• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

How do people rate the game world? I thought Saints Row 2 had by far the best open world city map, and 3/4 had easily the worst one.

Forgettable. There are locations from SR3/4 that still stick out because of how they were used. AoM doesn't use this map all that well.

george_us

If the first hour is anything to go buy, this is going to be one of those games where I totally understand the scores it's getting but enjoy anyway.

KORNdoggy

i get the impression this is going to be volitions equivalent to HAZE. they make their first fully current gen title and for whatever reason they decided against making a sequel to their popular franchise from the previous gen (saints row) and produced an absolute flop nobody asked for instead.

i just hope it doesn't outright kill them as a studio like HAZE did to free radical.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
i get the impression this is going to be volitions equivalent to HAZE. they make their first fully current gen title and for whatever reason they decided against making a sequel to their popular franchise from the previous gen (saints row) and produced an absolute flop nobody asked for instead.

i just hope it doesn't outright kill them as a studio like HAZE did to free radical.

Well the difference is Haze was outright fucking terrible, the worst you can say about AoM is that it's mixed in reception. I wouldn't worry too much, Volition are one of Deep Silvers main development teams plus they're backed by Koch Media who are fucking minted. Regardless of the reception to this game I'm pretty certain the next game will be Saints Row 5 anyway which is essentially guaranteed to be a sure thing.

First couple of hours in this game really drag....lots of talking and not in a witty saints row sort of way...the frame rate on the ps4pro is all over the place
Game gets a little better but it's pacing is all over the place....it feels like it was trying to be one game then it switched direction.

GHG

Gold Member

Here's my standard gripe with the whole "optimisation isn't very good" thing... just because you can't get 60fps all the time at ultra on high end hardware it doesn't mean the game is "unoptimised".

What are the ultra settings doing? What do ultra settings mean in this instance? Etc etc.

If turning hardware intensive settings down doesn't improve the situation then we might be able to start talking about a scenario where a game is "unoptimised".

Here's my standard gripe with the whole "optimisation isn't very good" thing... just because you can't get 60fps all the time at ultra on high end hardware it doesn't mean the game is "unoptimised".

What are the ultra settings doing? What do ultra settings mean in this instance? Etc etc.

If turning hardware intensive settings down doesn't improve the situation then we might be able to start talking about a scenario where a game is "unoptimised".

A GTX 1080 should play any games in full HD with more than 60fps locked, ultra settings at all. Come on man. This is full HD ,not 4k

GHG

Gold Member
A GTX 1080 should play any games in full HD with more than 60fps locked, ultra settings at all. Come on man. This is full HD ,not 4k

This mentality needs to die.

It depends on what the game is doing from a technical standpoint as to whether that should be the case or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's just me or those RAM requirements are just weird?!

They just look strange because RAM figures 1GB and higher are generally expressed in GB rather than MB. 8192MB and 12288MB are 8GB and 12GB (8x1024 and 12x1024), respectively.

GHG

Gold Member
What is this game doing from a technical viewpoint?

We have no idea along with the fact that there is no analysis on what "ultra settings" means as far as the PC version is concerned.

Hence it's shortsighted to call any game "unoptimised" until you know what's really going on.

As with most games, I think it would be wise for people to wait for a few months. The devs will patch a bunch of the problems and the game will drop in price absurdly fast as well. This has $20 sale price by Winter written all over it.

Anybody know if those side missions are endless or they eventually stop generating? I was doing some races but more and more kept showing up as I completed them.

the second best GPU can't handle a game on full hd for 60fps? this needs to die? LOL

It depends on what ultra means. If it's got a fuckton of MSAA or supersampling then performance will be shit and ultra is just a "cards of the future" setting.

I won't die on this hill though, since the chances are ultra is nothing techically special and the game really is shit.

But if you want to talk about performance on max settings then you need to say what those settings are. "1080p" is just one of the factors.

Besides, measuring "optimisation" should mean testing a mid range card and seeing if it runs well and looks good without having to compromise on the important settings.

U2NUMB

So here is where I am with this.. I want to buy the game because it looks like stupid fun. I have it pre ordered on the X1 and it sounds like the performance is not great.

I am mostly interested in hearing how it runs on the pro because there might be some hope that on the X1X it runs better. So keep the feedback coming...

So here is where I am with this.. I want to buy the game because it looks like stupid fun. I have it pre ordered on the X1 and it sounds like the performance is not great.

I am mostly interested in hearing how it runs on the pro because there might be some hope that on the X1X it runs better. So keep the feedback coming...

I bought the Xbox One version as well, but will wait to play it on the Xbox One X.

the second best GPU can't handle a game on full hd for 60fps? this needs to die? LOL

Essentially what you are saying is that companies shouldn't put in graphical options that the current high end cards can't handle at 1080p60. To which I say 'why?' Witcher 2 launched with options that they knew only future cards would be able to handle. So, the then current GPU king couldn't handle the best settings at all. Were they wrong to include those options? Should Volition have simply made some of the 'high' settings the 'ultra' so a 1080 could then do 'ultra' at 1080p60? What difference would that make?

I don't have a clue what is up with AoM, I haven't really seen the PC version still. But, having a hard and fast rule that a high end card should always equal the best settings at 60fps doesn't make sense. That isn't even taking into account the fact that it could be CPU heavy, and the issues aren't even GPU related.

GHG

Gold Member

Laugh all you want but it is you who will end up looking like "LOL" if it turns out Ultra settings in this game includes some sort of aggressive AA setting or something that is actually beyond the capabilities of the high end cards available today (as far as 60fps is concerned).

I have no issue calling a game unoptimised but a lot of the time these statements are premature and inaccurate, especially with this new breed of "PC gamers".

Notice how Gamersyde describe it as "demanding" which is the more accurate term to use at this moment in time considering the information we have at hand rather than "unoptimised".

Laugh all you want but it is you who will end up looking like "LOL" if it turns out Ultra settings in this game includes some sort of aggressive AA setting or something that is actually beyond the capabilities of the high end cards available today (as far as 60fps is concerned).

I have no issue calling a game unoptimised but a lot of the time these statements are premature and inaccurate, especially with this new breed of "PC gamers".

Notice how Gamersyde describe it as "demanding" which is the more accurate term to use at this moment in time considering the information we have at hand rather than "unoptimised".

A game like Agents of Mayhem, should not be that demanding for a gtx1080. Maybe I am missing something on the videos I saw, but I see nothing really jaw dropping. Yes, I am new to PC gaming , and I just felt my 1080 would be fine for a few years for at least full hd 60fps

renzolama

Haha, same situation. Hey, at least it was only 32,20€. Hopefully the game is worth at least that much.

Count me in this club. Woke up this morning to check reviews:

giphy.gif

I want it anyway. Want to support volition and the series. It seems not great but not bad enough to ignore as a fan.

I would hate to see them go away.

A game like Agents of Mayhem, should not be that demanding for a gtx1080. Maybe I am missing something on the videos I saw, but I see nothing really jaw dropping. Yes, I am new to PC gaming , and I just felt my 1080 would be fine for a few years for at least full hd 60fps

You'll be happier if you stop chasing the best settings. It is pretty common for them to be insanely demanding, and make very little noticeable difference when you are actually playing the game, and not just staring at screenshots.

Again, I haven't seen AoM yet. But, there is usually a setting or two that you turn down a notch, and you're good to go. Hopefully that is the case here, and it isn't just some un-optimized mess.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds daft but I forgot about actual PC version quality as I remember SR 3 and 4 being damned decent on release so the thought of it maybe being poor never occurred to me. Oh well shall see how it runs on an i5 2500k/gtx 970! (and no I never expected to run at 60fps on ultra settings :p I don't mind turning down settings)

Yeah Volition develops the games for PC instead of just porting them (SR2 was a THQ rush job), so I'll be surprised if the performance issues are widespread.

You'll be happier if you stop chasing the best settings. It is pretty common for them to be insanely demanding, and make very little noticeable difference when you are actually playing the game, and not just staring at screenshots.

Again, I haven't seen AoM yet. But, there is usually a setting or two that you turn down a notch, and you're good to go. Hopefully that is the case here, and it isn't just some un-optimized mess.

It's not even that "max settings" is usually demanding it's just totally not optimized and not even designed for the highest end cards. It's features that probably were discovered during development but weren't feasible for performance or took too long to optimize, but they leave them enabled for the PC market so that future hardware can play the game with those settings.

It's almost like getting a small remaster packed in to enjoy the game again on future cards.

Hasney

Never chase ultra settings. Some developers make them close to unobtainable at high frame rates on even the best card on the market which I appreciate as it'll give me something to check out when I replay it years down the line.

There may be more optimisation to be done though. The game runs at 30 on base PS4 (with drops I hear) and unlocked on Pro, but averages close to 40 and never really beats 50.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got any PC menu settings screenshots they can post ? I know the game unlocks in around an hour or so anyway but curious to see if there's any about already. Not sure about streams, had a quick look on a few but they never mentioned it. Looked at Totalbiscuits stream and it's subscribers only so couldn't get a look their either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone got any PC menu settings screenshots they can post ? I know the game unlocks in around an hour or so anyway but curious to see if there's any about already. Not sure about streams, had a quick look on a few but they never mentioned it. Looked at Totalbiscuits stream and it's subscribers only so couldn't get a look their either.

Two (well, ~1h40min). The countdown timer on the store page is an hour off as "... in approximately less than an hour" follows "... in approximately 1 hour".

Orca

You really are new to PC gaming...

Top Bottom