• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

x-Lundz-x

499 is my expected price point for both next gen consoles. That's not really expensive for what these devices should be capable of. Now to see what MS spins for the always online to see if its something I purchase at launch or not.

Raistlin

Then he hasn't done a lot of reading lately.
To be fair, I doubt Thurrott is coming at this from a hardcore gamer's perspective. Based on his background he'd be more interested in its home theater, DVR, social, etc features (basically as a set-top box).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Third console curse is REAL motherhubbards. Clearly its some fucking well measured effect on console business leaders where after two go-arounds (and leaving your most successful one) arrogance and hubris seeps in to dangerous levels and effects everything.

An always online $500 device with too much Kinect, no b/c, and may not support used games... I mean thats pretty much the worst case scenario I could envision.

Diminishing attention to Halo, Gears a finished feeling franchise, and Sony seriously bringing the noise from the off just paints this NextBox into a pretty serious corner.

After about 8 years of using a cell phone, I've just got a subscription based one. There is no way in hell I'd do it with my gaming systems. If all of this shit is true, Sony is going to walk it this time. Walk it.

persongr

$500 for a normal unit and $300 for a console with a subscription actually makes sense. Microsoft will definitely want people to be forced to pay for 2 years for live and various services because of a contract instead of just having a console with a silver account. The margins are enormous.

What worries me though, is what's going to happen with customers not living in the USA.

madmackem

I'm more and more inclined to think MS is making up this false "leaks" to surprise us all at the reveal... I hope... :(

Thats the only thing i can think of, the rumours on this console have been nothing but bad. They need to come out swinging at the revel, they need to blow peoples socks or they risk losing alot of mindshare.

tfur

On the latest WhatTheTech podcast, Paul Thurrott weighed in on the NeXtbox rumors shared some info from his sources.

capture0xkhn.jpg

Man, really wide shoulders at first glance.

MS disappoint.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
5fe386877a2a7ed5d3cea1aee7629765.gif

Seriously though I still have faith MS will impress with the Durango at its debut, but these constant negative rumors have got to have some sort of truth to them.

mavs

I'm more inclined to believe his expected price reflects his high opinion of the system than any inside information he has.

Amir0x

Banned
holy shit, that price at the subscription point?

If true:

Goddamn take out the fucking Kinect and EyeToy garbage out of your systems, Microsoft and Sony, the 1 1/2 genres that it isn't absolutely abominable for aren't worth the goddamn added price. It also makes me petrified of the next PS4 price.

If false:

Can Microsoft not even have a single shred of positive news/rumours leading up to the reveal of their new system? It's like the worst pre-system buzz I've ever seen.

I still don't believe it.

But if it is true, and Microsoft releases on online-only system at $500 with no backwards compatibility, I'm done with the Xbox platform. Forever.

RetroStu

Banned
Imo Microsoft and Sony are in for the 'long haul' with this coming gen, upwards of 10 year i think so i'm not suprised really by these prices, they may have a slow start but i'm sure they will get where they want to be after the first 2 or 3 years.

So what happens when the subscription ends? Is the system mine?

If so, why would anyone buy the $500 model if you are paying for live already? Unless of course the subscription is additional cost to live or if you have to pay full price for live...

Jawmuncher

MA needs to hurry up and let me know what's going on with their system. From what I have gathered, ill be sticking with PC and PS4 if MS keeps this up.

Possibly not rational but I can't help but imagine that for all the reasons that GAF hates this the general public will eat this concept up and it will be a big hit

AZ Greg

PS4 will probably be right around $500 too, so i'm not shocked at those Durango Prices.

Let's not forget that the Wii U just launched at $300/350. It's going to be above that for both of these consoles I could see this $500/300 model for MS and a typical $450/500 model between two PS4 models with different size harddrives or something.

You shouldn't use Nintendo overpricing last-gen hardware as a way to predict prices for competing hardware. The $250 3DS led many to believe the Vita would be much more expensive.

If so, why would anyone buy the $500 model if you are paying for live already? Unless of course the subscription is additional cost to live or if you have to pay full price for live...

Yes it would be "yours" after the sub was over.

People would buy the $500 model because it would be cheaper in the long run. Sub models usually mean you pay more but it small chunks. Given the $200 price difference the sub most mean at least 4 years of Live, or offer something other than just Live.

Kusagari

I don't believe this at all. I think the system costing $500 is less likely than always online and no used games being true.

If the new Xbox cost $500 then the PS4 will cost?

I'm not sure why people are lumping the PS4 in this. We know nothing of the actual contents of the next xbox console in terms of what you get at launch. Maybe the new kinect adds to the price a lot, maybe there is something else it contains that is expensive, and more importantly, it might be higher just to specifically make the sub model look more attractive.

I see no reason why the PS4 would hit 500. Especially considering they are more than likely to take a small loss on it.

Takuya

Banned
He's in love with Microsoft, it's no surprise that everything he hears sounds good because he makes himself think of it as good.

Gartooth

I keep waiting until E3 so that I can hear what is going on straight from MS's mouth, but if a lot of this turns out to be true, then its a no brainer for me as I will probably be skipping the next Xbox and using alternative means of gaming. (PC, PS4)

After about 8 years of using a cell phone, I've just got a subscription based one. There is no way in hell I'd do it with my gaming systems. If all of this shit is true, Sony is going to walk it this time. Walk it.

American consumers happily plop down $200 and sign a 2-year contract every two years for the latest iPhone (or Android) device. And they do this GLADLY because it avoids a $650 upfront payment.

You are the minority.

You shouldn't use Nintendo overpricing last-gen hardware as a way to predict prices for competing hardware. The $250 3DS led many to believe the Vita would be much more expensive.

I'm not really using it as evidence, I actually regretted putting that in my post as soon as I hit "post." I'm just saying, this price isn't at all shocking and PS4 will be right around there too.

I guess maybe if they still have gold vs. silver? Like to even do anything with the system you must be at least online with a free version of Live, but if you want to have the full spread of features, you need gold.

Top Bottom