• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Played the demo on PS3 and didn't notice any staggering framerate drops. Game is fun but don't know if I will get it day 1, especially with the way new games are dropping to $30/$40 mere months after release these days.
Me too and I'm just waiting to see if Capcom isn't pulling another SFxT bullshit with this game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
THIS is how you do a RPG. No bullshit bad combat & clunky controls like The Witcher...

I had just started the Witcher, had the same complaint (despite many coming to its defence) and got up to Chapter 1 then played this demo. I dont think I can be bothered going back to it now despite the story being greatly enjoyable, I am jonesing for DD's release pretty hard now.

Its not got the measured weight of the Souls series, but it instead has a sense of freedom and speed to combat alongside customiseable movesets out the wazoo that its a different flavour of the WRPG pie altogether.

Derrick01

Banned
I can't wait until they make a PC version so we can stop complaining about screen tearing and framerate

and start complaining about it being GFWL. Something everyone agrees with :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I could have swore we had a few screens from streams that did not have the black bars at all... am I tripping?

Hold out a little hope for there to be an option to switch it off... but if it's for performance reasons and perm... then whatevs i guess. I can definitely live with it. Honestly barely noticed it while i played but my plasma might have some issues with it after a marathon.

Anteater

Block didn't use any stamina against normal enemies. I'm not sure about on big ones, but I don't think it did. Also, weirdly enough, you keep regaining stamina as usual when you roll around as a Strider.

Weird, it had this guard break thing (the effect is like parry) a few times and my character got stunned and stamina was drained when I was messing around parrying its attacks.

It was only with the dash/diving attack though, it went right through me and broke my guard.

Skilletor

Oh come on now. Witcher 2 has a lot of things going for it, but controls & combat is NOT one of them!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the controls in TW2.

That being said, this is pretty much what I've always wanted in an action RPG. Really looking forward to it. Wish it came out earlier in May. :(

Waffling between Strider and Mage. Is there some combination of the two? I love magic, but I also love dual wielding.

Any information somewhere on all of the class options?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the controls in TW2.

That being said, this is pretty much what I've always wanted in an action RPG. Really looking forward to it. Wish it came out earlier in May. :(

Waffling between Strider and Mage. Is there some combination of the two? I love magic, but I also love dual wielding.

Any information somewhere on all of the class options?

The combination is Magic Archer.

They have some pretty sweet skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5O4oqFK9KU

Finally did the countryside part of the demo.
Soooo much better than the Chimera fight. I love the combat abilities of the archer just fricken bad ass.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh come on now. Witcher 2 has a lot of things going for it, but controls & combat is NOT one of them!

I actually agree. I am loving the setting and story, but the gameplay is just not wowing me. The tank controls, janky QTE's that really don't need to be there and the focus on it being a necessity to make, then drink potions and apply oils to your sword before combat scenarios just gets dull. Don't get me wrong, I love having to prepare and use adequate strategy to progress in my role playing games, I am just not finding it very fun to play and do this same thing over and over. It just feels kind of flat to me. Still enjoying it for what it is, though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man... when does this game release? Because it is so fucking bought.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Was wondering if anyone had collected/seen/knows about the actual progression path through the jobs. Specifically ... i'd like to know what exactly i need to use/learn to get to assassin. Do you simply work your way up the ranger path... then pick assassin? do i need to get strider then ranger then assassin? or more of a combination of classes?

Deadstar

Don't know what you're talking here. I played with kb and mouse on pc and it had the best controls of any recent third person action game. The combat is more similar to Dark Souls than a God of War so I guess if you're button mashing the controls would seem off. If you weren't button mashing then maybe you were playing on a gamepad?

In my opinion, the controls were tight and Geralt did exactly what I intended him to do in every fight. It was a ton of fun.

Emitan

Downloaded the demo twice from PSN and it took 90 minutes each time. It took like 15 minutes to download on 360. Now to try it out!

Midou

Don't know what you're talking here. I played with kb and mouse on pc and it had the best controls of any recent third person action game. The combat is more similar to Dark Souls than a God of War so I guess if you're button mashing the controls would seem off. If you weren't button mashing then maybe you were playing on a gamepad?

In my opinion, the controls were tight and Geralt did exactly what I intended him to do in every fight. It was a ton of fun.

I always felt it had some obvious Souls games influence. The dodging had to be timed pretty well to be effective.

Skilletor

I play on a gamepad, on PC. Nothing wrong with the controls at all.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

Witcher 1 felt incredibly slow/plodding/formulaic. Click... wait for fire sword.. click ... wait ... click ... fast stance for fast enemeies... heavy stance for big guys... group stance for .. huh.. groups of people. Fin.

There was really no point in attempting to maneuver or position yourself. Very much an rpg with a pretty coating that looks like an action game.. but isn't. This is an Action RPG... less diablo .. more DMC. imo..

ironcreed

Banned
I think that Griffin fight is kind of random, the thing is deadly if you let it fly around and use his moves, lol

Facing ones that are leveled up will offer up some epic moments for sure. This was just a taste. Fighting dragons in Skyrim does not have shit on this.

Midou

Witcher 1 felt incredibly slow/plodding/formulaic. Click... wait for fire sword.. click ... wait ... click ... fast stance for fast enemeies... heavy stance for big guys... group stance for .. huh.. groups of people. Fin.

There was really no point in attempting to maneuver or position yourself. Very much an rpg with a pretty coating that looks like an action game.. but isn't. This is an Action RPG... less diablo .. more DMC. imo..

Pretty sure we're talking about Witcher 2, which is very much an action RPG.

abundant

Was wondering if anyone had collected/seen/knows about the actual progression path through the jobs. Specifically ... i'd like to know what exactly i need to use/learn to get to assassin. Do you simply work your way up the ranger path... then pick assassin? do i need to get strider then ranger then assassin? or more of a combination of classes?

There's no set path. Once you reach a certain level, you unlock the advanced classes, then the hybrid classes.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Pretty sure we're talking about Witcher 2, which is very much an action RPG.

I figured that the games would be similar enough i could comment but if they strayed far enough away from the click and wait interface... cool!
Personally still hyped hoping for some truly high level play ... once the skills and their button associations are burned into my brain i'm gonna be all over these big monsters.

edit:

There's no set path. Once you reach a certain level, you unlock the advanced classes, then the hybrid classes.

Fucking glorious. A chance to try out the warrior and ranger before going assassin 5-lyfe!

george_us

Witcher 2 lacks the precision of Dark Souls imo but yeah, I feel they're pretty similar.

doomquake

I am sold after 3 play throughs. I waited for the sun to rise with the griffon 2nd run.

But, I am worried.

Invisible walls in the full game? PLEASE NO CAPCOM.

Overall I am very impressed with what the ps3 can do...and really it seems dark souls could have looked like this - but I will have to try the full game first before I make a concrete statement that Dark Souls graphics are total ass.

Evolved1

In the retail game... can you update your character's appearance after the initial creation?

Derrick01

Banned
I am sold after 3 play throughs. I waited for the sun to rise with the griffon 2nd run.

But, I am worried.

Overall I am very impressed with what the ps3 can do...and really it seems dark souls could have looked like this - but I will have to try the full game first before I make a concrete statement that Dark Souls graphics are total ass.

I wouldn't worry too much about invisible walls. Even skyrim has them as there have been times that I've tried to climb around mountains and I reach a sudden impasse, but it's not enough to ruin the game or anything like that.

I don't expect this game to restrict exploration like that outside of a few mountains. They seem to rely on impossible enemies that kill you for going too far instead of invisible walls.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

But, I am worried.

Open world. no invisible walls.

Grisby

How do I make my pawn a mage? I picked what looked like it might be the class and then changed the body type so it wouldn't be a 10-year old girl. However, upon starting the field quest my pawn was a warrior of some sorts.
I had fun with the demo.

I was stabbing a flaming flying griffon's face in the air while my pawns were shooting it on a hill.

So bought.
Just played it a second time. It's awesome. All your pawns shouting while your stabbing it in the throat. Feels like a real battle with a living breathing creature.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just got done with the demo. Game looked gorgeous, really fantastic presentation. Framerate wasn't constant 30, but it was LIGHT YEARS better than what I played at E3 last year. Video walkthrough's to come.

Evolved1

How do I make my pawn a mage? I picked what looked like it might be the class and then changed the body type so it wouldn't be a 10-year old girl. However, upon starting the field quest my pawn was a warrior of some sorts.

Just played it a second time. It's awesome. All your pawns shouting while your stabbing it in the throat. Feels like a real battle with a living breathing creature.

I don't think you can use the created characters for the demo... the missions have pre-fab builds.

doomquake

All your pawns shouting while your stabbing it in the throat. Feels like a real battle with a living breathing creature.

It is pretty cool during frantic fights but in the Prologue mission it was very confusing with everyone talking at once about random stuff while just walking down a hall.

Arcteryx

But, I am worried.

Those are only in place due to the demo(hence the popups telling you to buy the full game to explore)

Anyone know if there will be more options to tweak the dialogue from pawns? I don't want to outright turn off pawn subtitles/dialogue, but damn....its almost borderline spam at times while fighting.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

Pawns in the demo are locked in as the classes you see. Full game you simply select what class you want them to be and away they go.

Top Bottom