• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh.

Don't make me bring up the shitty awful x-men "fight" scenes from X1 and 2.

1. I wasn't talking about X-Men.
2. I wasn't talking to you, though I know you're always bidding for my affections, which is the only reason you brought up the excellent combo of X1 and X2. X2 has plenty of great action scenes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the only action scene in the movie, right? Superman vs. a plane. Actually...it's Superman vs. gravity. I think that tells you everything you need to know about Superman Returns.

Don't worry, mang. Snyder will give you all the action you want, since you obviously don't care for whimsy. ;_;

G-Fex

1. I wasn't talking about X-Men.
2. I wasn't talking to you, though I know you're always bidding for my affections, which is the only reason you brought up the excellent combo of X1 and X2. X2 has plenty of great action scenes.

I don't care about talking to you Sculli, I can damn well interfere anytime I want. The King of games doesn't need to explain his hate for the first three x-men movies.

jett

D-Member
Don't worry, mang. Snyder will give you all the action you want, since you obviously don't care for whimsy. ;_;

by whimsy you mean creepy superstalking? :p

You know, when I watched SR in theaters the first time I came out thinking that it was really good(for some reason), but it's one of those movies that keeps getting progressively worse each time. It's just a mix of boring, bland and dull.

With the good amount of restraint Snyder could deliver the best supermang movie evar.

kswiston

Nah, probably more along the lines of mid-70s. A film of this type won't resonate with everyone. It'll still be "certified fresh," but I doubt it's going to hit the tomatometer level of Iron Man.

The movie will stay above 80%. Look at the review average: 8.3/10. If the review average was in the 7 range I would agree with you, but movies that have an average above 8 after 25 reviews typically stay in the 80-95 range. My prediction is 88%. Cream of the crop will be lower.

For real? None of those compete as a better action scene, apart from the Spider-Man 2 train fight. We're talking about action scenes and you're pulling out Joker's pencil tricks and prison scenes? Iron Man's action scenes?

So I guess you couldn't think of 10, huh?

For real? None of those compete as a better action scene, apart from the Spider-Man 2 train fight. We're talking about action scenes and you're pulling out Joker's pencil tricks and prison scenes? Iron Man's action scenes?

So I guess you couldn't think of 10, huh?

Actually, I mixed up the Dark Knight links, so I'll fix those, but everything up there is better than that dumbass plane scene. You're crazy if you really that was a good movie, or a good action scene.

Well, even the animated series had a better action scene than that.

Actually, I mixed up the Dark Knight links, so I'll fix those, but everything up there is better than that dumbass plane scene. You're crazy if you really that was a good movie, or a good action scene.

Well, even the animated series had a better action scene than that.

I'm crazy for thinking that the Returns plane scene was good? Alright, buddy.

I mean, I can understand not liking the movie, but saying that the plane rescue scene was plain bad while then calling me crazy is another thing.

JdFoX187

Banned
Superman Returns may have had a lot of issues, but there were two things going for it -- awesome visuals and overall design and the plane crash. There was such a great movie waiting to be made, but it just wasn't quite there.

MisterHero

Superman Returns's plane scene is probably an homage to the Fleischer short 'Japoteurs'

they should homage 'The Mechanical Monsters' next

I'm crazy for thinking that the Returns plane scene was good? Alright, buddy.

I mean, I can understand not liking the movie, but saying that the plane rescue scene was plain bad while then calling me crazy is another thing.

Superman vs a plane is just boring. There are lots and lots of possibilities out there for a cool scene involving flight and Superman. That is not one of them. Neither was lifting an island into the sky.
I expected more--the problem is that its not epic enough for his abilities. Punching out Darkseid, taking on Braniac, etc, those all have better potential for tension.

Meh movie, meh action scene. Hopefully he'll have a villain actually worthy of his power next time.
But this is derailing the thread. To each his own.

I'm looking forward to seeing one of my favorite teams finally on the big screen. I've avoided most footage and can't wait.

Superman punching through that wing that comes at him is about as cool as it gets imo.

What you're asking for has been seen already in that Hulk reboot and that film was boring as shit.

jett

D-Member
Superman punching through that wing that comes at him is about as cool as it gets imo.

What you're asking for has been seen already in that Hulk reboot and that film was boring as shit.

You know, the reboot was crap, but I really enjoyed the action scenes in Ang Lee's HULK, mutant poodles and all. His super jumping was pretty awesome too.

Man I think Superman is a really cool character. He just hasn't really been done justice since the first Donner film.

I could name a lot more dull superheroes. Some GAF favorites (*cough* Captain America *cough*)

jett

D-Member
I thought the tank scene and the final battle was pretty cool.

Definitely, the scenes in the desert were just badass and visually the last battle was indeed pretty awesome with Hulk and his father-thing disappearing into the night sky, only showing up in the brief flashes of lightning. Ang Lee just has a great eye for visuals.

Tobor

Man I think Superman is a really cool character. He just hasn't really been done justice since the first Donner film.

I could name a lot more dull superheroes. Some GAF favorites (*cough* Captain America *cough*)

Neither Superman or Captain America are inherently dull. They are similarly old fashioned.

The beauty of Cap's story is that he was seen as old fashioned even in the 60's. That's why Kirby and Lee devised the whole frozen in ice angle. As a fish out of water in a modern society that has left him behind, Cap is eternally interesting.

Similarly, Superman has been left behind by modern society, but without the narrative arc to play off of.

My ideal Superman movie as a result is one of two scenarios. A 30s/50s period piece, or a modern plot where Superman has been around since the 30's. Or both in the same film. In any case, you can use the characters trappings as an advantage. I'd like to see an older actor in the role, as well. Older than we've seen anyway. Jon Hamm, for example.

Platy

Found this on a tumblr

The best thing about The Avengers cast is the fact that they believe 100% that they ARE The Avengers.
h57aM.gif

sFplk.gif

89U8y.gif

Nizz

Just bought my tickets to the midnight showing. We so excited.
Enjoy, dude. :)

I still have to see Thor, that's the only one of the Avengers group whose movie I haven't watched yet. Then I'll be all caught up for Avengers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I would put AT LEAST the Incredible Hulk fight, the SM2 train fight, the IM2 drone fight, and the Iron Man Gulmira-Jet sequence above the Superman Returns airplane scene.

apana

Not that anyone will take this advice but it will probably be best to talk about Dark Knight Rises vs. Avengers vs. Spiderman after they have all released and we've had some time to think about it. It was fun for a while but now these threads are going to get annoying if every other page is people arguing about the films.

DMczaf

Not that anyone will take this advice but it will probably be best to talk about Dark Knight Rises vs. Avengers vs. Spiderman after they have all released and we've had some time to think about it. It was fun for a while but now these threads are going to get annoying if every other page is people arguing about the films.

Let's get some fresh arguments going.

Daredevil or Blade 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom