same argument, but I do agree with you that 360 should sell pretty well this week. I see it passing the PS3 without a problem, but the big issue is whether it'll outsell Wii for the week.

Sure you could add those together, but not entirely because surely there should have been some people that would have bought the 360, for reasons other than TOV, and couldn't find any.

And who can say how many more people wanted one FOR ToV but ran into supply problems. Those that didn't get one then, could still buy one now at a new low price.

Jonnyram

Definitely. The interesting thing is, the sales were increasing weekly up to the release of Tales, thanks to the RPG announcements (and advertising campaign), then Tales came out and it hit the limit, hardware stopped shipping and sales dropped. There must be a lot of leftover momentum from back then, but the question is when those people will return to make their purchase. It would be foolish to think they'll all buy it straight away, but there is a chance, I guess. IU should have plenty of pulling power too. Reviews have been decent in Japan, so I see it selling similar numbers to Eternal Sonata at least.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stumpa I agree with you about Fatal Frame IV not being a bomb and being recognized as such, BUT, how much sales would WLS have to sustain through extended legs to not be considered such?

1. Do the initial sales of a game (its first month) automatically determine if the game is a bomb?

2. What about games that follow a different model, where the majority of its sales happened AFTER the initial sell out (its first month), or even a game that eventually matches its first month of sales through extended legs, like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or Mario Kart? Assuming I'm not talking about those megasales games, but a game like WLS, where it eventually may reach its series historical figures (450k?), at what point can we say it was not a bomb after all?

jimbo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Definitely. The interesting thing is, the sales were increasing weekly up to the release of Tales, thanks to the RPG announcements (and advertising campaign), then Tales came out and it hit the limit, hardware stopped shipping and sales dropped. There must be a lot of leftover momentum from back then, but the question is when those people will return to make their purchase. It would be foolish to think they'll all buy it straight away, but there is a chance, I guess. IU should have plenty of pulling power too. Reviews have been decent in Japan, so I see it selling similar numbers to Eternal Sonata at least.

Exactly. We should finally get to know the week after next, where the 360 would have settled back when it was rising, probably a bit higher due to the price drop.

Where are the new numbers for this week?

jeremy1456

jimbo said:
I'm pretty sure I listed a combination of 4 different things that are happening tomorrow, the biggest of which is price drop, not just IU. And I also didn't say anything about it catching the Wii. I said selling more than the Wii as in for the week.

Let's recap one more time:

1. Official price drop similar to that of the US starting 9/11 in Japan.
2. RE-stocking. It's been sold out since TOV.
3. Infinite Undiscovery
4. Left-over demand for people that couldn't get a 360 for TOV because of low supplies.

These 4 things I believe will cause a bigger increase than TOV did. That's just my opinion, but I don't think it's out of the question that it can do better this week than TOV week.

It IS pretty much out of the question though, and while you have outlined your reasoning not a single one of your points is strong enough.

1. The Xbox 360 has had several price drops already, they did very little.
2. Reports have come in about tons of used systems being available, it seems gamers didn't want to hold onto the system after beating TOV.
3. Infinite Undiscovery is a new IP, and not one that's receiving heavy advertising.
4. Read point 2.

Top Bottom