• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigoboy

Banned
Here in Italy there's no rush. Walked in a store yesterday and grabbed one. They still had 5-6. Zelda was sold out, went to another store and snatched the last copy.

Before visiting the second store I called Gamestop and they were completely sold out. Amazon still sells switches but zelda is out of stock.

Persona7

Banned
Surprised I was able to get a neon unit the next day at Target. They did have a ton of stock though and still had regular copies of Zelda, Pro Controllers and joycons.

My local best buy, (Indianapolis,IN area), had 8 gray and 1 neon this morning. I was 1 of 8 waiting at the door, the last unit got snagged shortly after opening by a mom and her teenage son. Had about 10 copies of Zelda, was blown away that not everyone bought a copy. Hardly any accessories though. Didn't have any cases or screen protectors.

Probably scalpers buying without a game. Alot of scalpers don't seem to pay attention to market conditions. There are new switch postings in my area for $600+ when noone is going to pay that. They probably still think they can make money listing it if they buy one. They will be in for a rude awakening.

Probably scalpers buying without a game. Alot of scalpers don't seem to pay attention to market conditions. There are new switch postings in my area for $600+ when noone is going to pay that. They probably still think they can make money listing it if they buy one. They will be in for a rude awakening.
Not everyone plays Zelda style games.

indigoboy

Banned

good. Nintendo will sell more and everyone who wants to play will get their console

Futureman

Just watched an eBay auction for Switch+Zelda go for $470. $110 over retail but it had free shipping (probably $20?) and then eBay fees. So yea not anything crazy yet and really not worth it for scalpers.

I really want to buy it from Best Buy for the Reward Zone points, so I'll probably just wait until I can get it there by walking in. Do you get any money off consoles with Best Buy's GCU? or just on games?

EDIT: WELLL... now there's a gray Switch console only at $510 with 15 minute still remaining. Hmm.

Boke1879

Yea a lot of video game scalpers seem to still think we live in a world where everything is a rare as NES cart.

This is a $300 console. Like you said. No one is going to shell out over 600 bucks. Hell I don't think anyone will shell out over $450.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was there about 5 minutes until they opened at 11. I was the first to walk up to the door and then everyone else followed. A BB employee came out and started giving people vouchers.

Ah. Well I didn't show up until later, so that makes sense. Congrats on the score!

Dalto11

Bad enough that I couldn't find any at 4 Walmarts, 2 targets, 3 GameStops, and a meijer's this weekend here in Lexington, KY.

Guess I'll just wait some more.

AniHawk

was trying to see if there were any good screen protectors out in the wild. took the time to survey the switch as well. first went to gamestop - they had empty boxes of accessories and no prices associated with them. there were six boxes of the neon switch behind the counter, but they apparently were for display. the kid trying to get one had only preordered zelda and missed out on preordering the system. according to the sales clerk the next shipment isn't until april.

at target, they finally organized their nintendo area, which had looked pretty barren. it was pretty much picked clean of any accessories. i saw a grandma walking around with the sunday ad looking for the place where they would have the switch for sale.

best buy was even worse. no one was looking for switch there, but most switch-related things were gone, and when i asked about the only screen protector that had been in stock (and the only one i could find that existed out in the wild), the employee told me that most of their switch stuff was out of stock.

...so i just got home and ordered the amfilm screen protector from amazon. ah well.

bomblord1

Banned
You really should stop shitposting or whatever it is you do with your extremely rose tinted glasses in every thread.

I apologise if I misinterpreted the tone of the thread with my post. I also apologize if my posts have caused you any distress or anger.

I'm going to bow out of negative switch threads for a while as the negativity (and occasional personal attack) are starting to get to me. I realize I've reached the point of overbearing and have been giving emotional kneejerk reactions to many threads instead of letting it be and cooling off.

It really does irk me when I see all this negatively when I personally have been having a blast and don't see most of the issues as issues. I know you're going to say they are issues though and I'm sure too many they are you are right.

Once again I apologize and thanks.

Bookoo

Searched around NoVA for a little bit today but couldn't find it.

I told myself I would only really buy it if it happened to be in the stores near me, but a Best Buy employees searched the system and told me other stores had a few. Of course when I got there they said they actually didn't have them.

I wonder if any of the places will get stock in the next few weeks. Gamestop said they don't expect more until April.

Torokil

Seems like a relatively tepid console launch so far. Maybe consumers are gun shy from Wii U

Anecdotal, but I haven't heard anything about the Switch in real life either. During the Wii U launch I did hear a few people thinking it was a Wii controller though.

Xdrive05

Thursday night as soon as my Best Buy handed out coupon pages to the non-preorder people in line, one of them yelled out as she was walking to her car "Ebay, baby! Yeah!". I felt not good about that. :-(

Bookoo

Thursday night as soon as my Best Buy handed out coupon pages to the non-preorder people in line, one of them yelled out as she was walking to her car "Ebay, baby! Yeah!". I felt not good about that. :-(

It sucks even more since there doesn't really seem to be that much profit in reselling them anyway. I am seeing a bunch of them end around $400 bucks. After fees its probably like $350.

Nintendo NY might still have stock if NYC-GAF is looking. I was able to walk in on Friday afternoon and grab a Switch and a Zelda: Master Edition. Line moved quickly.

I imagine that she's not going to be able to find a buyer if she marks it up ridiculously high or she'll make a slight profit or barely break even. Console scalping never seems worth it in the end to me.

renzolama

Still nothing in Ogden, Utah.
Target said that probably next week, tho.

At this point with the Joycon and Dock issues, I might wait until Christmas.

Same in greater SLC. I was holding out on digging too deep into BotW on Wii U with the idea that I might buy a Switch and give the Wii U over to the kids to break for good, but now I'm deep enough into it that I don't want to start over.

Sounds like someone who's about to get rettboned

Firebrand

Here is what I saw in a hypermarket in France the 3rd of March, it was around 11am, the shop was open since 3 hours.

The stocks seem ok. But some other shops were sold out, for exemple the one where I bought mine, and videogames shop.

I live in a "middle sized" city btw, around 70 000habs.
Damn, its only 299€? It's 3700 SEK in Sweden (~390€), gotta pay that commie and Bergsala (Nordic distributor) tax. Maybe should have imported! Did get about half off on Zelda, thats something I suppose.

MrMephistoX

Catch 22 if it's scalable Nintendo has a hit if it's widely available they are not priced to meet demand

serplux

Switch seems to be hard to find in North America.

Any word on Japan?

Was in Ikebukuro and Shibuya over the weekend. Had mine preordered, bit when I went to pick it up Friday evening at Bic Camera it was sold out. Looked around a few Yodobashis out of curiosity and couldn't find any.

shounenka

Switch seems to be hard to find in North America.

Any word on Japan?

Went shopping on Friday (release day) morning in my nabe in Yokohama and was (un)surprised to see the Switch main unit sold out in 1) my local Famicom/game shop, 2) a local department store that has been around since the bubble and 3) one other place that ain't coming to me at the moment.

Stock issues are just the typical launch rush (though 1-2 Switch does seem to be generating some buzz among casuals/kids; they all want to try milking the cow). 30000 JPY is too high a price point methinks. Splatoon 2's release will prove interesting, assuming there's stock of the system to go around.

tsumineko

Was in Ikebukuro and Shibuya over the weekend. Had mine preordered, bit when I went to pick it up Friday evening at Bic Camera it was sold out. Looked around a few Yodobashis out of curiosity and couldn't find any.

Even my little Inaka town stores are sold out. Switch seems pretty huge in Japan.

Cytezan

It's been sold out in every store I've been to in Tokyo. Tried all the big guns like yodobashi and bic camera. No stock at all.

I hope they get a restock soon...

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if the next shipment will be recently manufactured models. Might try to get one of those because of the issues I've had so far with the docks and one joycon.

Dishwalla

Banned
Been to three Walmarts, two Targets, and a Navy Exchange and I haven't seen one yet in stock. Doesn't bother me because I'm not planning on buying one, but I am curious. Mainly I am disappointed there are no display systems out, I want to see one and fiddle with it. Haven't been to a Gamestop yet, may go in the morning to see if they have a display model I can mess with.

It blows my mind about the switch situation in sweden

Imagine this, ps4 slim for 235 usd and then you have the switch priced at 369 usd

What were they thinking?

I apologise if I misinterpreted the tone of the thread with my post. I also apologize if my posts have caused you any distress or anger.

I'm going to bow out of negative switch threads for a while as the negativity (and occasional personal attack) are starting to get to me. I realize I've reached the point of overbearing and have been giving emotional kneejerk reactions to many threads instead of letting it be and cooling off.

It really does irk me when I see all this negatively when I personally have been having a blast and don't see most of the issues as issues. I know you're going to say they are issues though and I'm sure too many they are you are right.

Once again I apologize and thanks.

Hey man you really don't need to apologize. Plus GAF is always this over reactive when it comes to hardware launches.

Don't take it personally.

japtor

I really want to buy it from Best Buy for the Reward Zone points, so I'll probably just wait until I can get it there by walking in. Do you get any money off consoles with Best Buy's GCU? or just on games?
I think all gaming stuff is double points, so you'd get 300 points for it with GCU vs 150 without. And you get $5 back for every 250 or whatever so that's a little perk. I was gonna hold out for BB but it's not that huge a deal, a friend sold me his at cost so I just jumped on that instead of having to be on the hunt however long.

Many years ago he actually did the same thing for me with the Wii after I couldn't find that for a week or two...didn't have to do that with the Wii U. I was helping another friend out with a project, he wanted to pay me, and I just took payment in the form of the Wii U which he just ordered off Walmart no problem before launch iirc.

Tonyx

Just checked local stores here (Italy) and there are plenty of Switches.. but none of Zeldas. I suspect once a new stock of Zelda arrives the Switch will be sold out.

darklin0

Banned
I got a Neon from Target yesterday. They only had 33 units, 15 of those were Neon.

My brother and I got there around 6 a.m. before they opened and where 3rd in line. I think the rain deterred a few people but by opening time there were around 25 people in line.

I opened up my console and it is perfect, glad I did not get one with any issue.

Nuszka

Northern Ireland (UK) - plenty of them everywhere , supermarkets etc. and I just checked the local Game store and they had them in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom