• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

RadioActiveLobster
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:28 AM)
RadioActiveLobster's Avatar
Well, I'll be downloading the "Does 80% of what DawnStar DLC does" PC mod that comes out within the first week of it hitting the 360 and modders get a chance to mod it in.
Conciliator
Banned
(05-02-2012, 12:29 AM)
Conciliator's Avatar
Played Skyrim for a long time, now it doesn't seem so great; same as any other Bethesda game(except Fallout 3). I'll keep an eye out for that, if it has good reception I might try it out.
Dabanton
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:32 AM)
Dabanton's Avatar
It probably makes the difference to fence sitters. MS announced this deal last year well before the release of the game so anyone who was undecided and knew where the DLC was going to be released first probably jumped on the 360 version.

It's good business whether we like it or not. Sony probably thought the same when they moneyhatted EA to get Battlefield 3 DLC early as well.
sleepykyo
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:32 AM)
sleepykyo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ourobolus

Can someone explain the timed-exclusivity of DLC for me? I mean, I can understand when, say, the vanilla game is a timed exclusive - if I could only get Skyrim on Xbox360 30 days before any other system, then I *might* be inclined to get it first (provided I owned a variety of consoles/PC).

But if it's just DLC, do they expect gamers to suddenly go, "Huh. I spent 80 hours on Skyrim on PC, but 360 is getting the DLC 30 days earlier. I'M GONNA GO DOUBLE DIP."

I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but what the hell is the point?

Maybe. But they announced the exclusivity in advance so you would have gotten the 360 version in the first place (ideally). It's the same principle as CoD timed map packs or the RE6 demo being available to the 360 purchasers of Dragon's Dogma first.
gate777
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:33 AM)
gate777's Avatar
Exclusive? Lame....
I'll be playing Diablo 3 anyways.
drizzle
Axel Hertz
(05-02-2012, 12:35 AM)
drizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ourobolus

Can someone explain the timed-exclusivity of DLC for me? I mean, I can understand when, say, the vanilla game is a timed exclusive - if I could only get Skyrim on Xbox360 30 days before any other system, then I *might* be inclined to get it first (provided I owned a variety of consoles/PC).

But if it's just DLC, do they expect gamers to suddenly go, "Huh. I spent 80 hours on Skyrim on PC, but 360 is getting the DLC 30 days earlier. I'M GONNA GO DOUBLE DIP."

I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but what the hell is the point?

By announcing early that the first 2 DLC for Skyrim will be XBox Exclusive, people that read up on it back when it came out bought the game on the 360 instead.

Simple. Same way why people buy Call of Duty on 360 as opposed to the PS3 - the DLC comes out 30 days earlier on the 360.

edit: beaten.
MMaRsu
Banned
(05-02-2012, 12:36 AM)
MMaRsu's Avatar
Yeah it's not like you could throw the thousands of PS3 gamers you scammed with a broken fucking product a bone right Bethesda? FUCK YOUR SHIT
Class_A_Ninja
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:38 AM)
Class_A_Ninja's Avatar
Oh great, the same old bland art that made the game one big pile of "meh," now with glow-ie eyes.

And people said Oblivion was bland compared to Morrowind.
Petrichor
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:39 AM)
Petrichor's Avatar

Originally Posted by MMaRsu

Yeah it's not like you could throw the thousands of PS3 gamers you scammed with a broken fucking product a bone right Bethesda? FUCK YOUR SHIT

If the game is still broken why are you bothered about the DLC?

...Unless bethesda has now fixed the PS3 version and they didn't rob you of money after all.
Neat Machine
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:42 AM)
Neat Machine's Avatar
Had a feeling they had to delay this announcement so Microsoft could use it at E3.
Atrus
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Dabanton

It probably makes the difference to fence sitters. MS announced this deal last year well before the release of the game so anyone who was undecided and knew where the DLC was going to be released first probably jumped on the 360 version.

It's good business whether we like it or not. Sony probably thought the same when they moneyhatted EA to get Battlefield 3 DLC early as well.


I doubt anybody fence-sitting between the PC and XBOX360 edition would be swayed by a temporary timed exclusive. Maybe between the console versions but not the PC.

The difference between both versions is not minor.
MMaRsu
Banned
(05-02-2012, 12:44 AM)
MMaRsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrichor

If the game is still broken why are you bothered about the DLC?

...Unless bethesda has now fixed the PS3 version and they didn't rob you of money after all.

Lol are you actually saying they did a good job on the Ps3 version or something? They didnt rob me of wanting to continue a game I had put 30 hours in and was scared to continue because it could mess up my save? Then I waited and waited and I got Dark Souls instead and after that well honestly three/four months had passed since a good patch was out and by that time I had kind of lost interest.

So yes, they did rob me of my money imo.

Fuck bethesda, did they ever even apologize?

The game is not still broken, but I am just pissed the way they are treating Ps3 players right now.
ronito
Banned
(05-02-2012, 12:46 AM)
ronito's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conciliator

Played Skyrim for a long time, now it doesn't seem so great; same as any other Bethesda game(except Fallout 3). I'll keep an eye out for that, if it has good reception I might try it out.

This is me. I feel like I've seen all the tricks the pony can do.

"Oh you want me to clear out the fort/temple/burial ruins/cave? Ok."
Rinse repeat.

I had fun with it, but they'll have to add some really new stuff to pique my interest.
Dabanton
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:46 AM)
Dabanton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Atrus

I doubt anybody fence-sitting between the PC and XBOX360 edition would be swayed by a temporary timed exclusive. Maybe between the console versions but not the PC.

The difference between both versions is not minor.

I should have made it clear fence sitting between potential PS3 and Xbox owners.
Fjordson
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:49 AM)
Fjordson's Avatar
Cool. I'll probably grab this, eager for some new stuff to do in the game.
Conciliator
Banned
(05-02-2012, 12:50 AM)
Conciliator's Avatar

Originally Posted by ronito

This is me. I feel like I've seen all the tricks the pony can do.

"Oh you want me to clear out the fort/temple/burial ruins/cave? Ok."
Rinse repeat.

I had fun with it, but they'll have to add some really new stuff to pique my interest.

They'll come out with a new game in 2-3 years, and I'll get excited about it, and I'll play it a bunch and have fun and then think it wasn't that great after the fact. That's ok! That's not such a bad relationship.

moar fallout plz
tch
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by brotkasten

Day 31!

Hahah. Same here
klee123
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:51 AM)
klee123's Avatar
Day 1+30 I guess

Still playing through the main quests on the PC version anyways. Really can't go back to the console versions now with the modding community kicking into high gear.
Quikies83
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:51 AM)
Quikies83's Avatar

Originally Posted by MMaRsu

Yeah it's not like you could throw the thousands of PS3 gamers you scammed with a broken fucking product a bone right Bethesda? FUCK YOUR SHIT

Meh.. I'm sure a lot of PS3 skyrim players (including me) don't give a shit about the DLC.. The vanilla game is still broken as fuck..
I gave up on Skyrim long ago... well for the PS3 anyways -- I've since loaded it on PC.
AdmiralSnackbar
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:53 AM)
AdmiralSnackbar's Avatar
I wonder how silly Microsoft feels having paid Bethesda to put an incentive on the 360 version when Bethesda would sabotage the PS3 version all on their own.
maquiladora
Member
(05-02-2012, 12:56 AM)
maquiladora's Avatar
I loved Skyrim. Put about 150 hours into it. But I've put so much time into it and become so familiar with the world and the mechanics of the game that the idea of stepping back into it again with DLC makes me feel a little nauseous. :(

Like when you stuff yourself with pizza, the last thing you want is another slice of the same pizza, with slightly different toppings.

Maybe I'll feel hungry again in a few months.
REMEMBER CITADEL
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:00 AM)
REMEMBER CITADEL's Avatar

Originally Posted by MMaRsu

Yeah it's not like you could throw the thousands of PS3 gamers you scammed with a broken fucking product a bone right Bethesda? FUCK YOUR SHIT

Well, no, they really couldn't because they're contractually obliged to release it on Xbox 360 first.
volturnus
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:04 AM)
volturnus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ourobolus

Can someone explain the timed-exclusivity of DLC for me? I mean, I can understand when, say, the vanilla game is a timed exclusive - if I could only get Skyrim on Xbox360 30 days before any other system, then I *might* be inclined to get it first (provided I owned a variety of consoles/PC).

But if it's just DLC, do they expect gamers to suddenly go, "Huh. I spent 80 hours on Skyrim on PC, but 360 is getting the DLC 30 days earlier. I'M GONNA GO DOUBLE DIP."

I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but what the hell is the point?

There is no point, or at least none that makes sense, and it's money that could spent in much more useful stuff.
Makes me wish this stuff leaks for PC weeks in advance of the 360 release.
Lakitu
st5fu
(05-02-2012, 01:05 AM)
Lakitu's Avatar
I thought I read somewhere that the Kinect patch counts as part of this 2-dlc exclusivity deal thing with Microsoft.
kuroshiki
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:10 AM)
kuroshiki's Avatar
So what is the chance we will get GOTY edition by this Christmas?
Deified Data
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:12 AM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by maquiladora

I loved Skyrim. Put about 150 hours into it. But I've put so much time into it and become so familiar with the world and the mechanics of the game that the idea of stepping back into it again with DLC makes me feel a little nauseous. :(

Like when you stuff yourself with pizza, the last thing you want is another slice of the same pizza, with slightly different toppings.

Maybe I'll feel hungry again in a few months.

For some reason, no Bethesda game has burned me out as quickly as Skyrim. Can't explain why - I loved it, but I only played for a couple months before starting something new. I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 for about half a year, each. Maybe I just played too much, too soon.

Originally Posted by kuroshiki

So what is the chance we will get GOTY edition by this Christmas?

0%. Sorry.
GrandHarrier
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:12 AM)
GrandHarrier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Interfectum

I blame bethesda more than MS. I hope whatever kickback they got for the time delay is worth agitating the fanbase over.

Bethesda and Microsoft have had this arrangement for... what... years, now? Like, at least 5 plus years?

Originally Posted by NullPointer

Its not early on the 360. Its delayed everywhere else.

Just like Journey wasn't early for PS+, it was delayed for non PS+. 3g PS Vita bundles weren't early, they just delayed Wi-Fi bundles.





I seriously don't get the raging.
Dabanton
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:14 AM)
Dabanton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lakitu

I thought I read somewhere that the Kinect patch counts as part of this 2-dlc exclusivity deal thing with Microsoft.

The kinect voice commands idea and subsequent patch came from that gamejam event. Where employees of Bethesda had a week to make what they wanted and put in the game

Nothing to do with their DLC deal at all.
toddhunter
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:14 AM)
toddhunter's Avatar
I hope there is a mission where you walk to a dungeon, fight through it, kill a slightly stronger version of the enemies you are fighting and loot a chest with nothing much in it.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(05-02-2012, 01:18 AM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tallshortman

lol if MS thinks this will make people buy the 360 version at this point. No fucking reason this isn't on PC day 1. Looks like I might be skipping this one.

This was announced way before the game came out, so a lot of people already got the 360 version because of it.
hauton
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:18 AM)
Time value of money - Bethesda wants my money later, they can have it later
DangerousDave
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:19 AM)
DangerousDave's Avatar
I love that MS spend their money giving their userbase the option to spend their money on DLC a month earlier. Instead of this, maybe they should spend their money to make the DLC to be free (or cheaper) in their platform, instead of earlier.

It's not like anyone is going to buy the game on 360 because of this, instead of PC (modding, better overall) or PS3 (the game is broken on PS3, and that is a better reason to switch to 360 or PC than a month earlier paid DLC)
Infinite Justice
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:20 AM)
Infinite Justice's Avatar

Originally Posted by Petrichor

Is the game actually playable on PS3 yet?

The last patch seemingly fixed the stuff but some claimed it starts to appear again after a while.


SHould be interesting to see how the DLC runs
CoG
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:23 AM)
Boo. Why hold it back from the PC for 30 days? I don't think the PC and 360 compete for the same market or players, at least not in the same way as 360 and PS3.
Bam Bam Baklava
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
(05-02-2012, 01:24 AM)
Bam Bam Baklava's Avatar
This better be bigger than Shivering Isles.
Card Boy
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:25 AM)
Card Boy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blue Ninja


Exclusive for the 360 for 30 days.

That's all we get today, apparently. More info at E3. Lame.

I sort of predicted this would happen. But i predicted 6 months though haha.

Hopefully PC users don't suffer and it only applies to PS3 users.
bigtroyjon
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:26 AM)

Originally Posted by DangerousDave

I love that MS spend their money giving their userbase the option to spend their money on DLC a month earlier. Instead of this, maybe they should spend their money to make the DLC to be free (or cheaper) in their platform, instead of earlier.

It's not like anyone is going to buy the game on 360 because of this, instead of PC (modding, better overall) or PS3 (the game is broken on PS3, and that is a better reason to switch to 360 or PC than a month earlier paid DLC)

Why do people think that MS spends a meaningful money to get this stuff early?

All it took to get GTAIV DLC was a loan and that was exclusive for a lot longer period of time than 30 days and it was a bigger game with a more even split of sales.
roodiculous
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:26 AM)
roodiculous's Avatar
I'm expecting good things. I haven't picked up the game in over a month, I need to finish a bunch of story lines :/
DangerousDave
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:31 AM)
DangerousDave's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigtroyjon

Why do people think that MS spends a meaningful money to get this stuff early?

Well, they made the same with Fallout and New Vegas. I remember even that they said, with those games, that the DLC was 360 exclusive. In this game they said that was timed exclusive because nobody would believe them about the matter anymore.

If Bethesda do this, is because MS give them money or any kind of benefit. They won't risk to make angry their PS3 userbase (or worse, their PC userbase, that is bigger) for nothing.
Deified Data
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:32 AM)
Deified Data's Avatar

Originally Posted by MiDNiGHTS

This better be bigger than Shivering Isles.

lol
Ourobolus
Keeper of the Book
(05-02-2012, 01:33 AM)
Ourobolus's Avatar
Ah, I wasn't aware this shit was announced way back when, but even then, we should assume that only a portion of gamers would benefit (360 owners) from this. I know this is anectodal, but even if I owned the PS3 version, I can't see myself dropping $60 (or used $, whatever) to pick up the 360 version, simply because of DLC.

I am also aware that the world is mostly made up of idiots, but still...
bigtroyjon
Member
(05-02-2012, 01:33 AM)

Originally Posted by DangerousDave

Well, they made the same with Fallout and New Vegas. I remember even that they said, with those games, that the DLC was 360 exclusive. In this game they said that was timed exclusive because nobody would believe them about the matter anymore.

If Bethesda do this, is because MS give them money or any kind of benefit. They won't risk to make angry their PS3 userbase (or worse, their PC userbase, that is bigger) for nothing.

They have a marketing deal with Bethesda, I'm sure this is just part of it. There is pretty obvious benefit to having a game associated with your platform, which is why MS and Sony do it so often.
MMaRsu
Banned
(05-02-2012, 01:36 AM)
MMaRsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by REMEMBER CITADEL

Well, no, they really couldn't because they're contractually obliged to release it on Xbox 360 first.

I'm not specifically talking about the release date here, I couldnt care less.
MrGreencastle
Member
(05-02-2012, 02:03 AM)
MrGreencastle's Avatar
Colour me excited, even though it's was announcement of an announcement of an announcement.

People need to stop whining about it being a 360 timed-exclusive. It gets old. Honestly, 30 days is not that long, it'll be Summer, anyway, there's lot's else to do than play Skyrim.
Dapperk
Member
(05-02-2012, 02:06 AM)
Dapperk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindman

Day 31.

Ok I laughed.

Same here btw.
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(05-02-2012, 02:20 AM)
OldJadedGamer's Avatar
dp
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(05-02-2012, 02:29 AM)
OldJadedGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dabanton

It probably makes the difference to fence sitters. MS announced this deal last year well before the release of the game so anyone who was undecided and knew where the DLC was going to be released first probably jumped on the 360 version.

It's good business whether we like it or not. Sony probably thought the same when they moneyhatted EA to get Battlefield 3 DLC early as well.

Did Sony's moneyhats to EA also affect the PC version? I don't remember.

Originally Posted by DangerousDave

I love that MS spend their money giving their userbase the option to spend their money on DLC a month earlier. Instead of this, maybe they should spend their money to make the DLC to be free (or cheaper) in their platform, instead of earlier.

It's not like anyone is going to buy the game on 360 because of this, instead of PC (modding, better overall) or PS3 (the game is broken on PS3, and that is a better reason to switch to 360 or PC than a month earlier paid DLC)

Has nothing to do with MS. Sony does the same thing. I think Nintendo is the only one that doesn't simply because the machine can't do DLC but look for them to do it next gen.

Originally Posted by DangerousDave

If Bethesda do this, is because MS give them money or any kind of benefit. They won't risk to make angry their PS3 userbase (or worse, their PC userbase, that is bigger) for nothing.

Of course MS gave them money, just like Sony gives money to companies like EA for the same exact thing. I'm not seeing the one direction hatred here on an issue that affects both companies. Hate the practice or the third party publisher, not the first party. Sony and MS offer money but no one is forcing these publishers to make these deals. After all, these are the publishers customers.
Wilsongt
Member
(05-02-2012, 02:29 AM)
Wilsongt's Avatar
I am excited for Skyrim DLC. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Willy Wanka
my god this avatar owns
(05-02-2012, 02:49 AM)
Willy Wanka's Avatar
Can't wait! If it's anywhere near as ambitious as Shivering Isles then it should be amazing. I'm even tempted to get a Kinect to use the voice controls with it.
carfo
Banned
(05-02-2012, 02:51 AM)
carfo's Avatar
I bet it's $15. It should feel like an expansion. Can't wait for more details.

Thread Tools